SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 13, 2011, 08:10 AM
RC Paramotor Pilot
Brasov, ROMANIA
Joined Aug 2008
196 Posts
@Paradude:

Attachment 4412189

distance is 75mm when trike is heavy, and 65mm when is light ?

Thanks.
popad is offline Find More Posts by popad
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 13, 2011, 09:10 AM
It was a GLITCH! Honestly!
Stourport on Severn ,Worcestershire, United Kingdom
Joined Dec 2007
4,903 Posts
Mine seems pretty close to your set up. I didn't take any measurements but kept adjusting the bottom ring further away from the top until it stopped nosing up in flight.
Seems the bottom ring is the key for effective flight.

Each time I moved this ring further away from the top fixed one I had to reset the rings in between. This I did by hanging the model and foil upside down, Adjust the them until they just started to tension up.
But each time I have had to do this the brake lines needed to be adjusted to suit as they tightened up as the AoA was altered.

I have added some more tension to my right hand brake line and will try again this afternoon, little bit windy here today though

Rich
SafeLandings is offline Find More Posts by SafeLandings
Old Nov 13, 2011, 03:45 PM
Joined Dec 2010
208 Posts
Yeah thats pretty much it Popad, it really just depends on weight thats why there is no measurement written there. As I-man has pointed out "kiting" is a good way to test, if you look at nearly every model paraglider site and foil manufacturer you will see this, I rekon I even have a video that shows this. Grab the foil by the risers and have it in front of you as if you were using a kite, keeping your arms straight take one step back and yank at the foil. If the AOA is set right the foil will pop straight over your head, you should be able to walk backward slowly and the foil will stay directly above your head. If it does not go over your head keep adjusting AOA (only by a few mm each time) until it does, if it does go above your head but the corners keep collapsing then you have gone too far. The buggies/trikes I have range from 1kg to over 2kg and the AOA is different on all of them.

Just follow what Rich is doing and you've nailed it. Launching seems to be the hardest obstacle, if your set up is wrong then there is only one way it will end if you throw it in the air LOL. Apart from trikes that have small wheel footprint a correctly set up paraglider will take off from the ground I guarantee it.
Paradude is offline Find More Posts by Paradude
Last edited by Paradude; Nov 13, 2011 at 03:50 PM. Reason: added stuff
Old Nov 13, 2011, 04:22 PM
Coral Springs, FL
Joined Mar 2010
409 Posts
Attempt #3

Well, I think the diet worked - I got the trike (yes, she's now a trike) down to 48 oz. (1.36 kg.). I don't think excess weight is an issue any more.

Winds were strong & gusting today (up to 20 mph). Not the best day to launch, but I was so inspired by Rich, I stayed up past midnight last night to get her ready for today.

At the field, I thought that perhaps my hand toss was bad & had induced a swinging motion. After reviewing the video, it almost seems like my left brake line was too tight, causing a roll.

Thoughts or suggestions? .......

Paraglider attempt #3 - HobbyKing 2.15M Parafoil (0 min 37 sec)
gatorlynch is online now Find More Posts by gatorlynch
Old Nov 13, 2011, 04:55 PM
Joined Dec 2007
4,903 Posts
Tim,
That looks so close you can almost taste it

Looks like your left hand brake line may well be tighter than the right side, try slackening it and see if it does the same.
If that doesn't work you may well have one of the fixed line strings a little tighter on one side than the other pulling the LE slightly down on one side?

I took mine out again this afternoon, it was a bit windy but I did get a couple of flights in.
For some reason it kept rocking from side to side? I added ballast weight and this didn't help, the same when I swapped to a lighter 3 cell Lipo. Could have just been the wind, not sure?

RC ParaMotor in the Wind (3 min 47 sec)

Back home in one piece which is always a bonus

Rich
Old Nov 13, 2011, 08:01 PM
Up State New York , USA
Joined Mar 2009
1,231 Posts
That looks like fun Rich I may have to see if I can do this but I think I should master the Panther first. Or Not. Bill
Mud Duck Bill is offline Find More Posts by Mud Duck Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 14, 2011, 02:29 AM
Joined Dec 2010
208 Posts
gatorlynch, the ground launch fails should have given you a big hint Agree with the brake line may have been tight. Unfortunately Rich that is not far off as good as the HK foil gets, the swinging can be eased by widening the tie points......mine are 180-200mm. Even then it gets a big swing every now and then but you learn to combat it further by giving a quick flick on the stick.

RC Paraglider buggy with STD foil (10 min 22 sec)
Old Nov 14, 2011, 09:32 AM
Joined Dec 2007
4,903 Posts
Nice one ParaDude

My main line mount spacings are 160mm apart, a bit awkward to change this as it would be easier to make up a new Gondola.

