SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 29, 2012, 11:09 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,176 Posts
Brian,

Sorry to hear about your crash! It really sucks to loose a ship due to electrical failure. Good to hear that you got her fixed up.

Keith,

Also sorry to hear about your crash! Good to hear that she was reparable - but I'd wait for the new hatch before taking her up again - as Bob suggested. It also annoys me when people start yelling at me while I'm flying, but I have learned to ignore them for the most part. For decades, I was used to flying at AMA-sanctioned fields where you don't get any of that. When I started flying smaller planes at parks & school lots, I soon learned that the general public has little regard for the level of concentration required to fly our "toy planes" - as they often call them. At first I found it very distracting when people would even attempt to talk to me while I was flying, but I sort of got used to it after awhile. Nowadays, I tell them (in a stern voice) to wait until after I've landed.

DS,

Regarding motor choice - Brian nailed it! This bird really comes alive with either the 3000Kv/5030 or 2300Kv/5043 combo - provided that high-quality packs are used. And you've already got the packs! If your hobby budget allows, definitely dump the stocker!

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 29, 2012, 11:32 AM
Joined Oct 2009
226 Posts
Motor problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonshade View Post
Well everyone... looks like we have a motor failure. Took the Beast to my LHS (where I bought her).. hooked it up for the RC plane guy to hear. We put the throttle to 1/3 and there it was sounding crappy and warbling.. then went to normal.. then back. Throttled up and it kept doing it. We hooked up 3 different fully charged batteries and same thing. Almost like I was hitting a button... normal... crappy half power and warble sound... back to normal. He tried adjusting my throttle setting down and then did some test he claimed would show a glitch if it was the ESC... no change. Then went on to say his buddy had some plane he took out the box and did this... it was a motor stater problem and I should call Horizon.

IMO as much as I love this plane a motor issue in less than 1 month and 40 (maybe) flights.. not cool. Guess I'll be calling Horizon tomorrow, I have read they take care of people. I do not want to be without the plane, really do not want to cut decals and crack the fuse on a defective 3 week old plane, and will be mentioning a few things I had knowingly overlooked until this current issue... the tail does not seem to be centered fully from the factory. Noticed it does take about 4-5 clicks to the right rudder to trim after surfaces are manually centered (noticed this about 5 flights in). The right lower aileron is a bit too low.. top aileron is dead on, left side is perfect, but lower right is a few mm down. I would be very happy if they will exchange the plane given everything, and will fill you guys in on the convo.

Wish me luck... we shall see.

No expert here, by anybodies stretch of imagination, but surprised to hear that a motor, especially brushless would have an "intermittent" problem.
Please let me/us know how this comes out, and any input from anybody here would be informative.

Good luck, RUD
RUDDERLESS is offline Find More Posts by RUDDERLESS
Old Feb 29, 2012, 12:31 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,746 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonshade View Post
The aileron is only the lower right. The CF support links with the aileron CF rod so really no adjustment, just off from the build.

P.s... that sucks. What was the loss of input from?
I'll have no way of knowing for sure, but with the amount of people there in a big metal room I'd guess signal interference/loss. Also could have been a combination of a things. in a building that size there are some pretty nasty down drafts. Also there were 40"+ planes flying around, lots of them. Those create quite nasty wing tip vortices. My sbach rolled over 120* after crossing well behind a very large slow foam plane. All said though it was a blast to fly there. never any fewer than 20 planes up at once.

As far as the wing adjustment just bend the U bend until the lower and upper ailerons are equally out in both directions. You'll get a small amount of drag/yaw on that side but it should be better than roll!

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Feb 29, 2012, 01:00 PM
Joined Dec 2008
345 Posts
I have a question on bending the U bend. With the servos being so small should the battery be unplugged before making any adjustments to it? Sure don't want to strip any servo gears.

Bob
thinman is offline Find More Posts by thinman
Old Feb 29, 2012, 01:35 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinman View Post
I have a question on bending the U bend. With the servos being so small should the battery be unplugged before making any adjustments to it? Sure don't want to strip any servo gears.

Bob
Bob,

Even though a screw-jack linear servo can't be operated from the output side, like one can do with a rotary servo - I still pull the battery when adjusting the U-bends on the UM planes, just to be on the safe side. With AS3X , I fire the bird up & let it initialize (being careful to not engage AS3X by bumping the throttle), then I pull the battery & adjust the U-bends, as needed.

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 29, 2012, 02:49 PM
Parkzone junkie
Joined Oct 2008
3,746 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Bob,

Even though a screw-jack linear servo can't be operated from the output side, like one can do with a rotary servo - I still pull the battery when adjusting the U-bends on the UM planes, just to be on the safe side. With AS3X , I fire the bird up & let it initialize (being careful to not engage AS3X by bumping the throttle), then I pull the battery & adjust the U-bends, as needed.

Joel
+1 same process I use as well.

