HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 25, 2012, 08:16 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,786 Posts
I wanted a PA Bandit or Extra MX but I've heard bad reports of fit and finnish of supposedly checked at the factory airframes...
SilentPilot is online now Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Parkzone Ka8 telemetry install
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 25, 2012, 10:30 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,493 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPilot View Post
I wanted a PA Bandit or Extra MX but I've heard bad reports of fit and finnish of supposedly checked at the factory airframes...
SP,

I follow the PA Bandit & Extra 260 threads. Most of the reports I've read have been positive; however I know that there have been complaints about having to do some sanding on the Bandit's motor box to get the motor to fit correctly. I haven't read anything about fit & finish problems on the 48" Extra 260, however.

I've been flying the PA 48" Extra 260 w/IPAs since '09. The fit & finish is much better than previous ARFs I have 'built'. I have nearly 250 hours on the plane, with no problems whatsoever. Due to the construction technique, it only needs a 3s 2200 to beat the competition on 4s. (Depending upon prop choice, you get between 2.5:1 & 2.9:1 thrust-to-weight with the factory setup on a 3s 2200 pack.) Also, the 9 oz/sq ft wing-loading makes it fly like an IMAC ship. Of course, the low wing-loading also means that it's not the best choice for flying on windy days.

Back to the Beast....

Looks like great Minnesota flying weather today! It's supposed to be in the mid-20s with a 5-10 MPH wind & maybe a couple of flurries. Packs are charging.....

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
Old Feb 25, 2012, 11:06 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPilot View Post
I personally have never flown anything from PA but I don't think you'd be disappointed. However, if you're concerned about the issues folks have complained about then look at the other two major companies operating in that space - 3D Hobby Shop and Extreme Flight. I own planes from both of these companies and they are absolutely top notch. I love my 3DHS planes and they have a very active and loyal following here on the forums so nearly instantaneous support is just a message away.

IMHO, I believe that the Extreme Flight build quality is a notch above anything out on the market right now. And the planes fly VERY well. The customer base doesn't seem quite as active on the forums but there are still quite a few dedicated customers who are always happy to help answer any questions.
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Feb 26, 2012, 05:18 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
After a long day of flying my bigger planes... I came home and threw the Beast up in the air. It was windy (around 10-11mph) but the Beast handled it well.

3D Beast - Front Yard Flying (6 min 52 sec)
Old Feb 26, 2012, 07:42 PM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,943 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
After a long day of flying my bigger planes... I came home and threw the Beast up in the air. It was windy (around 10-11mph) but the Beast handled it well.
Outstanding.

(You know what's becoming almost creepy??? It's getting so that I'd instantly recognize various places that I've never been.....for example, your cul-de-sac, Joel's flying field and incredible indoor facility, Erkq's estate, and RG's snowy roads.)

pugsam is offline Find More Posts by pugsam
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 26, 2012, 07:48 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsam View Post
Outstanding.

(You know what's becoming almost creepy??? It's getting so that I'd instantly recognize various places that I've never been.....for example, your cul-de-sac, Joel's flying field and incredible indoor facility, Erkq's estate, and RG's snowy roads.)

You're welcome to come visit my cul-de-sac anytime you want!! We can have a Beast party!!
Old Feb 26, 2012, 07:51 PM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,943 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
You're welcome to come visit my cul-de-sac anytime you want!! We can have a Beast party!!
Would I have to post a video of my crashes there?

pugsam is offline Find More Posts by pugsam
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 26, 2012, 07:57 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsam View Post
Would I have to post a video of my crashes there?

Nah!! We can edit those out...except for the good ones!
Old Feb 27, 2012, 12:10 AM
Joined Jul 2011
135 Posts
Hey guys, just bought a new umx beast 3d, i was wondering can anyone help me is there a way i can charge these batteries i bought for the beast

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...mpatible_.html

and be able to use this charger that i also bought to charge them

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

is there a special connector or something i need?
keithy351 is offline Find More Posts by keithy351
Old Feb 27, 2012, 06:13 AM
United States, WA, Kent
Joined Sep 2001
718 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithy351 View Post
Hey guys, just bought a new umx beast 3d, i was wondering can anyone help me is there a way i can charge these batteries i bought for the beast

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...mpatible_.html

and be able to use this charger that i also bought to charge them

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

is there a special connector or something i need?
Sure, that's no problem. Just get a connector from rc-connectors, something like this http://www.rc-connectors.com/index.p...roducts_id=254
Or one where you can charge a couple at a time.

