HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 17, 2012, 07:59 PM
WIFE HAND LAUNCHED MY PLANES!
Joined Jun 2009
2,201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis MCH View Post
Hey Guys,

I'm not sure if it's the time of year or what but I notice WOW seems to be out of parts more and more often. Helidirect is all but out of everything now....I guess they are going out of business. I needed some new tail booms for my V120D02s and found that RChelistore had plenty and also at a good price. I picked up a few, a new tail shaft and some gears.
Thanks
This is what I use for my 120's. I bought 4 pcs, and have used 2 of them already.
It used to be free shipping...
Fast shipper too.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/160860914990...84.m1439.l2649
Spyro37 is offline Find More Posts by Spyro37
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 130X Build
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 17, 2012, 08:06 PM
United States, TX, New Braunfels
Joined May 2011
489 Posts
thloh85

I'm with you on the weight. My V120D02s flys very nice but a little choppy or rough in the air. I'm used to it and it does not bother me. My V120D05 is heavier and actually flys smoother and more graceful. My pitch changes, flips and rolls are smoother and can be done slower than with the D02s but at the same time......I crash this one more often. Since it's heavier it's harder for me to recover when I get out of shape. The V120D02s is like a sports car that will turn, flip, and recover on a dime if I need it to. It could just be that the tail authoritiy is better on the D02s that on the D05 but the weight of the D05 makes for what I call cleaner flying and more like a bigger heli.

I've had my M120 in pieces for months now. Maybe I need to put her back together now that I fly better and see how the heavier but still shaft drive tail performs in comparrison.
Travis MCH is offline Find More Posts by Travis MCH
Old Dec 17, 2012, 08:12 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TucsonFlyer View Post
I don't think it's negativity, Integrity just has high standards. And really it's an honest assessment of the D02s. You're very right tho, it's a ~100g heli, wind is alot to ask and there is no reason to expect it to anyways.

As to targeting newer fliers I honestly think that's more of a recent thing actually, since the "6-axis" was introduced. Walkera had a 45* flybar line and a coax line for beginners and a 90* flybar line that was as I understood it pretty challenging ( or in the 4G3's case, damn near impossible). With FBL, they're really heading to the center now that the FBL units arn't so sketchy.

In any event I know I've learned a ton from the D02S but it's main strength is that it's got power and it bounces well, beyond that there are other helis for that purpose. At some point physics wins out and a micro just can't hang.

Disclaimer: I'm still power drunk from my 250. Power!, unlimited, bogless POWER! :P
I did that Integrity has started to do tic-tocs, funnels and piro circles. He is obviously doing very well with his Gaui X5. These are stuff that I haven't tried, let alone do in a SIM. I just know they will be very difficult if not impossible with the V120D02s.

What I have been doing for the past few hundred flights was to try to consolidate flips, rolls and loops into some sort of continuous pattern type flying while looking at the heli from the side. That is with a half loop either end and one or two half rolls at the center. This is not easy at all and I am still crashing once every 2-3 flights. This is where I found the 6 axis gyro is noticeably better than the 3 axis gyro.

