HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 20, 2013, 07:58 PM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
6,607 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave O View Post
Anyone have a good source for pinions for this beasts stock motor? Mine are ground to a nub.
How old is your pinion? Mine is pretty old but it's not ground that bad. You should have a hair gap between the pinion and main gear so there is not a lot of friction.

Anyway. Click the pictures for links. This metal pinion or brass pinion are the same as the stock D02S pinion.

These days everyone carries the stock size pinion because it's a 130X compatible pinion. Your looking for a 10T 0.4m pinion. You will need a pinion puller and a vice or something to press the pinion on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zadaw View Post
Somebody heard that it is definitely a liquidation sale. I can see the need to come out with a V2 130X but surely there is a no immediate need for a 300X V2?
Well, i for one would like to see the 300X in the "pro series". I would consider that a lot more than the X2, with domestic support and LHS parts supply. It would probably be as much or more expensive than a X2 though, judging by what they want for the 550.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash Survivor View Post
What did you do to get that many piro's in one after the other?
I wish i could tell you the one single thing i did to get piros like this. I think cutting my vertical tail fin and shaving all the weight on the tail that i did, helped a lot. I also am not using the tail stabilizer bars or horizontal fin anymore. So i don't really know. I did also adjust my RX so it is tilted slightly, like we talked about before in this thread.
IntegrityHndywrk is offline Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 20, 2013, 11:11 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyro37 View Post
They might be on to something ?
Dropping the 130X price and get an extra free lipo and (a must) metal A gear worth $32 total. Definitley a great deal for those who already own a Spextrum or a compatible Tx .
Here, lots of hobbyists are buying HH products, more so, since after the hacks, open source TXs, and drop-in modules for Futaba, & this module for the very popular 9Ch Turnigy Tx.
And for those that are on budget parkflyers and not so serious/casual flyers could also take advantage the cheap DSM2 Tx to fly HH's micro helis & aero BNF products.
In my area and nearby cities, HH's micro with AS3X gyro micro planes are selling like pan cakes.

They also dropped the price of 300X and plus a free extra lipo.

A new BL mCPX soon to be out.
- mCPX V1
- mCPX V2
- Nano
- BL mCPX. All released in a very short period interval.

130X has been out for quite sometime now. V2 should be out soon!
There is something very odd about this which is not in keeping with past practices of Blade. If they want to sell the new BL mCPX, the last thing they should do is to drop prices on similar products, in particular the 130X. In fact, taking the prices of the gifts in account, the 130x costs less than the BL mCPX.

There was no marketing campaign of any sort for BL mCPX. It was released as soon as it was announced. Not only that, it was released in overseas markets first. It seemed as if Blade is using the high price of BL mCPX to sell their other products.
zadaw is offline Find More Posts by zadaw
Old Jan 21, 2013, 12:44 AM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,718 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TucsonFlyer View Post
Bah, had a light crash this morning and now the motor is notching on startup and unable to spin up. It will "tick" around for a bit but not start. If it's ticking around and I reach down and give the head a spin it'll start and fly but it feels a bit weak without the usual punch... Suggestions?
Bad connection?
thwaitm is offline Find More Posts by thwaitm
Old Jan 21, 2013, 12:58 AM
WIFE HAND LAUNCHED MY PLANES!
Joined Jun 2009
2,130 Posts
Quote:
There is something very odd about this which is not in keeping with past practices of Blade. If they want to sell the new BL mCPX, the last thing they should do is to drop prices on similar products, in particular the 130X. In fact, taking the prices of the gifts in account, the 130x costs less than the BL mCPX.

There was no marketing campaign of any sort for BL mCPX. It was released as soon as it was announced. Not only that, it was released in overseas markets first. It seemed as if Blade is using the high price of BL mCPX to sell their other products.
Not sure what they got in mind either.
My guess is, they must have sold so much of the 130X already. And most people that flies helis (here in US particularly), already own one or two of the 130X. So the demand is now much less, but to "attract" more customers, & "move" those boxes out of the warehouse, they have to drop it's price. My wife worked in one of the largest retail stores here in US. Believe it or not, every so often, they have to sell products so cheap that customers wouldn't resist buying. Just because the truck is scheduled to arrive to drop off exact the same merchandise & they have to make room for them. So I'm assuming that they already made their profit, and the demand is now less, so why not drop the price. Or who knows, It's 2013, V2 is on it's way...

