Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 24, 2012, 12:13 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonshade View Post
Lol... I'd be afraid to fly indoors... but then again reading through the thread I'd be afraid to fly at Joel's house too... with those power lines (nice vid).

Couple more questions my most knowing new friends...

I have 2 flights (damn wind).. at 3 mins each on my new Hyperion 180's. I should have 3 240's tomorrow. What difference (if any) will I see between them? Thinking of setting my timer for 4 mins for a few cycles, is that best?

Also wondering what the top speed of the Beast 3D is (mph).. or what it will be with my 240's... stock otherwise. I'd love it to be faster of course but am curious what speed I am actually dealing with with this plane.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
Joel,

Your indoor field is larger than my outdoor flying area! How high are those ceilings? They look like there is a fair amount of room up there, Enough to do a scale looking loop?

-Brian
Dragonshade,

I still fly from that same spot, but I've been tempted to put in a permanent runway for UM planes. I'd put it right in the middle of my north yard, which is the yard I was flying over in the video.

As Erkq noted - the Beast isn't about speed. I'd say maybe in the low-20s in stock form & maybe high-20s with the 2300 Kv motor on a 5043 & Hyp 240. Since the Beast 3D uses the Sbach motor, see my Sbach prop testing below to get an idea of the relative performance differences between props & packs. Of course, actual speeds will be lower than the pitch-speeds below, since slippage & airframe drag are not taken into account. However, the relative differences will give you an idea as to the percentage of increase that could be expected:

RPM taken under natural light with a calibrated optical tach, 30 sec into each run on a freshly-charged pack:

Elevation: 910 ft AMSL
Temp: 70 F

------------ Eflite 180 - Hyp 180 - Hyp 240 - Thrust (g)* - Speed (MPH)**

Eflite V3 ----- 9,570 ---- 10,400 -- 10,560 --- 80/96/99 ---- 24.9/27.1/27.5
Eflite V4 ----- 9,510 ---- 10,380 -- 10,530 --- 79/95/98 ---- 24.7/26.8/27.4
GWS 5030 - 9,960 ---- 10,860 --- 11,000 -- 96/115/118 -- 28.3/30.8/31.3
GWS 5043 - 7,900 ----- 8,540 ----- 8,880 -- 84/99/108 --- 32.2/34.8/36.2

*Calculated using the GWS prop spreadsheet
**Calculated pitch-speed. Prop slippage and in-flight unloading not taken into account.

Brian,

Yeah, it's pretty big in that video. We had three soccer courts side-by-side that night. We don't always get the whole place, though. Sometimes we start with one soccer court & then we get two or three courts for the last hour or so. We each pay $10 for three hours of flying - an unbelievably excellent deal!

The ceiling is maybe 30-40 feet, I'd guess. And yes, I can loop the Beast in there, along with the Sbach & Champ. However, I wouldn't exactly call them scale loops. I can also do a full aerobatic routine with the mQX.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by turboparker; Feb 24, 2012 at 12:29 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 24, 2012, 06:49 AM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,524 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Brian,

Yeah, it's pretty big in that video. We had three soccer courts side-by-side that night. We don't always get the whole place, though. Sometimes we start with one soccer court & then we get two or three courts for the last hour or so. We each pay $10 for three hours of flying - an unbelievably excellent deal!

The ceiling is maybe 30-40 feet, I'd guess. And yes, I can loop the Beast in there, along with the Sbach & Champ. However, I wouldn't exactly call them scale loops. I can also do a full aerobatic routine with the mQX.

Joel
Yeah I'd pay $10 every day for that place! Yeah i've looped the beast in about 10 ft, maybe less, just slow it down and get the nose up and then cob the power and elevator and she'll almost turn on herself. Just gotta pay attention on the rudder and aileron to keep it from snapping out.

The mQX frightens me, I've flew one of my club member's a couple times and I found it REALLY hard to maintain orientation with it. At anything over 10-15ft away and can't see what way that silver center section is pointing. That and the thing is just a responsive as my mCPx is to "cyclic".

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Feb 24, 2012, 11:59 AM
United States, IN, Bloomington
Joined Jan 2012
314 Posts
What is the best way to place the Hyp 240 mah batteries in the Beast 3D? I cant seem to get the battery in and the COG correct and then have room to put the cowl back on.
Lumpy05 is offline Find More Posts by Lumpy05
Old Feb 24, 2012, 12:14 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumpy05 View Post
What is the best way to place the Hyp 240 mah batteries in the Beast 3D? I cant seem to get the battery in and the COG correct and then have room to put the cowl back on.
I put my 240's all the way back so that they are fully under the lip of the hatch. Then the cowl fits on just fine.

The further back you can get the CG on this plane the better IMHO but most of my flying is slow and low (harriers, hovers, etc).
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Feb 24, 2012, 12:21 PM
Joined Jan 2012
314 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
I put my 240's all the way back so that they are fully under the lip of the hatch. Then the cowl fits on just fine.

