SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 15, 2013, 06:31 PM
United States, ND, Bismarck
Joined Mar 2012
299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfa View Post
Touche- The servo mods worked great. Ran into a tree and no damage. I was testing the 130 yellow blades and it being windy they were most unstable. I lost control and before I could set it down it popped into a tree, knocking the canopy off. My canopy is so tapped up, nothng happened. Next I put the carbon fiber bldes back on. This gave me a stable flight and cut intot the wind 10-15 mph. Whoops, started to get to far and set it down pretty hard. The heli did a nice tumble, and the servo motor popped out alittle but no strip gear. I am having luck with the paper clip but I am worried it should have sheared. The paper clip held in flight. As always the the slipper clutch worked great. Heck with changing gears! Lastly the yellow blades are hard for me to control, it was windy so ran the carbon fiber. This heli is pretty tough for my level of flying (no 3d) . In my 1 month of learning I have had to rebuild my tail, and also do the feathering shaft and main shaft. Feel pretty good about this heli. Maybe buy another soon so I can rotate between crashes. For the price, this heli is hard to beat. (IMO).
Yes the the yellow (or other colors) 130x bullet blades are much better than the non bullets on the V120. Much more stable in wind and FFF, and they still have the fast flip rates of the non bullets.
flint723 is offline Find More Posts by flint723
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 15, 2013, 06:32 PM
Joined Oct 2010
1,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by microrcfiend View Post
Jesus, an entire rebuild just to change the cone gear, tail support and head piece with supports and now the blade grips are loctited so heavy the screws are just mushing.

I have bought nearly every piece on this heli twice now including the rx and yet there is more junk uncovered with every piece of maintenance.

If I didn't have £170 quid in the hole i'd dump this utter piece of junk. How can I ever fly it with enjoyment knowing I have to deal with this after even the lightest of crashes on the skids on grass? Or is that it once you have finally replaced and rebuilt every part, it works then.

So I cut my losses and sell the lot or buy more bearings to go with the plethora of parts I already have but no bearings and wait yet again, plus Chinese holidays... I couldn't be enjoying this heli any less

At this rate I feel like buying a suitcase of minicps and having done with it.
You should practice more with a simulator....once you get to the point where you don't crash much. You will find that you won't crash as much in real life either. Also, you will know how to react better as far as when you DO crash (barring mechanical troubles of course)
pmerritt is offline Find More Posts by pmerritt
Old Feb 15, 2013, 07:55 PM
United Kingdom, England, Sheffield
Joined Jun 2012
1,615 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmerritt View Post
You should practice more with a simulator....once you get to the point where you don't crash much. You will find that you won't crash as much in real life either. Also, you will know how to react better as far as when you DO crash (barring mechanical troubles of course)
Yeah really?, because that's all I have been doing these days.

The hard landing was getting used to the heli in the first minute and was on the skids. I have seen 50+ crashes other people have had with this heli with no damage, many without the clutch too. I expected a rough landing on skids over grass to not cripple the heli in multiple ways and yes I was a fool to assume to could just take it apart and rebuild it.

I don't see how the sim would have helped with my frustrations here such as the super glued pin in main gear, weak ass hollow skids, frail supports on the head, irremovable screws from the main rotor head and last but not least the faulty rx.

Yup, better go an practice on the sim, that will help Walkera stop releasing turds

Anyway, I took a stanley to the blade grips and hacked them apart to save the bearings and finally assembled the head and put the heli back together. Way too tired too mess with it now but at least it's mechanically ok now I have rebuilt every bit.
microrcfiend is offline Find More Posts by microrcfiend
Old Feb 15, 2013, 09:25 PM
Joined Jan 2013
31 Posts
Thank you for the info. Very good to know. Definitely sounds like something I'm going to have to get in the near future. Does the servo saver mod I've been reading about help to not strip gears?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasakro View Post
Most the time your tail blades touch something you will strip tail gears. This clutch allows the shaft to slip from the drive, with adjustable resistance, saving tail gears. I don't see it as a mod but a requirement. I've got it on both of mine.
quizza is offline Find More Posts by quizza
Old Feb 15, 2013, 09:30 PM
Controls Engineer
United States, NY, Amsterdam
Joined Dec 2012
1,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quizza View Post
Thank you for the info. Very good to know. Definitely sounds like something I'm going to have to get in the near future. Does the servo saver mod I've been reading about help to not strip gears?
Yes it does.
lasakro is offline Find More Posts by lasakro
Old Feb 15, 2013, 09:33 PM
Joined Jan 2013
31 Posts
Looks like that's going to be the first thing I do when it comes in. Have to wait till Wednesday though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasakro View Post
Yes it does.
quizza is offline Find More Posts by quizza
Old Feb 16, 2013, 07:51 AM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,526 Posts
Now the Walkera is unloading the V120D02S to Hobby King I wonder what their replace for this size is going to be.. And if it'as going to come with the slipper clutch now..
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Old Feb 16, 2013, 02:26 PM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
7,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by livonia bob View Post
Now the Walkera is unloading the V120D02S to Hobby King I wonder what their replace for this size is going to be.. And if it'as going to come with the slipper clutch now..
I am confused by your comment, but find myself deeply interested. Can you elaborate a little? Or did i miss something?
IntegrityHndywrk is online now Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Old Feb 16, 2013, 05:24 PM
Heli collector
Joined Apr 2009
16,526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
I am confused by your comment, but find myself deeply interested. Can you elaborate a little? Or did i miss something?