Then your good to go!
joemi is offline Find More Posts by joemi
Old Feb 27, 2012, 07:11 AM
Joined Jul 2011
135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemi View Post
Sure, that's no problem. Just get a connector from rc-connectors, something like this http://www.rc-connectors.com/index.p...roducts_id=254
Or one where you can charge a couple at a time.

Then your good to go!
thankyou very much for your help
Old Feb 27, 2012, 06:08 PM
United States, OK, Oklahoma City
Joined Jan 2012
26 Posts
Just had the maiden with mine today and all I can say is, what a great little airplane! This thing is a blast after the flyin the bigger models.
bradenj is offline Find More Posts by bradenj
Old Feb 28, 2012, 08:11 AM
Joined Jul 2011
135 Posts
had my second flight today...... 1 tree in the entire park and i crashed into it about 20ft up in the air it was stuck..... a quick climb i got it but i lost my battery cover and broke a few bits, i was a bit upset but oh well, some glue and it looks like new
Old Feb 28, 2012, 11:46 AM
United States, GA, Marietta
Joined Dec 2011
203 Posts
I remember my maiden with this plane and how I was instantly in love lol.

BTW... got 2 beautiful flights in yesterday with zero wind.. and still love the Beast 3D. Since it is rare that I have no winds put it full throttle vertical and started rolling... and rolling.. and rolling.. went straight up and keep climbing until it was only a dot.. impressive.

Though friends... I do need some advice/input. I now have about 50 flights on it. I now am flying with my Hyperion 180's and 240's to break them in well. It is worth saying I only have the crappy Eflite Celectra charger. I really do no know how long I should wait between flights.. have been pretty much landing, taking out the battery, putting in a new one and going back up. After maybe 3-4 flights may wait 5-10 mins then back up. Anyway.. I first noticed this on my first flights with the 240's.. I had maybe 2 flights, put in the third 240 and I heard a twitching.. little different from the servo AS3X twitching.... from inside the plane. This happened before the gyro synched... so As3x was not even active yet. The gyro synched and flight was normal. I am also noticing at times a weird sound to the engine... kind of a wah wah wah sound at part and full throttle with a full battery pack. I noticed this again yesterday... second flight. Just put battery in (240 full) and gave it near full throttle very fast while holding the plane. It sounded weak and made a strange noise... then it sounded like the motor kinda caught up to itself... sped up to a clean full throttle sound. Guess I should not have but put up the plane... no issues. Thinking maybe the prop nut is loose I took a glasses repair screwdriver and really didn't get any turn on it but did snug it up. Feels funny though... I could have snugged it more felt like, but didn't want to strip anything. But it was for sure not "loose". After this I put in a couple batteries and spun it up fast through the throttle range... only normal sounds.

Does anyone have any ideas?
dragonshade is offline Find More Posts by dragonshade
Old Feb 28, 2012, 12:12 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,493 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonshade View Post
I remember my maiden with this plane and how I was instantly in love lol.

BTW... got 2 beautiful flights in yesterday with zero wind.. and still love the Beast 3D. Since it is rare that I have no winds put it full throttle vertical and started rolling... and rolling.. and rolling.. went straight up and keep climbing until it was only a dot.. impressive.

Though friends... I do need some advice/input. I now have about 50 flights on it. I now am flying with my Hyperion 180's and 240's to break them in well. It is worth saying I only have the crappy Eflite Celectra charger. I really do no know how long I should wait between flights.. have been pretty much landing, taking out the battery, putting in a new one and going back up. After maybe 3-4 flights may wait 5-10 mins then back up. Anyway.. I first noticed this on my first flights with the 240's.. I had maybe 2 flights, put in the third 240 and I heard a twitching.. little different from the servo AS3X twitching.... from inside the plane. This happened before the gyro synched... so As3x was not even active yet. The gyro synched and flight was normal. I am also noticing at times a weird sound to the engine... kind of a wah wah wah sound at part and full throttle with a full battery pack. I noticed this again yesterday... second flight. Just put battery in (240 full) and gave it near full throttle very fast while holding the plane. It sounded weak and made a strange noise... then it sounded like the motor kinda caught up to itself... sped up to a clean full throttle sound. Guess I should not have but put up the plane... no issues. Thinking maybe the prop nut is loose I took a glasses repair screwdriver and really didn't get any turn on it but did snug it up. Feels funny though... I could have snugged it more felt like, but didn't want to strip anything. But it was for sure not "loose". After this I put in a couple batteries and spun it up fast through the throttle range... only normal sounds.

Does anyone have any ideas?
How long do you typically fly on a pack? Do you typically fly until the motor pulses, or do land well-before that point?

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker