HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 13, 2013, 07:02 AM
Mike
Joined Dec 2010
750 Posts
I did some testing today after work. I flew 2 packs each on the 3 axis 120 and the new 6 axis 120.

I did the following.
- From a tail in orientation, I do a forward flip to inverted and move fly the heli quickly away from me (fast inverted reverse flight).
- Once it is 20m away, I do a back flip and fly the heli back (upright reverse flight).
I repeat these for the duration of the flight.

- On the 3 axis, the tail tends to drift to the left in the inverted reverse flight. I had to give right rudder input to counter it.
- On the 6 axis, there was hardly any tail drift in the inverted reverse flight, but during the back flip from reverse to upright, the tail tend to blow out to the left.

I need to do some more testing with the pots and gains. so far, the new v120 looks promising to be my trainer.
miketre is offline Find More Posts by miketre
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:05 AM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
6,812 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miketre View Post
I did some testing today after work. I flew 2 packs each on the 3 axis 120 and the new 6 axis 120.

I did the following.
- From a tail in orientation, I do a forward flip to inverted and move fly the heli quickly away from me (fast inverted reverse flight).
- Once it is 20m away, I do a back flip and fly the heli back (upright reverse flight).
I repeat these for the duration of the flight.

- On the 3 axis, the tail tends to drift to the left in the inverted reverse flight. I had to give right rudder input to counter it.
- On the 6 axis, there was hardly any tail drift in the inverted reverse flight, but during the back flip from reverse to upright, the tail tend to blow out to the left.

I need to do some more testing with the pots and gains. so far, the new v120 looks promising to be my trainer.
My "Walkera sickness", which stems from my past experiances, has prevented me from even trying reverse flight most of the time. Too worried about tail failure. But it would be nice to think WK is working on the issue and has maybe tightened up the tail some for reverse.

Are you able to shoot video?
IntegrityHndywrk is online now Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:08 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,139 Posts
One thing about the 6 axis version is that the heli seems to have a lower head speed and flies slower. This appears to be something to do with the transmitter.

I have been flying the Super CP and Mini CP in Subic Bay for the past 4 days. It is obvious that the Super CP have some odd behavior on flipping, although the tail generally held quite well. The Mini CP is definitely a bit better. Anyway, it only took 4 days for both helis to be made non functional. The black sand on the beach got into the motor of the Mini CP and clogged it. Whereas I dunked the Super CP in the sea this morning. The receiver board is obviously broken and perhaps the servos and motors too.

This was after a terrifying incident earlier this morning with my 11 year elder daughter who is autistic. We were swimming on the beach this morning when my daughter made a dart for the floating bar that was anchored about 100 ft from the shore. The water was actually quite deep over there but I managed to get to her. By the time I got to her, I was short of breath and she kept on trying to shake me off. I was really worried that both of us could end up being drowned. I cried for help then and a few young men came and took my daughter back to the shore. I had to rest for a bit longer before I could make it back to the shore.

This is rapidly becoming a holiday in hell for us. A couple of nights previously, the same daughter opened the fridge, drank a bottle of Mountain Dew and threw a glass bottle of beer onto the floor. My wife was awaken by the sound and she slipped and hit the back of her head. There was broken glass everywhere on the floor. We were lucky that we didn't end up in hospital that evening. We have a couple of days left of our holiday and I just want our family to survive.
zadaw is offline Find More Posts by zadaw
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:17 AM
Mike
Joined Dec 2010
750 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
Are you able to shoot video?
Sure. I'll shoot videos when I fly it on Sat.
It's worth mentioning that there was one incident on the 3 axis where the tail suddenly blew out after flipping from inverted to normal. I thought that was due to the gears. I checked it after the crash, and nope, they were fine. I chalk that one up to the gyro.

Zadaw, that is terrible! I hope you get back safely soon.
Last edited by miketre; Feb 13, 2013 at 10:26 AM.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:47 AM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,522 Posts
Quote:
Nowadays, I tend to break the bevel gears. I bought 20 of them last night since I think I'll keep my 2 V120 for a while. I will look at the slipper clutch soon.

I totally forgot about my 3 axis genius CP and my brushless mini CP until you mentioned them. You are right, they are much more durable. I will use them for my orientation training. They haven't seen much action as I have been practicing flips, and my batteries for them can't keep up with the continuous flipping. The other thing is that they are too small, and I keep losing orientation of them.

