HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 23, 2012, 09:27 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,533 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudflying View Post
Ok I feel like an idiot lol.. I cannot find for the life of me the plug I need. I need the plug that the battery plugs into. I dont need it to have a wire but that would be a problem. I am converting a few planes to use my hyperions so I dont have to carry around a ton of different batteries. Can someone PLEASE provide a link for me? Im begging you lol.

Took the beast out today and had a blast. Last flight I was messing around on 100% rates without any expo and nosed it into the ground full throttle. I was going into the wind and caught a gust and it just spun to the ground too fast for me to react. Snapped the left aileron off and broke the bottom left wing clean off. Laughing all the way to the bird! Was a clean break so I just threw some ca on and shes good as new. This thing rocks!
CF,

Sorry to hear about your crash! Glad to hear that she's airworthy again! You can get the connector (and pretty much any other UM connector you may need) from Glenn @ RC Connectors.

Connector w/pigtail: http://www.rc-connectors.com/index.p...roducts_id=360

Connector: http://www.rc-connectors.com/index.p...roducts_id=244

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 23, 2012, 10:03 AM
United States, GA, Marietta
Joined Dec 2011
203 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradenj View Post
How much expo are you guys using? I just picked my beast up today.
Depends on how much experience you have. I started on the Beast with 70% rates, and 30% expo. After awhile you start to the notice the deadness in the center on the controls... then it is time to lower the expo... 10% at a time.

As mentioned the manual says nothing about expo, but I can say for sure that the 30% saved this plane a few times in the early flights.

Let us know what you think.

Ray
dragonshade is offline Find More Posts by dragonshade
Old Feb 23, 2012, 10:34 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
I stumbled upon an indoor flying session here locally. I didn't even know they existed. So I showed up on Tuesday night. The spot was tight. It was only the size of a normal basketball court and there were probably 10 or so flyers. They split the time between 3D guys and regular micros. I flew my Beast during the regular sessions (although I broked all the rules - rollers, hovering, harriers, etc) and my Crack Yak EPP during the 3D session.

This was my first experience at such an event and I had fun but probably won't go back with my Beast. I could fly it just fine within those small confines but it's the other flyers that caused my issues. I had three mid-air collisions... all of which seemed to be from people flying out of control. But whatever... it was still fun. A few funny/cool moments though:
  • First of all - the 3D Beast is a whole different plane when flown in this sort of environment. With absolutely zero wind I was doing things I've never done before. I actually held it in a torque roll for quite a while which was cool.
  • There was a guy that seemed to want to race everyone. He was flying the UM P-51. Once I got tired of constantly letting him get ahead and then passing him I added insult to injury by passing him inverted! He landed soon after. I almost felt bad!
  • I did an inverted rudder drag. Awesome!! Never even tried that before.
  • Inverted harriers were just smooth as silk!!
  • KE was tough to nearly impossible because I could only attempt to set it up on the long side of the court and by then I had to turn. I did manage to do it but with so many crazy planes in the air I eventually quit trying... it was just too crowded.
  • I did a few upright harrier rudder/tail wheel drags too. Those were cool but actually more difficult to pull off than my inverted rudder drags for some reason.

I wish I had a good indoor spot to spend some serious 3D Beast time in (alone). It honestly flies like a whole different plane this way!

Unforunately though - I got some dings in my wings from other props crashing into me. Oh well. I also had to do an emergency inverted landing because someone swooped down on my while I was in inverted harrier. The plane landed like a champ upside down!

Anyone else get to fly their Beast indoors yet? If not... you have to atleast try it out. Pretty cool!
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Feb 23, 2012, 10:40 AM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
....A few funny/cool moments though:.....
Great stuff!

I'd buy a ticket to see it.

pugsam is offline Find More Posts by pugsam
Old Feb 23, 2012, 11:00 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsam View Post
Great stuff!

I'd buy a ticket to see it.

I REALLY wish I had my camera with me for the event. I actually meant to bring it but in my rush to get out the door I forgot.

