HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 07, 2013, 12:00 PM
SoCal fair weather flyer
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2012
2,071 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Slensker View Post
$73.84 shipped at Red Rocket coupon code Gee Bee...
http://www.redrockethobbies.com/E-Fl...p/eflu4580.htm
Ordered mine last night as well

Kinda wanted a Gee Bee for some time, but couldn't justify the price, I'm more of a 3D guy, but at that price, had to do it! Looks fun in the videos, like a pattern plane.
Bloosee is offline Find More Posts by Bloosee
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2013, 02:21 PM
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
2,844 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFreak View Post
I just bought 2 from Hobby Zone for 64.99 each with free shipping. Use code CPNEFLU4580 at checkout.
Love to find that deal again with free shipping!!!
brushless55 is offline Find More Posts by brushless55
Old Feb 07, 2013, 07:26 PM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
8,468 Posts
just ordered one from hobbyzone.... thanks for that code rfeak....

At that price how can you lose? I figure a new airframe, motor and a battery would probably cost me more than $70, so the new one will get put away, then when my current bee is too banged up to fly, instead of ordering a new airframe and going to the trouble of rebuilding it, I can just sell the board in the old plane, and bust out the new one

If they do get rid of it, that will bee too bad.... I have always had a thing for gee-bee's.... of course, I guess it cant really be cost effective selling them even at $99, and I would never have bought one at $220.....
dacaur is offline Find More Posts by dacaur
Old Feb 07, 2013, 08:22 PM
SoCal fair weather flyer
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2012
2,071 Posts
This has to be a case of Horizon Hobby discontinuing the plane, how else could they sell for 99 bucks and then 65? I think it must only appeal to a select few, and those select few already own it.... I've "sort of" wanted one for a long time but it wasn't worth the price for what it is, a niche plane only. Doesn't appeal to warbirds guys and it doesn't appeal to the 3D guys. Even at 65 dollars I had to kind of talk myself into it....
Bloosee is offline Find More Posts by Bloosee
Old Feb 07, 2013, 08:31 PM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
8,468 Posts
You are crazy... At $65 I tried and tried to talk myself OUT of it.... The only reason I didnt buy two is I dont have $130 of spending money right now...

Also, I'm a warbird guy.... specifically high performance warbirds like the p-51D and odd looking ones like the corsair.... The gee bee is an odd looking high performance plane, so i guess that's why I am attracted to it....
dacaur is offline Find More Posts by dacaur
Old Feb 07, 2013, 08:59 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloosee View Post
This has to be a case of Horizon Hobby discontinuing the plane, how else could they sell for 99 bucks and then 65? I think it must only appeal to a select few, and those select few already own it.... I've "sort of" wanted one for a long time but it wasn't worth the price for what it is, a niche plane only. Doesn't appeal to warbirds guys and it doesn't appeal to the 3D guys. Even at 65 dollars I had to kind of talk myself into it....
I'm a warbird guy & kind of a 3D guy, and it appeals to me. In fact, I preordered mine. But I'm also a scale guy, a precision aerobatics guy, a slow-flyer guy, a pylon-racer guy, a balsa guy, a foamie guy, a glider guy, an EDF guy, a micro-flyer guy, a glow & gas guy, a giant-scale guy, and a general screwing around in the air & having fun guy. Never could see any point in putting self-imposed limits on my hobby, as that would simply narrow my experience and limit my opportunities to learn new things. Why on Earth anyone would actually choose to do that to themselves on purpose is beyond me....

Unfortunately, I think you're right, though. I run into far too many RCers who put up self-imposed barriers to broadening their hobby experience. They claim to hate 3D, or foamies, or balsa, or glow/gas, or helis, or pattern, or warbirds, or quads.....the list goes on, ad nauseam. I figured they'd have long-since grown out of such grade-school mentality stuff. Oh, well.....it is what it is.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 08, 2013, 08:26 AM
when down=up, up=expensive
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
2,637 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Unfortunately, I think you're right, though. I run into far too many RCers who put up self-imposed barriers to broadening their hobby experience. They claim to hate 3D, or foamies, or balsa, or glow/gas, or helis, or pattern, or warbirds, or quads.....the list goes on, ad nauseam. I figured they'd have long-since grown out of such grade-school mentality stuff. Oh, well.....it is what it is.