I ordered the new GCP canopy for my old GCP as it is more visible. Still hunting for a bright canopy for my mini CP.
On one of my V120D02S, I replaced the red canopy with the bright orange halloween canopy from hobbyone. It's not on their webpage anymore, and the next brightest canopy is the christmas canopy. I don't like the look though.

All of my helis are also getting bright pink stickers on the boom and tail section.
I lose orientation less often now, and as a result crash less. even my 450d03 is getting the pink stickers.

Here's how it looks like in flight. It's in 1:25 min mark of the video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...cXRmlE7U#t=85s
For the cost of 20 sets of tail gears you could of bought what a dozen of my slipper clutches.. And had 10 as spares, forever maybe..
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:02 AM
United Kingdom, England, Sheffield
Joined Jun 2012
1,493 Posts
Zadaw, sounds really rough man, iv'e been around a few autistic kids and they are more than a handful once they get above 10-12. I can only imagine the constant attention needed. Much respect and all the best for the rest of your hols

Hey bob, still have 2 of your slippers and a v120 that hasn't even flown yet, i'm sure it's a lovely clutch but perhaps his weekend will let me try.
microrcfiend is online now Find More Posts by microrcfiend
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:56 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,812 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zadaw View Post
One thing about the 6 axis version is that the heli seems to have a lower head speed and flies slower. This appears to be something to do with the transmitter.

I have been flying the Super CP and Mini CP in Subic Bay for the past 4 days. It is obvious that the Super CP have some odd behavior on flipping, although the tail generally held quite well. The Mini CP is definitely a bit better. Anyway, it only took 4 days for both helis to be made non functional. The black sand on the beach got into the motor of the Mini CP and clogged it. Whereas I dunked the Super CP in the sea this morning. The receiver board is obviously broken and perhaps the servos and motors too.

This was after a terrifying incident earlier this morning with my 11 year elder daughter who is autistic. We were swimming on the beach this morning when my daughter made a dart for the floating bar that was anchored about 100 ft from the shore. The water was actually quite deep over there but I managed to get to her. By the time I got to her, I was short of breath and she kept on trying to shake me off. I was really worried that both of us could end up being drowned. I cried for help then and a few young men came and took my daughter back to the shore. I had to rest for a bit longer before I could make it back to the shore.

This is rapidly becoming a holiday in hell for us. A couple of nights previously, the same daughter opened the fridge, drank a bottle of Mountain Dew and threw a glass bottle of beer onto the floor. My wife was awaken by the sound and she slipped and hit the back of her head. There was broken glass everywhere on the floor. We were lucky that we didn't end up in hospital that evening. We have a couple of days left of our holiday and I just want our family to survive.
Black hard sand is usually loaded with highly ferrous mineral deposits. As for the water crash. I would bet money that the Rx, servos and motor are fine but the esc and bec sorted out. with the little voltage going through these. A wash with distilled water then rinse with 99% alcohol should have everything back to "clean". It should wash away mineral deposits left behind by the water. Though getting ferrous material out of the magnets in your motor will be quite a task. it will require a very powerful and larger size neodemium magnet or a electro magnet. Used to "suck" the ferrous materials away from the weaker magnetic poles. Might have to open the motor up too. I have also ran a 3 phase motor immediately after washing it under tap water to get the dust out (ceiling fan exhaust motor). So your motor should be fine. That ESC is toast though, probably.

i'll be thinking about you and yours. I hope your wife is okay and the rest of the vacation goes smoother. I'm glad to hear some people came to you and your daughters aid. keep everyone together and safe and you'll be okay. I'm sure its easier said then done.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 06:07 PM
Mike
Joined Dec 2010
750 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by livonia bob View Post
For the cost of 20 sets of tail gears you could of bought what a dozen of my slipper clutches.. And had 10 as spares, forever maybe..
Bob, I just read your slipper clutch thread again. Last time I read it, it seems a pretty daunting task to install it. Now that I read it again, I can follow the instructions just fine. Does your kit consist of the shaft, collar and tube? I'm thinking of how many I should get.

The gear sets I bought from hobbyone are much cheaper than elsewhere. only $2.16 a piece. But I don't enjoy changing gears , so I'm still looking at your clutch.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:51 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,812 Posts
Quote:
Bob, I just read your slipper clutch thread again. Last time I read it, it seems a pretty daunting task to install it. Now that I read it again, I can follow the instructions just fine. Does your kit consist of the shaft, collar and tube? I'm thinking of how many I should get.

