SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Oct 22, 2011, 07:03 PM
Registered User
friz's Avatar
VA
Joined Feb 2009
867 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBABBEL View Post
BP,

Don't be...

What an amazing flying UM!

It was selected to introduce the AS3X system for a very good reason.

My 'old school' Beast is at 345 flights and I can't wait to fly her again.



rc
I love my beast and i won't be getting the new one just because I dont fly my beast as a 3d stunt plane. i fly the beast cause it rides rails
friz is offline Find More Posts by friz
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 22, 2011, 07:20 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
turboparker's Avatar
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by friz View Post
I love my beast and i won't be getting the new one just because I dont fly my beast as a 3d stunt plane. i fly the beast cause it rides rails
The new Beast will also do pattern/precision about an order of magnitude better than the V1. The AS3X isn't about 3D. It's about making a small plane behave as if it's a 1/3-scale plane - which greatly benefits all styles of flying.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 22, 2011, 07:58 PM
Registered User
USA, GA, Kennesaw
Joined Dec 2003
452 Posts
Well said RealGambler
Tony Twoskids is offline Find More Posts by Tony Twoskids
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2011, 08:22 PM
"Heli-Pimp"
kdill2160's Avatar
McHenry, IL
Joined Mar 2003
2,943 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronstomfoolery View Post
If you want VTOL, landing, maneuvers out of the box check this thing. Forget the flying box! This has 3 axis mems gyro and Altimeter sensors built. ..AND a 2 CAMERAs FOR multi POV- FPV flying out of the box....

Check it out at 20 seconds they have this thing ANCING?! If only it came out with a standard tx....for hobbyists...


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDwQ2...feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tnser...feature=relmfu

http://ardrone.parrot.com/parrot-ar-drone/usa/

Well Horizon got me all worked up to buy something out of this world.. and the AR PARROT looks like that to me. 299$ RTF-2.4 ghz, quad brushless, controlled by your ipod...
This is a very cool idea, with cameras also... Wow, where are you in this game HH???
kdill2160 is offline Find More Posts by kdill2160
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2011, 08:28 PM
Horizon Hobby Employee
Mahomet, Illinois
Joined Aug 2007
2,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdill2160 View Post
This is a very cool idea, with cameras also... Wow, where are you in this game HH???
Yes, the AR Drone is cool. We actually distribute it to the hobby channel!
Dave Eichstedt is offline Find More Posts by Dave Eichstedt
Site Sponsor
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2011, 08:53 PM
"Heli-Pimp"
kdill2160's Avatar
McHenry, IL
Joined Mar 2003
2,943 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Eichstedt View Post
Yes, the AR Drone is cool. We actually distribute it to the hobby channel!
Kind of interesting that there has not been much talk about it... The HyperTaxi is cool, but ugly, I can see where the paint job will help with orientation... Not my cup of tea, but a cool flying machine, the AS3X technology is sweet, especially watching the video of the beast in the wind...

Is HH going to offer the AS3X as an upgrade for our "x-ports" so our older beasts can be upgraded???

BTW Dave, the GeeBee is the coolest plane you guys have ever put out...
It's the first plastic(static) model airplane I ever built(fishing line for wing wires)... Have loved that plane since I was a little kid... I'll have a couple GeeBees on preorder as soon as it's possible to "click" on it... Good job HH... Change the paint job on the HT...
kdill2160 is offline Find More Posts by kdill2160
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2011, 09:01 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
turboparker's Avatar
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,954 Posts
Dave E,

I had asked you guys a few questions about the AS3X system in another thread, but saw no reply. I figure the post got buried, given all of the traffic on the threads. I'll re-post them here:

Questions about the AS3X:

1) Many of us fly in the winter. What is the operational temperature range of the AS3X? Also, how does it fare if one initializes indoors, and then takes the aircraft outdoors when it's, say, +10 F?

