HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 11, 2013, 09:01 PM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
6,982 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flint723 View Post
v120d02s is not mod .5, I have a bunch of .5 pinions left over from my mini cp and they have bigger teeth. It is mod .4, it just sounds like they sent you the wrong pinion. I ordered mine off ebay as 9t 130x pinion (which is also mod .4)
Well, i figured it out. The equation for pinion modulus i was using was wrong. There are a few ways of calculating it. I was using pitch diameter / tooth count. When what i wanted to be doing was pinion diameter / tooth count. But when you do that equation for the whole pinion's diameter you add 2 to the tooth count. So the pinion ended up being a 0.3m pinion instead. The stock one then does calculate as 0.4m and i have a worthless pinion.

Here is a PDF i reference, but i should have looked twice, or paid more attention to which formula i used.
IntegrityHndywrk is offline Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 11, 2013, 09:14 PM
Heli Crash Survivor
United States, AR, North Little Rock
Joined Feb 2011
1,066 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
What modulus pinions did you order? Are they meshing with the gear well? I think i got a screwy pinion here.

Before maxing your cyclic ext pot. Did you by any chance try flipping the heli forward and backward? Sometimes the neutral pitch of the heli can really effect rotation rate in one direction or the other. Thats why we set zero pitch at neutral. Otherwise the pitch and cyclic pitch ranges can be skewed to one side. So a front flip might be really fast with a slight positive skew, but back flips would be slow, or slower than expected because you need more stick to do it now, and the same the opposite way around.
I'm set at zero pitch at neutral. But I'm talking about my V2 V120 on maxing out cyclic ext pot. V1 is great at 1 & 1/2 O-clock ELEV/AILE EXT. I just started flipping & only front flips on V120 & some inverted also so far on my MCP with a HP05S. I got MO.4 pinions from http://www.shop.kkpmo.com/product_in...roducts_id=602 & they mess up fine.
Crash Survivor is online now Find More Posts by Crash Survivor
Old Jan 11, 2013, 09:49 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,982 Posts
Old Jan 11, 2013, 09:54 PM
Joined Aug 2006
59 Posts
[QUOTE=Crash Survivor;23786968]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk01 View Post

Great flight in this evening between the rain we been having. No drift but did bind with it only on the skids, tail fin not touching no drift at all looking good. This is my V2 which was real close to going to the shelf & still might. Have a V1 on Devo with stock motor which might get the HP08S & a WK 2801 with a HP08S 16500KV & it's awesome. V2 ELEV/AILE G at 11 O-clock. ELEV/AILE EXT at 1 1/2 O-clock not enough, flip rate to slow cause I fly low in my front yard. Think I'll max ELEV/AILE EXT out next time. Got plenty of power HP08S 16500KV. Didn't hear my 4 & 1/2 timer go off and landed at 6 minutes stock battery & still plenty of power but battery was at 3.65V after it cooled off lower than I like. Those who are thinking about going 2S, I would recommend HP08S 16500KV with a 8T. Less weight than stock & no bogging.
it sounds well and good from what you claim above! the EXT pot around the 1o'clock position is already more than what i need. by the way, my travel adj are all at 100%. D/R at 110%, EXP at -10%. with these settings i am already happy with stick banging low to the ground. any faster by increasing the EXT pot on the 3in1 causes the heli to overshoot on cyclics, then you have to correct needlessly...

although i cannot say the same for you since you have a different power setup! maybe the thing will handle more differently as your adjustments indicate. mine is only bone stock. but i am considering to upgrade to higher KV but only 1S... some review the spin motor does well with stock ESC only...
hawk01 is offline Find More Posts by hawk01
Old Jan 11, 2013, 09:57 PM
Joined Oct 2010
1,232 Posts
Name: 2013-01-11_22-51-29_HDR.jpg
Views: 75
Size: 267.6 KB
Description:

I didn't work on looks only by the way, so cool to be able to attach directly from my S3.
pmerritt is offline Find More Posts by pmerritt
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:03 PM
Controls Engineer
United States, NY, Amsterdam
Joined Dec 2012
1,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
Thats why we set zero pitch at neutral.
CCPM Basics: My head hurts a bit. Received my Devo 10 today. Got Deviation running and binding with my 120. Trying to digest the .ini configuration file. OMG it breaks it down to the basics, by channel. Is it 0-100 or -100 to 100. That kind of thing.