Regarding the BL mCPX, that price is definitely steep for a micro. But one thing I'd tell you, here in US, Horizon customers goes back to horizon. For HH customers, price is not a big thing not to buy their products. They like it, they will buy it. I go to 3 different fields and indoor RC place here in my area. When I was new with the hobby, I couldn't get into my shell why people buys their (to me) high priced products. It took over 2 yrs. to realize & understand why, (parts availability, quality/less repair cost, less bench time, & support). Though, again I'm not going to claim that all their products is top notch. Money back guarantee.
& I think most of their returned, open box, and etc. goes to this guy .

The new 550X may be expensive as well(?) for what you get, compared to other brands of the same class. But I don't think HH is worried about that as well. Otherwise, 6mos later, & might make the price competitive. Which I think they would do the same with the BL mCPX, a bit pricey, at the moment. But for those who has the patience, just wait & see. & for those itching for their new products, HH would be glad to see them back again.
I fly planes too. 2 months ago, they also dropped the price of the E-Flite Hawker Hurricane big time. I haven't purchased one, & hoping that it is not going to be phased out. Don't know if the price drop has to do with the new VisionAire with AS3X release.

Some says, it's the economy. Just like the flat screen TVs
Spyro37 is offline Find More Posts by Spyro37
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Spyro37; Jan 21, 2013 at 02:03 AM.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 08:39 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,607 Posts
Quote:

Seems to make sense to me. The product has reached market dominance and the customer base has become saturated with owners already. The best they can hope for after that, in the USA, is for random guys walking into a LHS with their kids for the first time and saying "Daddy, i want this". Because, after all, their target customer base has already seen the advertisement, the heli, or already own one. Or flat out won't buy one because of the very known issues and hassle of maintenance and additional upgrade costs. So why not drop the price? This is common practice with USA manufacturers/stores/distributors, as spyro said. The economy is garbage. A small drop in price usually spurs a large spike in short term sales. Effectively pushing all of those consumers "on the fence" about buying one, right off over the edge and into the loving arms of a new 130X. This is one of the things that really annoys me about Walkera, all they ever do is raise their prices to keep with "competition" but they don't have the quality or standards and practices (ethics and customer support) to compete, IMO.

I will probably never buy a little micro-mini (it's a good thing i live in a warm climate, huh?). The V911 was the only one i have ever owned and it was great. But the tail yaws and blows out on that as the battery gets low too. I considered the nano for a long time. But the fact is i don't want to replace brush motors every 50 or so flights. So at this stage, for me. The already brushless MCPX is the ONLY available option, if i were to consider such a direct drive tail, indoor type "toy" heli in the "micro-mini" size or 100 class, whatever people want to call them these days. If i were starting out my heli career/hobby now, it would also be my first option. Even when i did start out. I got the V120d02S over the Genius, mini cp and MCPX because they all did have brush motors and a tail motor, period.. The BL mcpx might have a high starting price, but i promise you the long term cost will be MUCH less than a 130X or other brush motor micro-mini helicopters. Especially if you plan on flying your little investment for years to come. The ONLY THING I HAVE LEARNED in this hobby in 10 months that is worth a damn and would have saved me hundreds to possibly thousands in this stupid hobby. It is SAVE your money and PAY for it up front, get the good equipment the first time so you don't hate YOURSELF for buying a headache, and being stuck with your product costing you additional money in upgrades, constant bench time, and causing you nothing but grief and animosity for the product, company and yourself for trying to save $100.... Either be patient and learn to build, do the hobby all the way, or buy a $50 toy at the mall.. Otherwise in the case of these micro-mini "learners". You still want the stock "out of the box" heli to have the better gyro, better motors, better support, local parts, etc. Especially if your paying so much for a micro... Having parts locally is a big deal too. So you can have less down time and not have to stock every part on the heli (costing you additional money for things you might not use). Because the LHS has the parts there most of the time. Just go pick them up. Trust me, There is no middle ground, i promise you, if there is a middle ground. You don't want to be standing on it with your wallet in your hand..... That is something i am sure of. I think i have a t-shirt from going to that place, it says "SUCKER!!" on the back and "I fly RC helicopters" on the front, courtesy of Walkera. It's the only free thing they ever gave me, i think i have a few of them. They came in the box with my V120D05, 4f200 and V450D01. Still loving the D02S though. So it's still a very viable "learner" option... After all it is brushless, cheaper than a 130X (maybe & arguable). But people keep having these 6 axis issues, whatever they are. If they even exist. We'll call them ghosts from now on. Or maybe leprechauns or fairies. Since we could have the argument all day about weather or not the 6 axis issues even exist, it seems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyro37 View Post
I fly planes too. 2 months ago, they also dropped the price of the E-Flite Hawker Hurricane big time. I haven't purchased one, & hoping that it is not going to be phased out. Don't know if the price drop has to do with the new VisionAire with AS3X release.

