Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 25, 2013, 12:40 AM
United States, CA, Fountain Valley
Joined Jan 2011
257 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thwaitm View Post
$100 for a Devo7E and V120D02S is not bad assuming that it's in flyable condition.
Tail servos tend to fade quite quickly, cyclics can destroy gears in a crash and the tail gears die quickly without a clutch but overall I find the V120 one of the easiest to take out and fly.
There are pluses and minuses with any heli but overall most who have flown a V120 have been reasonably satisfied I think.

The Devo7E is a pretty decent entry TX and convenient to carry around, then with Deviation of course it's a multi protocol TX...
Not bad for 100.
he said that it's in good condition, but i will check it in person when i go meet him. Since i have no experience with this helicopter, is there anything that i should specifically look for?

also, what is the difference between the 120d02s and the 120d02s v2? or are they the same?

thanks
bizzy511 is offline Find More Posts by bizzy511
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 25, 2013, 01:10 AM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,717 Posts
I think everything but the RX is the same. V2 is 6 axis and V1 only 3. There is plenty of discussion about which is best

I have no experience with the 130X and I have no support for it here. You can always buy a 130X BNF and fly with a deviation 7E
thwaitm is offline Find More Posts by thwaitm
Old Apr 25, 2013, 01:24 AM
WIFE HAND LAUNCHED MY PLANES!
Joined Jun 2009
2,130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzy511 View Post
i've been reading through this, but i am currently on page 22. i still have a lot of reading to do, but i wanted to ask a quick question.

1. i've only flown blade helicopters (mcpx, mcpxBL, and have hovered a 130x 1 time). I
dont have a problem getting walkera parts because wow hobbies is very close. how would this helicopter compare to the 130x?

From Blade to Walkera ? ! ? ! ? The 120 is pretty brittle compared to 130. I have two of each

2. is it really "ULTRA durable"? most helicopters i've owned dont have a tail like this. how difficult is the maintenance?

Durability wise, it's no where near compared to 130. So be ready with your wallet if you are buying the 120.
A torque tube (TT) driven requires more repair works if you damage/crash it VS a tail motor driven CP heli.

3. I saw an ad for a local posting for the 120d02s and devo7e with some parts for $100. is this a good deal, and i'd like to get it before it is sold (if this is considered a good deal). im just worried about the range on the Tx.

im really interested in it because i can't even find a used 130x alone for that price. any other advice for me?

The V120 is a single cell heli. The 130 is a 2cell heli. Stock performance is day and night, including gyro performance. The stock V120 is OK to fly around, just don't be aggressive. Otherwise, it could get expensive, on the positive side, there is a LHS near you where you can get Walkera parts.

thank you
- Spyro
Spyro37 is offline Find More Posts by Spyro37
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Spyro37; Apr 25, 2013 at 09:31 AM.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 01:26 AM
Controls Engineer
United States, NY, Amsterdam
Joined Dec 2012
1,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyro37 View Post
- Spyro
Your're the man!
lasakro is offline Find More Posts by lasakro
Old Apr 25, 2013, 01:26 AM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
6,570 Posts
Quote:
he said that it's in good condition, but i will check it in person when i go meet him. Since i have no experience with this helicopter, is there anything that i should specifically look for?

also, what is the difference between the 120d02s and the 120d02s v2? or are they the same?

thanks
The RX numbers will be different on the V2. The older version is the 2622V-D. But in my opinion, and others. That is the better version of this heli. But many people also seem fine with the newer 6 axis version. The stock brushless motors seem to loose power and go bad as they get older. That is why it will seem like everyone is upgrading their motors as you read though this thread. But if your only learning to hover around it doesn't matter. The servos are the only other thing that go bad over time. But that is mainly the tail servo. This heli is only good for the basic flips and rolls in 3D. You might get a tick tock or two out of it if your really good with your collective management. Don't expect too much more 3d performance out of it without spending another $100 on a 2S motor and ESC + extra cash for 2S batteries. Even then, micros are not a good way to learn 3D. But they are good for learning the basics. The 130X comes stock with a 2S motor. But it's no dream machine either. It has some problems too. Between the 130X and V120, in 2013... I would just pass and get a brushless MCPX.

