HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Dec 13, 2012, 08:11 PM
Registered User
United States, ND, Bismarck
Joined Mar 2012
297 Posts
Well at least this means they are planning to keep making the v120d02s for a while longer.
flint723 is online now Find More Posts by flint723
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 13, 2012, 09:25 PM
IHW Heli Division
IntegrityHndywrk's Avatar
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
6,979 Posts
I just hope it's not as easily damaged in a cash as the V120D05 rotor head or 4f200 swash and blade grips were. The balls would strip out of the holes in a crash. Plastic really keeps proving it's self in these 120/130 sizes. But if they upped the hardness of the alloy, as ehirobo said. Well, one could only hope that it's hard enough to hold the ball links in during a crash now. The D02 has bigger links than the D05 did too, but not as big as the 4f200. They just had buttery soft alloy to boot. So maybe the screw part of the ball links on the d02S is bigger now. That would also be a help over the older design on the D05 swash and grips. But that was always the case with the 4f200 or the V120D05. Stripped ball link holes. Now i have a V120D02S plastic rotor head on my V120D05 and it's only damage has been anti rotation arms on the $3 rotor head. But i have not even broken those in a while since getting the KDBB blades. I would like to think with the KDBB blades and a sheer pin on the main gear. Even these nice CNC "upgrades" would probably be much less prone to damages. But i think they would be best for someone that does not crash often as i do.

The real big, MAJOR question for me is. What does the whole thing weigh in comparison to the parts it's replacing? If it's heavier, as i expect it to be a few grams more, there is no point really. At least if your doing 3D, the lighter the better. There is only one way to tell, i suppose.

It sure would look nicer though.
IntegrityHndywrk is offline Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 09:29 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,167 Posts
I would have liked to see hardened skids first. I rarely damage the head, blades, and swashplate.
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:09 PM
Registered User
United States, ND, Bismarck
Joined Mar 2012
297 Posts
Yeah I definitely don't plan to get one. I've never damaged my plastic rotor head.
flint723 is online now Find More Posts by flint723
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:32 PM
Registered User
Hong Kong
Joined Nov 2008
922 Posts
ya, to be honest. I have not damage my d02s plastic head yet. I just installed it in mine and took a quick flight outsite the office. This head feel more precise compare to plastic items. The heli response to stick input much better than plastic item.
ehirobo is offline Find More Posts by ehirobo
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:33 PM
Folding Spacetime
navigator2011's Avatar
United States, CA, Fullerton
Joined Jul 2011
1,967 Posts
I damaged my rotor head, put I deep gouge in it and the heli flies just fine. If it was metal, it would be warped for sure.
navigator2011 is online now Find More Posts by navigator2011
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:37 PM
Registered User
United States, OR, Vernonia
Joined Dec 2004
126 Posts
I have damaged a few of the head rotors but at 43.00 I'd have to damage 12 or 13 to make it cost effective. I have never considered this a weak part.
iflyrvs1 is offline Find More Posts by iflyrvs1
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 12:55 AM
Registered User
Joined Jun 2011
567 Posts
y would u need a cnc head if the plastic ones is so durable and good looking? apart from that i think it might be lighter too......
eugenechong is offline Find More Posts by eugenechong
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 01:11 AM
Deviant
sbstnp's Avatar
Joined Jul 2012
1,167 Posts
Don't quote me on this but I think the Solo Pro 180 head, grips and swash(??) fit the d02s and they are like $25 at HK. Oh and they are blue CNC, so full bling.
sbstnp is online now Find More Posts by sbstnp
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 01:15 AM
IHW Heli Division
IntegrityHndywrk's Avatar
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
6,979 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eugenechong View Post
y would u need a cnc head if the plastic ones is so durable and good looking? apart from that i think it might be lighter too......
I think it's mostly for the "scale flight" type guys. Or at least the ones that enjoy looking at their models as much as flying them. Besides that. Some people, like me, have been highly critical of plastic parts. But for me it's always been for their bigger models like the 450 size. Perhaps they are doing upgrades as a means of making more money and providing a cheap start heli that can later get CNC parts. Not such a bad idea really. Just not with these smaller models. Plastic has proven to be far more successful. Walkera knows that too. Because that is one of the reasons why the V120D02S has been so successful. But for me, i crash too much. It's too expensive. Besides worrying about breaking the ball links off and stripping the holes out. When i scratch or nick the plastic ones. They stay black. But it's sure going to be a nice looking upgrade

I can just see them sitting around the board room.. Wondering why they made so much more money on previous 120 size parts sales. Meanwhile the V120D02S parts sales are for a few specific parts here and there. I can see them discussing how they could get some of that capital back. Brainstorm! "Lets release CNC "Upgrades", yeah. Thats it!". Otherwise, the unlimited amount of 130X upgrades spurred them into releasing some of their own. Since microheli and extreme don't seem to make any upgrades for Walkera helis anymore.
IntegrityHndywrk is offline Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Last edited by IntegrityHndywrk; Dec 14, 2012 at 01:23 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 01:27 AM
Registered User
Joined Jun 2011
567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
I think it's mostly for the "scale flight" type guys. Or at least the ones that enjoy looking at their models as much as flying them. Besides that. Some people, like me, have been highly critical of plastic parts. But for me it's always been for their bigger models like the 450 size. Perhaps they are doing upgrades as a means of making more money and providing a cheap start heli that can later get CNC parts. Not such a bad idea really. Just not with these smaller models. Plastic has proven to be far more successful. Walkera knows that too. Because that is one of the reasons why the V120D02S has been so successful. But for me, i crash too much. It's too expensive. Besides worrying about breaking the ball links off and stripping the holes out. When i scratch or nick the plastic ones. They stay black. But it's sure going to be a nice looking upgrade

