Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Mar 09, 2012, 06:09 AM View Post
sandy11
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Trolling (Provocation). Show it to me anyway.
Old Mar 09, 2012, 06:18 AM
310mph Kolibri T25 Swist
henke's Avatar
Sverige, Kronobergs Län, Ljungby
Joined Jan 2001
4,764 Posts
(Maybe this has already been solved)About the piggyback, is't it possible to eliminate the extra 2s battery for the Rx part? powering the brick from the piggy back ESCs BEC?
henke is offline Find More Posts by henke
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 09, 2012, 06:59 AM
Power Wheels Guru
UNGN's Avatar
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by henke View Post
(Maybe this has already been solved)About the piggyback, is't it possible to eliminate the extra 2s battery for the Rx part? powering the brick from the piggy back ESCs BEC?
You don't need an extra battery if you run the ESC in parallel with the RX. The Brick is looking for 2S, so you wouldn't want to power it from the BEC (unless you use a Spitfire or Ask-21 brick)

ESC signal would come from a Channel 5 mix.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 09, 2012, 07:11 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Aug 2011
292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by henke View Post
(Maybe this has already been solved)About the piggyback, is't it possible to eliminate the extra 2s battery for the Rx part? powering the brick from the piggy back ESCs BEC?
Yes. Z8's blog explains how to run 3S the right way on one battery. It makes three beeps his first way only gave two beeps. I'm building a pigged GB too so if you learn anything new let me know
Z8RC "Piggybach" UMX Sbach on clean 3S 3-cell power (0 min 12 sec)
sandy11 is offline Find More Posts by sandy11
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Mar 09, 2012, 09:05 AM
Electric Coolhunter
Thomas B's Avatar
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,461 Posts
Getting back to the Gee Bee instead of all this arguing about upgrades. I am perfectly happy with the stock power setup, myself. Given that the uMX Gee Bee is 1/15 scale, the stock setup has it going about 500+ scale mph....

Here is some indoor uMX Gee Bee action at the recent TINY 2012 event...site is a large indoor area in San Angelo, TX...perfect for fast Gee Bee laps, as long as you watch out for the 3D models hovering in the circuit...

Thanks to Richard Ng, ace R/C photographer, for the great in flight pictures of my little speedster!
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 09, 2012, 09:13 AM
Registered User
TurboRacer's Avatar
United States, CT, Waterbury
Joined Oct 2002
1,745 Posts
Nice pics! That plane looks so nice in the air.. I'll get one someday!
TurboRacer is online now Find More Posts by TurboRacer
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 09, 2012, 10:19 AM
Registered User
WRXpilot's Avatar
Bethesda, MD
Joined Jul 2006
385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy11 View Post
Higher achieved RPM and light weight are obviously the only things that make a difference between two GBs running the same prop for top speed. The microdan has neither. Gas mileage is irrelevant. What could be simpler?
Uh; who said anything about running the same prop when switching to a lower kv motor (besides you)?? "Obviously" you wouldn't run the same prop on a lower kV motor, you run a bigger prop and/or higher pitch. Of course dropping the kV without adjusting the prop size isn't going to result in more speed, but no-one's arguing for doing that; you're essentially making a strawman argument here.

Pitch speed, not RPM, is what's going to determine how fast the plane is. RPM is only half the equation, prop choice is the other half.

Still waiting to see what the long-term OCP fix is before I decide whether to pick this guy up or not...
WRXpilot is offline Find More Posts by WRXpilot
Last edited by WRXpilot; Mar 09, 2012 at 10:27 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 09, 2012, 11:21 AM
Have fun
airpower's Avatar
Joined May 2007
6,085 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy11 View Post
Oh I'm sorry, I did't realize you owned this forum.
I can stand reckless arguing(barely), Ive tried not to get involved in this. But that is blatantly horrible, someone says that you should respect and learn from the wisdom of others, impart your own wisdom when its useful, and you say I didn't realize you owned this forum? That's way beyond reckless arguing.
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 09, 2012, 12:16 PM
Diverted by planks
tracknoob's Avatar
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
4,981 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy11 View Post
Z8's blog explains...

[link removed]
Please do not link to sites and materials from previously banned posters in an effort to get their material promoted here, circumventing the intent and effect of the original banning.

You doing so violates the Terms of Service that YOU agreed to when you signed up for membership on RC Groups.

Thanks in advance for your compliance.

tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 09, 2012, 12:17 PM
Diverted by planks
tracknoob's Avatar
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
4,981 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airpower View Post
I can stand reckless arguing(barely), Ive tried not to get involved in this. But that is blatantly horrible, someone says that you should respect and learn from the wisdom of others, impart your own wisdom when its useful, and you say I didn't realize you owned this forum? That's way beyond reckless arguing.
Please report posts that you find to be trolling or otherwise purposefully violating the TOS.

There is a button to do this, right there in the upper right of each message.