For $100 it's a decent deal though. If the heli is in good condition and flies. I personally would rather own anything else after my last 5 Walkera models all let me down. The V120 was the only decent one. But it just can't keep up with the way i want to fly. With some mods it almost never breaks in a crash. Servos never strip since i installed the replacement gear sets from Nine Eagles servos and over all the heli is a little tank (after some mods)... It's a good thing too, because out of all of my helicopters and advancing 3D skills. For some reason it's the only heli that i still crash almost every single time i fly it because it just cannot perform well enough under my conditions. (wind and 3D smackdown) But $100 for a heli and TX. That would be hard to pass up if i were just starting out.

I also advocate Blade if you live in the USA. For a few reasons. Their newer models are showing much more promise than Walkera for 3D helicopters. They use better gyros and generally better electronics. I like to support local economies, namely my LHS. If people don't help support their LHS, in a small town. It might not stick around very long. Since no LHS in their right mind would carry Walkera stuff. Blade is the next best thing. Also Horizon hobbies actually has a warranty, support, and someone that you can talk to on the phone. They even speak English. It's almost amazing. You do pay extra for them to provide these things though, and that level of support is not offered to customers outside the USA (or so i have been told). I suppose with wow hobbies near by you will be able to get the parts though. I forgot about that part. Don't expect much support though. Especially if you don't buy your helicopter directly from them. I've had 3 people mail me their helicopter to fix because wow hobbies wouldn't help them. I don't know why, but they were all V450 models.
IntegrityHndywrk is offline Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Last edited by IntegrityHndywrk; Apr 25, 2013 at 01:58 AM.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 01:46 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,570 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyro37 View Post
Originally Posted by bizzy511
i've been reading through this, but i am currently on page 22. i still have a lot of reading to do, but i wanted to ask a quick question.

1. i've only flown blade helicopters (mcpx, mcpxBL, and have hovered a 130x 1 time). I
dont have a problem getting walkera parts because wow hobbies is very close. how would this helicopter compare to the 130x?

From Blade to Walkera ? ! ? ! ? The 120 is pretty brittle compared to 130. I have two of each

2. is it really "ULTRA durable"? most helicopters i've owned dont have a tail like this. how difficult is the maintenance?

Durability wise, it's no where near compared to 130. So be ready with your wallet if you are buying the 120.
A torque tube (TT) driven requires more repair works if you damage/crash it VS a tail motor driven CP heli.

3. I saw an ad for a local posting for the 120d02s and devo7e with some parts for $100. is this a good deal, and i'd like to get it before it is sold (if this is considered a good deal). im just worried about the range on the Tx.

im really interested in it because i can't even find a used 130x alone for that price. any other advice for me?

The V120 is a single cell heli. The 130 is a 2cell heli. Stock performance is day and night, including gyro performance. The stock V120 is OK to fly around, just don't be aggressive. Otherwise, it could get expensive, on the positive side, the there is a LHS near you where you can get Walkera parts.

thank you
Uhh... +1?
Old Apr 25, 2013, 02:17 AM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,717 Posts
It's funny to hear the V120D02S being described as brittle after having owned a V120D02... literally you sneezed within a yard of it and you needed a new feathering shaft and washout base... probably new blades too!
thwaitm is offline Find More Posts by thwaitm
Old Apr 25, 2013, 07:34 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,132 Posts
Compared to the 4G6 and V120D02, the V120D02S is definitely much more durable. However, a series of problems could start appearing once you have had around 30 to 50 hard crashes (this is quite common if you practice 3D). If you have not repaired the V120D2S before, you could get into a lot of trouble if that heli is not in a good condition.
I haven't the 130X but I am scared about the problems that had been reported about it. This is especially when it was first released. It is either the best heli ever or the worse heli. There is very little middle ground. It seems that some people get a very bad sample now and then.