I can just see them sitting around the board room.. Wondering why they made so much more money on previous 120 size parts sales. Meanwhile the V120D02S parts sales are for a few specific parts here and there. I can see them discussing how they could get some of that capital back. Brainstorm! "Lets release CNC "Upgrades", yeah. Thats it!". Otherwise, the unlimited amount of 130X upgrades spurred them into releasing some of their own. Since microheli and extreme don't seem to make any upgrades for Walkera helis anymore.
haha well said....!! maybe later LED for ladybird too.....i'm slowly moving out from walkera like u did too integrity.....i wished i would have spent the money on a gaui or align from the very beginning....or even the clones like alzrc or tarot....no one showed me how to fly or build over here as i'm the lone ranger....at least now i got a neighbour who is into it n fly with me....n that he is my only flying buddy. well, i still like to fly the 120d02s and brings one with me in the car all the time and fly whenever i pass by a field to kill my time....hahaha

but ya....walkera....i still love it....but it's time to move on mate.... =)
eugenechong is offline Find More Posts by eugenechong
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 01:37 AM
IHW Heli Division
IntegrityHndywrk's Avatar
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
6,979 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eugenechong View Post
haha well said....!! maybe later LED for ladybird too.....i'm slowly moving out from walkera like u did too integrity.....i wished i would have spent the money on a gaui or align from the very beginning....or even the clones like alzrc or tarot....no one showed me how to fly or build over here as i'm the lone ranger....at least now i got a neighbour who is into it n fly with me....n that he is my only flying buddy. well, i still like to fly the 120d02s and brings one with me in the car all the time and fly whenever i pass by a field to kill my time....hahaha

but ya....walkera....i still love it....but it's time to move on mate.... =)
Yeah, i still love my D02S, and my D05 custom too. I fly them in my yard some times and keep them in my car too. But if it's windy(always is), i usually end up crashing. But the only damage is usually the sheer pin on the main gear. I'm just glad even my V450 stays in the air now. But i want to sell one of them and either build another X5 or a Alzrc 480 Devil. Though the funny part is that a X5 airframe will cost me about the same as a 480 Devil. So if the guy still had it for sale, I'm building another X5 naturally. Maybe i'll sell both of my 450s then. Though honestly, whats the point of having two X5s unless one is for a backup after a crash. I can't very well fly both of them the same day. Thats seems kind of pointless. When they use the same size packs and everything. So i keep ending back up at the 480 devil, even though i want that X5 airframe too.
IntegrityHndywrk is offline Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 02:37 AM
Registered User
Joined Jun 2011
567 Posts
I would suggest u to sell whole lot n keep just the x5 and build a 700 size. and then just keep both. but make sure one 120 stays as it is aways fun to bring it around hehe
eugenechong is offline Find More Posts by eugenechong
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 03:02 AM
IHW Heli Division
IntegrityHndywrk's Avatar
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
6,979 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eugenechong View Post
I would suggest u to sell whole lot n keep just the x5 and build a 700 size. and then just keep both. but make sure one 120 stays as it is aways fun to bring it around hehe
Humm, you make an interesting case. But i don't think i can afford a 700 size. Especially in a crash. The cost of a X7 is around $1200 for just the airframe and a motor. Still need really good and expensive servos and a gyro/rx which will put the whole project up around $2000. A set of blades alone for a 700 is like $100 or more. I would love to have a X7 or even more so a Goblin 770 While i'm dreaming even the Align 800 would be nice. But seriously. Even if i sold all my other helicopters except the X5. I don't think i would come close enough to just the cost of a X7 airframe. Plus i don't have all that much room in my car to haul these all around . It might end up being the X7 OR the X5 when i go flying. The 450 is a pretty good size because i can fly that at the park by my house when ever. It's not too big. The X5/X7 kind of is. The 480 Devil is a nice little size bigger. Just under a 500 size, actually. I guess it's basically a 450 stretch that uses 6S and longer main blades. Up to 350 or 360mm. I forget. Pretty nice.

I don't know if i could sell either of my V120 size. Because the D05 custom has to much invested, the market would be small for someone that would want to pay more for a heli just because it's a belt drive. Durable as it is. It cost me too much to really sell. the D02 is just not valuable enough to sell, it's also durable as hell. So i don't mind that they always crash on me Maybe i should revisit the indoor flying endeavor now that my skills are much better.
IntegrityHndywrk is offline Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 08:05 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,167 Posts
I think the main reason to get two of the same model is that you have a backup in case of a crash. Since you aren't crashing the X5, I don't see any point in getting another one.
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion new heli from walkera HIKO400? xyzy2 Micro Helis 15 Jan 12, 2012 11:16 AM
Sold Align 70A ESC W/BEC from 500/550 class Heli NEW! HD Hucker Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 3 Oct 13, 2011 12:37 PM
Discussion Ultra Durable Diamond Mini Gyro 3 Channel Indoor Ready to Fly RC Remote Control Heli LittleG Coaxial Helicopters 32 Jan 14, 2011 12:55 PM
Discussion Walker 4#3 throttle problem Ė new heli Ronon Micro Helis 2 Jan 24, 2009 04:22 PM