HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Mar 14, 2013, 05:24 PM
IHW Heli Division
IntegrityHndywrk's Avatar
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
6,623 Posts
V120D02S-XTR (V1) - Windy 3D at the park #1 - 03-13-13 (4 min 39 sec)


V120D02S-XTR (V1) - Windy 3D at the park #2 - 03-13-13 (3 min 48 sec)



With these blades, the heli performs better in the wind than the KDBB blades. Those seem to set the gyro off into an oscillation or "wobble". I have the cyclic extension and gyro both higher than with the KDBB blades. But they seem to perform in a comparable manner. I don't know if the colored bullet blades will be any different. But those are next. I'm also hoping that the yellow bullet blades don't shatter on concrete like the KDBB blade did. These black bullet blades are similar to the composition of the D02S stock blades.
IntegrityHndywrk is offline Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 14, 2013, 07:09 PM
V120D02S, GCP
LarsDennert's Avatar
United States, CA, Pasadena
Joined Feb 2012
142 Posts
LOL you look like a drunken sailor flying in that wind. I don't bother doing that. Of course my regular flying in calm winds looks like this already.

I have some CF/foam blades from Helipal (I think) I need to put some air time on to see how they perform. Half the time I have a camera onboard which makes it a bit heavy to try stuff.
LarsDennert is offline Find More Posts by LarsDennert
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2013, 08:15 PM
IHW Heli Division
IntegrityHndywrk's Avatar
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
6,623 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsDennert View Post
LOL you look like a drunken sailor flying in that wind. I don't bother doing that. Of course my regular flying in calm winds looks like this already.

I have some CF/foam blades from Helipal (I think) I need to put some air time on to see how they perform. Half the time I have a camera onboard which makes it a bit heavy to try stuff.
Yeah, the wind has been real shifty lately and the heli gets blown around plenty. But over all it remains stable and doesn't nose up or down too much. So it's possible and even moderately safe to fly in the winds. But you'll need some extra open space
IntegrityHndywrk is offline Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2013, 09:01 PM
Registered User
Joined Jun 2011
565 Posts
hi all,
any of you upgraded your d02s to gov? if so, any link or website you can refer to? all my d02s do bob up n down and lack of power when trying to recover from a few flips....so really can't do any 3ds with them...
eugenechong is offline Find More Posts by eugenechong
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2013, 06:41 AM
Registered User
Australia, VIC, Werribee
Joined Jan 2013
58 Posts
Hi all,

Just picked up a new V120D02S and I am a bit concerned that I need to fix a few things up before I fly it.
Already tightened a LOT of lose screws.

To me the servo arms are way off 90 deg as shown in the attached photo taken at mid stick with Adj switch on.

Can someone confirm this for me and if possible point me to a good video on how to get the servo's to 90 deg please ?

Thanks, I am a noob at mechanical stuff but trying to learn.

Neil
HelloNello is offline Find More Posts by HelloNello
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2013, 07:20 AM
Heli Crash Survivor
Crash Survivor's Avatar
United States, AR, North Little Rock
Joined Feb 2011
1,041 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloNello View Post
Hi all,

Just picked up a new V120D02S and I am a bit concerned that I need to fix a few things up before I fly it.
Already tightened a LOT of lose screws.

To me the servo arms are way off 90 deg as shown in the attached photo taken at mid stick with Adj switch on.

Can someone confirm this for me and if possible point me to a good video on how to get the servo's to 90 deg please ?

Thanks, I am a noob at mechanical stuff but trying to learn.

Neil
If the swash is close to midway between rotor head & locking collar that should be good enough & fold main blades back so tips almost touch & if blades are even you should be good to go.
Crash Survivor is online now Find More Posts by Crash Survivor
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2013, 10:25 AM
IHW Heli Division
IntegrityHndywrk's Avatar
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
6,623 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash Survivor View Post
If the swash is close to midway between rotor head & locking collar that should be good enough & fold main blades back so tips almost touch & if blades are even you should be good to go.
+1, Don't waste too much time trying to 90 the servo arms. It's mainly important to not have binding at the extremes or servo interactions that will limit the cyclic throw at the extremes.

Otherwise to get the servo horns to 90° perfectly you would have to remove the servo horns. Then on your TX go to the "monitor" menu that shows all of your TX inputs & outputs. Move the collective stick directly to center or the "neutral" position. Then you would install the servo horns as close to 90° as possible. Then to get it perfect you could use subtrims to get them where you'd like. But personally i have never spent all that time doing that with this heli. I don't even really "level the swash". I just get it close and if i notice the heli pulling one way or the other i adjust a swash link to compensate till it's how i like. I basically just get it close as possible.






I've been enjoying flying this heli a lot lately. It's been windy too and it's been doing okay. But my Turnigy packs have all just hit about 20 flights. They are still going good but i can tell they are dropping out sooner now. I suppose they still have a little while longer. But they sure don't last as many cycles as the stock batteries. Still worth it if your sporting a upgrade motor though. I think. Could get expensive if the V120 is the only thing you fly though. I could probably put 20 cycles on a battery in just a few weeks when it was my only main CP heli.

V120D02S-XTR (v1) - 3D Flight #1 - 03-15-13 (5 min 22 sec)


V120D02S-XTR (v1) - Ripping 3D - 03-16-13 (7 min 17 sec)



But if you ask me. It's boring compared to flying my X5 and you can see the x5 better in videos. But i think Zadaw hit the nail on the head. It's not that the V120 flies better in the wind. It does handle decent winds. The X5 flies really well in the wind too. But it's lots scarier to crash so i usually feel better flying the V120 on really windy days.

Spring is coming. Shouldn't be too much longer. I feel sorry for you guys stuck in snow and freezing cold still
IntegrityHndywrk is offline Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2013, 11:18 AM
Registered User
Joined Oct 2012
799 Posts
V120D02S v2 as trainer heli?

I already have a Skyartec Wasp Nano CP which I use as a trainer. I am however considering getting the V120D02S v2 with its 6 axis stabilization, as an upgrade trainer. I am attracted by its BL motor and it seems very stable in the flying videos I have seen. It also seems to have a good crash survival. Any recommendations?
Lentar is offline Find More Posts by Lentar
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2013, 11:37 AM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2013
88 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lentar View Post
I already have a Skyartec Wasp Nano CP which I use as a trainer. I am however considering getting the V120D02S v2 with its 6 axis stabilization, as an upgrade trainer. I am attracted by its BL motor and it seems very stable in the flying videos I have seen. It also seems to have a good crash survival. Any recommendations?
Yes it is very stable and durable as you may have seen in the videos. Just add a slipper clutch to make the tail bulletpoof and keep some replacement gears for the cyclic servos and you're good to go. I've been flying it for a month now. Still haven't used any spare part .
Also if possible get a Devo 8s or 10 with the heli. You can flash it with the deviation firmware and it can bind to a lot of other receivers. They are worth every penny.
kartiksriramk is offline Find More Posts by kartiksriramk
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2013, 12:02 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,135 Posts
Just want to add that Deviation project now supports the Skyartec protocol. However, you may need to add a bit of hardware onto the transmitter. Skyractec actually provided samples of its Tx and Rx to the lead developer of Deviation, as well as engineering help.
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2013, 12:38 PM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2013
88 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zadaw View Post
Just want to add that Deviation project now supports the Skyartec protocol. However, you may need to add a bit of hardware onto the transmitter. Skyractec actually provided samples of its Tx and Rx to the lead developer of Deviation, as well as engineering help.
Wow Skyartec's generosity amazes me. Deviation will reduce the sales of their Nasa 701 TXs. Or perhaps they think that more BNFs will be sold as a consequence of deviation. Who knows.
kartiksriramk is offline Find More Posts by kartiksriramk
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2013, 12:58 PM
Registered User
Joined Oct 2012
799 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kartiksriramk View Post
Just add a slipper clutch to make the tail bulletpoof
What exactly is this, and where do I get it from?



Quote:
Originally Posted by kartiksriramk View Post
Also if possible get a Devo 8s or 10 with the heli. You can flash it with the deviation firmware and it can bind to a lot of other receivers. They are worth every penny.
Devo8S or 10 are worth every penny or the heli? I was actually planning on getting it with the Devo 7
Lentar is offline Find More Posts by Lentar
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2013, 02:20 PM
Deviant
sbstnp's Avatar
Joined Jul 2012
1,141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lentar View Post
I was actually planning on getting it with the Devo 7
Don't get the 7 it's the devil.


10 is you don't want to spend a lot, 8S if you have the money. Both can do the following protocols:

Devo
WK2801/WK2601/WK2401
DSM2
DSMX
# FlySky
# Hubsan
#* Skyartec
#* FrSky two way
Nine Eagles J6

*) in the nightlies, will be in soon to be released 3.0
#) requires simple hardware mod (installing a module, how to can be found in the documentation)

If that's not worth it then I have no idea what is
sbstnp is offline Find More Posts by sbstnp
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2013, 02:22 PM
Heli Crash Survivor
Crash Survivor's Avatar
United States, AR, North Little Rock
Joined Feb 2011
1,041 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lentar View Post
What exactly is this, and where do I get it from?





Devo8S or 10 are worth every penny or the heli? I was actually planning on getting it with the Devo 7
Bob has the slipper clutch email him at slipperclutch@mi.rr.com.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1577528

Programming your TX with ease get the 8S & 10 is user friendly also but the 7 is not well liked.
Crash Survivor is online now Find More Posts by Crash Survivor
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2013, 03:37 PM
Registered User
Schiksie's Avatar
The Netherlands, GE, Weurt
Joined Sep 2012
374 Posts
Put the carbon frame in yesterday and extreme tail, looks pretty nice i think :-)

It feels a little bit more heavy but also more stable with these parts.



Schiksie is offline Find More Posts by Schiksie
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion new heli from walkera HIKO400? xyzy2 Micro Helis 15 Jan 12, 2012 11:16 AM
Sold Align 70A ESC W/BEC from 500/550 class Heli NEW! HD Hucker Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 3 Oct 13, 2011 12:37 PM
Discussion Ultra Durable Diamond Mini Gyro 3 Channel Indoor Ready to Fly RC Remote Control Heli LittleG Coaxial Helicopters 32 Jan 14, 2011 12:55 PM
Discussion Walker 4#3 throttle problem – new heli Ronon Micro Helis 2 Jan 24, 2009 04:22 PM