Need to get my head screwed on straight so I know everyone zero's their pitch at mid stick. When done how much pitch can I expect at zero stick in normal or Mode 1 on the FMOD switch?
lasakro is offline Find More Posts by lasakro
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:07 PM
Joined Oct 2010
1,232 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasakro View Post
CCPM Basics: My head hurts a bit. Received my Devo 10 today. Got Deviation running and binding with my 120. Trying to digest the .ini configuration file. OMG it breaks it down to the basics, by channel. Is it 0-100 or -100 to 100. That kind of thing.

Need to get my head screwed on straight so I know everyone zero's their pitch at mid stick. When done how much pitch can I expect at zero stick in normal or Mode 1 on the FMOD switch?
It depends on how you set it up. Normal should be maybe a couple of degrees and idle up will be max pitch (negative)
pmerritt is offline Find More Posts by pmerritt
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:22 PM
United Kingdom, England, Sheffield
Joined Jun 2012
1,559 Posts
Thanks for the clarification Zadaw, i'll be aware rolling it. I was really surprised how well the minicp rolled but I don't have much reference yet
microrcfiend is online now Find More Posts by microrcfiend
Old Jan 12, 2013, 12:04 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,982 Posts
Quote:

Well, assuming by "zero stick" you mean all the way down. I typically set mine to be at neutral in "normal" mode all the way up until mid stick, using the pitch curves. I don't usually give neg pitch in "normal" mode. At least not on my bigger ones. But, i also don't fly in normal ever. It's always straight to idle up. So these kinds of things become preference, i would say. As long as neutral is set right with the pitch linkages.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 12:14 AM
Controls Engineer
Joined Dec 2012
1,327 Posts
This Devo 10 is setting up very nice. I was unable to get the old 2603 to have zero pitch at zero stick normal = 50% stick, zero pitch in mode 1. There was always an offset. Not any more. Bye bye 2603.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 12:20 AM
Joined Nov 2011
771 Posts
Quote:

In normal mode I generally allow a couple degrees of negative pitch at low stick, I find it helps takeoffs in gusty winds. I have 0* at mid stick and above that is identical to my IU pitch. I also have my throttle curve set to ramp up hard and then it's horizontal at my IU1 throttle setting.
TucsonFlyer is offline Find More Posts by TucsonFlyer
Old Jan 12, 2013, 02:11 AM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,872 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TucsonFlyer View Post
In normal mode I generally allow a couple degrees of negative pitch at low stick, I find it helps takeoffs in gusty winds. I have 0* at mid stick and above that is identical to my IU pitch. I also have my throttle curve set to ramp up hard and then it's horizontal at my IU1 throttle setting.
+1 to what Tucson said.
thwaitm is online now Find More Posts by thwaitm
Old Jan 12, 2013, 02:32 AM
Controls Engineer
Joined Dec 2012
1,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thwaitm View Post
+1 to what Tucson said.
I grew a pair the other day and finally gave the stunt mode a whirl. Figured what the hay, soft snow crash. I hung onto her and oh boy what a trip. Now I'm paying attn to things I didn't have to worry about in normal flight. Still using it in the living room.

Now that I've got everything mechanically set for zero and equal swash displacement I've noticed it can use more head speed to hold the tail better. Keep in mind normal flight. I'll offset the zero in the tx. The model that Tom Z put out started at -35% pitch and didn't know why. That might to to much so maybe half that.

I'm curious, are these rx capable of negative gyro gain (Rate mode)? His model has it set to 82%. I'll play with that later.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 02:41 AM
Controls Engineer
Joined Dec 2012
1,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BThirsk View Post
For those that have legitimate complaints with Walkera products, they now have contact link on their new forum and someone actually responds.
It may be possible to get some real input to correct design and quality control issue back to them.
FYI. The above came from the "Walk-era and Beyond" thread that kdean started.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 07:06 AM
hoten-x,master-cp,v120d02s,etc
Tampa,FL
Joined Dec 2003
1,195 Posts
Quote:
The model that Tom Z put out started at -35% pitch and didn't know why. That might to to much so maybe half that.

You want some negative pitch even in sport mode (non3d) for a couple reasons....
1- is it really helps when flying in wind since if a gust of wind tries to push the heli up you have some negative pitch to hold you in place rather than just being at the mercy of a up draft.
2- without some negative pitch in sport mode you can't get the heli back down quickly or as smoothly, you may as well be flying a fixed pitch bird.
candy76man is offline Find More Posts by candy76man