In fact, other recent releases by Blade in this size is also polarizing. This is especially with tail holding and binding. I just bought a Nano CPX a few days ago. Today, I flew my best 3D flights ever in a small basketball ground where I was able to do more or less continuous 3D. However, I have had lots of electronic problems with it, especially with tail holding. As it is, there is no way a beginner could have flown my Nano. The Nano seems to have a very bad reputation here because of unreliability whereas the 130X seems to have a good reputation. Apparently, quite a number of Nanos have been sent back to the US for repairs. This is completely against what is generally known about these two helis. But then again, there are only a couple of vendors who sells Blade helis here so it is possible that bad batches may be involved. I have also had a number of mCPX before and never really liked because of numerous issues. It was alright for sports flying and things go haywire when you start learning 3D.

I would say that Walkera helis are definitely much easier to fly for beginners. They have dumbed down their gyros to that effect. If you want to fly more advance and aggressive 3D, then Blade would be your choice. But in terms of reliability, there is no way that Blade can be considered to be much better than Walkera at the 100-130 size level.
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw
Last edited by zadaw; Apr 25, 2013 at 07:53 AM.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 08:05 AM
Joined Jan 2013
253 Posts
Quote:
It's funny to hear the V120D02S being described as brittle after having owned a V120D02... literally you sneezed within a yard of it and you needed a new feathering shaft and washout base... probably new blades too!
Bought my v120d02s a week ago. Have had some minor crashes and have repaired it twice. Now after a bad landing it cannot take off due to a broken tail. I am going to take it to a hobby shop for a third repair. The cp has cost me too much.
samho2088 is offline Find More Posts by samho2088
Old Apr 25, 2013, 08:14 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by samho2088 View Post
Bought my v120d02s a week ago. Have had some minor crashes and have repaired it twice. Now after a bad landing it cannot take off due to a broken tail. I am going to take it to a hobby shop for a third repair. The cp has cost me too much.
It would be best if you learn how to do repairs yourself. There are vendors who offer lifetime free repairs but charge you a lot for parts. There are others who charge a lot for repairs. I used a lot of free repair services for my Walkera helis in the beginning but gave up when it took too long and found that I could do a better job myself.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 08:22 AM
Joined Jan 2011
257 Posts
Thank you for all the great information. Im not a complete beginner. I can fly my mcpx and have done a few ugly flips.

My original plan was to buy a nano to practice flips and inverted, plus I have a dx6i. I see used ncpx's for around 80-100.

Then I look in a local ad and see a 120d02s+devo7e+spare parts for 100.

So now I have a tough decision to make.

How does the 120d02s compare to the mcpx? How is the flight time on the 1s?

Can anyone explain exactly what the slipper clutch mod is?

Is there a list of the important mods to do?

Please remember I am trying to keep this affordable.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 08:27 AM
Joined Jan 2011
257 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
The RX numbers will be different on the V2. The older version is the 2622V-D. But in my opinion, and others. That is the better version of this heli. But many people also seem fine with the newer 6 axis version. The stock brushless motors seem to loose power and go bad as they get older. That is why it will seem like everyone is upgrading their motors as you read though this thread. But if your only learning to hover around it doesn't matter. The servos are the only other thing that go bad over time. But that is mainly the tail servo. This heli is only good for the basic flips and rolls in 3D. You might get a tick tock or two out of it if your really good with your collective management. Don't expect too much more 3d performance out of it without spending another $100 on a 2S motor and ESC + extra cash for 2S batteries. Even then, micros are not a good way to learn 3D. But they are good for learning the basics. The 130X comes stock with a 2S motor. But it's no dream machine either. It has some problems too. Between the 130X and V120, in 2013... I would just pass and get a brushless MCPX.

For $100 it's a decent deal though. If the heli is in good condition and flies. I personally would rather own anything else after my last 5 Walkera models all let me down. The V120 was the only decent one. But it just can't keep up with the way i want to fly. With some mods it almost never breaks in a crash. Servos never strip since i installed the replacement gear sets from Nine Eagles servos and over all the heli is a little tank (after some mods)... It's a good thing too, because out of all of my helicopters and advancing 3D skills. For some reason it's the only heli that i still crash almost every single time i fly it because it just cannot perform well enough under my conditions. (wind and 3D smackdown) But $100 for a heli and TX. That would be hard to pass up if i were just starting out.