Back in the "good old days?" Of the 4#6 and 4G6 Walkera dumped their stock on Hobby King who then sold them so cheap that even some of the Walkera dealers where buying as many as they could as they where cheaper than they could buy them from Walkera. Shortly after this the V120D** came out.

So my thinking is that Walkera is either way over stocked or ready to come out with the new **********.

I'm guessing a 120/130 size with a 2S battery to keep up with the 130X from Blade.

The V120D*** is getting long in the tooth ( like me) and time for a replacement.

They have had a long enough time to see that a TT tail needs a slipper clutch, and that a belt drive or DD drive will not make us happy flight wise. So I would think they will have one, or they are even dumber than has been reported.

Sad that a lot of people will get one of the RTF ones with the Devil 7 TX and have a bad Walkera experience.

Add in that I have enough parts to make up a lot of kits yet on hand with my luck it's going to have a clutch,, so I hope I can unload most of them to the HK buyers.
Last edited by livonia bob; Feb 16, 2013 at 05:33 PM. Reason: More to say
Old Feb 16, 2013, 06:37 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by livonia bob View Post
Back in the "good old days?" Of the 4#6 and 4G6 Walkera dumped their stock on Hobby King who then sold them so cheap that even some of the Walkera dealers where buying as many as they could as they where cheaper than they could buy them from Walkera. Shortly after this the V120D** came out.

So my thinking is that Walkera is either way over stocked or ready to come out with the new **********.

I'm guessing a 120/130 size with a 2S battery to keep up with the 130X from Blade.

The V120D*** is getting long in the tooth ( like me) and time for a replacement.

They have had a long enough time to see that a TT tail needs a slipper clutch, and that a belt drive or DD drive will not make us happy flight wise. So I would think they will have one, or they are even dumber than has been reported.

Sad that a lot of people will get one of the RTF ones with the Devil 7 TX and have a bad Walkera experience.

Add in that I have enough parts to make up a lot of kits yet on hand with my luck it's going to have a clutch,, so I hope I can unload most of them to the HK buyers.
The second part of the story was that other Internet vendors got furious and made vitriolic complaints to Walkera. As a result, HobbyKing became the first vendor who was reported to be cut off by Walkera. HK then went on to sell Nine Eagles stuff that did not do well. The situation seems to be that HK is not allowed to sell the V120D02S at a knockdown price. But we will see whether it changes in the future.

A new model is overdue. My guess is that it could be 150 sized with brushed main and tail motors. That would be in keeping with their new naming system i.e. Genius, Mini, Super and Master CP.
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw
Old Feb 16, 2013, 06:59 PM
Heli collector
Joined Apr 2009
16,526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zadaw View Post
The second part of the story was that other Internet vendors got furious and made vitriolic complaints to Walkera. As a result, HobbyKing became the first vendor who was reported to be cut off by Walkera. HK then went on to sell Nine Eagles stuff that did not do well. The situation seems to be that HK is not allowed to sell the V120D02S at a knockdown price. But we will see whether it changes in the future.

A new model is overdue. My guess is that it could be 150 sized with brushed main and tail motors. That would be in keeping with their new naming system i.e. Genius, Mini, Super and Master CP.

My guess is that they will have to keep the price up until the venders get their stock unloaded first, and have the new model on it's way to them.

Your idea's for the new heli will save me some money for sure.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 03:36 AM
Mike
Joined Dec 2010
749 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miketre View Post
- On the 6 axis, there was hardly any tail drift in the inverted reverse flight, but during the back flip from reverse to upright, the tail tend to blow out to the left.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
My "Walkera sickness", which stems from my past experiances, has prevented me from even trying reverse flight most of the time. Too worried about tail failure. But it would be nice to think WK is working on the issue and has maybe tightened up the tail some for reverse.

Are you able to shoot video?
Here's the video. I didn't get much footage as the head mounted camera was pointing too low.
In this video, you can see that the tail held its heading during the reverse inverted flight. During the tight inverted to upright back flip, it is still no good, and requires me to input right rudder.

