HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 15, 2013, 12:44 PM
Deviant
Joined Jul 2012
1,116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
I'm at work right now and one of my customers has this in his driveway... So, I'm thinking, how much? I want a new toy! You think a WK TX is compatible?
That's a 7 channel model, so you're safe I think. Maybe 8 channel if you want to turn on the lights too

(impressive for a driveway )
sbstnp is offline Find More Posts by sbstnp
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 15, 2013, 02:16 PM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
5,917 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbstnp View Post
That's a 7 channel model, so you're safe I think. Maybe 8 channel if you want to turn on the lights too

(impressive for a driveway )
oh, I'm at the spruce creek fly-in. This is where John Travolta used to live. Every house has a plane hanger and driveway right out to the taxiway.

just snapped these at random. there are planes everywhere out here.
IntegrityHndywrk is offline Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Last edited by IntegrityHndywrk; Jan 15, 2013 at 02:22 PM.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 03:30 PM
Joined Dec 2011
2,796 Posts
Quote:

I have to say though. For 2.4ghz. The length of the antenna is a big deal. The LONG antenna wires that come on the new Walkera RX's are, Maybe 8 inches long? Something like that. But the wires have a steel braided jacket inside to block ingress and egress of signal. The actual tip of the wire is stripped off and that is the ONLY part that is the antenna. The actual length of that stripped part, or the actual length of a stub antenna coming off the PCB needs to be an EXACT measured length based on the wavelength of the signal. 2.4ghz is usually 1/2 or 1/4 the wavelength. 40mm sounds like even Walkera just cut their wire to whatever random length and soldered it on. No wonder my my 2702V's loose signal and lock out.

A full wavelength of 2.4Ghz is 12.5 cm.
A 1/2 wavelength of 2.4Ghz is 6.25 cm.
A 1/4 wavelength of 2.4Ghz is 3.125 cm.

Now, to be fair. I don't know a whole lot about this stuff and am basically repeating what i have learned and read in the process of dealing with my 2702V RX on the v450. Though if your antenna's have been working fine. I suppose your safe. But antenna polarization and reliability seem to be an Achilles heel of Walkera.

Maybe someone that knows more technical specs on antenna wavelengths and polarization can clarify some of my gibberish. But 40mm sounds either too long or too short to me... How many antenna's does your RX have coming out of it?

EDIT:
Okay, i just went and measured all of my 2.4Ghz antennas on the updated newer version 2702V i have with the long antenna wires, also on my Spektrum AR8000 and the Spektrum SRX unit. All of them were about 36mm/37mm in length. On the spektrum units, what would be an approximate length from the PCB to tip. But i didn't open the case to measure. Though the cases are semi transparent. So it's no more than a mm or two difference between them all. Which is probably human error. Even the V120D02S's antenna is about 36mm too.
I'm pretty sure that they are designing them so that the trace on the board counts as part of the antenna. Every single one I've seen by every manufactuer is shorter than a quarter wave. I didn't feel like second guessing the engineers so I just made them the same length.
Atomic Skull is offline Find More Posts by Atomic Skull
Old Jan 15, 2013, 06:49 PM
WIFE HAND LAUNCHED MY PLANES!
Joined Jun 2009
2,129 Posts
Quote:
I wonder what protocol the "3D Beast" uses. Because a guy at my local field back in November had just bought one. It "locked out" on him multiple times and crashed on the first day of owning it. He thought it might have been his old version DX7. But he tried my brand new DX8 with DSMX and it also locked out. It was very perturbing for me, being i had just bought the DX8 just before hand and was using it to fly my Gaui X5. Though i have had no issue with that.

If he has the older 3Dbeast without the AS3X gyro, it might have been the DSM2.
I wouldn't fly any RC (even cheap foamies) with DSM2. ALL the newer micros (including the 3D Beast - 2nd gen with A S3X) are DSMX. There were issues with the DSMX Txs that were released during the first few months, which is over 2 years ago, that HH had already fixed. Never heard any issues with the DSMX Rxs though. After everything got "straightened out", I have not seen any DSMX's falling out of the sky. Though your DX8 (is DSMX), I would highly recommend using a satellite Rx on your microBeast if using it with your Gaui. I don't run one on my 300X, but that is just a 300X (compared to your bigger Gaui). I will be running a microBeast Gyro on my 550 with satellite. Call me me paranoid but, nothing to loose, except a small amount of $$s. Again, I have not seen any DSMX failure in the past year since after the fix. DSMX Tx + DSMX Rx should be reliable, OR, I would have stayed with Futaba only.
As long as your regulator (BEC) is up to task, your set-up should be solid.
Spyro37 is offline Find More Posts by Spyro37
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 130X Build
Old Jan 15, 2013, 07:16 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
5,917 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Skull View Post
I'm pretty sure that they are designing them so that the trace on the board counts as part of the antenna. Every single one I've seen by every manufactuer is shorter than a quarter wave. I didn't feel like second guessing the engineers so I just made them the same length.

