HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 18, 2013, 12:19 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,318 Posts
I might get the metal head assembly as well. I have been getting more damage to the head recently. This may be related to the fact that I am using the M120D01 skids. They do make the heli heavier and fly worse. However, I am sick of replacing broken skids.
zadaw is offline Find More Posts by zadaw
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 18, 2013, 01:42 PM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
7,326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flint723 View Post
Not earth-shattering, but .5 g is something. Its worth it for me because I keep 1mm on hand anyway for replacing the canopy mount rod. Also I think that metal rod I have isn't even the v120d02s one, I think it's the thinner v120d05 one. The metal one measures 0.032" or 0.81mm.
0.5g is significant, imo. especially since I add weight by using a flexible paperclip for a canopy pin. not that the weight difference there is as much. but the metal weighs more. I don't know how much my new rudder push guide weighs either. Cnc plus steel wire to tie it. so for me this is a good idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zadaw View Post
I might get the metal head assembly as well. I have been getting more damage to the head recently. This may be related to the fact that I am using the M120D01 skids. They do make the heli heavier and fly worse. However, I am sick of replacing broken skids.
I guess the m120 skids are stonger? I kind of like the d05 skids for the big battery tray, but the d02s battery does not fit well. how is the m120 like with the pack?

I guess you can't get the extreme skids still there?
IntegrityHndywrk is online now Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Old Jan 18, 2013, 01:48 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
0.5g is significant, imo. especially since I add weight by using a flexible paperclip for a canopy pin. not that the weight difference there is as much. but the metal weighs more. I don't know how much my new rudder push guide weighs either. Cnc plus steel wire to tie it. so for me this is a good idea.

I guess the m120 skids are stonger? I kind of like the d05 skids for the big battery tray, but the d02s battery does not fit well. how is the m120 like with the pack?

I guess you can't get the extreme skids still there?
The M120D01 are basically indestructible but weights 3 times of that of the normal skids. I can't get extreme skids there.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 02:07 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,326 Posts
Quote:
The M120D01 are basically indestructible but weights 3 times of that of the normal skids. I can't get extreme skids there.
I keep hoping someone will release Cf "goblin" like skids. the 130x has a nice looking set. don't know the weight. but I don't think 130x skids will fit the 120.

spyro or someone else, can the 130x skids either directly fit or have new holes drilled?

25 mph STEADY winds here today. gusts higher. I don't know about flying this week. bug the 120s will save me in the forest enclosed front yard.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 02:19 PM
Joined Nov 2011
777 Posts
Quote:
I keep hoping someone will release Cf "goblin" like skids. the 130x has a nice looking set. don't know the weight. but I don't think 130x skids will fit the 120.

spyro or someone else, can the 130x skids either directly fit or have new holes drilled?

25 mph STEADY winds here today. gusts higher. I don't know about flying this week. bug the 120s will save me in the forest enclosed front yard.
I'd think that CF would actually be heavier than the stock plastic. I've been thinking about using spring wire for a set of gear. Just bend a set from a single piece.

Normally I only break the tips off the stock gear but the winter temps have made them very brittle. I managed to snap 3 of the legs off a set in one crash in 25* weather.
TucsonFlyer is offline Find More Posts by TucsonFlyer
Old Jan 18, 2013, 03:16 PM
United States, OR, Vernonia
Joined Dec 2004
126 Posts
Quote:
If you do destroy your last metal rudder rod, I would suggest buying some 1mm CF and CAing ball links to it. The 1mm fits in the ball links nicely. Will never bend and it has never popped off since I did this.

I had a weird crash on the v120d02s^2 yesterday... I was inverted and pretty high up, maybe 50 feet. and all of sudden I see things explode in all directions off it. So I hit TH only to watch the v120 gracefully crash to the ground still perfectly level inverted. My canopy had come loose and got shredded in the main blades. Guess that'll teach me to use a canopy that's falling apart... No damage though, amazingly (except to the canopy, I never did find all the peices ).
You need to turn the tail upside down and that will never happen and you wont need a carbon fiber rod. Ive got extra rudder rods that i never need now. Mike
iflyrvs1 is offline Find More Posts by iflyrvs1
Old Jan 18, 2013, 08:24 PM
Controls Engineer
United States, NY, Amsterdam
Joined Dec 2012
1,331 Posts
Quote:
If you do destroy your last metal rudder rod, I would suggest buying some 1mm CF and CAing ball links to it. The 1mm fits in the ball links nicely. Will never bend and it has never popped off since I did this.
I just received my RC Foam order today with 1.2 mm. this time because my canopy grommets are getting beat and it's stronger. Need to thin the ends to fit the links and file out the guide a bit. Great idea thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iflyrvs1 View Post
You need to turn the tail upside down and that will never happen and you wont need a carbon fiber rod. Ive got extra rudder rods that i never need now. Mike
Great mod. I'm still going to do the CF rod. More the better.