As to the next stage, I am not sure whether to try some reverse flight or piro 3D. I am really scared of piros in any form. Especially since I have had a few nasty crashes with stall turns.
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw
Last edited by zadaw; Dec 17, 2012 at 08:34 PM.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 08:47 PM
WarpQuad, Flip260FPV, etc.
Tampa,FL
Joined Dec 2003
1,264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyro37 View Post
This is what I use for my 120's. I bought 4 pcs, and have used 2 of them already.
It used to be free shipping...
Fast shipper too.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/160860914990...84.m1439.l2649
I get cf tubes and rods from rcfoam...it's much cheaper to get 3 foot sticks and cut your own. This is what I use for my v120 booms, it fits perfect and I get something like 10 booms out of one stick for 4 bucks. Their shipping is reasonable (and quick) too. I do the same for my minicp booms and any other cf tubes or rods on my heli's. I have a nice little collection of cf now, comes in handy for lots of things in the rc hobby
candy76man is offline Find More Posts by candy76man
Old Dec 17, 2012, 08:54 PM
Heli Crash Survivor
United States, AR, North Little Rock
Joined Feb 2011
1,100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by candy76man View Post
I get cf tubes and rods from rcfoam...it's much cheaper to get 3 foot sticks and cut your own. This is what I use for my v120 booms, it fits perfect and I get something like 10 booms out of one stick for 4 bucks. Their shipping is reasonable (and quick) too. I do the same for my minicp booms and any other cf tubes or rods on my heli's. I have a nice little collection of cf now, comes in handy for lots of things in the rc hobby
Whats your method of cutting the booms?
Crash Survivor is offline Find More Posts by Crash Survivor
Old Dec 17, 2012, 09:50 PM
Certified Heli Addict
United States, MI, Cadillac
Joined Apr 2011
995 Posts
Quote:
If you know the size for the Mini CP or Genius CP could you share that info please
RaymondM is offline Find More Posts by RaymondM
Old Dec 17, 2012, 09:52 PM
Tampa,FL
Joined Dec 2003
1,264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash Survivor View Post
Whats your method of cutting the booms?
I was using a cutoff wheel on my dremel and then cleaning up the cut with a diamond coated bit but I recently bought this mini tablesaw with a diamond coated blade that I use now.
Regardless of what you use, the basic idea is you don't cut cf, you grind through it.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 09:54 PM
Tampa,FL
Joined Dec 2003
1,264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondM View Post
If you know the size for the Mini CP or Genius CP could you share that info please
This is a perfect match for the genius/minicp boom
Old Dec 17, 2012, 09:56 PM
Certified Heli Addict
United States, MI, Cadillac
Joined Apr 2011
995 Posts
Thanks candy76man, you saved me a lot of money!
RaymondM is offline Find More Posts by RaymondM
Old Dec 17, 2012, 10:05 PM
WIFE HAND LAUNCHED MY PLANES!
Joined Jun 2009
2,201 Posts
Quote:
NICE find
I just checked the S&H within USA, $8.
Not bad if buying a few pcs. (1000m lengths of CFs) for other projects.
Spyro37 is offline Find More Posts by Spyro37
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 130X Build
Old Dec 17, 2012, 10:11 PM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
7,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash Survivor View Post
Mod 4 pinions are hard to find at 7T & 8T in the states. But Mikroantriebe in England makes any size I could ever need. They come out to around $8.00 a piece & are slip on & I use red loctite. Very nice quality.
http://www.shop.kkpmo.com/index.php?cPath=21_32
Yeah, thats who i normally use. I've just been lazy because it takes so long to get them and i really don't fly the heli anymore. I really wouldn't doubt it it will help out a lot. But motor bog aside. I still have more trouble stabilizing this thing, it seems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TucsonFlyer View Post
I don't think it's negativity, Integrity just has high standards. And really it's an honest assessment of the D02s. You're very right tho, it's a ~100g heli, wind is alot to ask and there is no reason to expect it to anyways.

As to targeting newer fliers I honestly think that's more of a recent thing actually, since the "6-axis" was introduced. Walkera had a 45* flybar line and a coax line for beginners and a 90* flybar line that was as I understood it pretty challenging ( or in the 4G3's case, damn near impossible). With FBL, they're really heading to the center now that the FBL units arn't so sketchy.

In any event I know I've learned a ton from the D02S but it's main strength is that it's got power and it bounces well, beyond that there are other helis for that purpose. At some point physics wins out and a micro just can't hang.

Disclaimer: I'm still power drunk from my 250. Power!, unlimited, bogless POWER! :P
+1, i think you understand me.