I thought you said you made it longer? I suppose, by your current post, i can assume you meant just for to tin the tips?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyro37 View Post
If he has the older 3Dbeast without the AS3X gyro, it might have been the DSM2.
I wouldn't fly any RC (even cheap foamies) with DSM2. ALL the newer micros (including the 3D Beast - 2nd gen with A S3X) are DSMX. There were issues with the DSMX Txs that were released during the first few months, which is over 2 years ago, that HH had already fixed. Never heard any issues with the DSMX Rxs though. After everything got "straightened out", I have not seen any DSMX's falling out of the sky. Though your DX8 (is DSMX), I would highly recommend using a satellite Rx on your microBeast if using it with your Gaui. I don't run one on my 300X, but that is just a 300X (compared to your bigger Gaui). I will be running a microBeast Gyro on my 550 with satellite. Call me me paranoid but, nothing to loose, except a small amount of $$s. Again, I have not seen any DSMX failure in the past year since after the fix. DSMX Tx + DSMX Rx should be reliable, OR, I would have stayed with Futaba only.
As long as your regulator (BEC) is up to task, your set-up should be solid.
No, your absolutely right. The Microbeast instruction manual and the Spektrum even warns to make sure you use a satellite RX with any heli bigger than 450. Even the AR7200BX has the same warning in the manual. EVEN IF USING a regular RX, they recommend using a SRX in addition. I am actually thinking about adding a 2nd SRX and eventually getting a 2S pack and 2nd bec for redundancy. Especially after having my first Gaui airborne failure. To make it worse, a bunch of people flying the NX4 have had the same failure on the same part. It got me thinking.... Besides the mechanical issues. Why haven't i setup redundancy for my $1000 heli yet?

My X5 has 4 antenna's at the moment. 2 from the SRX, one from the RX, and one for the Telemetry. I've been thinking of adding another SRX.

On another note, the Robird G31 comes with the adapter cables and the ability to use the DSMX remote RX too. So will definitely be giving that a shot in my 4f200 and comparing it to the BeastX. Later i might drop it in the other V450 i have just to compare it to the BeastX in the same airframe my BX is in.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 08:09 PM
Controls Engineer
United States, NY, Amsterdam
Joined Dec 2012
1,319 Posts
Quote:
I am actually thinking about adding a 2nd SRX and eventually getting a 2S pack and 2nd bec for redundancy.
With four antennas (one for telemetry) it sounds like to me that you already have the suggested antenna diversity suggested by MICROBEAST, below. They actually dedicate one for telemetry data only? I ask because I thought I've finished planning out my first build but not if two antennas (one rx) might lose the signal. What was the name of this thread again? I'm lost...

"The use of MICROBEAST with a single Spektrum® satellite receiver is allowed only on micro or mini helicopters (450 size helicopters) because of the limited range due to the lack of antenna diversity!"
lasakro is online now Find More Posts by lasakro
Old Jan 15, 2013, 09:15 PM
Hobbyone
Joined Aug 2011
91 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasakro View Post
With four antennas (one for telemetry) it sounds like to me that you already have the suggested antenna diversity suggested by MICROBEAST, below. They actually dedicate one for telemetry data only? I ask because I thought I've finished planning out my first build but not if two antennas (one rx) might lose the signal. What was the name of this thread again? I'm lost...

"The use of MICROBEAST with a single Spektrum® satellite receiver is allowed only on micro or mini helicopters (450 size helicopters) because of the limited range due to the lack of antenna diversity!"
You may need the Metal rotor head for this NEW 120D02S to upgrade the performance .
here you go :http://www.hobbyone.com.hk/cn/product.jsp?id=11365

Best regards
Lena
one01 is offline Find More Posts by one01
Old Jan 15, 2013, 09:25 PM
Controls Engineer
Joined Dec 2012
1,319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by one01 View Post
You may need the Metal rotor head for this NEW 120D02S to upgrade the performance .