The gear sets I bought from hobbyone are much cheaper than elsewhere. only $2.16 a piece. But I don't enjoy changing gears , so I'm still looking at your clutch.
Just get one, It's not hard to install once you start working on it, you'll see.... Changing gears is actually more of a pain. Also there are plenty of pictures in my blog if your still intimidated: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...7#post23706629

You shouldn't need more than one clutch unless you bend or break the shaft. Which is pretty unlikely, but totally possible. So it wouldn't hurt to have a backup. Yes the shaft and everything needed is included in his kit.

Old Feb 14, 2013, 04:58 AM
Mike
Joined Dec 2010
750 Posts
Thanks IH. I'm going to get a couple of those to try.

The new V120 has appeared on HK. http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...F_Mode_2_.html
They are asking for $225 for the RTF with a Devo7.

And they just added the BNF for $179
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store..._and_Fly_.html

$179 is the same price that Hobbyone is asking for
Last edited by miketre; Feb 14, 2013 at 05:12 AM.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 07:17 AM
United States, TX, Cypress
Joined Jan 2012
399 Posts
I been following this thread since I got my V120 for Christmas. I have tried allot of the mentioned mod, but have had the most problem with the main shaft pin. What are you guys using for replacement pins that shear readily in crash? I have tried 18 g steel wire for hanging pictures, and about ?? 16g copper wire that I stripped. It will always make me crash as I start flying harder and then the pin shears and I crash. These crashes have wrecked my V120 servos and tail assemblies. I just tried a big paper clip, kinda of had to push it and twist it through, but for the first flight it has held. I may have to drill it out to get it out when it finally breaks. I am not sure if it is going to be softer then the stock pin. After shearing my servo gears for every crash, rotating and replacing the gears I finally did the servo mod, and cut the servo arms. So far so good but I have not hard crashed yet. Finally the Canopy mod to allow the two back servos to breakaway in crash protection the servo gear did not work for me. One bright spot, the Extreme landing gear, though heavier works great, as I have crashed and set it down hard and no more skid damage. I am waiting for the KBD yellow blades, I found the carbon fiber blades to darn heavy. As far as batteries I tried the Nanotech 950 nano and they were so heavy, that I could hardly lift off when using the carbon fiber blades. The 750 Nanotech and change the harness was a better match, but have had no problem and time up for 7 minutes on stock battery is fine. For clutch I have the BenMLee, works very well but I bent the shaft and had to rebuild the entire tail assembly due to bad crash. I hate his little pin which I lost and had to fashion another one. I will try Bobs next time. At first his instructions looked hard, but now I am familiar with the parts and all. Overall I like the V120, it is a challenge for me to fly sport, and I have dum-med it down. I have two Genius and I am just starting to do loops and rolls. The Genius I like allot as it is very light and crash proof. Without the wire mod skid the Genius would be a pain to have to keep replacing the frame. The V120 is not as durable but it is a mean machine, even as stock.
bobfa is offline Find More Posts by bobfa
Old Feb 14, 2013, 07:44 AM
Heli collector
Joined Apr 2009
16,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfa View Post
I been following this thread since I got my V120 for Christmas. I have tried allot of the mentioned mod, but have had the most problem with the main shaft pin. What are you guys using for replacement pins that shear readily in crash? I have tried 18 g steel wire for hanging pictures, and about ?? 16g copper wire that I stripped. It will always make me crash as I start flying harder and then the pin shears and I crash. These crashes have wrecked my V120 servos and tail assemblies. I just tried a big paper clip, kinda of had to push it and twist it through, but for the first flight it has held. I may have to drill it out to get it out when it finally breaks. I am not sure if it is going to be softer then the stock pin. After shearing my servo gears for every crash, rotating and replacing the gears I finally did the servo mod, and cut the servo arms. So far so good but I have not hard crashed yet. Finally the Canopy mod to allow the two back servos to breakaway in crash protection the servo gear did not work for me. One bright spot, the Extreme landing gear, though heavier works great, as I have crashed and set it down hard and no more skid damage. I am waiting for the KBD yellow blades, I found the carbon fiber blades to darn heavy. As far as batteries I tried the Nanotech 950 nano and they were so heavy, that I could hardly lift off when using the carbon fiber blades. The 750 Nanotech and change the harness was a better match, but have had no problem and time up for 7 minutes on stock battery is fine. For clutch I have the BenMLee, works very well but I bent the shaft and had to rebuild the entire tail assembly due to bad crash. I hate his little pin which I lost and had to fashion another one. I will try Bobs next time. At first his instructions looked hard, but now I am familiar with the parts and all. Overall I like the V120, it is a challenge for me to fly sport, and I have dum-med it down. I have two Genius and I am just starting to do loops and rolls. The Genius I like allot as it is very light and crash proof. Without the wire mod skid the Genius would be a pain to have to keep replacing the frame. The V120 is not as durable but it is a mean machine, even as stock.
I can not say that I have had any reports of the shaft bending on mine.. They might be just have not had any feed back on them.. Just the one that broke from flying with bad bearing.after 300 flights on it..