I also advocate Blade if you live in the USA. For a few reasons. Their newer models are showing much more promise than Walkera for 3D helicopters. They use better gyros and generally better electronics. I like to support local economies, namely my LHS. If people don't help support their LHS, in a small town. It might not stick around very long. Since no LHS in their right mind would carry Walkera stuff. Blade is the next best thing. Also Horizon hobbies actually has a warranty, support, and someone that you can talk to on the phone. They even speak English. It's almost amazing. You do pay extra for them to provide these things though, and that level of support is not offered to customers outside the USA (or so i have been told). I suppose with wow hobbies near by you will be able to get the parts though. I forgot about that part. Don't expect much support though. Especially if you don't buy your helicopter directly from them. I've had 3 people mail me their helicopter to fix because wow hobbies wouldn't help them. I don't know why, but they were all V450 models.
Thank you for taking the time to get into detail. I really appreciate it. Are the nine eagle parts a direct fit, or do they require modding to work?

I do agree about HH service. They are easy to deal with, but I'm currently looking for something to practice with besides my mcpx.

I know I don't have the best collective management, but the mcpx has tail blow out.

I wouldn't mind getting another blade heli, but my budget is tight.

I can either get a Ncpx, which I've heard is pretty durable, great size for indoor, and my main goal is to learn smoother, tighter flips and inverted flying.

What would you recommend?
Old Apr 25, 2013, 09:30 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,570 Posts
Quote:
+1 on this. The D02 has the same rotor and washout base as the D05. I had the very same issue. Weak shafts, broken foam blades, and washout bases exploding in the air. The D02S is definitely a marked improvement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samho2088 View Post
I have to agree with Zadaw. If your going to be part of this hobby. A major part is learning how to fix, maintain and setup these helis. The V120D02 is actually simple as hell to work on and setup. Even though it might seem like a pain. But a hobby shop is probably going to charge you a arm and a leg. You can't keep up like that. It won't work out over the long haul. Especially flying micros. Like i said previously. For whatever the reason. My V120 size helis are the only ones i consistently crash every time i fly them. So i would be back at the LHS every day if i relied on them to fix the thing. But if you learn yourself you can also learn some easy mods to reduce damage and implement them. It will save you a bunch of money over the long run. There are plenty of people right here that are willing to answer your questions about the how, what and why things work on the heli.

Quote:
Thank you for all the great information. Im not a complete beginner. I can fly my mcpx and have done a few ugly flips.

My original plan was to buy a nano to practice flips and inverted, plus I have a dx6i. I see used ncpx's for around 80-100.

Can anyone explain exactly what the slipper clutch mod is?

Is there a list of the important mods to do?

Do you have the brushless MCPX or the original? The original MCPX is kind of a flying pain in the ass too. With a lot of the problems Zadaw mentioned above. Pitch links getting lost and tail blow outs mainly. The V120 is better than the original MCPX for sure.

There was not a specific list of mods and info for the V120D02S. So i started one in my blog. It's not exactly complete but it should get you started on some ideas.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...7#post21916821

The slipper clutch is simply a device for the tail that will allow the tail rotor to slip free of the gears in case it meets an impact (crash, tail slap on the ground, leaf through the tail rotor) It will prevent you from having to replace the brittle walkera tail gears. The 130X has a better tail gear system with more durable tail gears. But they still strip out. They now offer metal gears for the tail which have apparently helped fix some of the tail issues. But over all the 130X tail is a problematic thing with bad bearings and vibes. A lot of people are looking around and hoping someone releases a 130X slipper clutch. But the best i have seen so far is lasakro's "Hybrid tail" with slipper clutch. It uses the V120 tail parts to accomplish the slipper clutch install.

Quote:
Thank you for taking the time to get into detail. I really appreciate it. Are the nine eagle parts a direct fit, or do they require modding to work?

I do agree about HH service. They are easy to deal with, but I'm currently looking for something to practice with besides my mcpx.

I know I don't have the best collective management, but the mcpx has tail blow out.

I wouldn't mind getting another blade heli, but my budget is tight.