HELL YEAH, about the 250, the difference in power to weight ratio and consistency of that power is really a big difference from anything in the 120 class. The real problem with the 120 size is that it's trying to push all that weight around with a 1S pack. To be honest, i'll bet the V120 would be much more capable of what i want it to do with a 2S setup. But I'm just so tired of spending money on the same helicopter. I'm thankful that the V450 is actually running really well now though. You know, the added weight from a 2S pack and everything might not even be worth it too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmerritt View Post
I totally agree and it's why i have a 450, a 500 and soon to have a Gaui X2....i keep going smaller...hehe. Reason i went smaller instead of bigger is two fold. Bigger is also more expensive in nearly every way (especially batteries) and the other thing is i get tired of having to drive miles to go somewhere i can fly. I'm kinda diggin the smaller birds also, i never really got past the stage of treating my 500 like flying a piece of glass. Next flying season though....i promised myself to flip it some. I recognize I will never get over my fear if i don't try.
Like you, i wanted something small that i didn't have to dive all the way to my big fields for. I really wanted a nice 250 size for flying near my house. But honestly i have WAY to many options for flying fields, very close to home. So i ended up with a X5. The Gaui X2 is really nice and it's my main choice for a 250. Especially now that i know i can trust the Gaui product 100%. Though i have one gripe about Gaui. Their screws rust! But i live in a high humidity coastal location. Everything rusts here, EXCEPT MY WALKERA SCREWS!! Anyway, I have no more concerns about the high cost of the blades and the heli in general. Because i now know what it means to fly on a BeastX helicopter. I don't expect to be doing much crashing with Gaui provided electronics. Unlike my Walkera experience. Honestly, the Gaui X5, two months later, is FAST approaching being cheaper than my V450 was by the end of 2-3 months. It was just a constant cash dump in blades, main gears, 2-3 ESCs, SERVOS, MORE SERVOS, AND MORE SERVOS, till i finally bought a $150 set of Savox and stopped replacing servos. That was just the first month or two and that was all BEFORE my 2702V started locking out the TX. Being the rookie that i was, i was doing hard pitch changes on flips and things. Probably pushing that thing to it's limit more so because of the rookie pitch changes i provided. So i say, "3D helicopter"..... my ass. LOL, Yeah, i think i have a right to be bitter towards Walkera. Just a little bit.

I flipped my X5 by like the 2 or 3rd flight i think. After crashing my V450 countless (literally, horridly, an absurd amount of crashing due to the electronics) times. I really couldn't have any more fear about it. I accept that crashing IS an eventuality. I just want to avoid it. I went into my X5 with absolutely no trust in heli electronics because of Walkera. But thats all changed. Now, my biggest fears of flying my big birds have always been two things. Flying too high because of constant low flying aircraft in my air space and flying too high, at high speeds and loosing the heli while it darts off where people and cars are (the movie theater i fly at, or the high school, right behind me when I'm flying) But now i fly at a new field where i feel MUCH more comfortable with high speed maneuvers.

Quote:
Hey Guys,

I'm not sure if it's the time of year or what but I notice WOW seems to be out of parts more and more often. Helidirect is all but out of everything now....I guess they are going out of business. I needed some new tail booms for my V120D02s and found that RChelistore had plenty and also at a good price. I picked up a few, a new tail shaft and some gears. I ordered late Friday PM and the box showed up today. I could not belive it. This was with around $6 for USPS shipping and Bob threw in a candy cane and some suckers I gave to my 3 year old. He's in North Carolina, I guess, and I'm in Texas but that's still very fast!

What a deal! This will be my new source for heli parts and thought I would pass along my good fortune.

Thanks
I think you mean helircstore.com? not RChelistore?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thloh85 View Post
Well, I have a 250DFC, just don't have the courage to tic tock that beast, as crashes means $$$ in that tiny beast
BTW, Trex250 flies quite a bit nicer than v120, maybe its the weight that made it feels better.
The 250DFC uses a 3S pack on a fairly light bird. It's capable out outputting a lot of power for that little frame. Plus the bigger you go on rotor size, the more stable the heli will be. The weight also helps for wind stability. Unlike the V120 that is light and uses a 1S pack and is limited to the internal capacitance and discharge ability of the small 1S packs. I have had the V120 screaming with high discharge packs. The problem I've faced with this heli is two fold. Not only do the 1S packs not seem to keep the motor running consistently for me. But it also seems that MOST all of the higher discharge packs, that do help with keeping the motor running consistent. Or any of the packs i've used for this heli that were not the stock battery. They seem to degrade quickly and are literally useless after that. However the "fullriver" stock batteries have not degraded much at all, continue to output power and generally are the best damn lipos I've used in this hobby. Surprisingly enough. I just think the V120D02S with a 2S setup would suit me better. I'm just not going to spend the quite sizable sum to upgrade everything, again.

