HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Feb 11, 2013, 08:25 PM
Use the 4S Luke
feathermerchant's Avatar
USA, TX, Euless
Joined Aug 2003
9,344 Posts
It says $99 on my screen. Any fine print?
feathermerchant is offline Find More Posts by feathermerchant
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2013, 08:28 PM
MJF
Waiting Fer Da SEFF
MJF's Avatar
United States, GA, Perry
Joined Jul 2010
1,319 Posts
did you type 'GeeBee" in coupon code
MJF is offline Find More Posts by MJF
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: got another plane
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 08:30 PM
MJF
Waiting Fer Da SEFF
MJF's Avatar
United States, GA, Perry
Joined Jul 2010
1,319 Posts
$35.10 off-----so it still works
MJF is offline Find More Posts by MJF
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: got another plane
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 08:49 PM
Registered User
brushless55's Avatar
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
4,048 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloosee View Post
I'm sure its a great battery, (TP always are) but its awfully expensive (as TP always are), I like to bring 6-8 packs with me to the field, that's why I run the cheaper stuff. Maybe I'll get a couple.
same as me but I have about 12 of the Nano 300 packs now that I bring to the field and also a 6 port balance charger that I can charge 6 at a time in about 12min flat!
no need to bring a charger to the field when I have this many packs with me...

not sure if you have the 65/130c packs but they do pack a wallop!

I do want to try a TP 65c if I can find a really good deal on one just to see how it does against the 65/130c Nanos
brushless55 is offline Find More Posts by brushless55
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 08:51 PM
Registered User
Joined Mar 2010
1,337 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
You guys who are using the low-power, low cycle-life Zippys & Nanos aught to try a TP 325 65c pack. The difference in flight-performance is like night & day. Plus, you get 10x the cycle-life @ 12c charge, which more than compensates for the difference in price.

Joel
65C is pretty amassing stuff. I am surprised though that the little motors in the Beast and GB can really benefit from all the current capacity, but obviously you've experienced it. I can understand the quicker charge time and greater life..

I might give a couple a try. Thanks..

Four are on their way http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...-THP3252SPP65B
rtbates is offline Find More Posts by rtbates
Last edited by rtbates; Feb 11, 2013 at 08:58 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 08:54 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
turboparker's Avatar
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brushless55 View Post
.....
I do want to try a TP 65c if I can find a really good deal on one just to see how it does against the 65/130c Nanos
The TPs will blow the Nanos away. Just like how the new 35c Hyps blow the Nanos away. Somebody did some load-testing over in the MiG 15 mod thread awhile back. I think they included the Nano 65c packs, but I can't remember for sure. Anyway, the TP 325 65c easily outperformed everything at these currents. It's also obvious just by listening to the MiG. Listen to the pitch of mine when I go to WOT, and then compare it to the pitch of others who are running the Nanos or pretty much any other pack. You can clearly hear the difference in RPM.

Also, I tested the TP 325s against the new Hyp 400 & 500 VX 35c packs (which outperform the Nano 65c packs), and the TP 325 provides a higher thrust-to-weight than even the Hyp 500 35c. The Hyp does generate more thrust, but not enough more to compensate for its greater weight.

Also, there's no way that those Nanos will ever see more than a small fraction of the TP's 600-cycle lifespan. Nanos typically start to fade before they reach 50-60 cycles.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by turboparker; Feb 11, 2013 at 09:03 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 08:59 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
turboparker's Avatar
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbates View Post
65C is pretty amassing stuff. I am surprised though that the little motors in the Beast and GB can really benefit from all the current capacity, but obviously you've experienced it. I can understand the quicker charge time and greater life..

I might give a couple a try. Thanks..
It's all about voltage under load - and the TP 65c packs hold voltage under load at these currents much better than the others.

Here's an example:

RPM taken under natural light with a calibrated optical tach, 30 sec into each run on a freshly-charged pack:

Motor/prop: UMX 2500Kv/GWS 5030
Elevation: 910 ft AMSL
Temp: 70 F

------------- Hyp 240 - TP 325 65c - Hyp 500 35c - Thrust (g)* ---- Speed (MPH)**

Stock prop - 10,550 ---- 10,770 -------- 11,100 ----- 99/103/110 --- 27.5/28/28.9
GWS 5030 - 11,010 ---- 11,160 -------- 11,340 --- 118/121/125 -- 31.3/31.7/32.2
GWS 5043 -- 8,910 ------ 9,040 --------- 9,210 ---- 108/112/116 -- 36.2/36.8/37.5

*Calculated using the GWS prop spreadsheet
**Calculated pitch-speed. Prop slippage and in-flight unloading not taken into account.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 11, 2013, 09:06 PM
Registered User
Joined Mar 2010
1,337 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
It's all about voltage under load - and the TP 65c packs hold voltage under load at these currents much better than the others.

