SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 16, 2011, 04:38 AM
Joined Jun 2006
1,065 Posts
Paradude, you haven't any idea of what regulation is until you come into the UK now that Europe has taken over!
Ted
tedrobphoto is offline Find More Posts by tedrobphoto
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 16, 2011, 12:40 PM
Whats a search engine?
Missouri
Joined Jun 2006
886 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradude View Post
That would be awesome to do it for real but as I live in Australia with anal retentive folk hell bent on regulating the colour of our farts my bet would be 100 times the cost of the paraglider in fee's and license. Not only that but by the time it all got past and approved my blood pressure at 85 would not allow me to travel higher than 2 feet....so rc ones will have to do LOL.

There is a guy in this forum somewhere that shows how to build the kite versions, started out with blue foam and now sells them but they seem to work well, very on par with the HK foil but they are better suited to weight shift
I have not seen that one , can you put up a link to it ?
inventing_man is offline Find More Posts by inventing_man
Old Nov 16, 2011, 03:03 PM
Joined Dec 2010
208 Posts
I made one of these as my first paraglider but never got it flying right.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=710384
Paradude is offline Find More Posts by Paradude
Old Nov 16, 2011, 08:10 PM
Whats a search engine?
Missouri
Joined Jun 2006
886 Posts
OH Ok LOL ! I thought some one made a parafoil wing out of fan fold . Like how'd they do that 8)
Old Nov 16, 2011, 08:18 PM
Whats a search engine?
Missouri
Joined Jun 2006
886 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedrobphoto View Post
Paradude, you haven't any idea of what regulation is until you come into the UK now that Europe has taken over!
Ted
Wow.. yeah, I'm kinda sure it's going to happen here too If people dont wise up and fly within the FAR 103 rules and use common sence .
But as with all rules they impose to keep us safe from ourselves and make money on the side , , the reality is there is just not enough manpower to enforce it .
Old Nov 19, 2011, 04:17 PM
Up State New York , USA
Joined Mar 2009
1,227 Posts
Well Fellas:
My Para-foil kite arrived today and I set it into the wind to open it up. Looks nice will start on a gondola soon, Is weight going to be a big factor? Any and all comments are going to be useful.

Para Bill
Mud Duck Bill is online now Find More Posts by Mud Duck Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 19, 2011, 08:18 PM
Joined Dec 2010
208 Posts
Be good to see your progress Bill, a rough guide is 800g-1kg per meter so spread it out and measure it (don't go by what they advertise, the HK foil is actually 1.8mtrs as apposed to advertised 2.1). I think there is a formula to use based on meter squared by we're not all aeronautical engineers so close enough is good enough when it comes to havin fun LOL
Paradude is offline Find More Posts by Paradude
Old Nov 21, 2011, 06:03 PM
Up State New York , USA
Joined Mar 2009
1,227 Posts
Well this is what I have so far, and I thought if I flew the kite to get a feel for the way it handles it might help under stand flight characteristics. Well let me tell you it's not as easy as they show on the package.

Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 21, 2011, 09:07 PM
Whats a search engine?
Missouri
Joined Jun 2006
886 Posts
Flying Power kites , AS power kites Is fun when you get the hang of it . Normally they are flown in the power zone or at about a 45 or less degree angle to the ground . How ever in PPG applications Its different , Its going to be flying directly over head . If your trying to fly it over head with Long lines ( like the ones that came with the kite ) This is going to be difficult because of the wind drag on the long lines will want to pull the kite back down in the power zone .
If you want to experment with over head kiting, like the wing will be over the trike , Shorten the lines to about 10 to 15 foot long max, and fly it in over 10 mph winds , which is about the speed of the trike at normal flying speed. You need to be in a good area where the wind is smooth and not being disturbed with trees and buildings causing rotor.
http://www.kiteboardingevolution.com/wind-window.html
Good Start on the trike !
Last edited by inventing_man; Nov 21, 2011 at 09:25 PM.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 04:06 AM
Elizabeth South Australia 5113
Joined Nov 2005
1,819 Posts
G'day Bill
Looks like your sucker for punishment....BTW.... I am waiting at the post box for my one to arrive.............
Happy Landings
Chris.........
britinoz is offline Find More Posts by britinoz
Old Nov 22, 2011, 08:35 AM
Coral Springs, FL
Joined Mar 2010
409 Posts
She Flies !!!

