Old Oct 27, 2011, 09:41 AM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,571 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy70 View Post
Thanks for the weight check.

What lipos will you be using in this bird?

My little 350mahs weigh 20g if memory serves, so a 6-7g difference shouldn't be an issue at all...

Sammy,

All three sizes.
2S 120, 180 & 240.

I fly my Beast, Sbach & UM Stryker often.
6-7g is big.
Totally changes the way these UMs fly.

I don't even bother with the 2S 240 in my Beast anymore.
Light flies better.
The Hyp 2S 120 is amazing (for 4.5min) in my Beast/5043.

About all I fly anymore are the 120s & 180s.
Only plane that I really enjoy the 240 in, is the Stryker.

I don't mind the short flight times because of the flight performance upgrade.
With enough batts and fast parallel charging; the rules have totally changed.

Looks like I can get all three new UMX planes for $405.
Stashing cash daily.

rc
RCBABBEL is online now Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 27, 2011, 12:31 PM
Joined Sep 2010
3,956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
Hey, you forgot the Hyper Taxi! Sure, it's an indoor airplane first, but when the wind will be low, it will be a fun airplane outside too. As a bonus, the propeller and servos won't touch the grass, so less chance to pick up dirt.

Seriously though, I agree with you... More weight on the UM is not that good. My favorite flying spot is great, but landing the Sbach was a bit tricky. Landing the Gee Bee would definitively be a problem for me. (Though, for me, it's Beast for sure, Hyper Taxi maybe, and Gee Bee if there's ever any money left in early spring!)
At this point in time, I just don't have any pull to the taxi. I am not into any type of 3d flying, and want my airplanes to look and fly like airplanes. I am fine with my present Beast, so that only left the GeeBee. Maybe I am wrong, but as I said, my belief is that the first landing in my yard would rip the gear and wing braces off of it. Even regular gear like on the Beast and Sbach just grab the grass and flip the plane over and at the least bung up the nose and vertical stabilizer and sometimes worse. The little single cell 1 oz planes just stop usually without any damage but the extra ounce starts to be damaging and with the other extra ounce plus of the GeeBee it is almost bound to leave a mark as the saying goes.
bobly is online now Find More Posts by bobly
Old Oct 27, 2011, 01:33 PM
United States, NC, Goldsboro
Joined Mar 2011
393 Posts
It's not ideal, but couldn't you get a thickish roll of clear plastic to lay on the grass as a runway? I forget the brand, but we use 50' long by 25' rolls of heavy duty clear plastic on some of our concrete jobs. It re-rolls pretty easy and I would think you could make a fairly level surface on shortish grass. Any wind over 5ish mph though and you'd have to transport weights along with the roll... Maybe a few strips of that portable putting green stuff flipped upside down (assuming it's not bumpy like the backside of carpet).

I'm sure if you want it bad enough, you can make a solution.
MyPonyRocks is offline Find More Posts by MyPonyRocks
Old Oct 27, 2011, 01:39 PM
McCarthy, Alaska
Joined Jun 2004
1,133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyPonyRocks View Post
It's not ideal, but couldn't you get a thickish roll of clear plastic to lay on the grass as a runway? I forget the brand, but we use 50' long by 25' rolls of heavy duty clear plastic on some of our concrete jobs. It re-rolls pretty easy and I would think you could make a fairly level surface on shortish grass. Any wind over 5ish mph though and you'd have to transport weights along with the roll... Maybe a few strips of that portable putting green stuff flipped upside down (assuming it's not bumpy like the backside of carpet).

I'm sure if you want it bad enough, you can make a solution.
It has to be staked or somehow stretched pretty tight or you get little hills and valleys that clip the prop whenever you take off. Same with a tarp, which I use quite a bit for my Beast, T-28 and Champ. I am considering investing in some real outdoor carpet (Astroturf?) as I think it would work better. Anybody used it before? Maybe the micros wheels are too small. I generally put "bush tires" when possible, but don't think it would be possible on the GB.
WSEN is offline Find More Posts by WSEN
Old Oct 27, 2011, 02:01 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,723 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WSEN View Post
It has to be staked or somehow stretched pretty tight or you get little hills and valleys that clip the prop whenever you take off. Same with a tarp, which I use quite a bit for my Beast, T-28 and Champ. I am considering investing in some real outdoor carpet (Astroturf?) as I think it would work better. Anybody used it before? Maybe the micros wheels are too small. I generally put "bush tires" when possible, but don't think it would be possible on the GB.
WSEN,

