HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Oct 20, 2011, 12:49 AM
Canada, BC, Victoria
Joined Dec 2010
130 Posts
Help!
I wanna start an RC club at my school.

What do I need to know about this sort of stuff?
pilotguy172 is offline Find More Posts by pilotguy172
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 20, 2011, 01:13 AM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,500 Posts
How to fly for starters.

mw
Mark Wood is online now Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Oct 20, 2011, 01:23 AM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
12,231 Posts
Maybe you could obtain helpful information on how to form a club from the Academy of Model Aeronatics (AMA). If you want to fly RC models on school property you will have to convince school authorities that members of the club are responsible and able to fly models in a safe manner that will not endanger people or school property. It would probably be necessary to get help from a teacher or other school system employee to advise and guide you. RC clubs have to have officers, members who will help run the club and and rules to ensure safe flight operations. Safety rules must be enforced. The school system may be require club members to have AMA membership which includes liability insurance before they will allow RC flying on school property. There may be limits on types of models that may be flown, i.e. Only small elecric powered park flyer type models weighing less than 2 pounds and flying speeds of less than 40 miles per hour. School activities usually take precedence over and may interrupt model flying at times. It may be possible to reserve a class room for club meetings. Good luck, hope you have what it takes and get help to form a good club.
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Last edited by E-Challenged; Oct 20, 2011 at 01:32 AM.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 01:26 AM
Sky good, Earth bad!
Anchorage
Joined Dec 2005
1,239 Posts
Are you a student or a teacher?
Dakrat is offline Find More Posts by Dakrat
Old Oct 20, 2011, 02:44 AM
Australia, WA, Kalgoorlie
Joined Apr 2011
1,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Challenged View Post
Maybe you could obtain helpful information on how to form a club from the Academy of Model Aeronatics (AMA). If you want to fly RC models on school property you will have to convince school authorities that members of the club are responsible and able to fly models in a safe manner that will not endanger people or school property. It would probably be necessary to get help from a teacher or other school system employee to advise and guide you. RC clubs have to have officers, members who will help run the club and and rules to ensure safe flight operations. Safety rules must be enforced. The school system may be require club members to have AMA membership which includes liability insurance before they will allow RC flying on school property. There may be limits on types of models that may be flown, i.e. Only small elecric powered park flyer type models weighing less than 2 pounds and flying speeds of less than 40 miles per hour. School activities usually take precedence over and may interrupt model flying at times. It may be possible to reserve a class room for club meetings. Good luck, hope you have what it takes and get help to form a good club.
Great advice.

I see a potential problem with the "Bubble wrap" generation of parents, who'd object to having their kids exposed to the possible danger of getting hit in the head by a model plane while at school. Maybe start off with an indoor club flying ultra micro's in the school gym- it may be more palatable to the parents and administrators alike. I would also think that AMA membership and sanction would be essential to cover any mishaps.

Good luck, I think it's a great idea.

Odd
wizard of odd is offline Find More Posts by wizard of odd
Old Oct 20, 2011, 09:04 AM
United States, NY, CENTRAL VLY
Joined May 2011
1,029 Posts
The AMA's Park Pilot program will provide site insurance as well as media for the school's administration. If you aren't a member yet, it should be your first step. It's absolutely free if you are 18 or under, and $30 a year if not.

That doesn't mean that only PP or AMA members can fly there, they'll just present a brochure and DVD to help explain. It's step towards showing legitimacy to the school.
ausf is offline Find More Posts by ausf
Old Oct 20, 2011, 10:57 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,780 Posts
Have a look in this forum - School Projects and Competitions, there has been a few similar threads asking about setting up a school RC club.
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Oct 20, 2011, 11:05 AM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,500 Posts
If Langford is in the UK (I think you are) I would contact the organization that is responsible for such activities (BMFA?). They would have a good idea on how to get started in your country.

mw (contrite)
Mark Wood is online now Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Oct 20, 2011, 03:22 PM
Canada, BC, Victoria
Joined Dec 2010
130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakrat View Post
Are you a student or a teacher?
I'm a student. I also live in Canada. Not the UK.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 04:42 PM
Suspended Account
USA, NV, Caliente
Joined Mar 2009
1,163 Posts
I know when I was young and in school, the only people who were members of our club where old guys, most retired, some younger and still working, but I was the only school aged person actively involved.
crypto666 is offline Find More Posts by crypto666
Old Oct 20, 2011, 08:20 PM
Canada, BC, Victoria
Joined Dec 2010
130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ausf View Post
The AMA's Park Pilot program will provide site insurance as well as media for the school's administration. If you aren't a member yet, it should be your first step. It's absolutely free if you are 18 or under, and $30 a year if not.

That doesn't mean that only PP or AMA members can fly there, they'll just present a brochure and DVD to help explain. It's step towards showing legitimacy to the school.
Would MAAC do that?
Old Oct 22, 2011, 11:59 AM
Joined Oct 2000
12,231 Posts
Contact MAAC and find out. Best to have an adult help you with contacting and getting information and help from MAAC and school authorities.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 12:52 PM
Canada, BC, Victoria
Joined Dec 2010
130 Posts
Ok, but how should the club be run? should everybody have their own plane or should I train people on my apprentice?
Old Oct 22, 2011, 03:38 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotguy172 View Post
Ok, but how should the club be run? should everybody have their own plane or should I train people on my apprentice?
Depends on how much money the kids have.

At our club I give people introductory flights on my Radian to give them a taste of flying. I will do that twice. By that time they should know if they want to go forward or not. At that point they are expected to join the club and get a plane.

Depending on whether you will fly indoors or outdoors you can get first planes for $130 US or less. If they can't afford that then this is probably not a good thing for them to do.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Oct 22, 2011, 10:22 PM
Joined Oct 2000
12,231 Posts
School systems usually want to have school sponsored model clubs get kids interested in science and technology and to learn something while having fun. You might find a teacher who has a pilots license and willing to teach basic aerodynamics, i.e. how airplanes fly and how they are controlled.Maybe your club could visit an air field or air museum. You could build some simple gliders or rubber band powered models and learn how to balance them and get them to fly, might even have some fun contests for distance or duration. Finally, you could teach members how to take off, fly, and land a simple electric powered foamie powered glider or Cub trainer and get their "wings". After that the members of the group who want to continue flying can get their own foamie ARF's and just fun fly or participate in simple fun contests and exhibitions for the other school kids. A club can be what you make it. It's got to be safe and fun to survive.
Closed Thread