2) Reading the initialization procedure, it appears that the AS3X requires the plane to be sitting on the gear. Can those who hand-launch & fly without the gear simply set the plane on its belly, instead? (Not a problem for me, as I am an ROG addict - but figured I'd ask.)

3) Last November, I maidened my Beast in a 10-17 MPH wind. I often fly it in winds up to 10-12 MPH. For those of us who already fly our V1 Beasts in 10+ MPH winds, what can we expect with the 3D? Or, to put it another way - how broad a range of turbulence & wind can the system handle?

4) How broad a range of flight conditions can the system handle? For instance - could you guys program it to stabilize a negatively-stable airframe, such as a modern fighter? (Just wondering if we'll ever see something like an exact-scale micro F-22 or F-35. )

Thanks!

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 22, 2011, 09:21 PM
Horizon Hobby Employee
Mahomet, Illinois
Joined Aug 2007
2,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Dave E,

I had asked you guys a few questions about the AS3X system in another thread, but saw no reply. I figure the post got buried, given all of the traffic on the threads. I'll re-post them here:

Questions about the AS3X:

1) Many of us fly in the winter. What is the operational temperature range of the AS3X? Also, how does it fare if one initializes indoors, and then takes the aircraft outdoors when it's, say, +10 F?

2) Reading the initialization procedure, it appears that the AS3X requires the plane to be sitting on the gear. Can those who hand-launch & fly without the gear simply set the plane on its belly, instead? (Not a problem for me, as I am an ROG addict - but figured I'd ask.)

3) Last November, I maidened my Beast in a 10-17 MPH wind. I often fly it in winds up to 10-12 MPH. For those of us who already fly our V1 Beasts in 10+ MPH winds, what can we expect with the 3D? Or, to put it another way - how broad a range of turbulence & wind can the system handle?

4) How broad a range of flight conditions can the system handle? For instance - could you guys program it to stabilize a negatively-stable airframe, such as a modern fighter? (Just wondering if we'll ever see something like an exact-scale micro F-22 or F-35. )

Thanks!

Joel
Joel,

I'm sorry nobody else has answered this yet. I don't have all the answers, and so was hoping Mike or dribbe might get to it.

1) I don't know!

2) That shouldn't be a problem.

3) That's still very much a subjective thing to assess. I'm afraid as soon as I try to quantify it, someone's going to have a bad experience and blame me: "But YOU SAID it would fly in XX mph!!!" For me, it can be flown in 10-15mph, even with some gusts. Come to think about it, I don't think I've flown it in anything under 8mph yet! And these were the conditions I was referencing in the video, where I did all that extended knife-edge stuff.

4) We've been focused so much on getting the first 3 airplanes tuned and shippable that we haven't tried to push the boundaries of AS3X yet. Who knows where it will lead.
Dave Eichstedt is offline Find More Posts by Dave Eichstedt
Site Sponsor
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2011, 10:43 PM
crashing build's character.
United States, AL, Dora
Joined Mar 2008
530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKKO_X2 View Post
uttr disappointment
me too!!!
onefastxp is offline Find More Posts by onefastxp
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2011, 10:56 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
turboparker's Avatar
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,954 Posts
Dave,

Thanks for the reply! You answered most of my questions very well. Maybe one of the other guys will chime in about the temperature range. I know that the tail gyro on my larger heli needs to acclimate for a few minutes before initialization when I take it outside in the cold, but it is not mems-based. If I don't let it acclimate, it doesn't do anything drastic - it just drifts a bit as it cools down. I have yet to fly the mCP X in the winter, so I have no experience with how a mems-based system would react to large temperature swings after initialization.

Loved the wind comparison video with the Beasts. So, the Beast 3D truly flies similarly to the 100cc version? I am one who has always wanted my smaller planes to fly similarly to their larger-scale or even full-scale counterparts. Looks like we're finally there!

Regarding the Hyper Taxi - it looks like indoor combat sessions would be a blast, but cutting a streamer may be a bit problematic. Do you think the the HT is robust enough to handle some full-contact combat?

