HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 02, 2011, 06:05 AM
It was a GLITCH! Honestly!
Stourport on Severn ,Worcestershire, United Kingdom
Joined Dec 2007
4,904 Posts
Rich,
Marks and Sparks!! great time of year this...just means money these days!

I don't think I have the skill to restring (or patience), I think I will get a kite like Bill and try again. But it will be next year now as I am up to my neck in Panther builds!

Rich
SafeLandings is offline Find More Posts by SafeLandings
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 02, 2011, 07:32 PM
Elizabeth South Australia 5113
Joined Nov 2005
1,827 Posts
Rich Glad to see that you are coming to grips with the monster.I have not been quite so lucky yet.I have had a couple of "tumbles' and was supprised to find how soft the ''aluminuminumillium''frame is. It bolted together perfectly but bent several parts with only light contact. But we dont give up that easy,do we?
Chris...........
britinoz is offline Find More Posts by britinoz
Old Dec 03, 2011, 05:38 AM
Wolverhampton, England
Joined Jun 2010
397 Posts
Hi Chris
Yes the trikes do fold into some really interesting shapes when "landing" but I think thats probably not a bad thing as it may absorb some of the loads and prevent damage to the expensive bits!!. Bends back easily enough though.

Found this video on the HobbyKing forum showing a mod for a springer front end and other useful ideas. If you watch his other videos, his really flies well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Urqek...eature=related

Cheers
Rich
Ricardo1500 is offline Find More Posts by Ricardo1500
Old Dec 03, 2011, 12:02 PM
RC Paramotor Pilot
Brasov, ROMANIA
Joined Aug 2008
196 Posts
The best link about this paraglider (Thanks, Padalec).

Hi,

after long research on internet, I found this link , where Padalec Nace from Slovenia (author of this kind of rc paraglider) give right length of lines, and what knots to use for rigging this paraglider.

I have 4 paraglider from HK. One I re-string like RTF parachute with succes, using Surfplan. Now, after that I found this link (is in bottom of the page, post of Padalec), I want to re-string one, using Padalec's length of lines.

Many thanks to Padalec for his post !

Happy landings,

Popa D.
popad is offline Find More Posts by popad
Old Dec 03, 2011, 07:40 PM
Joined Nov 2005
1,827 Posts
G'Day Rich
Thanks ,I have seen that video,and I did modify my gondola in a similar way ,but I have not even had the model in the air yet, and it has still been damaged just by tumbling over on the ground.If all go's well I am pretty shore that I can make a suitable one of my own.
happy Landings
Chris...........
Old Dec 04, 2011, 01:26 PM
South - Africa
Joined Nov 2007
232 Posts
Wish I saw this tread yesterday. Tried my HK foil and condola today and it flipped backwards. After I've replaced the broken motor shaft Ill check the cg and AoA like suggested here and I'll try again next weekend. Thanks for you're input.
EINA is offline Find More Posts by EINA
Old Dec 07, 2011, 12:57 AM
Joined Nov 2005
1,827 Posts
Several days ago I went along to see the' Paradude',fortunately for me he is only a couple of "Km s' down the road,and he helped clear up a couple of my concerns and he showed me how the foil should open. Today was the first chance since then that I was able to try my Bela trike.First attempt it was up and away,unfortunately in left banks only with right stick not having any effect on the flight. So I put the model down pretty gently,but unfortunately causing a major ball of string.(wheels ,prop,frame all tangled.)
I'm a big boy .I didn't cry or say bad words. I am pretty sure that it will be OK in a day or so!!
Happy Landings
Chris...........
Old Dec 08, 2011, 02:08 AM
Graham Dyer
Johannesburg, South Africa
Joined Jul 2003
701 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EINA View Post
Wish I saw this tread yesterday. Tried my HK foil and condola today and it flipped backwards. After I've replaced the broken motor shaft Ill check the cg and AoA like suggested here and I'll try again next weekend. Thanks for you're input.
Experimenting with my HK parafoil at the moment, had a few relatively successful flights (and some very successful crashes), turning seems to be the problem being marginal at best.

@EINA, where do you fly from? I might be going out to White Hills on Sunday otherwise flying in Northcliff, JHB.
pardus is offline Find More Posts by pardus
Old Dec 08, 2011, 04:43 AM
South - Africa
Joined Nov 2007
232 Posts
Pardus, I'm flying at RAM just outside Pta north, we'll be camping at the field for the weekend, unforunately I will not have the canopy set up to take along.. Would larger inputs help with the stering?
Old Dec 08, 2011, 07:07 AM
Graham Dyer
Joined Jul 2003
701 Posts
Have just lengthened the arms, hopefully I'll have some more directional control. The parafoil seems to fly OK but it would be nice to see someone else's setup.

I've also been trying to get all the strings to pull equally on the foil, the far outer trailing edge strings seem too tight pulling the trailing edge tips inward almost like "wash-in" so I have lengthened them slightly too, will test again...
Old Dec 16, 2011, 08:45 AM
Graham Dyer
Joined Jul 2003
701 Posts
Been having a couple of nice flights with the parafoil, setting up and tuning is still a work in progress though...

Here's a vid:

HobbyKing Parafoil with ply Gondola, R/C - launch, flyby & land (0 min 53 sec)
Last edited by pardus; Dec 16, 2011 at 08:51 AM.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 03:59 PM
Coral Springs, FL
Joined Mar 2010
409 Posts
Here's my last attempt with my PPG, taken a couple of weeks ago by my brother.

I have shelved this project for now. After many launches and even a few (short) flights, I believe my foil will fly - with the right buggy & power set-up.

The buggy needs to be within the acceptable weight range (mine was initially too heavy) and the lines should attach above or towards the top of the prop ring - this saves on lines being eaten by the prop. It also needs to be set up for a 12" prop. My power plant was a 3536 1450kv. I believe this is not a suitable motor. It's powerful enough, but should be lower kv, so it can be used with a 12" prop.

I'll give this another chance someday, when I have a better suited motor & a new buggy.

FL Flying Day Two - HobyKing 2.5 M Paraglider Multiple Crashes (4 min 20 sec)
gatorlynch is offline Find More Posts by gatorlynch
Old Jan 17, 2012, 04:22 PM
South - Africa
Joined Nov 2007
232 Posts
Pardus, seemed to me that you had some great socsess with your foil, nice vid.
I did not go back to see what you did but could you please share some tips so I can give it a try again when the dc-3 is done?
Old Jan 17, 2012, 08:14 PM
Joined Nov 2005
1,827 Posts
G'Day Gator
If I did not know better,then I would have said that you had been filming my futile attempts to fly these accursed machines. May be that I also should shelf this project. I think that I should just stick with autogyros,
Happy Landings
Chris............
Old Jan 18, 2012, 03:03 AM
Joined Dec 2010
208 Posts
G'day Chris, shame you have not had yours in the air yet mate. Looks like we will be flying this Sunday so more than welcome to come in and we'll help you get it flying
Paradude is offline Find More Posts by Paradude