My wife does some wellness work for a local recreation center and they have a fairly large gym. I may see if she can sweet talk my way in there for some before or after hours flying. Would be SWEET!!!
Old Feb 23, 2012, 11:05 AM
Joined Dec 2011
203 Posts
LOL on the UMP51... don't feel bad.. it will make him get a new plane (prolly a beast 3d lol), which he'll enjoy more anyway.

Funny.. seems to be indoor flying and collisions from other planes that damage most beasts when reading the threads.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 11:32 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,533 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
I stumbled upon an indoor flying session here locally. I didn't even know they existed. So I showed up on Tuesday night. The spot was tight. It was only the size of a normal basketball court and there were probably 10 or so flyers. They split the time between 3D guys and regular micros. I flew my Beast during the regular sessions (although I broked all the rules - rollers, hovering, harriers, etc) and my Crack Yak EPP during the 3D session.

This was my first experience at such an event and I had fun but probably won't go back with my Beast. I could fly it just fine within those small confines but it's the other flyers that caused my issues. I had three mid-air collisions... all of which seemed to be from people flying out of control. But whatever... it was still fun. A few funny/cool moments though:
  • First of all - the 3D Beast is a whole different plane when flown in this sort of environment. With absolutely zero wind I was doing things I've never done before. I actually held it in a torque roll for quite a while which was cool.
  • There was a guy that seemed to want to race everyone. He was flying the UM P-51. Once I got tired of constantly letting him get ahead and then passing him I added insult to injury by passing him inverted! He landed soon after. I almost felt bad!
  • I did an inverted rudder drag. Awesome!! Never even tried that before.
  • Inverted harriers were just smooth as silk!!
  • KE was tough to nearly impossible because I could only attempt to set it up on the long side of the court and by then I had to turn. I did manage to do it but with so many crazy planes in the air I eventually quit trying... it was just too crowded.
  • I did a few upright harrier rudder/tail wheel drags too. Those were cool but actually more difficult to pull off than my inverted rudder drags for some reason.

I wish I had a good indoor spot to spend some serious 3D Beast time in (alone). It honestly flies like a whole different plane this way!

Unforunately though - I got some dings in my wings from other props crashing into me. Oh well. I also had to do an emergency inverted landing because someone swooped down on my while I was in inverted harrier. The plane landed like a champ upside down!

Anyone else get to fly their Beast indoors yet? If not... you have to atleast try it out. Pretty cool!
Turnerm,

I fly the B3D indoors nearly every Sat night during our indoor flying season. It's an absolute blast when we get 2 or 3 soccer courts side-by-side. I've flown it in a single court, but it's pretty much just a constant turn - not all that much fun, and there's no time for even an aileron roll on the "straights".

We fly off AstroTurf, so I needed some 'tundra tires' for the Beast. I'm using DuBro's 1.25" Mini Lites: http://shop.dubro.com/products/produ...3.0.0.0?pp=12&

Your experience sounds similar to my experiences at our (much larger) indoor spot! Seems like the size of the venue doesn't matter much - we have plenty of mid-airs even when we get three soccer courts side-by-side! One thing I've noticed - AS3X is a big help during mid-airs! I've seen a few relatively large 3D foamies bite the dust after hitting my little Beast 3D, while the B3D just shrugged-off the contact. The looks on the other pilots' faces when their 250-300W birds got knocked out of the sky by a 16" UM were priceless!

Here's a clip of me flying the B3D indoors:

Having fun with the Beast 3D indoors (13 min 40 sec)

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 23, 2012, 12:24 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Turnerm,

I fly the B3D indoors nearly every Sat night during our indoor flying season. It's an absolute blast when we get 2 or 3 soccer courts side-by-side. I've flown it in a single court, but it's pretty much just a constant turn - not all that much fun, and there's no time for even an aileron roll on the "straights".

