New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 06, 2012, 06:28 AM
Find More Posts by cleaverpj
Joined Dec 2009
6 Posts
Paradude, you are the dude, thanks man, can't wait to try it with some instructions!!

I am actually using this as a vehicle for a UAV using an Android phone onboard for all comms and video. In theory, it's the simplest UAV ever.
cleaverpj is offline Find More Posts by cleaverpj
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 24, 2015, 04:46 PM
Find More Posts by parajared
no guts no glory
United States, AZ, Prescott
Joined Oct 2013
651 Posts
I couldn't help myself and ended up buying one.

I fly full scale paraglider and the kite had some appeal to me. I know this thread is a million years old but has anyone installed a speed-bar setup on theirs? In full scale paragliding you have this bar that you push on with your legs that pulls on the A-lines down for a more aggressive angle of attack.

Has anyone used it as a skydiving chute?
parajared is offline Find More Posts by parajared
Old Jul 04, 2015, 11:57 PM
Find More Posts by sonnier00
United States, TX, Huntsville
Joined Oct 2011
256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by parajared View Post

I fly full scale paraglider and the kite had some appeal to me. I know this thread is a million years old but has anyone installed a speed-bar setup on theirs? In full scale paragliding you have this bar that you push on with your legs that pulls on the A-lines down for a more aggressive angle of attack.

How to dribble go I'll just got one myself but I haven't flown it
sonnier00 is offline Find More Posts by sonnier00
Old Jul 04, 2015, 11:58 PM
Find More Posts by sonnier00
United States, TX, Huntsville
Joined Oct 2011
256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by parajared View Post

How to build go I'll just got one myself but I haven't flown it
sonnier00 is offline Find More Posts by sonnier00
Old Jul 05, 2015, 08:01 PM
no guts no glory
Joined Oct 2013
651 Posts
I just got it yesterday; I think I am going to throw my paratrooper off a cliff first and if he survives the fall I will drop him out of an airplane using the J-bag technique like with full scale paraglider pilots.

I built the arms out of popcicle sticks and I made some duct tape hang points. I have a low a medium and a high hang point because I'm not sure which will fly best. I plan to separate the hang points by 190mm which is why I built an EPP tray of sorts.

The chest (or servo tray) is made out of some epp from a badly crashed Tek Sumo I decommissioned a while back. I have started light (only about 100 grams) because it is easier to add weight later than it is to try and lose weight
Last edited by parajared; Jul 05, 2015 at 11:01 PM.
Old Jul 07, 2015, 09:45 AM
no guts no glory
Joined Oct 2013
651 Posts
I maidened my little paradude (read threw him off a cliff) yesterday and he flew.... right into a rock. This snapped both popcicle sticks so I was unable to continue testing with any rc control. I still did some testing with different weights however and here is what I came up with.

My initial tests yielded the following observations (weight of pilot only)
103 grams: waaay too light (collapses, nasty characteristics)
212 grams: flew light, may be ok for light wind stuff
323 grams: seemed to fly fine
488.2 grams: sunk out a little faster but also seemed to fly fine. Initial impression is that this is about the "normal weight", but further testing, preferably with actual rc control, is warranted to make sure.

My little 9 grams servos were really struggling with the torque so I replaced them with a couple of 50 gram servos. I also swapped off of my LiFe battery and switched to a larger, heavier nimh receiver pack. I put a layer of duct tape over everything to slick it down because the lines were catching on the balance lead, the servo wires and the zip ties although I am still worried a skydiver setup will potentially end up with lines snagged on the arms.
Last edited by parajared; Jul 07, 2015 at 09:54 AM.
Old Jul 17, 2015, 03:30 PM
Find More Posts by fly103-rcu
USA, NC, Cullowhee
Joined Jan 2004
48 Posts
R/C Skydiving
Check us out at www.solomonrc.com
fly103-rcu is offline Find More Posts by fly103-rcu