SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Mar 01, 2012, 02:38 PM
Parkzone junkie
kalmon's Avatar
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,539 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillm1234 View Post
Will these batteries work well in the Beast 3D if I use the two UM x Beast Y-connector from Glenn? I'm a bit worried about the length of the leads.

http://heli-heli.com/items/heli-part...1SM-detail.htm
Anytime you use a 1s adapter you'll lose efficiency and power. You'd be better off buying the right batteries hyperion 2s240 from rcbabbel.

* wife moved the camera, I'll post pics of the battery tray/wires tonight *
-Brian
kalmon is online now Find More Posts by kalmon
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 01, 2012, 02:46 PM
Registered User
dragonshade's Avatar
United States, GA, Marietta
Joined Dec 2011
203 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillm1234 View Post
Will these batteries work well in the Beast 3D if I use the two UM x Beast Y-connector from Glenn? I'm a bit worried about the length of the leads.

http://heli-heli.com/items/heli-part...1SM-detail.htm
The connector is different on those.

Get these... http://www.allerc.com/hyperion-g3-cx...or-p-6479.html

Ordered without issue, love em, and they came in 2 business days, and are the right connector.
dragonshade is offline Find More Posts by dragonshade
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 01, 2012, 02:49 PM
Registered User
dragonshade's Avatar
United States, GA, Marietta
Joined Dec 2011
203 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
Anytime you use a 1s adapter you'll lose efficiency and power. You'd be better off buying the right batteries hyperion 2s240 from rcbabbel.

* wife moved the camera, I'll post pics of the battery tray/wires tonight *
-Brian


Brian... yes please do. Quite sure I know what you mean, but would like to see.
My tray is glued in rock solid.

As you guys know Horizon is sending me a new motor, but just ordered a V1 motor today, along with a couple 5043 props and a new spinner. That is the trick combo correct?

Had thought on the Styker motor, but do not want to lose flight time. Does anyone know the prop screw size... need to buy a small set of screwdirvers so I do not strip it out.

Joel... from reading back seems the V1/5043 combo may gain me 10mph top speed... is that correct?

Thanks to all of you as always

Ray
dragonshade is offline Find More Posts by dragonshade
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 01, 2012, 06:30 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
turboparker's Avatar
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,660 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonshade View Post
Brian... yes please do. Quite sure I know what you mean, but would like to see.
My tray is glued in rock solid.

As you guys know Horizon is sending me a new motor, but just ordered a V1 motor today, along with a couple 5043 props and a new spinner. That is the trick combo correct?

Had thought on the Styker motor, but do not want to lose flight time. Does anyone know the prop screw size... need to buy a small set of screwdirvers so I do not strip it out.

Joel... from reading back seems the V1/5043 combo may gain me 10mph top speed... is that correct?

Thanks to all of you as always

Ray
Ray,

That would be an ideal number. The actual number is likely lower. Remember, the speeds I posted are simply pitch-speeds - static RPM x pitch. Prop slippage, efficiency, unloading, and airframe drag are not taken into account - so the actual numbers will be different. What I will say is that the increased thrust & speed are very noticeable in flight.

Until someone does some proper radar passes (no angle/geometry errors) with the plane in various configurations, actual flight-speed will remain an educated guess, at best.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 01, 2012, 09:15 PM
Registered User
dragonshade's Avatar
United States, GA, Marietta
Joined Dec 2011
203 Posts
Thanks.. noticeable will be nice

Man, I hate to be the new kid with nothing but questions and problems.. but I have a secondary issue, and you guys are the BEST knowledge base on the B3D.

When talking to Horizon I mentioned the weird chatter I was hearing once in awhile, and the motor issue.. guess why he said we'll try the motor first. I noticed them about the same time. Today left work as the sun was setting (cannot wait for longer days).. wind had died to nothing.. put up for a flight. Hooked up a 240, the initial beep... then as I was waiting for the gyro/synch tones heard the chatter. Sounds like a mini machine gun for a half to a full second. Flew beautifully. After landing heard the chatter.. put the plane on the car roof.. sitting still... chatter. After listening closely no doubt it is the right wing aileron servo. I can watch it move the slightest bit as it chatters.. the other is fine. Control horn is solid. I really so do NOT want to open this 1 month old plane, and looking.. the servo seems to be a royal pain to replace. I have access to di-electric grease.. is this a known issue, and is there a way to fix it save for calling Horizon and having them send me a new servo?