Joel
Joel - that was well put. I've been caught defining myself as "more of a *this*" or "not much of a *that*" only to realize I just wasn't something YET. The nano has made me a Heli guy, the Sbach has made me a 3D guy, the champ has made me a slow, relaxing pattern guy. I think you are right - this hobby has nearly limitless possibilities unless you limit yourself. It's tempting to do it, but dang, anything that flies is pretty darned cool. I need to remember that!
whichwaysup is offline Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings
Old Feb 08, 2013, 08:40 AM
Raikkonen for President
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
7,149 Posts
Quote:
I'm a warbird guy & kind of a 3D guy, and it appeals to me. In fact, I preordered mine. But I'm also a scale guy, a precision aerobatics guy, a slow-flyer guy, a pylon-racer guy, a balsa guy, a foamie guy, a glider guy, an EDF guy, a micro-flyer guy, a glow & gas guy, a giant-scale guy, and a general screwing around in the air & having fun guy. Never could see any point in putting self-imposed limits on my hobby, as that would simply narrow my experience and limit my opportunities to learn new things. Why on Earth anyone would actually choose to do that to themselves on purpose is beyond me....

Joel
I like flying. I self-impose limits on myself by my budget.
bhoov128 is offline Find More Posts by bhoov128
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snice Slick
Old Feb 08, 2013, 08:41 AM
when down=up, up=expensive
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
2,637 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoov128 View Post
Ain't that the truth.
whichwaysup is offline Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings
Old Feb 08, 2013, 02:29 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whichwaysup View Post
.....this hobby has nearly limitless possibilities unless you limit yourself. It's tempting to do it, but dang, anything that flies is pretty darned cool.
WWU,

Thanks. Now, that is worth quoting! Should be on a banner, hanging in every LHS & at every club field.

When I get into a hobby, I try to sample as much of it as I can. After sampling the waters, I usually find that I enjoy aspects of the hobby I never thought I'd enjoy. But it's easy to get tunnel-vision.

Helis, for example. I never thought I'd really enjoy flying them, even though I had never even touched the sticks. Then the mSR came out. I was sure wrong about that one! I still enjoy flying fixed-wing more, but learning to fly rotorcraft has opened up new possibilities. Like flying in the house, or being able to fly pretty much anywhere I want on a whim, rather than being constrained to flying only where there's enough room to shoot an approach. A bonus - I found that flying helis improves my fixed-wing skills.

I had always thought about trying ROW, but never got around to it. Then the CC came out & I did my first RC flight on floats. I'm hooked!! I was actually mad at myself for waiting so long! Last fall, I decided to get into gliders. I had always wanted to try one, but never got around to it. I was too busy flying warbirds, aerobatic planes, scale ga ships, etc. I picked up a Radian Pro & ordered a few of Paul Naton's soaring DVDs, along with a copy of Dave Thornburg's Old Buzzard's Soaring Book. I'm hooked!! Again, the thing that bugs me is that I waited so long!

I could have been having all of that fun for decades if I wouldn't have concentrated solely on land-based power-planes for 27 years. Lately, I've been flying 300 MPH DS ships in RF 6.5. Wow, I'd really like to try that someday! Unfortunately, we're a bit shy on DS sites here in Minnesota. However, if I ever end up living where it's possible, I will definitely give it a try, now that I've had a taste of what it's like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoov128 View Post
BH,

LOL! That pretty much sums it up for me, as well! If I can afford it, I'll fly it.

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 08, 2013, 02:40 PM
Raikkonen for President
Joined May 2012
7,149 Posts
You know, these racers (such as the Gee Bee) are a sector of RC that I think suffers because of our mentalities towards flying. We have some who belong to clubs with strict rules and all kinds of organized events, and others that just want to fly wherever by themselves. I would absolutely love to set up a course in a local field with whatever type of cheap pylons we could build and have five or six buddies just flying Reno Races together, Gee Bees, Ryans, maybe a mini Mahoney Sorceress (). It's a shame that it seems HH is dumping the Gee Bee due to slow sales. I just visited the Fantasy of Flight museum here where I live and up close and personal the Gee Bee and the Gee Bee Z are incredibly cool airplanes. That cockpit window is barely big enough for the pilot's head.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 08, 2013, 03:24 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,182 Posts
Gee Bee indoor racing

Have you guys seen this clip? Super-cool! Wish we could get something like that going around here!

modell-hobby-spiel 2012 - Gee Bee Air Race (4 min 13 sec)

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 08, 2013, 03:27 PM
Raikkonen for President
Joined May 2012
7,149 Posts
Quote:
Have you guys seen this clip? Super-cool! Wish we could get something like that going around here!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NC_C7s03IK8

Joel
EXACTLY what I was speaking to. Very very cool!
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 08, 2013, 03:33 PM
so. cal.
Joined Jan 2006
2,587 Posts
That looks like an absolute blast, yippee!
s2000 is offline Find More Posts by s2000
Old Feb 08, 2013, 04:11 PM
Shine On !
Northern Ohio
Joined Feb 2003
995 Posts
Curse you hobby zone code ! Lol...back up R2 on order... Waaaay too cheap to pass up. I'm hoping to finish my Adrian Page 1/4 scale R2 this winter. It's been 90% complete, on my bench for 2 years now... Too many distractions.
AtomHeartMother is offline Find More Posts by AtomHeartMother