Quote:
I think i'll mention this again. Since switching to the KDBB main blades. I don't think i've cracked a boom, broken a rotor head or thrown a rudder rod. I don't even use tape on the rudder push rod guide anymore to hold it from being tossed. Though, obviously, as i stated before. I have not been flying the V120 nearly as much as i once did. Though i have had to replace the blades a few times from the rudder rod SLICING the blade. I also chipped a corner off the tip of one of the blades, surprisingly. This plastic doesn't seem like the "crack & chip" type.
IntegrityHndywrk is offline Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Last edited by IntegrityHndywrk; Dec 17, 2012 at 11:41 PM.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 11:38 PM
United States, OR, Vernonia
Joined Dec 2004
126 Posts
Quote:
Hey Guys,

I'm not sure if it's the time of year or what but I notice WOW seems to be out of parts more and more often. Helidirect is all but out of everything now....I guess they are going out of business. I needed some new tail booms for my V120D02s and found that RChelistore had plenty and also at a good price. I picked up a few, a new tail shaft and some gears. I ordered late Friday PM and the box showed up today. I could not belive it. This was with around $6 for USPS shipping and Bob threw in a candy cane and some suckers I gave to my 3 year old. He's in North Carolina, I guess, and I'm in Texas but that's still very fast!

What a deal! This will be my new source for heli parts and thought I would pass along my good fortune.

Thanks
I order my shaft stock for R2hobbies. They are 1.17 for a 3 foot stick i got 10 sticks on the last order for 22.00 dollars including shipping

Carbon Fiber Square Tube 3.0mm x 3.0mm x 2.0mm X 1000mm rcps81952_303020 $1.17
I cut my booms on a band saw and made a wood jig to saw then all the same. If you cut them about 1/8 inch short they work perfect.
iflyrvs1 is offline Find More Posts by iflyrvs1
Old Dec 18, 2012, 01:57 AM
Taiwan
Joined Oct 2007
126 Posts
Merry Christmas guys

Never had said that V120 is a great heli, it's no doubt that I will definitely fly better and learn faster with 130X, 250, and most larger heli than V120. But that is not the purpose I came here, there are too many discussions around the good and bad that may keep peoples from going ahead.

It is sad that no one talk about the great pirouette on my V120 without obvious leaning, even better than my NANO CPX at sometimes!
The old RX-2622V is not that bad making troubles if you know how to treat it.
Pirouette leaning is an old story on all Walkera's helis, it never doing well before I lean the gyro to the left a bit that learned from NANO CPX, plus I move CG a little bit backward that make it pirouette much better than ever.
ej189 is online now Find More Posts by ej189
Old Dec 18, 2012, 08:23 AM
United States, MN, Otsego
Joined Dec 2010
389 Posts
Quote:
Hey Guys,

Thanks
I have placed a few orders with Bob at HeliRCStore and each time the service was fast. The prices are good nd the service is great! My first order I had a few questions before the order and he responded via email almost immediately! Customer Service BEFORE the sale??? Who does that?!

This time of year it seems that many vendors begin to run low on stock. Chinese new year is coming up soon after the first of the year as well. Just a short warning note here that if you think there is something you may need, stock up soon. I remember last year until almost March it was nearly impossible to get some things especially if they had to come from China.

Better to be prepared!

Jim
jcmors is offline Find More Posts by jcmors
Old Dec 18, 2012, 12:42 PM
Controls Engineer
United States, NY, Amsterdam
Joined Dec 2012
1,327 Posts
Thanks for info about rcfoam and the new year market. I've already noticed very low stock when trying to find a new V120D02S as a backup. I love my first one which is a WK. I have a used one on the way with a Devo Rx. I'm just a beginner CP pilot so I ask the experts.... Should I pick up a RX2622V for the 120 so that I can use my 2801, I have 4 other WK heli's, or should I pickup a Devo 7 for around the same price as the WK Rx? I guess I really don't know if 3 more axis are worth it for someone who wants to work on their CP skills. I got the impression that the 6-axis are kind of like training wheels. Bob
lasakro is offline Find More Posts by lasakro