I was finally able to get her to fly yesterday. I had 2 nice flights where she was flying in a stable manner & was able to climb & descend using the throttle. The flights ended only because I put her down due to closeness of obstacles (fence & car) - see lack of steering below ...

The 70mm AOA works well, as does the 48 oz. (1.36 Kg) AUW.

Sad to say, no video. My hat cam was pointed up at the Heavens (perhaps that's why she finallly flew ...).

The launch technique that works best for me is to face the rear (with my back to the wind or launch direction), set throttle to just above half, and lift the trike to just above my head, letting the foil fill up and come overhead. Then I just gently release, letting her fly out of my hand, turn around & fly.

I had been tossing it up across my body facing sideways, but realized I was trying too much to toss or throw it forward like you would with a plane. I think this was unnecessary and resulted in the trike swinging about with bad results.

The issue I had today was lack of steering (I know - such a minor issue .....). I have yet to do final adjustments on the brake lines & had too much slack in them. I did program more down throw for my second flight and had some steering, but then a car got too close & I had no confidence I could turn her away safely.

Question - how are you guys temporarily tying off your brake lines? I have just been using some loops and some tape to hold them. I didn't think if I actually tied them off that I would be able to loosen the knots of that thin line to readjust as needed. I would like to tie them off now, but I'm thinking I will still need to do some adjustments to complete dialing in the proper length.
gatorlynch is offline Find More Posts by gatorlynch
Old Nov 22, 2011, 09:52 AM
Up State New York , USA
Joined Mar 2009
1,227 Posts
Ya Chris: I got to stop following that Safelandings fellow around the Groups he cost me money every time he changes gears. Going to add the radio and see what happens today.

Regards Bill.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 22, 2011, 10:46 AM
It was a GLITCH! Honestly!
Stourport on Severn ,Worcestershire, United Kingdom
Joined Dec 2007
4,898 Posts
Tim,
Congratulations on getting yours into the air, just a bit of fine tuning and you will have it turning on a six pence

Bill,
Sorry!! but I think you may well be making me spend some money on a new kite like yours, I will be watching in anticipation Your Gonola looks good

I had a bit of an issue with mine last week 'playing after dark', cut through a set of the main lines on a bad launch.

RC Para Motor Night flying attempt ends in tears (1 min 59 sec)

How hard is it to restring? and what kind of strings are best?? or is it best to get a new kite like Bills?

Rich
SafeLandings is offline Find More Posts by SafeLandings
Old Nov 22, 2011, 11:57 AM
Joined Jun 2006
1,065 Posts
Rich,I had similar problems with my Seabreeze but the "UFLY" guy used COLOURED strings so that it was easy to both untangle AND mend where necessary (that latter actually never happened)

Cheers Ted (P.S. you were VERY Brave/Crazy) to night fly!
tedrobphoto is offline Find More Posts by tedrobphoto
Old Nov 22, 2011, 12:30 PM
Whats a search engine?
Missouri
Joined Jun 2006
886 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeLandings View Post
Tim,

How hard is it to restring? and what kind of strings are best?? or is it best to get a new kite like Bills?
Rich
Re stringing With a no stretch braded fishing line like Fire wire or Spider line seems to work best . Make a drawing of the wing and all the line placements then measure each one , loging the info on your drawing . You only need to log one half the wing , the other side will be a carbon copy.
Make a peg board with small nails driven in at the points you located so each line set is identical to the other side . String your lines using the nails a pull points . but you dont need to pull hard , CA glue works well for forming easy loops by just folding the line back on itself and let it cure . Using tooth picks to hold it togather as it sets up . Real thin CA works best
Last edited by inventing_man; Nov 22, 2011 at 12:53 PM.