I'm using Loctite RC 609 Retaining Compound for these pinions. They say that the cure time is 24 hrs. How long really should I give it before flying?

Anybody with small kids hitting walls with their toy heli and messing up the paint? Try this it's IR. I've never seen this before.

HeliPal.com - Flying Ball w/Gyro Test Flight (3 min 46 sec)
lasakro is offline Find More Posts by lasakro
Old Jan 18, 2013, 08:26 PM
WIFE HAND LAUNCHED MY PLANES!
Joined Jun 2009
2,277 Posts
Quote:
But it seems like a Horizon product gets released and people in the 3rd party production industries actually CARE and get into a stir about how they could make money with it. But when Walkera releases a new product it seems, for the most part, like it's "Back of the news paper"... Almost like no one cares.
Well said.
I agree, 3rd party companies does immediately releases upgrades on HH products.
Obviously, consumers are buying HH products and there is good money manufacturing making options and or upgrades for it, cheaper or not cheaper.
Same thing as so many 3rd party parts for Align but not for Walkera. Why
Spyro37 is offline Find More Posts by Spyro37
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 18, 2013, 08:36 PM
WIFE HAND LAUNCHED MY PLANES!
Joined Jun 2009
2,277 Posts
Quote:
First, It's pretty much an impossible thing to do due to the design.
Second, If it does, It's WAY lot heavier after the mod "redesigning" mounts & etc.
I wished that Walkera came up with same design and plastic material. I wonder why
It doesn't really bother me anymore. I just fly my 120s occasionally, and not so aggressive with them.
So it has been a little while since I have done any repair(s) on them.

Few of my friends flies the same heli.
We all enjoy flying after the day. Usually goes home (not Hobby Store) after the flight.
Spyro37 is offline Find More Posts by Spyro37
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Spyro37; Jan 18, 2013 at 08:49 PM.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 08:50 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iflyrvs1 View Post
I think the carbon rod was just for shaving weight. The original V120 torque tube shaft was CF actually, i think just to save weight. The metal TT shaft is actually pretty heavy. But the CF rod didn't last very well or something, so the V120D02s came with a metal shaft. On the V120D02S they switched to the current plastic rotor heads and blade grips too. While before the previous micros by walkera pushed "CNC" like it was the best thing on earth, since they were the only ones doing CNC on micros. It was a really cool "selling point". But the CNC proved problematic and all of the complaints about the CNC, the TT, the TT gears, main gear teeth, small linkage balls, thin and easily bent shafts, basically ALL the complaints about Walkera helicopters culminated in the creation of the V120D02S, Which has been the most successful heli i know of made by Walkera. It made most people think Walkera was actually on the warpath to dominating the micro industry. The success of the V120D02S and the lack of popularity of the older CNC parts, most especially the faulty swash followers on previous 120 class along with the 200 class's soft and expensive CNC ended up giving Walkera the brilliant idea to make an affordable 200 size heli mimicking and scaling up the size of the V120 rotor head. I suppose it worked out for them, because the Master CP seemed pretty popular despite it having a direct drive tail. Though i suspect any time now they will release a full 200 size brushless scaled up model of the V120D02S. A better, brushless version of the Master Cp, if you will. Here we are now 2 years later and we're still fighting the push rod being ejected. All this time later and you'd think on the V2 V120D02S they might have done something about this problematic design that has existed since the V120D01 or 4G6 or any of those older than that even. Nope, all we got was a little tit on the "B" gear to fix the previous play in the tail gear mesh. So some people flip their tail over and give it improper physics to the tail rotation and also, if using the stock tail fin. The tail rotor draft will be partially blocked by it too, being on the opposite side now. I think that is why EJ uses a very thin CF rod for his tail. I mean, no one else puts the push rod on top, that i know of. It makes no sense. Unless it's there on purpose. But why would they leave it there on purpose? I just don't understand...
Old Jan 18, 2013, 08:55 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,318 Posts
It is noteworthy that virtually all known 3rd party manufacturers for Walkera helis are based outside China. The only things that other Chinese manufacturers make are blades and batteries. For example, there is a very high end and expensive one in Germany. This is a link for their V120D02 and 4G6s upgrades. I am not sure whether they are making their own or using products from other manufacturers.

http://www.heli-worx.de/shop/#Produkte(29010212038)

I don't know whether it implies that there is legal threat by Walkera or not against other Chinese manufacturers. Certainly, Walkera is completely dominant over here. There are good reasons to believe that the market for micro helis in China is much larger than anywhere else.
Last edited by zadaw; Jan 18, 2013 at 09:17 PM.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 09:19 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,326 Posts
Quote:
It is noteworthy that virtually all known 3rd party manufacturers for Walkera helis are based outside China. The only things that other Chinese manufacturers make are blades and batteries. For example, there is a very high end and expensive one in Germany. This is a link for their V120D02 and 4G6s upgrades. I am not sure whether they are making their own or using products from other manufacturers.

http://www.heli-worx.de/shop/#Produkte(29010212038)

I don't know whether it implies that there is legal threat by Walkera or not against other Chinese manufacturers. Certainly, Walkera is completely dominant over here. There are good reasons to believe that the market for micro helis in China is much larger than anywhere else.