Thanks.

tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 09, 2012, 02:21 PM
Make the best of all you have
beetyii's Avatar
Essen/Germany
Joined Dec 2006
569 Posts
For anyone who is interested, I started a Gee Bee mod thread.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1610713









Rolf
beetyii is offline Find More Posts by beetyii
Last edited by beetyii; Mar 11, 2012 at 06:09 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 09, 2012, 03:07 PM
Have fun
airpower's Avatar
Joined May 2007
6,085 Posts
Im starting to get frustrated with Horizon on this one, its been three weeks and they havent found a fix for OCP yet? Either sell them for a lower price or put a new prop in the box for it or lower kv motor or something!!
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 09, 2012, 06:13 PM
Shine On !
AtomHeartMother's Avatar
Northern Ohio
Joined Feb 2003
1,003 Posts
Nice striping Rolf. I screwed mine up with a sharpie...have some pin striping coming in the mail...hehe
AtomHeartMother is offline Find More Posts by AtomHeartMother
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 09, 2012, 08:33 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Aug 2011
292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXpilot View Post
Uh; who said anything about running the same prop when switching to a lower kv motor (besides you)?? "Obviously" you wouldn't run the same prop on a lower kV motor, you run a bigger prop and/or higher pitch. Of course dropping the kV without adjusting the prop size isn't going to result in more speed, but no-one's arguing for doing that; you're essentially making a strawman argument here.

Pitch speed, not RPM, is what's going to determine how fast the plane is. RPM is only half the equation, prop choice is the other half.

Still waiting to see what the long-term OCP fix is before I decide whether to pick this guy up or not...
The microdan dealer page lists their stats with a GWS 5x3 on 3S. Z8RC site also lists stats with a GWS 5x3 on 3S. The 67% higher kv E-Flite 180 achieves 2000 more RPM than the microdan when both are actually spinning the GWS 5x3 on 3S.

Like I said, when you have the same prop and it is on the same plane, more RPM is the same as faster speed.

I'm sure microdan is a good motor and you'll sell plenty, but the kv is too low compared to the 180 to use it for higher speed on a 3S GB. I already posted the exact RPM and GWS 5x3 pitch speed from the dealer listed spec and it would be 10% slower than the 180 both with the GWS 5x3 even if the microdan could achieve its kv limit.

There's no reason to wait on buying the GB. It is a great plane the way it ships. You can snip one mm off the ends of the prop and go a smidgen faster with no OCP cut offs. Or you can do the 8 gram Z8 piggyback and put as many amps through through any ESC and motor you want to use. Z8 has a piggybacked 100mph UMX Gee Bee "soon." Ooooh I can feel one of those coming on.
sandy11 is offline Find More Posts by sandy11
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Mar 09, 2012, 09:45 PM
3D wing innovator
MikeRx's Avatar
Dallas, Texas
Joined Dec 2009
2,130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy11 View Post
The microdan dealer page lists their stats with a GWS 5x3 on 3S. Z8RC site also lists stats with a GWS 5x3 on 3S. The 67% higher kv E-Flite 180 achieves 2000 more RPM than the microdan when both are actually spinning the GWS 5x3 on 3S.

Like I said, when you have the same prop and it is on the same plane, more RPM is the same as faster speed.

I'm sure microdan is a good motor and you'll sell plenty, but the kv is too low compared to the 180 to use it for higher speed on a 3S GB. I already posted the exact RPM and GWS 5x3 pitch speed from the dealer listed spec and it would be 10% slower than the 180 both with the GWS 5x3 even if the microdan could achieve its kv limit.

There's no reason to wait on buying the GB. It is a great plane the way it ships. You can snip one mm off the ends of the prop and go a smidgen faster with no OCP cut offs. Or you can do the 8 gram Z8 piggyback and put as many amps through through any ESC and motor you want to use. Z8 has a piggybacked 100mph UMX Gee Bee "soon." Ooooh I can feel one of those coming on.
Those specs are for a motor designed to spin an 8x4 on a 3d plane, so your argument is weak.
The one that will swing the 5x3 at the same speed as the 180, while running cool at 1.5-2 amps less than the 180, on a little 2s battery, is being custom kv wound by the designer for our purpose as I speak. I thought I mentioned that.

For the record. I'm not here to win a contest. I just want to promote the idea of
a local company trying to offer something interesting and useful, and hopefully save a few meltdowns when the ambient temp rises for Summer.

We had over 70 days over 100 degrees last summer at my location.
MikeRx is online now Find More Posts by MikeRx
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Build Service
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help! Adrienne Paige Gee Bee R2 Plans Eric Giorgiantonio Fuel Plane Talk 5 Jan 29, 2012 11:02 PM
For Sale Herr Gee Bee R2 (NIB) 25" wingspan pdawg Aircraft - Electric - Micro & Indoor Airplanes (FS/W) 0 Oct 12, 2011 10:20 AM
Wanted Adrian Page Gee Bee Z 1/5th and/or Gee Bee R2 1/5th (looking for) Xanix Aircraft - Fuel - Airplanes (FS/W) 0 Jul 23, 2007 06:16 PM