Also I am seeing a crease at the elevator where the control horn attaches. I saw some failures earlier in the thread in this area. Is there a real way to strengthen it or is it this is a throwaway plane after 100 flights or so? Yes it has about 50-55 flights on it but most have been in less than 8mph wind.. 15 or so in the 10-12mph range, and once only in a 12 mph wind with 20 gusts. Really do love it, but now starting to get concerned.
dragonshade is offline Find More Posts by dragonshade
Last edited by dragonshade; Mar 01, 2012 at 09:25 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 01, 2012, 09:24 PM
Registered User
3d astronaut's Avatar
United States, MI, Paw Paw
Joined Sep 2011
4,102 Posts
Dropping the price on that as3x beast board. $50 shipped to continental U.S. if anyone is interested please shoot me a pm.

That being said.. I freaking love this plane!
3d astronaut is offline Find More Posts by 3d astronaut
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Fatshark Attitude 1.3ghz
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 01, 2012, 09:58 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
turboparker's Avatar
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,660 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonshade View Post
Thanks.. noticeable will be nice

Man, I hate to be the new kid with nothing but questions and problems.. but I have a secondary issue, and you guys are the BEST knowledge base on the B3D.

When talking to Horizon I mentioned the weird chatter I was hearing once in awhile, and the motor issue.. guess why he said we'll try the motor first. I noticed them about the same time. Today left work as the sun was setting (cannot wait for longer days).. wind had died to nothing.. put up for a flight. Hooked up a 240, the initial beep... then as I was waiting for the gyro/synch tones heard the chatter. Sounds like a mini machine gun for a half to a full second. Flew beautifully. After landing heard the chatter.. put the plane on the car roof.. sitting still... chatter. After listening closely no doubt it is the right wing aileron servo. I can watch it move the slightest bit as it chatters.. the other is fine. Control horn is solid. I really so do NOT want to open this 1 month old plane, and looking.. the servo seems to be a royal pain to replace. I have access to di-electric grease.. is this a known issue, and is there a way to fix it save for calling Horizon and having them send me a new servo?

Also I am seeing a crease at the elevator where the control horn attaches. I saw some failures earlier in the thread in this area. Is there a real way to strengthen it or is it this is a throwaway plane after 100 flights or so? Yes it has about 50-55 flights on it but most have been in less than 8mph wind.. 15 or so in the 10-12mph range, and once only in a 12 mph wind with 20 gusts. Really do love it, but now starting to get concerned.
Try some of this on the servo's resistive track: DeoxIT FaderLube F5. If it doesn't work, replace the servo.

Regarding the plane - it is most definitely not a throwaway after 100 flights or so! Quite a few of us have many hundreds of flights on our Beasts. I have over 100 hours on one of my V1s with no problems at all. To strengthen the area around the control horns, some people use a c/f strip, others use a strip of clear HD packing tape, and others spread a layer of foam-safe ca or a very thin layer of epoxy around the area.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 01, 2012, 10:16 PM
Registered User
dragonshade's Avatar
United States, GA, Marietta
Joined Dec 2011
203 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Try some of this on the servo's resistive track: DeoxIT FaderLube F5. If it doesn't work, replace the servo.

Regarding the plane - it is most definitely not a throwaway after 100 flights or so! Quite a few of us have many hundreds of flights on our Beasts. I have over 100 hours on one of my V1s with no problems at all. To strengthen the area around the control horns, some people use a c/f strip, others use a strip of clear HD packing tape, and others spread a layer of foam-safe ca or a very thin layer of epoxy around the area.

Joel
Please bear with me.. lol.. what is the resistive track? Do I just kinda spray it into the servo? Seems one piece with the plastic housing.
dragonshade is offline Find More Posts by dragonshade
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 02, 2012, 07:48 AM
**I'm Battman**
RCBABBEL's Avatar
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,569 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonshade View Post
Please bear with me.. lol.. what is the resistive track? Do I just kinda spray it into the servo? Seems one piece with the plastic housing.

http://www.parkflyingfun.com/ParkZone_linear_servo.html

rc
RCBABBEL is online now Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 02, 2012, 08:11 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudflying View Post
Dropping the price on that as3x beast board. $50 shipped to continental U.S. if anyone is interested please shoot me a pm.

That being said.. I freaking love this plane!
Are you willing to ship to Canada? If you use Paypal, I will gladly pay the difference in shipping.
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 02, 2012, 08:18 AM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
pugsam's Avatar
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,527 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBABBEL View Post
Wow, thanks RC, that's great info!