Some says, it's the economy. Just like the flat screen TVs
STOP, your going to make me buy a plank! I don't have a runway for that, but man that hawker hurricane looks nice and is pretty nice and big.
Last edited by IntegrityHndywrk; Jan 21, 2013 at 11:16 AM.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 08:57 AM
United States, NJ, Evesham Township
Joined Oct 2011
201 Posts
Thanks IH,

I usually leave a small gap, just enough that there is the smallest amount of play in the main gear. However, I seem to go through pinions. Perhaps it's my flying area. It's a bit sandy. I'm thinking I get grit in the main gear from the prop wash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
How old is your pinion? Mine is pretty old but it's not ground that bad. You should have a hair gap between the pinion and main gear so there is not a lot of friction.

Anyway. Click the pictures for links. This metal pinion or brass pinion are the same as the stock D02S pinion.

These days everyone carries the stock size pinion because it's a 130X compatible pinion. Your looking for a 10T 0.4m pinion. You will need a pinion puller and a vice or something to press the pinion on.

Well, i for one would like to see the 300X in the "pro series". I would consider that a lot more than the X2, with domestic support and LHS parts supply. It would probably be as much or more expensive than a X2 though, judging by what they want for the 550.

I wish i could tell you the one single thing i did to get piros like this. I think cutting my vertical tail fin and shaving all the weight on the tail that i did, helped a lot. I also am not using the tail stabilizer bars or horizontal fin anymore. So i don't really know. I did also adjust my RX so it is tilted slightly, like we talked about before in this thread.
Dave O is offline Find More Posts by Dave O
Old Jan 21, 2013, 09:07 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,607 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave O View Post
Thanks IH,

I usually leave a small gap, just enough that there is the smallest amount of play in the main gear. However, I seem to go through pinions. Perhaps it's my flying area. It's a bit sandy. I'm thinking I get grit in the main gear from the prop wash.
Yeah, it's a beach where i fly. My CNC tail "C" gear for my slipper clutch is all pitted and worn. My pinion has hundreds of flights on it, but one side of the teeth is worn down, leaving the teeth looking like they are bent at an angle, but they are just worn down. It still runs, but i recently ordered both of those pinions i linked to you there. I am hoping they arrive today or tomorrow... Since today is a holiday that i don't think the mail delivers on.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:12 AM
United States, NJ, Evesham Township
Joined Oct 2011
201 Posts
Quote:
Yeah, it's a beach where i fly. My CNC tail "C" gear for my slipper clutch is all pitted and worn. My pinion has hundreds of flights on it, but one side of the teeth is worn down, leaving the teeth looking like they are bent at an angle, but they are just worn down. It still runs, but i recently ordered both of those pinions i linked to you there. I am hoping they arrive today or tomorrow... Since today is a holiday that i don't think the mail delivers on.
I don't log my flight hours, but I probably should. Also mine are just FFF or hover practice. So, not as many flights on mine, but your description of the teeth is similar. My pinion teeth are to the point where there's a serious ridge where the main gear hits the pinion. As I just replaced the main gear, I don't want the worn teeth to chew it up.

I've had similar issues with CB100, 3#4B, and Genius (bl).

After flying, I often take a toothbrush to the main gear and tail gears to get the grit out.

