SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 22, 2011, 12:40 PM
Whats a search engine?
Missouri
Joined Jun 2006
886 Posts
Question - how are you guys temporarily tying off your brake lines?

Use 2 half hitches Might need a pair of tweezers to get it un done .
But shouldn't be to hard . You can use this knot on almost anything and it will hold .

inventing_man is offline Find More Posts by inventing_man
Last edited by inventing_man; Nov 22, 2011 at 12:56 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 22, 2011, 03:38 PM
Up State New York , USA
Joined Mar 2009
1,231 Posts
It's not as simple as I though!! Attempt #1 very short. My tri gear buggy had too short of a body and kept falling over backwards. A little extension and moving the battery out further fixed that. Attempt # 2 I was able to get it into the air the but no level flight !! the back edge was lower then the front.

Are you guys attaching the bridal directly to the gondola? I was thinking of adding about 12 to 16 inches of leader to the ends of the bridal to get the gondola to hang a little lower.

If I hang the canopy from the bridal how should it look? I'll do this and post a picture.

Still working out the kinks I think it will work with a little tweaking.

This is the way I shortened the rear bridal wires. On my kite there is a short rope that has all the rear guide wires attached through a loop in that rope and the other end has another loop that attaches to the final lanyard to the swivel. I used 2 heavy duty wire ties together through the loops and drew them up to shorten that wire only. No knots, This my be different on other brands of kites.

Bill
Mud Duck Bill is online now Find More Posts by Mud Duck Bill
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Mud Duck Bill; Nov 22, 2011 at 05:03 PM.
Old Nov 23, 2011, 11:54 AM
Wolverhampton, England
Joined Jun 2010
397 Posts
Well I finally got my Hobby King wing and trike to fly properly today....I was having problems with a lack of thrust so went for a slow fly prop. What a difference. 2 full 5 minute flights ,although it was a constant battle with the 10mph ish wind. As others have reported it really struggles to turn right (would make a good autogyro then!!), but I think a bit more fiddling and a bit less wind should help. With all the wheels so close together, landings also tend to be a tumbling affair! Sorry no video, the camera man was at school but we will try to get a bit at the weekend

Cheers
Rich
Ricardo1500 is offline Find More Posts by Ricardo1500
Old Nov 23, 2011, 08:49 PM
Elizabeth South Australia 5113
Joined Nov 2005
1,827 Posts
Ok .Ricardo You got yours to fly...Great.... I just received mine in the mail.. It's a bit scary ,all those strings and 'flappy' bits ,and what's this about right turns ....I thought that I would be getting away from that problem,we will see. I will be modifying the U/C as suggested .
Happy Whatever
Chris........
britinoz is offline Find More Posts by britinoz
Old Nov 24, 2011, 04:39 AM
Joined Nov 2005
1,827 Posts
Ricardo
What size motor are you using, because if I were to use a S/L prop on mine.then it would shatter.
I am using the same size motor /prop /servos and lipo as my Autogyros.
Today I set up my ABCD and have the foil popping up nicely ,I don't know were they get 2.1 mtr span (must have a broken yard stick)
I checked out my foil and all looks in good shape ,and I noticed that all the line junction were already glued in place.
I do have a question as to the setting up of the brake lines .Are they set to pull down with UP elevator.I read some where that when they come down the model will climb or drop???? Did I miss something
Happy Landings
Chris................
Old Nov 24, 2011, 07:05 AM
Wolverhampton, England
Joined Jun 2010
397 Posts
Chris

The motor I am using is this one pinched from my RPG
Having read your comments and knowing you knowledge in this field I have checked the APC site and yes I am exceeding their recommended RPM limits by about a thousand!! Thanks for the pointer I shall not be doing that again!

Fortunatly I have had some 4S pack arrive today so will be able to get the required extra RPM's needed from a standard prop.

With the brake lines you need to have them being pulled down with down elevator, and pulling down which ever side you are attempting to turn with left and right stick . ie turn left pull left brake line. As for spacing of your rings I have ended up with 70mm total with the intermediate ones spaced evenly between.

