SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 20, 2011, 01:25 AM
Blue Stick's Dad
Westchester, Ca
Joined May 2003
1,007 Posts
Discussion
Building Pica Focke Wulf 190 D-9 as Elecrtic conversion

Finally decided to pull that 10 year old kit out of the garage attic and build it. But first I need to figure out which electric motor would work best and which retracts to buy. As far as power goes, most of the people who built this kit used a 90 size gas/nitro motor. After poking around teh internet it seems the E-Flite Power 90 would fit the bill. Anyone disagree? As far as retracts go, I'd love some electric ones like the 74 degree Lado's but if I can't get them then the spring air ones would work. I'll post some pictures later but would love some advice if you think I should choose some other motor or retracts.

I may have to wait for the AMA Expo in January to find this stuff cheaper
Brian Koester is offline Find More Posts by Brian Koester
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 21, 2011, 12:08 AM
Ldm
United States, PA, Conestoga
Joined Jun 2006
8,489 Posts
Its a great plane , build the original Platt version that was the kit desing for Pica .
90 is a good choice , while I am sure a 60 would work , Picas build heavy and I suggest you get some good bits and make some very good lightening holes .
Some fun after market options are --Williams brother wheels , imp scale use to make an interior kit that was sold for $24 , really nice starting point , its more 1/6 scale but you can make it fit .
I have one in my blog , that started as an IMP scale but I made many mods for my FW190 .(not the D9)
If you tune into Tom Pierce website he build a Fw190 , however many of the tips can be used on the D9 for great details
Ldm is online now Find More Posts by Ldm
Old Nov 26, 2011, 01:57 PM
Blue Stick's Dad
Westchester, Ca
Joined May 2003
1,007 Posts
First I built the ailerons according to the plans book. Then I built a building board with a metal skin so that magnets stick to it. I bought some strong magnets that are large enough to aid in holding everything true. What was really nice is that I could dry assemble everything in place, check for proper alignment everywhere and when I was happy, hit it with CA.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 02:04 PM
buy a lot, fly a little!
Hong Kong, Hong Kong Island, Central And Western District
Joined May 2001
5,776 Posts
Nice to see a traditional kit back on the forum, look forward to seeing it progress. Whats the spec of the model?

s.
stuart warne is online now Find More Posts by stuart warne
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Savex Spitfire Progress
Old Nov 26, 2011, 02:08 PM
Blue Stick's Dad
Westchester, Ca
Joined May 2003
1,007 Posts
Once I got all the ribs glued with CA I added wing webbing at the spar. After that I put some gorilla glue along the ribs to add some insurance for any gaps. That stabilized the wing enough against twisting that I could remove it from the building board. I'm choosing to put four servos in the wing instead of running rods to bellcranks as the plans show. I'm also doing retracts which I don't own yet so I can't finish the construction of the retract area. But I can put the top wing sheeting on so I did.

That allows me to add the servos and start installing the flaps and ailerons
Old Nov 26, 2011, 02:15 PM
Blue Stick's Dad
Westchester, Ca
Joined May 2003
1,007 Posts
Here's the kit
Old Nov 26, 2011, 02:19 PM
Blue Stick's Dad
Westchester, Ca
Joined May 2003
1,007 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart warne View Post
Nice to see a traditional kit back on the forum, look forward to seeing it progress. Whats the spec of the model?

s.
box says wingspan is 63.5", 730 square inches are of wing area and weight they say will be 9-10 lbs with retracts.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 05:08 PM
What's 3D?
Australia, WA, Ellenbrook
Joined Feb 2008
3,317 Posts
Looking great, I really want to try building with magnets my self one day, give the pins and cork tiles the flick once and for all!

Cheers
Craig
trumps is offline Find More Posts by trumps
Old Dec 08, 2011, 01:28 PM
USA, NM, Alamogordo
Joined Jan 2003
14 Posts
Nice work. Keep up the progress photos. I just picked up the 65" version of the Pica D9 and this is the only build log I have found. Can't wait to see more. Sure wish I had picked up a cockpit kit also.

Jerry
PigHeaded is offline Find More Posts by PigHeaded
Old Dec 23, 2011, 01:18 PM
Ldm
United States, PA, Conestoga
Joined Jun 2006
8,489 Posts
Brain , thanks for linking me to the thread , if you want to see this oen finished I can post some pics for motavation. As you know I did not build the one I will post , I just bought it new and built for $130 lol (lucky me) haha .
Will be watching your thread with total attention as i want to convert this to eletric , may add flaps and retracts.
This version was an early Platt and the builder assembled it 100% to plans , no retracts and no flaps
Ldm is online now Find More Posts by Ldm
Old Jan 11, 2012, 01:54 PM
Joined Apr 2004
14 Posts
Hi Brian, can you do me a favor and tell me what the plan/instructions say the C.G. should be set at? Thanks, Aaron D.
cgav8r is offline Find More Posts by cgav8r
Old Jan 12, 2012, 02:11 AM
Blue Stick's Dad
Westchester, Ca
Joined May 2003
1,007 Posts
10 5/8" back from the front of F-1 (the front of the plane) or right below F-6 or about 4 1/2" back from the leading edge of the center rib.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 06:11 PM
Joined Apr 2004
14 Posts
Thanks man.
cgav8r is offline Find More Posts by cgav8r
Old Feb 11, 2012, 10:17 AM
Joined Feb 2010
117 Posts
Trying to tie the few Platt/Pica fw 190 threads together for future builders, and conversions !

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65647

getting close on mine.. will be ready before the weather is !
kitscratchfevr is offline Find More Posts by kitscratchfevr
Old Feb 12, 2012, 03:38 PM
Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
Friend of mine has this Pica 190 d9. He's got a dle 30 in it.
kahloq is offline Find More Posts by kahloq