Perhaps it's time to invest in a landing pad.
Dave O is offline Find More Posts by Dave O
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:24 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,134 Posts
Quote:
The ONLY THING I HAVE LEARNED in this hobby in 10 months that is worth a damn and would have saved me hundreds to possibly thousands in this stupid hobby. It is SAVE your money and PAY for it up front, get the good equipment the first time so you don't hate YOURSELF for buying a headache, and being stuck with your product costing you additional money in upgrades, constant bench time, and causing you nothing but grief and animosity for the product, company and yourself for trying to save $100.... Either be patient and learn to build, do the hobby all the way, or buy a $50 toy at the mall.. Otherwise in the case of these micro-mini "learners". You still want the stock "out of the box" heli to have the better gyro, better motors, better support, local parts, etc. Especially if your paying so much for a micro... Having parts locally is a big deal too. So you can have less down time and not have to stock every part on the heli (costing you additional money for things you might not use). Because the LHS has the parts there most of the time. Just go pick them up. Trust me, There is no middle ground, i promise you, if there is a middle ground. You don't want to be standing on it with your wallet in your hand..... That is something i am sure of. I think i have a t-shirt from going to that place, it says "SUCKER!!" on the back and "I fly RC helicopters" on the front, courtesy of Walkera. It's the only free thing they ever gave me, i think i have a few of them. They came in the box with my V120D05, 4f200 and V450D01. Still loving the D02S though. So it's still a very viable "learner" option... After all it is brushless, cheaper than a 130X (maybe & arguable). But people keep having these 6 axis issues, whatever they are. If they even exist. We'll call them ghosts from now on. Or maybe leprechauns or fairies. Since we could have the argument all day about weather or not the 6 axis issues even exist, it seems.

STOP, your going to make me buy a plank! I don't have a runway for that, but man that hawker hurricane looks nice and is pretty nice and big.
Of course I understand what you mean. I was in the "one heli per month" on and off for the past 3 years. However, I must add that I was more interested in trying out different types of designs rather than progressing. I started flying helis nearly 20 years ago with the Hirbobo Shuttle. Although I mainly flew planes, I got to the level of basic aerobatics and then stopped completely for more than 10 years. If you have a gap like this, you lose every skill except that of hovering. Although my equipment was pretty reliable, my bill was still very high. Crashes occurred mainly when the engine cut out. I could save the heli less than one third of the time through an autorotation.

When I started to fly helis again 3 years ago. My only aim was to get a heli to fly indoor. Therefore I started with a 4 channel co-axial, a Solo Pro 100, and a CB 100. I was particularly fascinated by the CB100 and that got me deeper and deeper into the hobby.

It was in 2011 that I decided to make a concerted effort to learn 3D. I already had a Trex 450 and Trex 250 but I just couldn't bring myself to try it out with them. To date, I still haven't flown any 3D with my 450 which I have spent $1000 on. I just do not have any flying fields close by that I could do it safely. I then tried to learn 3D with the mCPX and Genius CP but just couldn't do it because of the motor getting bogged down and tail blowouts. It was only after getting the V120D02S that I was able to start progressing.

There are lots of people here who fly great 3D and who have never touched a micro. I really admire them because many of them are weekend flyers. But the technology and maintenance is just far too complicated for me. This is why I would prefer to stick with micros. The brushless mCPX definitely looks interesting but I would prefer something larger for the field I fly in. I am not sure whether Walkera is that bothered about it as they are far more worried about other toy manufacturers at home. It has got much more difficult to buy Blade stuff over here as there is only one real vendor left. There are rumors that he may be in a financial dispute with HH so risk being cut off.

You know, a lot of LHS do not like micros. They think they are bad for business as many micro fliers will remain micro fliers all their life.
zadaw is offline Find More Posts by zadaw
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:41 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,607 Posts
Quote:
You know, a lot of LHS do not like micros. They think they are bad for business as many micro fliers will remain micro fliers all their life.
I can definitely see where a large majority of people would be a micro flier all their life. Actually, to rephrase that. I can see where most micro fliers don't end up wanting to progress to anything bigger. For a few reasons, actually. One, in your neighborhood, space is an issue. If there are no RC fields to fly at, or you cannot gain access to such a place. Obviously the only option is flying in a empty parking lot, small park or field. Otherwise your stuck in your home/apartment with a micro. On top of that.... What do you think all my friends and family had to say about my helicopters when they would watch me fly? I would have a little crash and they would go "wow they are so sensitive and easy to break, huh?" Basically, after just WATCHING my experience, even with the V120D02S. Anyone that might have been interested in starting the hobby, no longer was. Especially after finding out the price tag to get started and seeing how "temperamental" these things were to setup, fix and fly. They all said the same thing "my blah, blah, blah, has a little $50 heli he got at the mall, and he crashes it all the time. He's on his second one now. But it lasted forever before the motor died on him"