Best regards
Lena
Lena,
When I break the ball off of a blade grip how much are the replacements?
Old Jan 15, 2013, 09:55 PM
Joined Jun 2009
2,129 Posts
Quote:

Best regards
Lena
hmm... others tries to save a gram or two, to "upgrade the performance".
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:14 PM
Joined Oct 2010
1,133 Posts
Quote:
to be honest, it probably wouldn't hurt to pickup some weight in the front. it'll help the cg since this bird is tail heavy.
pmerritt is offline Find More Posts by pmerritt
Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:40 PM
Controls Engineer
Joined Dec 2012
1,319 Posts
Quote:

Best regards
Lena
On a serious note guys. I think I've figured out the concerns here. Just weighed rotor, blade grips and swash and they are 4 grams. ABS is 1.07 g/cc while Aluminum is 2.72 g/cc. So taking 2.72/1.07= 2.54 factor. 4 x 2.54= 10.17 grams for these. This is on the high side because I've also weighted the bearing. Not about to take that out of a good swash. The CG is very close to the rotor location so adding weight there won't change the tail heavy behavior. But if we buy these for $50 we can strap them to our receivers. This will move the CR forward and in a crash they probably won't break so no worry for replacement parts that aren't available. I'm sold and will take 2.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:13 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
5,917 Posts
Quote:

Message me if you want to talk about it more. Adding a second SRX would be for redundancy on all sides of the heli and with no chance of CF shadowing or having an antenna tip pointed toward the tip of my TX antenna at any time. Thats all. Yes the telemetry has it's own single antenna for stand alone communication with the TX.

Quote:

I wish someone would weigh it already! I might not be a genius. But i'm sure it weights 3x the weight, about.. Just the rotor, grips and swash. Not counting the other standard parts. (bearings, shafts, etc).

Quote:
On a serious note guys. I think I've figured out the concerns here. Just weighed rotor, blade grips and swash and they are 4 grams. ABS is 1.07 g/cc while Aluminum is 2.72 g/cc. So taking 2.72/1.07= 2.54 factor. 4 x 2.54= 10.17 grams for these. This is on the high side because I've also weighted the bearing. Not about to take that out of a good swash. The CG is very close to the rotor location so adding weight there won't change the tail heavy behavior. But if we buy these for $50 we can strap them to our receivers. This will move the CR forward and in a crash they probably won't break so no worry for replacement parts that aren't available. I'm sold and will take 2.

So, do i sense some sarcasm?

While Aluminum is not the lightest thing on the planet. Most other composites have less mass. Check out these material sheets and their specific gravity. Keep in mind the Specific gravity shown on the first chart is for REAL T6 AIRCRAFT ALUMINUM!! We don't know what Walkera is using really. In the past it was probably more like T3 or T4 aluminum, which is softer and has less density and mass. We can only speculate what the plastic ones are actually made out of. But ABS-like plastic is a good bet.

Either way, i can tell you and i have been looking at the same things.

I do want one of these CNC rotor. There is just NO WAY i am paying the same amount it costs to get a Trex 450 DFC rotor. Then have to buy a second one just so i have spare parts. Honestly, this thing would see more sales. I'm sure it would be installed on MORE helicopters in the world. If they sold the PARTS only/too. Then people could upgrade just the grips one week, the swash the next week and so on.
Last edited by IntegrityHndywrk; Jan 16, 2013 at 12:30 AM.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:20 AM
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,339 Posts
But it looks nice... isn't that all that matters?

thwaitm is online now Find More Posts by thwaitm
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:32 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
5,917 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thwaitm View Post
But it looks nice... isn't that all that matters?

Man, looking at those close up shots, it sure does look nice. For some people, that is all that matters. Thats great! I doubt even those type of fliers will want to pay $50 for it. For that matter. Those kind of people are probably already flying a scale model or something though, right? Or that will be their eventual goal... I wonder if they will release a fuse to go with it
Old Jan 16, 2013, 01:04 AM
Joined Jun 2009
2,129 Posts
Quote:
I doubt even those type of fliers will want to pay $50 for it. For that matter.
OUCH! That's me
I'm a cheap bstrd
Kidding... In fact, I'd rather move the lipo or use a bigger lipo if weight is acontributor factor regarding CG not balanced. Or, maybe I'm using that as an excuse not to spend my $50 towards my 120s.
Seriously though, I'm OK with my 120s. I don't fly them as much anymore anyways.
Been flying the 130s & my 300X more lately.
RCG Plus Member