I had a Heli-worx rotor head for the V120D05, IT WAS AWESOME. The metal quality of the CNC for the rotor head put the prior Walkera CNC on the D05 to SHAME. Unfortunately i was not able to obtain a tempered shaft to go with it. So i always ended up bending my shafts in every single crash any way. The cost of the Heli-worx rotor head is well worth it. IMO. At least in comparison to the V120D05 CNC rotor head i was fighting on a daily basis. Eliminating the little swash follower alone was a MAJOR upgrade. Of course, the V120D02S uses this design too with the AR brackets that hold the pitch links.

Xtreame used to make Walkera parts and they are based in either HK or China. I'm not sure which. No one can stop someone from making compatible parts for another product. At least not in the USA. If you make a product that replaces another product. It's legit. Unless your copying an exact patent. It has to be at least 25% different i think is the number used. So maybe this is one reason why Blade has aftermarket parts available and Walkera does not. Also patents on things like the Bell-hiller mixer, bell flybar control, and helicopter rotor blades in general, someone correct me if i'm wrong. But i think those patents have expired and are open game to anyone now. RC or otherwise. I'm not clear on that. But that sounds about right to me, and a good explanation of the lack of consequence for cloning.

Yeah, looking though that heli-worx link. Most of those parts were old parts made for the V120d02 or V120D05. Most of the pictures are shown using the D05. Those landing skids look kind of interesting. But too expensive. I'm also not sure the CNC rotor heads are for the D02S shaft size. Some of the parts they are selling are made by Xtreme, like the CF/CNC airframe and the tail box. A few other things they sell as well like the Xtreme CF blades and a few other things. It's hard to know for sure what is compatible and what is not because i don't read German.
Last edited by IntegrityHndywrk; Jan 18, 2013 at 09:44 PM.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 09:39 PM
Live to learn. . .
Austin, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,489 Posts
Here's what Google Translate has to say about it:

Carbon fiber base plate up to 30 mm wide 2S batteries suitable for our carbon fiber landing racks

Scope of supply:

- 1 piece carbon fiber base plate (wide)

For the installation, we recommend UHU Endfest or similar epoxy resins. For fixing the battery additionally selbsklebendes Velcro is needed.

(The pictured model is not part of the deal - this is only for illustration)

Looks like it's to mount a 2S battery, but I still don't get it . .. ...

Rafa

Quote:
And i have no idea what this part is, or where it goes/ what it's for... I don't read much German either...

Rafa's CB100 is offline Find More Posts by Rafa's CB100
Old Jan 18, 2013, 09:41 PM
Live to learn. . .
Austin, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,489 Posts
Oh, I get it now. It's part of their CF landing gear, found here: http://www.heli-worx.de/shop/#CfK-Landegestell(49219)

Rafa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafa's CB100 View Post
Here's what Google Translate has to say about it:

Carbon fiber base plate up to 30 mm wide 2S batteries suitable for our carbon fiber landing racks

Scope of supply:

- 1 piece carbon fiber base plate (wide)

For the installation, we recommend UHU Endfest or similar epoxy resins. For fixing the battery additionally selbsklebendes Velcro is needed.

(The pictured model is not part of the deal - this is only for illustration)

Looks like it's to mount a 2S battery, but I still don't get it . .. ...

Rafa
Rafa's CB100 is offline Find More Posts by Rafa's CB100
Old Jan 18, 2013, 09:53 PM
United States, OR, Vernonia
Joined Dec 2004
126 Posts
. So some people flip their tail over and give it improper physics to the tail rotation and also, if using the stock tail fin. The tail rotor draft will be partially blocked by it too, being on the opposite side now. I think that is why EJ uses a very thin CF rod for his tail. I mean, no one else puts the push rod on top, that i know of. It makes no sense. Unless it's there on purpose. But why would they leave it there on purpose? I just don't understand...

This maybe so that it is on the wrong side but i can tell you from extensive testing there is no difference in the flight characteristics and since inverting the rod i have never had to go chase another rudder rod. On my rudder rods that got hit it also ruined the tail rockers. I could probably switch back now as i dont crash much anymore but i dont see any need to switch them back. I took all the slipper clutches off as i couldnt do a stall turn with a 1 1/2 piro at the end without the tail beaking loose. My slipper cutches worked good as long as i wasnt doing agressive maneuvers. Now my tail is rock solid on all three of my flying V120s.

My Trex 450 will be here Mon!!!!!!!!!
iflyrvs1 is offline Find More Posts by iflyrvs1