HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 19, 2011, 06:50 PM
Joined Aug 2003
2,655 Posts
Help!
FrSky DIY JR 6102

I've been reading and searching for about a week while waiting for my DIY module from HK to arrive. The problem is determing which wires in the Tx correspond to which wires on the module. Here's the thread that gets me close, but is still missing what I need.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...=jr+6102+frsky

It would be fairly easy if I was stealing the board out of a DX6, but that would limit me to those Rx and they are pretty much defunct, so I went with the FrSky.

That picture is from the ref thread.

On the FrSky module the yellow is PPM; Black is Gnd; Red is +V
The order from left to right is PPM, Gnd, +V

So, the question is on the 6102/DX6 conversion picture what is the order of the wires from left to right? On my 6102, there is a marker where the red wire plugs in, but I dont know what it actually is and I dont know what the other white wires are.

If you can help, thanks.
HELModels is offline Find More Posts by HELModels
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 19, 2011, 08:01 PM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, QC, Quebec City
Joined Sep 2006
5,892 Posts
Post #5 says the middle wire is ppm,the red wire V+ and the opposite wire ground from encoder):
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...46&postcount=5
The FrSky needs only V+,ppm and ground connected and the maual will says what is what from the DIY module:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...81X1298X36.pdf
coriolan is offline Find More Posts by coriolan
Old Oct 19, 2011, 08:24 PM
Joined Aug 2003
2,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coriolan View Post
Post #5 says the middle wire is ppm,the red wire V+ and the opposite wire ground from encoder):
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...46&postcount=5
The FrSky needs only V+,ppm and ground connected and the maual will says what is what from the DIY module:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...81X1298X36.pdf
Thank you very much. It makes sense now! In the picture I linked, yellow is PPM, duh. Red is V+, duh and so by default the other is Gnd.

So, when I go to solder The leftmost(as in picture)white wire is Gnd, Rightmost red wire is V+ and PPM is middle white wire.

I just need some shrink wrap, zip ties, gouge out a spot for the bind button.

Thanks!!!
Old Oct 20, 2011, 08:25 PM
Joined Aug 2003
2,655 Posts
Yee Ha! I just finished soldering and mounting the antenna. I used JB Weld to pot the antenna in the old tunnel. If I ever need to change it, I can knock it out. I smeared some cooking oil inside the tunnel and this should allow a release if necessary, but be snug enough. I turned it on and followed the binding instructions and it works.

Thanks for the wiring help, coriolan!!
Old Oct 21, 2011, 05:47 PM
ELECTRIC R/C
INNERKIP,ONTARIO,CANADA
Joined Feb 2006
352 Posts
Help! FrSky DIY JR 6102

Ya....Thats the ticket.
This is the best way to reuse a older XP6102 with a 2.4 Ghz DIY board.
I have 2 JR 6102's and a FrSky TX board will bring them up to par. The HK DIY kits are great for keeping costs down on 2.4 RX and TX units. The new Telemetry modules are cool and also not a bad price. The only problem with this system is being "OUT OF STOCK" !!!!!!!!!!
What 2.4 module to put in was a big question, JR, FrSky, FlySky, or Corona, as to what one was best or cost effective. The thought of just getting a TH9X v2 (w/HK software upgrade) was there too, but "OOS".
The use of ARDUINO MPU's with Telemetry systems looks cool too. This may include STM8 and STM32 MPU's as well as they have better LCD display intagration. I am using a STM8S with USB to reprogram a FS GT3B so the EXPO works right, and to expand the TRIM points.
I like the idea of a 72 Mhz and 2.4 Ghz switchable radio.
I will try to take some macro pics, and post them, when I do the mods.
Thanks for all the good info, and keep up the good work.......
Jsutherland8 is offline Find More Posts by Jsutherland8
Old Oct 21, 2011, 07:12 PM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, QC, Quebec City
Joined Sep 2006
5,892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsutherland8 View Post
Ya....Thats the ticket.
I have 2 JR 6102's and a FrSky TX board will bring them up to par. The HK DIY kits are great for keeping costs down on 2.4 RX and TX units. The new Telemetry modules are cool and also not a bad price. The only problem with this system is being "OUT OF STOCK" !!!!!!!!!!
What 2.4 module to put in was a big question, JR, FrSky, FlySky, or Corona, as to what one was best or cost effective. The thought of just getting a TH9X v2 (w/HK software upgrade) was there too, but "OOS".
The use of ARDUINO MPU's with Telemetry systems looks cool too. This may include STM8 and STM32 MPU's as well as they have better LCD display intagration. I am using a STM8S with USB to reprogram a FS GT3B so the EXPO works right, and to expand the TRIM points.
Don't forget the excellent FlyDream system(also from China but with a US distributor). I use one for micro stuff because of their 1 gram Rx but they also have full size 4,6 and 8 channels with Failsafe:

http://www.rc-modules.com/page1.php
http://www.rcmodelreviews.com/flydreamv3review.shtml
Their DIY module is very easy to instal in any Tx with ppm or trough the trainer socket like I did for mine:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1441235
coriolan is offline Find More Posts by coriolan
Last edited by coriolan; Jun 28, 2012 at 10:23 AM.
Old Oct 21, 2011, 11:19 PM
Joined Aug 2003
2,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsutherland8 View Post
Ya....Thats the ticket.
You want to buy some 72 MHz Rx's? I have 6 channel, 9 channel and I even have a 72 MHz antenna and RF module. I went with the FrSky because it seemed to be popular(reliable), was available, and affordable.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 12:47 AM
ELECTRIC R/C
INNERKIP,ONTARIO,CANADA
Joined Feb 2006
352 Posts
FrSky DIY JR 6102

Well it looks like the TH9X with a FRsky DIY TX with telemetry, mod that is switchable for TX type will be on the list too.
I still plan to convert a JR 6102 to a FR sky TX, as soon as possible. Looking at the older TH9X with 2.4 module and module mounted antenna, the DIY FRsky upgrade will fit inside the case and use the 72Mhz antenna hole for the other 2.4 antenna.
Has anyone made a dual 2.4 switchable TX like this yet ?
Old Feb 13, 2012, 08:18 PM
ELECTRIC R/C
INNERKIP,ONTARIO,CANADA
Joined Feb 2006
352 Posts
FrSky DIY JR 6102

I now have 2 JR XP6102's with switchable Frsky 2.4 Ghz V8HT RF units in them. They work very well and look sharp with the Bind LED and switch just below the JR logo, PCB held in with two, black #2-56 SHC screws. I will be starting a TH9X dual 2.4 Ghz System with Telemetry and USB soon.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 08:02 AM
Nall-ified Pilot
Joined Jul 2007
21 Posts
Got mine done. Good to go.
Kruzer1 is offline Find More Posts by Kruzer1
Old Jun 28, 2012, 12:29 PM
United States, NM, Clovis
Joined Mar 2006
56 Posts
Can you tell me wich wire is what, im doing mine too.
varian is offline Find More Posts by varian
Old Nov 13, 2013, 12:12 PM
Joined Jul 2012
2 Posts
Xp6102 - upgrade f

FRsky DIY TX with telemetry and OrangeRX DSMX/DSM2 2.4GHz DIY Transmitter Module on my XP6102 radio. I didn't want to break the bank and I have been running the FRsky for a year already and I like the flexibility of flying the UMX from DSM2/DSMX by way of a switch.
three50zx is offline Find More Posts by three50zx
Last edited by three50zx; Nov 15, 2013 at 09:41 AM.