Cheers
Rich

The ultimate aim is to convert my spare Rex body into a gondola, the size is about right but I really want to get the hang of flying them first as it wouldn't have survived this far!!
Old Nov 25, 2011, 04:24 AM
Joined Nov 2005
1,827 Posts
OK Gentlemen
The Bela is constructed with a modified U/C and spreader bar as recommended from those who know. The Foil is popping up as I believe it should.So I am getting close to my first Para motor test fly. I do have a question as to the angle of the dangle. I have seen some recommend that this unit should have +3 deg when supported from the spreader bar,and others up to -3 deg. Is there a safe starting point. On this subject ,I don't have a clue.
Happy Landings
Chris................
Old Nov 25, 2011, 09:10 AM
Up State New York , USA
Joined Mar 2009
1,231 Posts
Either do I Chris. Have a clue that is. Bill

P.S. I went out today and tried again with the shortened rear wires NOT the thing to do. At least not from where I stood I managed a loop!!! so I went back to the stock length on the rear and then shortened the front set the same amount and tried again, I managed a short flight and had better control but it was rather windy and I put it down before it wound up in a tree. I will try again in less wind later, I'm encouraged.
Mud Duck Bill is online now Find More Posts by Mud Duck Bill
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Mud Duck Bill; Nov 25, 2011 at 04:12 PM.
Old Nov 25, 2011, 06:10 PM
Joined Dec 2010
208 Posts
G'day Chris, I have a workshop in Elizabeth West if you want to come and look how they are setup. Not there until 3pm weekdays unfortunately. As the others have said, don't worry about the AOA degree as it will be different for yours.....70mm start and go from there. We set servo's up as a delta plane, left/right up and down. We mix elevator so the servo arms do not move upwards and max downwards, also mix flaps for both brake lines to a switch so we can have super slow descent.
Paradude is offline Find More Posts by Paradude
Old Nov 25, 2011, 08:20 PM
Joined Nov 2005
1,827 Posts
Thanks
That is the info that I was wanting. I will catch up with you soon.
Chris......
Old Nov 30, 2011, 03:18 PM
Coral Springs, FL
Joined Mar 2010
409 Posts
First real flight, with the ability to control & turn (just like you're supposed to ...)

As you can see, I do need to adjust the brake lines - she really wanted to turn to the right hands off. Also need to improve my hand launch technique, as she was really swinging around there right at the beginning.

All in all, I'm very pleased ! I've had some frustrating moments since I started this thread - this is definitely not a plug-n-fly proposition.

Paraglider Success -Hobby King 2.15M Parafoil (2 min 16 sec)
gatorlynch is offline Find More Posts by gatorlynch
Old Dec 01, 2011, 01:58 PM
Wolverhampton, England
Joined Jun 2010
397 Posts
Hi Gatorlynch

Congratulations on getting yours in the air!! great video

I finally managed to make a day off coincide with some calm weather and flew mine again today....what a difference calm air makes. Turns right a lot easier and a lot less swinging like a pendulum. Even had someone there to film it!!

RC Paramotor at Walsall MAC (4 min 48 sec)
Old Dec 01, 2011, 02:51 PM
Joined Jun 2006
1,065 Posts
A very stable well controlled flight, Rick, and as you say a lot easier in calm weather, but alas we live in the UK! Glad you were able to sort out your lines.
Ted
tedrobphoto is offline Find More Posts by tedrobphoto
Old Dec 02, 2011, 03:40 AM
It was a GLITCH! Honestly!
Stourport on Severn ,Worcestershire, United Kingdom
Joined Dec 2007
4,906 Posts
Rich,
That goes really well,certainly a model for calmer conditions. Was that with the new 4s pack fitted?

Rich
SafeLandings is offline Find More Posts by SafeLandings
Old Dec 02, 2011, 05:33 AM
Wolverhampton, England
Joined Jun 2010
397 Posts
Hi Rich

No that was still with 3s and a slowfly prop, although I cant use full RPM's as that would exceed the safe limit. My 4s still not arrived...thought they had but the parcel was yet another of the wifes from Marks and Sparks!!.

Seems really controllable in just a gentle breeze although I'm not sure I'm up to that night flying lark just yet!!

What have you you decided to do with yours, are you going to repair , restring or replace??