Walkera V120D02s gyro problem (0 min 39 sec)
miketre is offline Find More Posts by miketre
Old Feb 17, 2013, 06:08 AM
Joined Jan 2013
253 Posts
Is the New V120D02S good for CP beginners?
samho2088 is offline Find More Posts by samho2088
Old Feb 17, 2013, 07:49 AM
Live to learn. . .
Austin, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by samho2088 View Post
Is the New V120D02S good for CP beginners?
I would say that it is, but others won't agree. Here's a review I wrote 7 months ago: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1689848
There have been some productions inconsistencies reported, and some people didn't like how it flew, but I've had a great time with mine. My friend, Travis MCH, bought a 6 axis rx and mounted it to an earlier model and didn't like how it flew as compared to his 3 axis rx, for example.

Some might tell you to go to a larger model right away, since there is inherently more stability. I think that the 120 size is good because you can fly it almost anywhere, and it's much less intimidating.

Some might tell you to go to a 130X or something Spektrum right away, as Walkera's proprietary protocol used to be exclusive. Now with the Devention f/w, people are running multiple protocols from their Walkera transmitters. If you were to go to your local flying field, most of the guys probably aren't flying Walkera. I'm definitely the odd man out at our field, but I've been flying a 450 and a 600 with my Devo 8S for a while (still on factory f/w and receivers and such), and I've even used the trainer function, as I have two 8Ss. People used to scoff, or at least give me a funny look, now they come over and play with the touch screen and comment on how smooth the gimbals are.

Some might tell you that the added stability of the 6-axis will hinder your flying later, or at least teach you bad habits, and I'm not sure I agree with that either.

Some might tell you to go with the current fad, which is the Nano CP. While they are very capable, the one I flew seemed a bit floaty to me because it's so small. The V120 feels more like a larger model--it seems to have more 'presence' in the air.

I also like that the V120 has a driven tail and many features of larger models, so in a 'tiny' way, it would at least get your feet wet to how some larger models are setup.

People have compared this model to the 130X. Seems like the consensus is that the 130X is ultimately a better flyer with the smack 3D, but also seems to be hit and miss about vibrations and tail issues. Some of the guys at the field fly these, and while they have fun with them, they are usually talking about these issues.

So yes, I think that the V120 is a good way to go, and that the added stability of the 6 axis would be good for a beginner CP pilot on into learning inverted flips and orientations, which is where I'm at now.

There are certain mods to consider, such as the servo saver mod and the slipper clutch. Lots of info in this thread about all that.

Have fun,

Rafa
Rafa's CB100 is offline Find More Posts by Rafa's CB100
Old Feb 17, 2013, 08:11 AM
Live to learn. . .
Austin, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,489 Posts
2s!

Hey Y'all,

I wanted to give an update on this 2S situation. First, here's a vid from yesterday:
2S V120D02S governed head speeds (2 min 14 sec)

The head speeds are like 4100, 4350, and 4600 rpms, if I remember right. I didn't have 3 head speeds until yesterday, so I've learned stuff about throttle endpoints on the CC10 controller with this rx. Like I've said before, I use Castle controllers on my 450 and 600, and liked the idea of similar setup on the 120. I'm familiar with the throttle endpoint setup for this esc, but I wasn't able to perform it on the 120. No matter where the throttle stick was, the esc would arm upon startup. After talking to Craig at Castle Creations, who was very helpful and talked to me for 15 minutes or so, I learned that the rx is setup to supply zero throttle until it sees zero from the throttle stick. It's the tx that arms, not the rx so much. I had a similar issue with an aftermarket esc in my 4F200 years ago. What I had to do was temporarily separate the rx and esc power supplies so I could bind the tx/rx, then power the esc once the tx was giving a true throttle signal.

I did this by removing the signal pin from my original esc, and plugging it into the elevator port. From there, I powered the tx/rx normally. I then removed the wire that used to supply power from esc to the rx, then plugged the esc in. I was able to set throttle endpoints, which requires the esc to see 100% throttle BEFORE it sees 0%.

Even still, I couldn't get the 3 headspeeds to work. What I learned confirms what Zadaw has been saying for a while, I think, which is that the 6 axis rx doesn't really give 100% throttle to the esc. For the highest head speed, the csc needs to see 100% throttle, and the only way I could achieve this was to stretch out the upper end of the travel adjust until I heard the head speed ramp up.

I also found out that my gyro setting in throttle hold was set to 50%, so that's why it flips around at the end of the vid.

Anyway, after around 10 flights on 2S, and 3 yesterday with high head speeds, I'm still really jazzed about it all.

Rafa
Rafa's CB100 is offline Find More Posts by Rafa's CB100
Last edited by Rafa's CB100; Feb 17, 2013 at 08:51 AM.