It almost makes me feel like an ass for buying these things in the first place, just to "learn"... You know? I can definitely see where A LOT of people buy their first "hobby grade" RTF micro and end up sticking it in the closet, never to think about buying another heli again. Especially after something like the D05. But i'm sure the CB100 and others in that period were just as resilient as a V911, right? I for one would not hold my breath on that being the case. The heli's people sell at the mall here are NOT WL toys... in fact, i have never seen a WL toys product for sale anywhere here. Only in Chinese web sites and "whole sellers". I have to swing by the local flee market and see if that guy is even selling them yet. Because all i see around here are those "avatar" looking 3 and 4 channel coaxials. Or other similar coaxials. The only FP heli i remember seeing in an actual store so far was the silverlit 4 channel re badged as a "air hogs" 4 channel heli. It was a total pile of junk for $80. If i didn't know better, after that i would have never bought another... Poor thing didn't even last a week. Actually none of the 4 i bought lasted a week. It's a good thing i could just return it locally and get a new one though. They got tired of it when i depleted their whole shelf in a month... They would only give me a refund at that point..
Old Jan 21, 2013, 12:02 PM
Joined Nov 2011
769 Posts
I've always considered my walkera micros as disposable. They're good to learn with and plenty of fun but not worth an investment larger than what it costs to keep in the air. It lets me forgive them for not flying all that well.

I found that early on my freinds also thought my heli's were a bit stupid when I "showed off" how I could hover and slowly move around my living room. After a year or so now of not bothering to show off and just working on flying the same folks who were really unimpressed are blown away with a simple loop or flip. Even a FFF pass with the 250 is worth seeing and anything inverted just blows their minds I think once you get past what a competent 4ch co-ax pilot can do folks perk up because they just didn't think this stuff was even possible with a heli.
TucsonFlyer is offline Find More Posts by TucsonFlyer
Old Jan 21, 2013, 12:31 PM
Joined Jun 2008
70 Posts
Anyone noticed this new upgrade for devo 7: http://walkera.com/en/progoods.php?id=450&type=control
This is not so new, end of last year, but I did not see this before. Anyone tried?
I don't have any specific problem, but I think I'll update.
EDIT: As Rafa said, this is only a bug from walkera website. This version is in my TX for months ...
ju204 is offline Find More Posts by ju204
Last edited by ju204; Jan 21, 2013 at 02:17 PM.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 12:45 PM
Live to learn. . .
Austin, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ju204 View Post
Anyone noticed this new upgrade for devo 7: http://walkera.com/en/progoods.php?id=450&type=control
This is not so new, end of last year, but I did not see this before. Anyone tried?
I don't have any specific problem, but I think I'll update.
I looked at the V120D02S update page, and while it says 12/26/12, it also still shows version 1.1.

I think that the date reflects the date they launched the new website.

Rafa
Rafa's CB100 is offline Find More Posts by Rafa's CB100
Old Jan 21, 2013, 01:25 PM
Heli Crash Survivor
United States, AR, North Little Rock
Joined Feb 2011
1,041 Posts
Rafa you have a V2 V120 If I remember right. Decided this weekend to shelf mine anyway due to not only I don't like how it flies, but it's throwing me off on staying in sync with my V1 V120's. Wondering is it even possible to pull a tight flip out of the V2?
Crash Survivor is offline Find More Posts by Crash Survivor
Old Jan 21, 2013, 01:38 PM
Controls Engineer
United States, NY, Amsterdam
Joined Dec 2012
1,327 Posts
I want to thank everyone who provided advise on upgrading my V120 to 2S. The thing just screams. A little more tinkering to do but it's just what it needed. Today was the first flight.
lasakro is offline Find More Posts by lasakro