The further back you can get the CG on this plane the better IMHO but most of my flying is slow and low (harriers, hovers, etc).
Thanks that helped, I removed most of the velcro strip I put on the battery and then pushed the battery back under and the CG seems much better and the cowl goes on easily. The pack was hard to remove because the velcro wouldnt let go though.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 12:24 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Thanks that helped, I removed most of the velcro strip I put on the battery and then pushed the battery back under and the CG seems much better and the cowl goes on easily. The pack was hard to remove because the velcro wouldnt let go though.
Yea - that is a little bit of a pain but the velco will eventually loosen up a bit (as it gets worn down). Another option is to attach some sort of "tab" to your battery that allows you to pull it out. Yet another option that some use it a tab that acts sort-of like a shoe horn. You place it under the battery while slide it in and then wedge it in between the battery and the velcro when you're ready to remove the battery.

Me... I just reach in there and pull it out. My method isn't great as it eventually kills the velcro...
Old Feb 24, 2012, 12:27 PM
Joined Jan 2012
314 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
Yea - that is a little bit of a pain but the velco will eventually loosen up a bit (as it gets worn down). Another option is to attach some sort of "tab" to your battery that allows you to pull it out. Yet another option that some use it a tab that acts sort-of like a shoe horn. You place it under the battery while slide it in and then wedge it in between the battery and the velcro when you're ready to remove the battery.

Me... I just reach in there and pull it out. My method isn't great as it eventually kills the velcro...
Thanks that is another excellent tip!
Old Feb 24, 2012, 12:41 PM
United States, GA, Marietta
Joined Dec 2011
203 Posts
Joel... thanks. I'm watching the vid thinking... I would just fly in that field and do grass landings lol... that left slip on landing wow. Ok.. thanks for clearing that up. I have so little to go on... coming from my UMP51 the Beast to me seemed fast.. now not so much. Part of my reason for the question is to figure out what plane I want to add next. One thought is a T-28, but I was afraid it would bore me (as in my mind the beast will do everything it does, and more). I want a bigger plane, and have heard the T28 does about 50 mph. So.. that 30 mph difference would keep me into the plane I suppose. Don't get me wrong I love the Beast, but want something faster and larger, but don't want to make a bad decision. LOL... I really want a Yak 54, but think that may a bit too much right now.

Turnerm... Thanks for the windy info last page. I would LOVE to fly with you at some point. Really never in your area, but if you do come to Georgia for a visit shoot me a message... I'll take you over to my home field for a day of flying.
dragonshade is offline Find More Posts by dragonshade
Old Feb 24, 2012, 12:44 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Turnerm... Thanks for the windy info last page. I would LOVE to fly with you at some point. Really never in your area, but if you do come to Georgia for a visit shoot me a message... I'll take you over to my home field for a day of flying.
Absolutely!
Old Feb 24, 2012, 12:45 PM
Team Twisted!
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Jun 2011
1,670 Posts
Quote:
Thanks that is another excellent tip!
"Shoe Horn" method works well, that's what I do too, with the same technique. Just cut a small oval/rectangle shape thin flexible plastic and keep it in your flight box.
cdee
cdee is online now Find More Posts by cdee
Old Feb 24, 2012, 01:11 PM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,547 Posts
I prefer my X-acto stainless steel batt tool.
Thin and stiff enough to do the batt removal/install job very well.
Also has the added features of being a straight-edge and ruler when needed.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=13471

rc
RCBABBEL is online now Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 24, 2012, 01:21 PM
Joined Jan 2012
314 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBABBEL View Post
I prefer my X-acto stainless steel batt tool.
Thin and stiff enough to do the batt removal/install job very well.
Also has the added features of being a straight-edge and ruler when needed.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=13471

rc
That does look handy. Maybe I can find it at Hobby Lobby or michaels and get one with a coupon.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 05:01 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,524 Posts
Quote:
Part of my reason for the question is to figure out what plane I want to add next. One thought is a T-28, but I was afraid it would bore me (as in my mind the beast will do everything it does, and more). I want a bigger plane, and have heard the T28 does about 50 mph. So.. that 30 mph difference would keep me into the plane I suppose. Don't get me wrong I love the Beast, but want something faster and larger, but don't want to make a bad decision. LOL... I really want a Yak 54, but think that may a bit too much right now.
How much room do you have to fly? Do you have access to a large park free of obstructions? Is there a RC field close by? What type of flying do you want to do(3D, sport aero, precision, scale)?These are also very important questions as to which plane to get next. If you can handle the beast than you'd probably be fine with a good quality aero plane. There have been mixed reviews about the parkzone Extra300, 3Dhobbyshop would be one I would definitely recommend. Their buck huck is a great plane if you want to get into a balsa ARF. If you have room their Extra 330SC is an amazing plane. If you wanted to stay in a BNF/Horizon package the CarbonZ Yak is a nice plane. I've heard that you have to stay on top of the landings but in the air the plane is good.

Too many variables though. If you answer the questions I asked above we''ll be able to give some more appropriate answers.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Feb 24, 2012, 05:11 PM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
3,971 Posts
+1 for the PZ Extra!

It does have it's faults though, it is very CG sensitive and too much elevator throw can catch you out. That said though it is a VERY tough airplane that just begs to be flown!
SilentPilot is offline Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LemonRx V3 stab in Parkzone Ka8
Old Feb 25, 2012, 02:26 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,530 Posts
Also check out Precision Aerobatics. Their 48-50" planes fly like IMAC ships.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member