HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 06, 2012, 06:41 AM
Joined Apr 2010
33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinT View Post
Just FYI guys,
The spare prop that comes in the box with the Beast 3D (I think it's a 5x3, but I forgot)

The Beast prop is a 5x2.75. I've only run a GWS 5x3 which has been a great alternative to the stock prop.
hoovdog is offline Find More Posts by hoovdog
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 08, 2012, 06:31 PM
Build to fly, fly to fix
Canada, QC, Pointe-Claire
Joined Jun 2011
439 Posts
OMG, second flight with Gee Bee. Destroyed, i should clarify. Self destructed, out of control out of power. Shaking - buzzing into the ground nose first. I know, i know everyone's first thought is "dumb thumbs", but this case i am not taking any fault and HH will be hearing about it. I own just about every Parzone UM and Parkflier they make, unbelievable. Z8 writes about the GeeBee's shaking issue at full throttle and fresh battery, so i made sure to keep the RPMs down. No dice! Very very dissapointed
teckbot is offline Find More Posts by teckbot
Old Apr 08, 2012, 07:48 PM
USA, FL, St Petersburg
Joined Dec 2003
974 Posts
Another set of wonderful flights today. Sure flies nice inverted, hard to believe how smooth it is. You wouldn't think an undercambered wing would fly well inverted, but it does. I even had a low voltage flight- forgot to charge one of my batteries, so I took off with it at the storage voltage. About two laps and the speed control was cycling the motor, but made it to landing just fine.

I may get a second one just so I have a backup.
kenelder is offline Find More Posts by kenelder
Old Apr 09, 2012, 01:56 AM
Cavalry&Flying
Italy, Emilia-Romagna, Bologna
Joined Jul 2011
31 Posts
Just used 2 new batteries and advice, used gws 5/3 well balanced and no more problems, no thermal protection no aileron shaking very funny and easy plane, thank you forum for helping
Max
maxbara is offline Find More Posts by maxbara
Old Apr 09, 2012, 08:30 AM
Build to fly, fly to fix
Canada, QC, Pointe-Claire
Joined Jun 2011
439 Posts
Actual Customer Service

Just got off phone with HH. They are sending a replacement plane. And yes, they have asked to have the destroyed one back for analysis. Very small price to pay for top notch customer service.
Thanks HH for standing behind your products!
teckbot is offline Find More Posts by teckbot
Old Apr 09, 2012, 04:56 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,088 Posts
Found my issue with elevator cut outs.
Sometimes things happen that are impossible to explain. The issue only occurred when i use my factory hyp 240s.
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
Old Apr 09, 2012, 06:27 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,088 Posts
Did some ground testing.
GB on static stand, half throttle(with some variations) for two minutes, on both my hyperions and one of my nano-techs, including some bumps for AS3X, and some finger forces on the elevator horn to test resistance. Taxi testing for a minute afterwards.
Nothing.
So now rather than testing with variables, I guess my only hope is to change some variables.Use some new batteries ive never used on the GB, and a new tx. Ive seen batteries cause wierd things on some rx's, but never a tx(checked, travel adjust is all 100%, everything is bone standard just 70/100 dual rates and 20% expo all round). As I don't have a full range radio other than what I was already using, I guess that variable I cant change, unless I put the GB in the closet and wait for some day when I get another tx. I guess I will just create a new model.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 12:30 PM
3D wing innovator
Dallas, Texas
Joined Dec 2009
2,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airpower View Post
Found my issue with elevator cut outs.
Sometimes things happen that are impossible to explain. The issue only occurred when i use my factory hyp 240s.
Having same thing with one of ours.. crashed twice, no elevator.
Happens anytime, but very intermittent.
Horizon is sending a new brick. We keep the old one.
I will try to find a fix.. hopfully something in the servo conatact/mechanics.
MikeRx is offline Find More Posts by MikeRx
Old Apr 10, 2012, 01:10 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,088 Posts
All three of mine have done it. so I think it's something other than the brick.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 01:19 PM
Joined Jul 2006
586 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRx View Post
I will try to find a fix.. hopfully something in the servo conatact/mechanics.
I notice the same and i open the mechanics. The contact and the mechanic is not the problem and cleaning which can sometimes usefull will not help.
It's a defect(dying?) brushed servo motor. In some positions the motor will not start and run only after a touch with finger.
At least the spare part (mechanic with motor) is necessary.
microheli is offline Find More Posts by microheli
Old Apr 10, 2012, 01:43 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,088 Posts
So my three GeeBee's all had a bad servo motor?
Old Apr 10, 2012, 02:00 PM
Joined Jul 2006
586 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airpower View Post
So my three GeeBee's all had a bad servo motor?
I don't know but nothing is impossible also bad batches.
I have many flightime with the Beast 3D and no problem with the servos.
I lost also the antenna of my GeeBee brick.
Somebody say flying a GeeBee is dangerous and he has right
It seems HH make some GeeBee's very scale
microheli is offline Find More Posts by microheli
Old Apr 10, 2012, 02:28 PM
Beast 60E Maniac
Hamburg, Germany
Joined Feb 2010
911 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by microheli View Post
I don't know but nothing is impossible also bad batches.
I have many flightime with the Beast 3D and no problem with the servos.
I lost also the antenna of my GeeBee brick.
Somebody say flying a GeeBee is dangerous and he has right
It seems HH make some GeeBee's very scale
microheli, this is funny to read but hard if it's real and the Bee in down in pieces

I also had wing servo lock on one side for a second or two, wondered that the plane flow to one side and pushed ailerton against direction, suddenly lock was gone and all was perfect.
Same situation in following flight, after 4-point roll, servo lock for 2seconds .....but not at full ailerton throw. Therefore I assume that was not a linkage lock in the "Z-rod" position (maybe Z switched out of hole position)

Maybe, I should cut thin plastic shims and glue on the arm to degrease the play in the "Z" rod ?
SLK Count is offline Find More Posts by SLK Count
Old Apr 10, 2012, 02:49 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,088 Posts
It can't be the brick, its the same one used in the Beast. I thought it was a fluke after the first and second one. My second replacement is not flying until this is sorted out.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 03:19 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,750 Posts
Regarding servo reliability - I have not had any problems with my Gee Bee (so far). However the elevator servo locked up on one of my V1 Beasts after maybe 50 flights. On another V1, one aileron servo went full-up & locked during the maiden while I was making a fast, low pass down the runway. Wasn't pretty. HH sent me a new plane.

My point is that these servos can be somewhat sketchy right out of the gate. Even so, it seems unlikely that someone would end up with three Gee Bees in a row that all have bad elevator servos. However - as MH noted, a batch issue could cause such a thing.

AP,

What servo travel settings are you using? These servos are known to lock-up at anything over 100%, and sometimes even at or slightly below 100%. I set the travel on all of my UM servos to 98%, just to be on the safe side.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member