HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 15, 2012, 12:08 AM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,418 Posts
I predict when Sparky at parkflyerplastics.com does the little vac form radial for this thing, it will have the correct number of cylinders....

I predict we will have to remove some foam where the current radial graphic is, as there is only a 1/8" recess in the cowl for the current radial graphic.

No Gee Bee flying for me for a few days...am off to PA on a trip for work.
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 15, 2012, 12:29 AM
Foam Floats Better
The Big Country of TX.
Joined Oct 2004
2,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas B View Post
I predict when Sparky at parkflyerplastics.com does the little vac form radial for this thing, it will have the correct number of cylinders....

I predict we will have to remove some foam where the current radial graphic is, as there is only a 1/8" recess in the cowl for the current radial graphic.

No Gee Bee flying for me for a few days...am off to PA on a trip for work.
Have a good trip Thomas.

I finally bought a vacuum forming machine, and was thinking of tackling the project myself, but I would need to buy thinner material than I currently have.
And, find more time then I have.

Also, personally, I would prefer to use a negative mold to vacuum into, rather than a plug. Would get much better detail that way, but not sure if the extra trouble would be worth it.
Probably will just make myself a 'one off' out of foam and such instead.
More than likely I won't do anything, just leave it as is.

I noticed that the bottom half of the cylinder part of the cowl, looks pretty structural, and I don't think it could just be cut out, and a have a detail radial replica installed deep enough in the cowl, without adding some reinforcement to the motor mount.
UAVPilot is offline Find More Posts by UAVPilot
Old Feb 15, 2012, 02:33 AM
Flying is Fun.Even if U Crash!
Australia, VIC, Ringwood
Joined Jul 2010
435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteSchug View Post
I'd get one. 3/4ths throttle is plenty for takeoff/launch and a half a minute later you don't have to worry about it anymore.

Pete
Yep I understand this thanks mate, but they would not sell me one....

They worried about warranty claims or something!

Regs Chris
Claydoc is offline Find More Posts by Claydoc
Old Feb 15, 2012, 03:14 AM
Confused? Who, me?
United Kingdom, England, North York
Joined Jan 2005
4,789 Posts
I thought I had a radial motor in my decal images but when I went looking it's a (blurred as in rotating) WW1 rotary. What the hell, it may be no good for the GeeBee but in case anyone needs a rotary one day, and while I've remembered where it is (which believe me is a significant achievement these days)...
Roger Lombard is offline Find More Posts by Roger Lombard
Old Feb 15, 2012, 07:02 AM
Utra-Micro RC Fan
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2011
27 Posts
6 batts through the GeeBee today and another two yesterday. It's a hoot!

Forgot about OCP yesterday and sent GeeBee into the air on a hand launch only to have OCP kick in and GeeBee plummet! No damage, phew! OCP seemed to go away today altogether. Never showed up once.

Inverted fly bys are getting down below 3 feet confidently (no wind). Oh yeah!

Touch and goes are my vice with this. Loving the challenge of lining up the GB on my local cricket pitch in a cross wind. I've taken on Dave Paynes landing advice, straight in approach with just a tad of throttle. Ailerons and rudder needed for directional adjustment. Don't pitch the wings up or you'll stall... It lands fast. It also likes to flip if you don't get the roll out right.

That said, landing gear is taking a beating with all this practice. Broke one of the gear in a heavy crosswind effort yesterday.Glue is my friend. One gear wire also broken, but temporary fix implemented.

Looking forward to availability of a replacement gear set. Anyone else beating up on the wheels?
brettg is offline Find More Posts by brettg
Old Feb 15, 2012, 07:23 AM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,823 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brettg View Post
It lands fast. It also likes to flip if you don't get the roll out right.... Anyone else beating up on the wheels?
Yes, BUT ... my initial toss resulted in a pretty good "contact with the earth" after the motor quit (OCP)...and I was initially landing it on (short) grass. One side ended coming completely off, and the other side eventually cracked above the wheels.

No problems now since I'm flying it off smooth surface.

Gene K
speedy01 is online now Find More Posts by speedy01
Last edited by speedy01; Feb 15, 2012 at 09:29 AM.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 07:44 AM
Utra-Micro RC Fan
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2011
27 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy01 View Post
Yes, BUT ... my initial toss resulted in a pretty good "contact with the earth" after the motor quit (OCP)...and I was initially landing it on (short) grass. One side ended coming completely, and the other side eventually cracked above the wheels.

No problems now since I'm flying it off smooth surface.

Gene K
Yes mine cracked through above one wheel too...
brettg is offline Find More Posts by brettg
Old Feb 15, 2012, 08:08 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,510 Posts
Quote:
Forgot about OCP yesterday and sent GeeBee into the air on a hand launch only to have OCP kick in and GeeBee plummet! No damage, phew! OCP seemed to go away today altogether. Never showed up once.
My guess is that it was perhaps a bit warmer yesterday when OCP kicked in .