Here's an example:

RPM taken under natural light with a calibrated optical tach, 30 sec into each run on a freshly-charged pack:

Motor/prop: UMX 2500Kv/GWS 5030
Elevation: 910 ft AMSL
Temp: 70 F

------------- Hyp 240 - TP 325 65c - Hyp 500 35c - Thrust (g)* ---- Speed (MPH)**

Stock prop - 10,550 ---- 10,770 -------- 11,100 ----- 99/103/110 --- 27.5/28/28.9
GWS 5030 - 11,010 ---- 11,160 -------- 11,340 --- 118/121/125 -- 31.3/31.7/32.2
GWS 5043 -- 8,910 ------ 9,040 --------- 9,210 ---- 108/112/116 -- 36.2/36.8/37.5

*Calculated using the GWS prop spreadsheet
**Calculated pitch-speed. Prop slippage and in-flight unloading not taken into account.

Joel
How many amps can I charge into these puppies without harming them? I am tired of waiting 30-40 min per charge!

I just read the 325 65C enlarged image and see that they say to charge at 12C 3.9 A MAX. What do you feel about using 3A?

I'm currently charging my Zippy at .7A so that'll be a big improvement to say the least!
rtbates is offline Find More Posts by rtbates
Last edited by rtbates; Feb 11, 2013 at 09:42 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 09:09 PM
Registered User
brushless55's Avatar
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
4,048 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post

Also, there's no way that those Nanos will ever see more than a small fraction of the TP's 600-cycle lifespan. Nanos typically start to fade before they reach 50-60 cycles.

Joel

I have 75 cycles on 3 and 100+ cycles on another 3 and they are doing great
they have the same power as my newer ones do

and again I can charge 6 at a time in almost no time

like I said before, if I can find or someone can find for me a great deal on a TP 65c I will buy one to try it out..
brushless55 is offline Find More Posts by brushless55
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 09:43 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
turboparker's Avatar
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbates View Post
How many amps can I charge into these puppies without harming them? I am tired of waiting 30-40 min per charge!
They're designed for 12c balance-charging, provided that you're using an extremely accurate charger. Just multiply the capacity by the charge c-rating & that's the max charge current. I usually charge mine at 10c (3.25A) just to take it easy on them. You can read about the charger requirements for 12c charging on TP's website.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:12 PM
SoCal fair weather flyer
Bloosee's Avatar
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2012
2,952 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
It's all about voltage under load - and the TP 65c packs hold voltage under load at these currents much better than the others.

Here's an example:

RPM taken under natural light with a calibrated optical tach, 30 sec into each run on a freshly-charged pack:

Motor/prop: UMX 2500Kv/GWS 5030
Elevation: 910 ft AMSL
Temp: 70 F

------------- Hyp 240 - TP 325 65c - Hyp 500 35c - Thrust (g)* ---- Speed (MPH)**

Stock prop - 10,550 ---- 10,770 -------- 11,100 ----- 99/103/110 --- 27.5/28/28.9
GWS 5030 - 11,010 ---- 11,160 -------- 11,340 --- 118/121/125 -- 31.3/31.7/32.2
GWS 5043 -- 8,910 ------ 9,040 --------- 9,210 ---- 108/112/116 -- 36.2/36.8/37.5

*Calculated using the GWS prop spreadsheet
**Calculated pitch-speed. Prop slippage and in-flight unloading not taken into account.

Joel
Looking at the numbers, it appears the hyp240 is very close to the TP325, and considering the Hyp240 has to be lighter, that seems like the best of the three. I do have some of the Hyp240's and they are superior to the Nano260 but just slightly, and at twice the cost. The hyperion's should last longer though. I'm not concerned at all with fast charging, I don't do any field charging.

I don't have the Gee Bee yet but with the Sbach and Beast I prefer light weight over high speed. I like to run the V1 Beast REALLY light.
Bloosee is online now Find More Posts by Bloosee
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:52 PM
Registered User
brushless55's Avatar
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
4,048 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloosee View Post
Looking at the numbers, it appears the hyp240 is very close to the TP325, and considering the Hyp240 has to be lighter, that seems like the best of the three. I do have some of the Hyp240's and they are superior to the Nano260 but just slightly, and at twice the cost. The hyperion's should last longer though. I'm not concerned at all with fast charging, I don't do any field charging.