What is the cause of the rocking? or is it just the way they fly?

Would longer lines help? and motor offset?

Rich
Old Nov 14, 2011, 02:31 PM
Up State New York , USA
Joined Mar 2009
1,231 Posts
Hey Fellas: I have a Question Is a (speed foil kite) different from what you guys are using to lift your gondolas or are they a special kind of para-foil just for what you are using them for? I ask because I have found kites like this and wonder if they will work the same way as you are using them.

http://www.amazon.com/Prism-Snapshot...d_rhf_pe_p_t_2

Thanks for your time, A wannabe paragliderer Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 14, 2011, 11:41 PM
Whats a search engine?
Missouri
Joined Jun 2006
886 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud Duck Bill View Post
Hey Fellas: I have a Question Is a (speed foil kite) different from what you guys are using to lift your gondolas or are they a special kind of para-foil just for what you are using them for? I ask because I have found kites like this and wonder if they will work the same way as you are using them.
http://www.amazon.com/Prism-Snapshot...d_rhf_pe_p_t_2
Thanks for your time, A wannabe paragliderer Bill
Yes it will Mud Duck . Parafoil kites come in 2 versions 2 line and 4 line .The 4 line have brakes lines that operate the trailing edge like independant flaps . The 2 line ( like your link shows) use weight shift or pulling one riser group at a time to make turns. Both work , with weight shift being a slower reacting form of turning, and that may be a good thing! . But brake lines can be added to a 2 line kite if you wanted to .
The key is getting the AoA or leading edge of the kite lower than it is set up for being a kite . And to do that you hang the kite upside down with your bridals at about 12 inches apart attached to the cieling and shorten the leading edge lines , till you get about a 2 - 3 degree AoA, then progressevly work the other lines to get the slack out that you made shortening the leading edge lines. It takes a while and you need to be fairly accurate . The only way to know If indeed you need to change the AoA is to take the kite out and try to fly it directly over your head with short lines of about 10 foot . , If it will fly there you may be good . If it wants to fly lower than that , the AoA will need changed . After you have adjusted the AoA take it out and test fly it again to make sure everything is good .
Here is a vid of a home made PPG using a HQ version of the kite you posted . It is using strictly weight shift , no brakes, and the Aoa was slightly changed .
rc.paramotor easy to do.rm (3 min 42 sec)
inventing_man is offline Find More Posts by inventing_man
Last edited by inventing_man; Nov 15, 2011 at 12:19 AM.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 10:40 AM
Up State New York , USA
Joined Mar 2009
1,231 Posts
Well Mr. MAN:
With that being said I am going to order 2.1 size para-foil kite today! And by the way are those aluminum studs you are using for the body of the sled? Great!! Love the music too just a MAN and his invention on a lazy afternoon enjoying the fruits of his labor.
Thanks MAN, Bill

P.S. What's a search engine? I got one but you have to pump the accelerator a few times to get it started.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 15, 2011, 01:19 PM
Whats a search engine?
Missouri
Joined Jun 2006
886 Posts
Its not my build Bill . Those are dollar store bought aluminum 2 foot levels .
Here is the thread http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1423953 that I posted the vid from . NVmike And His friend ( the guy flying) built this . The info on what they did is contained in the 3 pages of post . Its not a dedicated build thread to this PPG , but it contains some useful info. You will just have to weed through it . Hope you get something flying soon! As for me I'm going to be playing with my real paraglider .
Name: PG 036.jpg
Views: 73
Size: 28.8 KB
Description:
Last edited by inventing_man; Nov 15, 2011 at 01:49 PM.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 03:28 PM
Up State New York , USA
Joined Mar 2009
1,231 Posts
Hey, MAN:
I would love to do that too but those days are behind me now. Thanks for the info and safe sailing.

Regards Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 15, 2011, 04:46 PM
Whats a search engine?
Missouri
Joined Jun 2006
886 Posts
Dont count yourself out Bill , I'm 53 .
There are Real trikes out there . The One I'm saving up for is this .
http://www.falcon4strokeppg.com/
I would like a to do a scale RC flyer of it one day.
Last edited by inventing_man; Nov 15, 2011 at 09:56 PM.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 01:44 AM
Joined Dec 2010
208 Posts
That would be awesome to do it for real but as I live in Australia with anal retentive folk hell bent on regulating the colour of our farts my bet would be 100 times the cost of the paraglider in fee's and license. Not only that but by the time it all got past and approved my blood pressure at 85 would not allow me to travel higher than 2 feet....so rc ones will have to do LOL.

There is a guy in this forum somewhere that shows how to build the kite versions, started out with blue foam and now sells them but they seem to work well, very on par with the HK foil but they are better suited to weight shift