I do try and talk people into buying two sets just in case, as if you have a spare you will not need it.. And with the shipping cost is so high for the little cost of the slipper clutch it just makes sense to me to get at least two at once..
Old Feb 14, 2013, 08:55 AM
Heli collector
Joined Apr 2009
16,522 Posts
Quote:
Thanks IH. I'm going to get a couple of those to try.

The new V120 has appeared on HK. http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...F_Mode_2_.html
They are asking for $225 for the RTF with a Devo7.

And they just added the BNF for $179
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store..._and_Fly_.html

$179 is the same price that Hobbyone is asking for
I'm losing my mind?? This morning I clicked on the BNF link and there was 3 reviews on it, one about the tail drive being a problem.. So I replied that there was a slipper clutch that fixed that problem.. I just went back there to add a link to RCG and now there are no reviews at all???
Old Feb 14, 2013, 09:14 AM
Mike
Joined Dec 2010
750 Posts
I don't think you are losing your mind Bob.
Hobbyking is quite heavy handed and may delete unfavorable comments as they please.
I experienced this first hand when I posted something about them copying 3DHS. They even used the term 3DHK in the product description.
In the same hour, my comment was deleted, and the product description was changed.
I do hope HK has some nice canopies for this heli.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 02:26 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,812 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfa View Post
I use 22 awg (gauge) copper wire. paperclips will work but to ensure a sheer you need to twist the rotor and score the pin, half breaking it before you crash. I have also tried brass stock and aluminum wire. Occasionally my very heavy custom D05 will sheer the copper pin in flight. But the D02S seems to hold up.

Quote:
I can not say that I have had any reports of the shaft bending on mine.. They might be just have not had any feed back on them.. Just the one that broke from flying with bad bearing.after 300 flights on it..

I do try and talk people into buying two sets just in case, as if you have a spare you will not need it.. And with the shipping cost is so high for the little cost of the slipper clutch it just makes sense to me to get at least two at once..
+1, +1, +1. you can't go wrong with a backup plan. You almost need backups with these heli

Quote:
I'm losing my mind?? This morning I clicked on the BNF link and there was 3 reviews on it, one about the tail drive being a problem.. So I replied that there was a slipper clutch that fixed that problem.. I just went back there to add a link to RCG and now there are no reviews at all???
You should know by now... Most reviews and things are cooked and white washed. Especially on new products, recently investing in stock. I can't blame them either though. I wish they just didn't have the reviews. Not like you can trust them if they are edited and moderated by the vendor. They know exactly what will happen if people are able to tell the truth. I don't even read "in store " reviews anymore, or post them. I've had plenty of my own deleted.

In all fairness though. Some neg. reviews are blown out of proportion. Sure the v120 has a tail gear issue. Don't crash and there is no issue. Unless your like me and have tons of oak leaves falling all the time. one of those through the tail and the gears are done. But I don't think the gears are as bad as I first thought. They are if you want to call this a "learner" heli, to some degree. But I can empathize with vendors selling these and why they would edit or remove reviews.

Quote:
I don't think you are losing your mind Bob.
Hobbyking is quite heavy handed and may delete unfavorable comments as they please.
I experienced this first hand when I posted something about them copying 3DHS. They even used the term 3DHK in the product description.
In the same hour, my comment was deleted, and the product description was changed.
I do hope HK has some nice canopies for this heli.
Yeah, it even happens on here....
Last edited by IntegrityHndywrk; Feb 14, 2013 at 02:48 PM.