(The kind of stuff I love to read, but likely will never actually try because I'd probably screw it up!)

pugsam is offline Find More Posts by pugsam
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 02, 2012, 09:04 AM
Too much to do not enough time
BobaFett1138's Avatar
Wisconsin
Joined Sep 2010
273 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsam View Post
(The kind of stuff I love to read, but likely will never actually try because I'd probably screw it up!)

Agreed. It is simply giving me the tools for my own destruction....
BobaFett1138 is offline Find More Posts by BobaFett1138
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 02, 2012, 11:09 AM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
pugsam's Avatar
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,527 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobaFett1138 View Post
Agreed. It is simply giving me the tools for my own destruction....
Yup.

A little knowledge can be a dangerous thing....

pugsam is offline Find More Posts by pugsam
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 02, 2012, 11:14 AM
Registered User
dragonshade's Avatar
United States, GA, Marietta
Joined Dec 2011
203 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobaFett1138 View Post
Agreed. It is simply giving me the tools for my own destruction....

LOL... kinda how I feel too. Reading through looks like I would try to cut the servo free from the the little foam spacer that gives it clearance at the wing. Then try to disassemble enough to access the resistive tracks, then try to put it all back together and glue it back.... scary lol.

I have a guy here at work who races RC cars.. telling me it is the servo hunting for neutral. Looking at the plane the control horn is solid, but there is some looseness in the servo rod... meaning I can gently wiggle the ailerons and have the slightest freeplay. He suggested tightening the u-bend until there is a slight pressure (will screw up trim a touch, but better than tearing things apart). Says sometimes that will stop the hunting. He had had a few car servos do this and says eventually if it continues they will overheat and lock up. Though I do know the B3D servos are intended for constant adjustments (but maybe not machine-gun scatto)... so perhaps it would be ok. Also gonna make a call to Horizon to see what they say. Another idea my buddy had was since I first noticed this when I noticed the motor getting flakey.. I should first replace the motor. If it is arcing could be sending too much current to the servos, and if this one is a touch weaker than the left could be causing this, or the faulty motor could be drawing too much current and causing low voltage to the servo. So... hate to say it but guess I am grounding my B3D until I get my new motor/motors. Man I hope it is that.

RC... I appreciate the link... but not really wanting to even attempt it.
dragonshade is offline Find More Posts by dragonshade
Last edited by dragonshade; Mar 02, 2012 at 01:20 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 02, 2012, 02:28 PM
Parkzone junkie
kalmon's Avatar
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,539 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonshade View Post
Brian... yes please do. Quite sure I know what you mean, but would like to see.
My tray is glued in rock solid.

As you guys know Horizon is sending me a new motor, but just ordered a V1 motor today, along with a couple 5043 props and a new spinner. That is the trick combo correct?

Had thought on the Styker motor, but do not want to lose flight time. Does anyone know the prop screw size... need to buy a small set of screwdirvers so I do not strip it out.

Joel... from reading back seems the V1/5043 combo may gain me 10mph top speed... is that correct?

Thanks to all of you as always

Ray
Here are the pictures of where the wires go through. Note the new custom 5030x2.25 bladed prop. That was a casualty of the lockup crash I had at the huge indoor event. I noticed in the pictures that the battery tray is now broke free of the motor mount, I can assure you it was glued securely before the crash when I changed the motor.
Regarding the 2300+5043 v. the 3000+5030 combos: They are very close in power with a slight edge to the 3000kv, both are WAY more than stock and noticeable in the air you wont go wrong with either setup.
I used a #0 Phillips for it but I'd bet a #1 would work to,might be a little to big. It doesn't have to be torqued on to 700 ft/lbs just snug it then give it another 1/4 turn. That's what I've been doing and haven't had any prop slippage yet.

-Brian
kalmon is online now Find More Posts by kalmon
Last edited by kalmon; Mar 02, 2012 at 02:44 PM. Reason: Speeling dificulttees
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Official Eflite UMX Beast Owners thread! darksiede Micro Ready-to-Fly 18358 Yesterday 01:32 PM
Sold Eflite UMX Beast w/3batt and charger $120 shipped RobDog Aircraft - Electric - Micro & Indoor Airplanes (FS/W) 2 Feb 06, 2011 09:40 PM
Wanted eflite UMX Beast fnlrun Aircraft - Electric - Micro & Indoor Airplanes (FS/W) 11 Dec 12, 2010 04:23 AM
Sold eflite UMX BEAST TERMAGATOR Aircraft - Electric - Micro & Indoor Airplanes (FS/W) 8 Dec 04, 2010 01:16 AM