I can either get a Ncpx, which I've heard is pretty durable, great size for indoor, and my main goal is to learn smoother, tighter flips and inverted flying.

What would you recommend?

Like i said for $100 that is a great deal. You can hack the Devo 7e with "hack" firmware called deviation and it will allow you to use DSM2 and DSMX. So you will also be able to fly Blade helicopters or any other heli that uses those two industry standard TX protocols. I would grab it just because it's only $100. You won't get quite as much performance out of a nano. The v120 will feel big and powerful in comparison. You will be able to do basic 3D flips and rolls with the V120d02S for sure. Assuming the heli is in good condition, the motor and RX are working properly and everything is right. It's in things like tick tocks and harder pitch shifting maneuvers like tumbling (continuous flipping) where the 1S motor on the V120D02S will begin to bog out rather quickly. But you can't go wrong for only $100.

If money is tight and you really want another heli. That is a good deal. If you can be patient, already know how to fly and have a field you can fly at. I personally recommend getting a 450 to really train 3D on. But do avoid the Walkera helicopters above these 100 and 120 sizes. They have a great many more electronic issues then the micros. If your interested i do have a V450D01 with all upgraded electronics i will be selling with a old beat up 2801-pro TX.

I have not gotten all my helicopters together yet. I am planning on trying to move up to a 700 class heli. So i plan on fixing up and selling my V120D02S, my custom V120D05CS08 (belt drive v120), My custom V200D03, my 4f200, and of course one of my two V450D01s. I'm keeping the one with BeastX gyro installed. It's a excellent heli and my only 100% upgrade success story with a Walkera model. But the V450 stock electronics issues can be absolutely insurmountable. Whenever i see someone buy one i have to fight back the urge to ask them to PM me when it catches fire or falls out of the sky. Not because i'm being a smart ass. Because i really want to know how long it takes.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 10:11 AM
WIFE HAND LAUNCHED MY PLANES!
Joined Jun 2009
2,130 Posts
Quote:

Besides the two V120, two 130X, I also have two mCPX.

Both my mCPX are brushless, and one of them can do 3D really well with no bogging at all. Both can do 3D with no worries of tail wash-out due to the extended boom and larger tail motor.
The motor is same as this: http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-WL...4-p-60150.html
And you will have to use this holder (larger diameter), and CA it to the mCPX boom, since it is designed for square boom: http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-WL...0-p-60157.html
Also, consider these:
- http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-WL...1-p-62137.html
- Some parts may be compatible: http://www.banggood.com/buy/V922.html

Your goal is learning inverted as you mentioned.
Here is an idea, how well they do on inverted, #1 as the best, and with "CONS"
1. 130X - Others are scared to get one due to reported bad experience. CALL HH if you have to, they will take care of you. Stability wise , it's top notch among all 4. Most durable on crashes, so it's a great learning tool. 4.5min of mild continuous 3D
2. V120 - This can bog down on you, and the gyro may not hold during fast inverted flight, and or the stock motor bogs on you (luck of collective skills), then, you will keep buying parts. You will spend more time on the bench than on the field. The stock V120 flies really well on stationary or slow inverted flights. Avoid practicing tricks when it's windy.
3. mCPX - needs better skill
4. NanoCPX - too squirly

You mentioned that you are trying to keep this affordable. If you have one, sim will save you lots of money learning inverteds before you do it on RC. You will have to fly the 600 or larger size heli on the sim. It flies more realistic. Within 4-5 hrs of inverted practice, everything will follow through. I used the T-Rex 700 on Phoenix sim. For every 30min of inverted, make sure you fly 5min upright, otherwise, you may have trouble flying normal, and end up crashing your helicopter.
Spyro37 is offline Find More Posts by Spyro37
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Spyro37; Apr 25, 2013 at 10:43 AM.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 10:22 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,132 Posts
Just to add to what Spyro said. If you replace stock mCPX parts with parts from the V922 / FBL 100, you will have a more durable heli that is more precise because there is less slop around. I would recommend replacing the swash plate and the whole head assembly (head, blade grips, blade grips bearings, feathering shaft, and links). The stock V922 main motor is also more powerful but I am not sure whether the mCPX board can drive it.