Old Dec 30, 2012, 09:24 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,591 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Daylight,

Also - AS3X makes these planes very forgiving with CG placement. They're still controllable even when they're quite tail-heavy, so it's not a big deal. ...........

Joel
Well, sort of, but not really. My battery popped loose in my Gee Bee and fell all the way to the back of the fuse, as far as the lead would allow....it was not flying at THAT center of gravity.... Stalled into the grass off the runway,but with no damage.
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 31, 2012, 08:15 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,959 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas B View Post
Well, sort of, but not really. My battery popped loose in my Gee Bee and fell all the way to the back of the fuse, as far as the lead would allow....it was not flying at THAT center of gravity.... Stalled into the grass off the runway,but with no damage.
I bet that got your attention! I think that's a bit more than being 'quite tail-heavy' - especially for a Gee Bee! Good thing you got her down in once piece. Without AS3X, it would have likely swapped ends in flight. I had the pack fall off the back of the tray once with my Beast 3D, but the plane was still flyable (barely). Goofy tail-heavy, yet marginally controllable, nonetheless. It would have likely hovered hands-off!

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 31, 2012, 02:00 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,128 Posts
Happened to me once, went into a perfect flat spin, landed on grass just like my Stryker!
airpower is online now Find More Posts by airpower
Old Dec 31, 2012, 05:07 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,959 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airpower View Post
Happened to me once, went into a perfect flat spin, landed on grass just like my Stryker!
Gee Bee, or Beast?

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 31, 2012, 05:26 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,128 Posts
Geebee, it wasn't extremely flat, but flat enough to suffer no damage on grass.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:12 PM
Rogue User
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Sep 2008
392 Posts
I also had the loose battery problem the other day, only I put a battery in my GeeBee not realising there was another one in there that had come loose...

End result was a GeeBee that was quite erratic due to its moving CoG, but only minor damage on landing. I'll definitely double check for loose batteries next time!!
Mr Krinkle is offline Find More Posts by Mr Krinkle
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:15 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,128 Posts
I've had batteries go loose in my beast, but it just makes it more unstable, not unflyable.
Old Jan 01, 2013, 06:26 PM
so. cal.
Joined Jan 2006
2,703 Posts
Finally got the first flight, other than needing a lot of up trim, this model flies incredible, a real sweetheart to land. Stock battery only lasted about 2, maybe 3 minutes. Need more or bigger batteries.
s2000 is online now Find More Posts by s2000
Old Jan 01, 2013, 07:04 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,959 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2000 View Post
Finally got the first flight, other than needing a lot of up trim, this model flies incredible, a real sweetheart to land. Stock battery only lasted about 2, maybe 3 minutes. Need more or bigger batteries.
If it needs a lot of up-trim, it's nose-heavy. The plane should only need a touch of down-elevator for level inverted flight, and sustained KE passes should be easy.

Joel.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 03, 2013, 06:09 AM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,531 Posts
Ed's Gee Bee

Just super nice weather conditions on Tuesday morning, the 1st of the year 2013 in central Florida and Ed and Myself came loaded with all kinds of models. Here is Ed's best in his fleet. He even allowed me to fly his beloved Gee Bee after the Video capture take!!!

Thanks Ed, it is a fantastic little model.

E-Flite UMX Gee Bee R2 BNF with AS3X Technology by Ed Redfield 01-01-2013 (3 min 55 sec)
PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 03, 2013, 08:02 PM
Must not buy more planes!
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Jul 2010
2,360 Posts
I've had by GeeBee for a while and really want to love it. But...

I had the OPC problem at first but a new prop solved that.

One day, while flying, the plane stopped responding to controls and I put it in a tree. (No damage.) Everything seemed fine. I thought maybe it was a radio glitch.

I flew the plane a few more times and then, last time I went to fly, the elevator stopped working during the ground check. Wouldn't move at all. Didn't seem to be anything jamming the servos etc.

Unplugged and re-plugged the battery. Everything was fine for about 30 seconds and then - BANG - the rudder jammed.

Unplugged and re-plugged the battery. Everything was fine for about 30 seconds and then - BANG - the rudder jammed.

Lather. Rinse. Repeat.
mclarkson is offline Find More Posts by mclarkson
Old Jan 03, 2013, 08:49 PM
Joined Mar 2010
63 Posts
Possibly you could clean servo tracks or replace the servo mechanisms on the board. I had a servo in my Sukhoi that stuck intermittently and it was a bad motor (included with the servo mechanism).
jdre is offline Find More Posts by jdre
Old Jan 04, 2013, 04:11 AM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,128 Posts
Happened with three of mine, in utter nonsense the only constant during the crashes was my hyp 240. Works great in everything else, but in complete wierdom land, causes elevator lock in my geebee.
Old Jan 04, 2013, 01:57 PM
United States, NH, Bath
Joined Mar 2011
162 Posts
Had my maiden flight yesterday morning. It was 14 degrees out, but I didn't expect temps to rise more than that for the next few days here in Northern New Hampshire, so I took it up anyway.

Had to hand launch with 8 inches of snow on the ground. Throttled up to 3/4 to avoid OCP problem. Flew mostly at 1/4 to 1/2 throttle throughout the flight and landed it gracefully in the snow. Blew out what snow got in the prop and motor and let dry overnight.

BUT....... today was another thing. I've been flying all of my UMX planes with a TP 2S, 325 mah, 65C battery and have had good results. On throttle up at 3/4. the motor sputtered and stopped. Put throttle down a few seconds and back up. Again, it did the same thing. This time I put on full throttle and flew the entire flight at that setting. Every time I throttled down, the motor quit. Fortunately, I was high enough to let it glide while I reset the throttle back to full power.

After that flight, I put on the only spare prop I had which was a 5 X 2.75 prop that my Carbon Cub and Sbach 3D fly on. The problem disappeared.

Now, I've read that the 5030 prop works well and that it solves the OCP problem. The 5 X 2.75 let the plane do everything I wanted it to do, though I'm sure it lacks the thrust of the 5030. And....... I don't understand why the second flight could be flown at full throttle on the original prop when the OCP usually kicks off for just about everybody. That is, unless the cold temperature had anything to do with the problem?
Kenap is offline Find More Posts by Kenap
Old Jan 06, 2013, 02:08 AM
Must not buy more planes!
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Jul 2010
2,360 Posts
Generally, cold weather robs the batteries of power.
mclarkson is offline Find More Posts by mclarkson