The indoor soccer court at which we fly has AstroTurf. The Mossie's wheels are large enough, and my Champ with 'tundra tires' has no problem - however, the stock wheels on the XP & Beast are much too small for reliable ROG takeoffs & wheel landings on the stuff.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 27, 2011, 02:05 PM
ISP Supervisor
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Jan 2006
722 Posts
How about a small roll of linoleum flooring?
makg is online now Find More Posts by makg
Old Oct 27, 2011, 02:28 PM
Team 3DHS
USA, OH, Macedonia
Joined Jul 2009
3,237 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by makg View Post
How about a small roll of linoleum flooring?
Mine are all being used by breakdancers.
djmoose is offline Find More Posts by djmoose
Old Oct 27, 2011, 03:54 PM
Sheboygan Falls, WI
Joined Nov 2006
1,729 Posts
How about a tree, that always worked for me when I first started flying.
interplanet is offline Find More Posts by interplanet
Old Oct 27, 2011, 04:21 PM
GEEBEE Can't WAIT!
USA, OR, Seaside
Joined Dec 2010
1,422 Posts
Thinking of using 2 200-300mah 35c 1s mcpx bats, what do you think?
perschek is offline Find More Posts by perschek
Old Oct 27, 2011, 04:44 PM
McCarthy, Alaska
Joined Jun 2004
1,133 Posts
Yeh trees work real good. But then you have to cut 'em down to get the plane
We put new laminate flooring in our kitchen a few weeks ago. Since then the old linoleum has been spread out in the yard. Not bad. Slick, micro needs brakes!
Old Oct 27, 2011, 04:46 PM
McCarthy, Alaska
Joined Jun 2004
1,133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
WSEN,

The indoor soccer court at which we fly has AstroTurf. The Mossie's wheels are large enough, and my Champ with 'tundra tires' has no problem - however, the stock wheels on the XP & Beast are much too small for reliable ROG takeoffs & wheel landings on the stuff.

Joel
Wonder how big the wheels on the GB are? Might work!
Old Oct 27, 2011, 08:21 PM
southern Illinois
Joined Jan 2010
494 Posts
I think it would fly to fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by schroeder4 View Post
I think that this Gee Bee could fly indoors (even though they advise you not to)
My D model likes to be flown at a pretty good clip and if you try to land to slow it will tip stall on you. Too fast and it floats forever. My plane is a bit bigger though, 43" wingspan and 480 motor. My plane also doesn't like crosswind landings much if the wind is blowing very hard. It is a blast to fly though! and they do nose over pretty easy. I fly off a grass field though.

Gotta get one of these! I wish they had a bnf.
Dizzy5 is offline Find More Posts by Dizzy5
Old Oct 27, 2011, 08:23 PM
JOHN 3:16
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,284 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy5 View Post
BNF

Your wish has been granted as that's what they are

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=EFLU4580
Sammy70 is online now Find More Posts by Sammy70
Old Oct 27, 2011, 08:23 PM
RCG -Minus Member
United States, SC, West Columbia
Joined Oct 2009
1,441 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy5 View Post
My D model likes to be flown at a pretty good clip and if you try to land to slow it will tip stall on you. Too fast and it floats forever. My plane is a bit bigger though, 43" wingspan and 480 motor. My plane also doesn't like crosswind landings much if the wind is blowing very hard. It is a blast to fly though! and they do nose over pretty easy. I fly off a grass field though.

It is indeed Bind-and-fly - no radio included. Do you mean PNF?
microflitedude is online now Find More Posts by microflitedude
Old Oct 27, 2011, 08:49 PM
You're turning into a penguin.
United States, CA, Burbank
Joined Jul 2011
48 Posts
Grass Landings

My field is all grass, no landing strip of worth.

I take all the LG off my UM's, no problems belly landing.

But the GB and the beast: LG must stay!
Do any of you Beast guys grass land? is it possible?

I wonder if the As3x will allow for a high AoA flare drop down landing.

I was thinking about some kind of net type catcher. Like a loosely strung lacrosse goal turned around. Just bring it in slow and drop her in.

I am picturing a less straight down version of a high wire/trapeze guy falling into a safety net.
JetFighterDuck is offline Find More Posts by JetFighterDuck