Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 19, 2011, 09:26 PM
Joined Aug 2011
15 Posts
Discussion
Piper Pawnee 33% or 40% Piper Cub?

I am old and tired. I have been in a debate on two completely different planes that I am both interested in equally for months now. Any help or any suggestions would be fantastic. If only I could test fly them first...

Here is what I am looking at Hangar 9 33% Pawnee or Bill Hempel 40% Cub. Yes I know two different planes. They both about the same in costs to put together I assume? Can anyone steer me in one direction or the other?

Here is what I am looking for... towing, detailed instructions, acrobatic info? (anyone fly one of them or both? How they handle?) easy to build?

I have a history with hangar 9 and I generally like how they do business. You can download manuals, everything you need is clearly stated on site, never seem to lack quality. "Bills" Site I know little about and only looked at his planes because someone pointed them to me. I do not like the fact that you can not buy on site or that small things like airplane specifications is missing.

I guess I am just looking for people that flown the 33% Pawnee or 40% cub. Looking for feedback. People that put them together and what they used would be a great help.
behour is offline Find More Posts by behour
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 19, 2011, 11:02 PM
park city
Joined Jul 2004
910 Posts
Even though it cost extra I love BH's 40% cub. I have personally saw a friends fly and it was short of amazing. Bill offers great customer service as well..
taildragger21 is offline Find More Posts by taildragger21
Old Oct 21, 2011, 04:54 AM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Mar 2004
1,099 Posts
33% Pawnee or 40% cub

IMHO the Pawnee winds hands down. I just like the looks of them compared to the Club.With that said, a friend of mind that I have flown with for 30 years hates the looks of the Pawnee and loves the club. At the present he is thinking of ordering the Carbon Club from Aeroworks $2100 -ouch. Back to the crop dusters- RC Guys makes a nice one and World Models just came out with a 108" wingspan red/white 50cc real nice for $650+$100 on shipping.

Good luck on your choice.
Go4it is offline Find More Posts by Go4it
Old Oct 21, 2011, 10:42 PM
United States, SD
Joined Aug 2010
1,058 Posts
Nothing more beautiful than a cub.
Kyler1 is offline Find More Posts by Kyler1
Old Jan 06, 2012, 03:41 PM
United States, GA, Calhoun
Joined Jun 2011
135 Posts
Except an Ultra Sport
KaP2011 is offline Find More Posts by KaP2011
Old Jan 15, 2012, 02:42 PM
United States, CA, Barstow
Joined May 2004
137 Posts
Debate

I scatch built a SR-2 1/3 scale cropduster and it does everthing the real one did. Always like AG airplanes just because they were different. I also own a H9 1/4 scale J3 Cub and this machine has to be flown all the time just as the real one. The AG airframe is stable and forgiving but the J3 requires you to pay attention especially during t/o and landing. I like them both. If I were you, flip a coin.
flycatch is offline Find More Posts by flycatch
Last edited by flycatch; Jan 15, 2012 at 02:42 PM. Reason: grammar
Old Jan 16, 2012, 10:38 AM
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Dec 2006
1,646 Posts
I would think the Cub is easier to fly. I have dealt with the Hemples and seen Bill fly. They are first class good people. They are in Tucson and the family business is Hobby Barn (www.hobbybarn.com). I have had problems with Horizon regarding radios. I found their customer service to be non-existent and unresponsive. They are the place to get Saito parts and I would go no further than that.
Chip01 is offline Find More Posts by Chip01