I don't have the Gee Bee yet but with the Sbach and Beast I prefer light weight over high speed. I like to run the V1 Beast REALLY light.
good to know, thank you for your post
brushless55 is offline Find More Posts by brushless55
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:10 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
turboparker's Avatar
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloosee View Post
Looking at the numbers, it appears the hyp240 is very close to the TP325, and considering the Hyp240 has to be lighter, that seems like the best of the three. I do have some of the Hyp240's and they are superior to the Nano260 but just slightly, and at twice the cost. The hyperion's should last longer though. I'm not concerned at all with fast charging, I don't do any field charging.

I don't have the Gee Bee yet but with the Sbach and Beast I prefer light weight over high speed. I like to run the V1 Beast REALLY light.
As I said, the TP 325s provide the highest thrust-to-weight of all those packs - including the Hyp 240. Keep in mind that we were looking at the 2500Kv motor, which is a lot less powerful than the 2300Kv or 3000Kv motors. It behaves differently with various props, as well. I think the TP 325 is too heavy for the Beast. I fly mine on Hyp 180 3s packs. But the TP 325 is the ideal pack for the Gee Bee & Carbon Cub, and also for the Sbach 3D - unless you're doing 3D. My flight-test videos clearly show the difference in performance between the packs in the various airframes. See my blog thread for flight-test comparisons.

Here's my actual Gee Bee testing:

Here's some static RPM data with the GWS 5030 on the Hyperion 240, 320, and 450 mAh 2s packs. The THP 325 only has 5 cycles on it, so its performance should improve after break-in. RPM taken under natural light with a calibrated optical tach, 20 sec into each run on a freshly-charged pack:

UMX Bee Bee
Elevation: 910 ft AMSL
Temp: 70 F
Prop: GWS 5030

-------------- RPM ---- Thrust (g)* - Speed (MPH)**

Hyp 450 -- 12980 ----- 161 ----------- 36.90
THP 325 - 12800 ----- 156 ----------- 36.36
Hyp 320 -- 12600 ----- 151 ----------- 35.80
Hyp 240 -- 12240 ----- 142 ----------- 34.80

*Calculated using the GWS prop spreadsheet
**Calculated pitch-speed. Prop slippage and in-flight unloading not taken into account.

Going by the above:

EW ------- 88.24g

Hyp 240 -- 14.46g
Hyp 320 -- 18.80g
THP 325 - 20.80g
Hyp 450 -- 25.28g

--------------- AUW -- Thrust/weight -- Wing-loading

Hyp 240 -- 102.70g ----- 1.38:1 ------- 7.21 oz/sq ft
Hyp 320 -- 107.04g ----- 1.41:1 ------- 7.51 oz/sq ft
THP 325 - 109.04g ----- 1.43:1 ------- 7.65 oz/sq ft
Hyp 450 - -113.52g ----- 1:42:1 ------- 7.97 oz/sq ft

Note that the Thunder Power 325 65c pack provides the best thrust-to-weight ratio.
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:29 AM
Registered User
Joined Mar 2010
1,337 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
They're designed for 12c balance-charging, provided that you're using an extremely accurate charger. Just multiply the capacity by the charge c-rating & that's the max charge current. I usually charge mine at 10c (3.25A) just to take it easy on them. You can read about the charger requirements for 12c charging on TP's website.

Joel
Thanks Joel for the information.. I really like the fact that charging them at 10C is considered, "taking it easy on them"!
rtbates is offline Find More Posts by rtbates
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:24 AM
Is it Friday yet?
DropTank's Avatar
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Jun 2008
693 Posts
My GeeBee should be here tomorrow. $73 was just to good to pass up. Anyway, do the GWS props fit the stock prop adapter?
DropTank is offline Find More Posts by DropTank
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help! Adrienne Paige Gee Bee R2 Plans Eric Giorgiantonio Fuel Plane Talk 5 Jan 30, 2012 12:02 AM
For Sale Herr Gee Bee R2 (NIB) 25" wingspan pdawg Aircraft - Electric - Micro & Indoor Airplanes (FS/W) 0 Oct 12, 2011 11:20 AM
Wanted Adrian Page Gee Bee Z 1/5th and/or Gee Bee R2 1/5th (looking for) Xanix Aircraft - Fuel - Airplanes (FS/W) 0 Jul 23, 2007 07:16 PM