Au
Quote:
stralia, VIC, Melbourne
This is summer season for downunder I believe.
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Feb 15, 2012, 10:24 AM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,085 Posts
Done four flights on my brand new GeeBee.
The detail is AMAZING!! I loved that they had the panel lines for the ingress/outgress hatch, the way its so scale and stubby and beautiful, so amazing, it would be worth alot just as a scale model!!
I would go to OCP on the ground once, and after that, if you slowly raise the throttle rather than jamming it up instantly, it'll be fine.
First flights, nervous as hell, its a new plane so i was controlling it rather than flying it. I was so nervous about the landing, but to my utter amazement, it landed and came to a stop rubber side down in an almost-3-point-2-point-landing.
Did three flights this morning, i was more comfortable and being able to fly it like my other planes. Haven't tried inverted yet, but rolls were slow and scale, but lose little altitude. When your yanking and banking down low with lots of throttle, its such joy, has anyone noticed this harsh vibration noise it makes when your banking hard with lots of throttle? I LOVE THAT NOISE, makes it so much more enjoyable. Such a sweet flying plane, i was able to do a beautifull main wheel landing, and a beautiful 3-pointer, with a couple aborted.
That stubby body and the stubby landing gear and everything, its just perfect, its a flying experience that is so exhileratingly exciting, yet very scale, risky, but comfortable, its my favorite plane. Im so in love with it.
HH making such a beautiful and satisfying airplane fly great for confident intermediate/advanced pilots is so amazing. I noticed, the rudder has a REAL hinge as well as a beefier control horn than they usually use!!
It has real pants, the wheels are great, landings are as satisfying as very few things in life are, the detail, the way it flies, the sound it makes when you turn hard and give lots of throttle, I thought i fell in love with the mossie, i thought i fell in love with the beast, i thought i fell in love with the Stryker, but this plane makes me flustered and blush. I love it.
One question, i have only one gripe, when you adjust the rudder so the center is 1mm right, that also means the tail gear, meaning that when you come down, it veers right and wing scrapes, what are you guys doing about this? Guess i should just learn to give left rudder when the tail touches down, its not like the full-scale one didn't use rudder alot while landing/taking-off!!!
Well you know how i feel now. Im in love.
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
Old Feb 15, 2012, 10:46 AM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,823 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claydoc View Post
Yep I understand this thanks mate, but they would not sell me one....

They worried about warranty claims or something!
I can appreciate the shop's concern since the average buyer will likely not be a RCGroups reader who's aware of the problem and how to work around it. However, if the shop put the "official" HH service bulletin on/in the box, that should make the shop less reluctant to let them go.

It will be interesting to see how HH resolves this since short of a total recall (at least for those who want/need it resolved), I don't see a fix for the initial batch. Expecting the "average" patron to replace the brick seems unreasonable.

Gene K
(who can live with the faulty OCP now that I know ....)
Old Feb 15, 2012, 11:42 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Aug 2011
292 Posts
Yes I read Z8RC's blog almost everyday. Have you seen his latest post with the AS3X problems? Anyone else notice it with their GB or MCP X?
AS3X Flight Control Problems From Low Frequency Propeller Resonance (0 min 58 sec)
sandy11 is offline Find More Posts by sandy11
Last edited by sandy11; Feb 15, 2012 at 11:49 AM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 15, 2012, 11:52 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy01 View Post
It will be interesting to see how HH resolves this since short of a total recall (at least for those who want/need it resolved), I don't see a fix for the initial batch. Expecting the "average" patron to replace the brick seems unreasonable
Replacing the propeller much is easier...
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Feb 15, 2012, 12:18 PM
Your customer
Berkley, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,382 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy11 View Post
Yes I read Z8RC's blog almost everyday. Have you seen his latest post with the AS3X problems? Anyone else notice it with their GB or MCP X?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nv61FD6pV4w
This is inherent in all gyro based systems. It can be "minimized" with software/hardware vibration filters ($$$), balancing rotating components or any other component that is causing vibration, placing the sensors/boards on vibration dampening supports, and the adjustment of the gain via software.

This occurs on all flybarless helicopters, but the huge gyroscopic forces of the main blades will dampen out these small oscillations - this includes the MCPx (good luck looking for it).

What's in the video is nothing to worry about. When the plane is flying in the air, the prop will unload and the force of the air over the control surfaces will decrease or dampen these oscillations out. It will not affect the plane. Now if you have a badly balanced prop, or a cracked fuse or a wing that starts to vibrate at a higher amplitude and frequency in the air then yes you'll start to see an affect.

If your concerned about this, you can remove the board and place an anti-vibration gyro doublesided sticky pad underneath it (Spartan/Futaba/Kyosho/3M). Also note that the glue you apply to affix the spinner to the prop can throw the whole assembly out of balance - you have to balance the spinner + prop + backing plate as an assembly.

If you want more info on anti-vibration dampening, pay a visit to any of the flybarless Nitro Helicopter forums or do a search for "gyro dampening", "gyro anti-vibration", "gyro pad"....etc....

-----------------------------------------------
Here is info from one of the leading makers of Helicopter tail gyros:

http://www.spartan-rc.com/resources/...q.php?topic=20
-----------------------------------------------
Silverexpress is offline Find More Posts by Silverexpress
Last edited by Silverexpress; Feb 15, 2012 at 01:19 PM.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 12:22 PM
Go Fly Something!!
USA, VA, Charlottesville
Joined Jan 2009
858 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazingStar View Post
That's the only one I missed in the series so far do you happen to have two?

So I settle for my paper one. Sits on a dime!
Sorry no I don't have a spare...wish I did!

Don
AMA 384859
dlt2859 is online now Find More Posts by dlt2859
Old Feb 15, 2012, 12:25 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,823 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
Replacing the propeller much is easier...
True, of course! As I said, I'm enjoying mine, even more so after I disregarded HH's advice to just fly without programming. I looked at the downloaded Beast expo settings and compromised with 55% ailerons, 75% elevator, and 0% rudder. Works for me.

Gene K