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 22, 2011, 11:18 PM
Registered User
Joined Jul 2009
176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Dave,
Regarding the Hyper Taxi - it looks like indoor combat sessions would be a blast, but cutting a streamer may be a bit problematic. Do you think the the HT is robust enough to handle some full-contact combat?

Joel
I would also like a comment on those that have flown in so far about the durability also. of course HH most likely did a great job making it, but how much is too much? not sure if thats been able to be tested either, wont hurt to ask
pow-wow is offline Find More Posts by pow-wow
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2011, 08:13 AM
Registered User
friz's Avatar
VA
Joined Feb 2009
867 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
The new Beast will also do pattern/precision about an order of magnitude better than the V1. The AS3X isn't about 3D. It's about making a small plane behave as if it's a 1/3-scale plane - which greatly benefits all styles of flying.

Joel
Oh, dang it, now i might have to get one.
friz is offline Find More Posts by friz
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2011, 03:46 PM
Registered User
Joined Dec 2009
78 Posts
Horizon, since the new Crazy Taxi is so stable, nimble and well-suited for indoors, can we please have a targeting system (like the one used on Tamiya Tanks or the AR drone) to have air-to-air combat simulation. For example, 10 hits and your motor slows to 50%, 2 more and it beeps that you are out of the "game". The IR technology exists to do this, you just have to make it small/light enough ... and if it could somehow be worked into a micro-telementry system, then the feedback could just like a video game that keeps score, shows "head shots" etc. ...only real. Now that would truly be a game changer.

I can already see indoor obstacle course races (like on the G5.5 simulator) as being a whole new category of indoor flying ...and a whole whack of fun. even if you don't consider the AS3X a "game changer" like Lipos, brushless or proportational control, the stabilization technology certainly opens the door for a great expansion of the RC hobby, just like ARF and foam did.
lornecherry is offline Find More Posts by lornecherry
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2011, 07:48 PM
Team Aztech Aeromodels!
zmonster97's Avatar
United States, PA, Allentown
Joined May 2011
3,012 Posts
^^^^^That's a good idea. I would buy it!
zmonster97 is online now Find More Posts by zmonster97
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2011, 08:14 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
turboparker's Avatar
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lornecherry View Post
Horizon, since the new Crazy Taxi is so stable, nimble and well-suited for indoors, can we please have a targeting system (like the one used on Tamiya Tanks or the AR drone) to have air-to-air combat simulation. For example, 10 hits and your motor slows to 50%, 2 more and it beeps that you are out of the "game". The IR technology exists to do this, you just have to make it small/light enough ... and if it could somehow be worked into a micro-telementry system, then the feedback could just like a video game that keeps score, shows "head shots" etc. ...only real. Now that would truly be a game changer.

I can already see indoor obstacle course races (like on the G5.5 simulator) as being a whole new category of indoor flying ...and a whole whack of fun. even if you don't consider the AS3X a "game changer" like Lipos, brushless or proportational control, the stabilization technology certainly opens the door for a great expansion of the RC hobby, just like ARF and foam did.
LC,

That would be very cool! They already have IR combat modules in the Force coaxial helis. Maybe that system could be modified for this app.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sold OS 50SX Hyper with Align 50 muffler jgpncll Aircraft - Fuel - Helis (FS/W) 0 Sep 05, 2011 06:34 PM
Sold OS 50SX Hyper with Align 50 muffler $110 shipped jgpncll Aircraft - Fuel - Engines and Accessories (FS/W) 0 Sep 05, 2011 05:39 PM
Discussion Taildragger turns during taxi tests (but only when decelerating) dtrip Foamies (Scratchbuilt) 24 May 03, 2011 08:12 AM
Micro Taxi to "Water" Taxi? Greg Covey Scratchbuilt Indoor and Micro Models 12 Apr 11, 2003 04:01 PM
Micro Taxi to "Water" Taxi to Cloud9 Taxi? Greg Covey Scratchbuilt Indoor and Micro Models 9 Feb 18, 2003 02:49 PM