-Brian
Old Feb 29, 2012, 03:02 PM
Joined Dec 2008
345 Posts
Thanks Joel.

Bob
thinman is offline Find More Posts by thinman
Old Feb 29, 2012, 04:22 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
I got a replacement servo from HH (excellent customer service as always) due to my fluttering issue. For those of you that have replaced the servos or done a full wing replacement... what adhesive are you using to attache the servo to the wing?
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Feb 29, 2012, 04:31 PM
Joined Mar 2011
103 Posts
I myself use ff ca. . cut off old foam ,put new pieces I cut mine from foam plates
Wayne on Maui is offline Find More Posts by Wayne on Maui
Old Feb 29, 2012, 04:58 PM
Joined Feb 2012
5 Posts
My Beast 3d is out for delivery, woohoo!

Right now I have a bunch of 3.7V 120 to 150mAH (14C) batteries for my Champ and a Y-connector that connects two 1S Ultra Micro Batteries together with a Beast connector on the other end.

Seems like I should be able to use these batteries (albeit with shortened flight times). Hoping to get maybe 2 to 3 minutes. Any reason this won't work?
hillm1234 is offline Find More Posts by hillm1234
Old Feb 29, 2012, 05:03 PM
Parkzone junkie
Joined Oct 2008
3,746 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
I got a replacement servo from HH (excellent customer service as always) due to my fluttering issue. For those of you that have replaced the servos or done a full wing replacement... what adhesive are you using to attache the servo to the wing?
I use foam safe ca. Placed a drop in corners. There is a small hole in each corner of the PCB. When I attached the small white spacer piece I made sure the CA squeezed through the hole a little to make sure there was enough there. After that was dry I attached the hole assembly to the wing with a light bead of CA along the length of the spacer. Enough so that when you press it to the wing the edges look "wet" but not glue oozing out.

Let me know how the fluttering is after the servo replacement. Mine still flutters like crazy at high speed, but is solid as a rock at slow speeds.

-Brian
Old Feb 29, 2012, 05:13 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
I use foam safe ca. Placed a drop in corners. There is a small hole in each corner of the PCB. When I attached the small white spacer piece I made sure the CA squeezed through the hole a little to make sure there was enough there. After that was dry I attached the hole assembly to the wing with a light bead of CA along the length of the spacer. Enough so that when you press it to the wing the edges look "wet" but not glue oozing out.

Let me know how the fluttering is after the servo replacement. Mine still flutters like crazy at high speed, but is solid as a rock at slow speeds.

-Brian
Thanks. The customer service rep assured me that this was a servo issue and not a board issue. We shall see. I'll keep you posted. If you look at my last video you can see the flutter going nuts on a few hovers and even on some of my slow KE passes.
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Feb 29, 2012, 05:18 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,176 Posts
Stuffed Beast

Here's the clip of me dumb-thumbing the B3D into the pavement the other day. On closer inspection, she was repairable, so the Sbach will have to wait a bit longer to get AS3Xed.

Crashing my UMX Beast 3D (4 min 49 sec)

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 29, 2012, 06:00 PM
Too much to do not enough time
Wisconsin
Joined Sep 2010
273 Posts
Oh, that didn't look good.... glad to hear she's ok though.

Real quick question for you guys. It's a cold wet day in Wisconsin, but I decided to fly the beast around a couple times just to get my fix. (It's been CRAZY windy the last 2 weeks) Did a few circuits, couple hammerheads, a few loops, etc. Set up my approach after about a minute and a half, and landed to make sure my recent aileron repair was holding up. About 3 feet off, it rolled violently left, neutralized, and then rolled again. Fortunately I was quick enough on the sticks to get away only scraping the wingtip (and very glad I land on high rates). But as I taxied back, the left aileron was going skitzo. Full up-aileron, neutral. repeat in a consistent pattern. no control inputs would do anything to it, only the right aileron works.

Now this has happened to me before, I'll be flying and the left aileron will quit and neutralize. I never really thought it to be a big deal, as the effects weren't major and I figured it was just a factor of a really wet day. But had I been any higher off the ground, my beast would have gone in hard, into a house, tree, or pond. None of which I'm thrilled with. It's extremely odd, only the left servo is effected. And I was flying my V1 beast in worse weather than this. One time I was slogging through a rain shower, and another time I plopped the servos in a lake. Worked just fine. But this servo is quitting on me FAR too often for my tastes. Again, it's got to be related to temperature/water, but I can't figure out why the right aileron is plugging along like nothing happened. Anyone have any ideas? I'm combing my room for my receipt and look if horizon can do something for me, but considering how many times I've had unfortunate meeting with the ground I think they might be a wee bit skeptical....
BobaFett1138 is offline Find More Posts by BobaFett1138
Old Feb 29, 2012, 06:41 PM
Joined Feb 2012
5 Posts
My flight plans were delayed by UPS package handling.

hillm1234 is offline Find More Posts by hillm1234