We fly off AstroTurf, so I needed some 'tundra tires' for the Beast. I'm using DuBro's 1.25" Mini Lites: http://shop.dubro.com/products/produ...3.0.0.0?pp=12&

Your experience sounds similar to my experiences at our (much larger) indoor spot! Seems like the size of the venue doesn't matter much - we have plenty of mid-airs even when we get three soccer courts side-by-side! One thing I've noticed - AS3X is a big help during mid-airs! I've seen a few relatively large 3D foamies bite the dust after hitting my little Beast 3D, while the B3D just shrugged-off the contact. The looks on the other pilots' faces when their 250-300W birds got knocked out of the sky by a 16" UM were priceless!

Here's a clip of me flying the B3D indoors:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVfEQ57y5f4

Joel
Cool! I'll have to check the video out tonight (can't view YouTube at work).

And yes - the gyro system REALLY helped during those mid-air collisions. The one where I was in inverted harrier - I could've actually saved it but I ran out of room and had to put her down. The Beast really wanted to stay in the air - it was so cool!
Old Feb 23, 2012, 04:39 PM
Joined Dec 2011
203 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hone1er View Post
http://www.progressiverc.com/paralle...beast-umx.html for 2 more dollars you can charge 6 instead of one and its available now. I recieved mine 4 days after placing my order. A friend of mine got the same cable, it works great
Will this work with the Eflite Celectra (or whatever its called)... or does it have to be a better charger??
Old Feb 23, 2012, 04:46 PM
Joined Dec 2011
203 Posts
Lol... I'd be afraid to fly indoors... but then again reading through the thread I'd be afraid to fly at Joel's house too... with those power lines (nice vid).

Couple more questions my most knowing new friends...

I have 2 flights (damn wind).. at 3 mins each on my new Hyperion 180's. I should have 3 240's tomorrow. What difference (if any) will I see between them? Thinking of setting my timer for 4 mins for a few cycles, is that best?

Also wondering what the top speed of the Beast 3D is (mph).. or what it will be with my 240's... stock otherwise. I'd love it to be faster of course but am curious what speed I am actually dealing with with this plane.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 05:03 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,524 Posts
Joel,

Your indoor field is larger than my outdoor flying area! How high are those ceilings? They look like there is a fair amount of room up there, Enough to do a scale looking loop?

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Feb 23, 2012, 05:10 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,524 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonshade View Post
Lol... I'd be afraid to fly indoors... but then again reading through the thread I'd be afraid to fly at Joel's house too... with those power lines (nice vid).

Couple more questions my most knowing new friends...

I have 2 flights (damn wind).. at 3 mins each on my new Hyperion 180's. I should have 3 240's tomorrow. What difference (if any) will I see between them? Thinking of setting my timer for 4 mins for a few cycles, is that best?

Also wondering what the top speed of the Beast 3D is (mph).. or what it will be with my 240's... stock otherwise. I'd love it to be faster of course but am curious what speed I am actually dealing with with this plane.
if the plane is completely stock I'd only expect to see a 2-3mph difference between the two. You will notice the acceleration will be a little better though. But you really need to change the prop or even better the motor and prop.

As to the battery time, I broke my 240 in on 3.5min on my 5030x3 prop on a 3000kv motor, now I get 5 even and put back between 180-200mAh. So, Yeah 4min stock is plenty conservative. I'd guess you'd get 7ish min once they are broke in. Someone else here that flies them on stock will report in I'm sure.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Feb 23, 2012, 05:14 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
6,992 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonshade View Post
The Beast is definitely not about speed. I don't have a specific answer, though.
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Feb 23, 2012, 05:24 PM
RC Airplane (Recently Crashed)
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jan 2011
2,789 Posts
Ha ... at my age if the beast was any faster I wouldn't be able to see it!!
mutha is offline Find More Posts by mutha
Old Feb 23, 2012, 05:31 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
6,992 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutha View Post
Ha ... at my age if the beast was any faster I wouldn't be able to see it!!
Definitely don't get a UM Stryker, then, or even the Sbach. The Beast is very relaxing compared to those. But, they can both fly slow too, especially the Stryker.
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq