SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 19, 2011, 09:10 PM
Joined Nov 2009
50 Posts
Question
OS 95AX Good or not so good

I need some feedback on the OS 95AX. I am considering it amoung others as the engine for the TF 60 Corsair (full kit) I have just started. There does not seem to be a lot of threads about it. The few I have found seem to have a number of people who have trouble with it not idling and with flame outs. The engine if I go with this one would be mounted at a 90 (on its side) and have a Bisson Pitts muffler. I know there are lots of other options so what have the rest oy you used for this kit? Thanks!

Garry
Gwilken is offline Find More Posts by Gwilken
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 20, 2011, 04:32 PM
finland
Joined Dec 2005
24 Posts
.75 and 1.20 ax is very good engines,runs like a clock.
1.20ax apc 15x10 9000rpm and no nitro.
Kyosho Ta-152 2nd takeoff (0 min 29 sec)
särpet is offline Find More Posts by särpet
Old Oct 20, 2011, 11:33 PM
TigreJohn
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Aug 2008
1,006 Posts
Not sure about the 95AX, but earlier large OS engines with backplate mounted needle valves had a problem. Appears that enough engine heat was transferred thru the mount to cause "vapor lock". Resolve was to do a remote mount of the valve assembly.
jjkupinski is offline Find More Posts by jjkupinski
Old Oct 21, 2011, 12:28 AM
USA, UT, Tooele
Joined Dec 2010
7 Posts
Gwilken,
I have a OS .95 and it has been rock solid in my Seagull Extra 260. It has plenty of power to pull a 10# plane around. I have had no difficulty with the idle or issues related to vapor lock. The engine ran strong right out of the box and I was able to do most of the engine break in in the air as the idle was flawless and I was not worried about dead sticks. My engine was run with a bisson pitts muffler. I used a master airscrew 15x8 prop. If you have any specific questions about my experience with the OS .95; I would be glad to answer them to the best of my ability. If you are interested, Fly RC did an engine review of the OS .95 in their November 2010 issue.

Hope this comment is helpful,

Psyched
Psyched 2 Fly is offline Find More Posts by Psyched 2 Fly
Old Oct 21, 2011, 09:04 PM
Joined Nov 2009
50 Posts
Thanks for the responese guys! The other slight concern I have is the tank position. The tank is going to be higher than the carb no matter how I mount the engine. The kit has a ply backbone at the front that is on the center line. The tank sits on top of it. The only way to mount the engine so its carb center is in line with half tank would be to mount it upright. No easy way for muffler to exit without ruining the lines of the aircraft! So I am planning to got at 45 degrees and have the pitts exit the bottom. This issue would be a problem no matter what engine I install. The needle valve is mounted up front on an angle so I don't think vapor lock should be a problem.
Gwilken is offline Find More Posts by Gwilken
Old Oct 25, 2011, 07:48 AM
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Dec 2009
1,403 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjkupinski View Post
Not sure about the 95AX, but earlier large OS engines with backplate mounted needle valves had a problem. Appears that enough engine heat was transferred thru the mount to cause "vapor lock". Resolve was to do a remote mount of the valve assembly.
Yikes thhat problem was over 7 years ago and still finds its way into the RC world with renewed enthusiasm.
I have a OS 91FX which was purchased last year. It had a revised remote needle valve assembly and it has ZERO running issues. The OS 95AX a different needle valve assembly with the needle valve built into the carb but exiting at an angle. Similar to the 55AX. there is zero issues with thios arrangement and it has the advantage of delivering a more precise mixture to the engine.
Excellent engine
TimBle is offline Find More Posts by TimBle
Old Oct 30, 2011, 11:07 PM
USA, UT, Tooele
Joined Dec 2010
7 Posts
Gwilken,
My .95 is mounted at a 45 degree angle with my tank slightly higher and it has given me no trouble at all.

Good Luck with your Corsair,

Psyched
Psyched 2 Fly is offline Find More Posts by Psyched 2 Fly