HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 09, 2012, 12:41 PM
V120D02S, GCP
United States, CA, Pasadena
Joined Feb 2012
142 Posts
Anyone have tips on how they lube BL motors?

I had to rotate gears in my elevator servo, which I've done successfully on other servos before but this time after reassembly the servo instantly rotated back to the bad spot. What did I do wrong in rotating them? Boy were those some crazy flights with a sticky servo. Go to pull up a bit and nothing, then back flip, LOL.

Anyone using the servo saver mod on this heli? Worth it?

Oh, Anyone have tips on pulling the main gear pins? I bend them every time using cutters to pry them out.
LarsDennert is offline Find More Posts by LarsDennert
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 09, 2012, 01:25 PM
Micro Helicopter Electrician
Central California Coast
Joined May 2008
2,667 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsDennert View Post
There's a bearing at the base of the motor where the shaft comes out. A little lubricant on that bearing will do the trick.

I like to use Tuf-Glide which is a dry film lubricant that bonds to the metal and leaves absolutely no residue to attract dust and dirt. I've been using it on my firearms for years.

Regards
John
1Hammer is online now Find More Posts by 1Hammer
Last edited by 1Hammer; Dec 09, 2012 at 01:31 PM.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 01:34 PM
Heli Crash Survivor
United States, AR, North Little Rock
Joined Feb 2011
1,053 Posts
Quote:

I had to rotate gears in my elevator servo, which I've done successfully on other servos before but this time after reassembly the servo instantly rotated back to the bad spot. What did I do wrong in rotating them? Boy were those some crazy flights with a sticky servo. Go to pull up a bit and nothing, then back flip, LOL.

Oh, Anyone have tips on pulling the main gear pins? I bend them every time using cutters to pry them out.
I always set to center pitch pull battery & take servo apart, if it's the large gears you can rotate if a small gear it will have to be replaced.
I use needle nose against gear & pin & press one side through & take side pushed through with needle nose & pull & twist out, not easy but can be done, I have never bent a pin.
Crash Survivor is online now Find More Posts by Crash Survivor
Old Dec 09, 2012, 01:39 PM
Heli Crash Survivor
Joined Feb 2011
1,053 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Hammer View Post
There's a bearing at the base of the motor where the shaft comes out. A little lubricant on that bearing will do the trick.

I like to use Tuf-Glide which is a dry film lubricant that bonds to the metal and leaves absolutely no residue to attract dust and dirt. I've been using it on my firearms for years.

Regards
John
+1 I have a 1 1/4oz pin applicator of tuf-glide I use on all my bearings.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 05:41 PM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
6,856 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash Survivor View Post
I pulled the pin plug off an old CB100 motor & put on it. Wanted to stay plug & play if I want to put that motor on one of my other 3 V120D02S's later on. Starts up great & working good.
Sweet, thats the exact reason why i wanted the plugs. Just in case i wanted to switch them around. I think the 215 motor really needs to be geared down some to keep the bogging from happening. I suppose having the higher head speeds is only good if you can maintain them in the wind. If not, whats the point, it's not keeping you stable and having pitch authority in the wind when it bogs.

V120D02S-Pro - 3D Flight - 12-08-12 (0 min 0 sec)
IntegrityHndywrk is online now Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Old Dec 09, 2012, 06:18 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,856 Posts
Last edited by IntegrityHndywrk; Dec 09, 2012 at 09:52 PM.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 06:38 PM
Heli Crash Survivor
Joined Feb 2011
1,053 Posts
I'm no where close to as good as you can fly, but it was pretty windy/gusty today. I fly in my front yard & usually the house blocks the wind, but today it had my heli pitching up & down a lot. I put one battery threw with a bunch of flips & FF flight with no incident, but some close flips 3 feet by my face pulling out with negative pitch due to the wind. I walked in the house & told my wife what a rush & put everything up in perfect working order. I sit in a chair when I fly & rest my TX on my leg & my right hand upside down due to nerve damage I call my claw due to fingers are locked in a position like you hold a beer. Pinky & pinky side of ring finger are all that have any sense of feeling which is were I place my cyclic TX stick. So all in all another great day. Now I'm putting all my batteries in storage mode due to a week coming of cold, stormy & windy weather.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 07:26 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,856 Posts
Quote:
I'm no where close to as good as you can fly, but it was pretty windy/gusty today. I fly in my front yard & usually the house blocks the wind, but today it had my heli pitching up & down a lot. I put one battery threw with a bunch of flips & FF flight with no incident, but some close flips 3 feet by my face pulling out with negative pitch due to the wind. I walked in the house & told my wife what a rush & put everything up in perfect working order. I sit in a chair when I fly & rest my TX on my leg & my right hand upside down due to nerve damage I call my claw due to fingers are locked in a position like you hold a beer. Pinky & pinky side of ring finger are all that have any sense of feeling which is were I place my cyclic TX stick. So all in all another great day. Now I'm putting all my batteries in storage mode due to a week coming of cold, stormy & windy weather.

Oh, come on. I'm not really that good. I'm sure if you got to fly every single day (before daylight savings time) you would be doing better too. I just do things like this. I go FULL OUT or i don't do it at all. The problem is, now that i'm at the very much intermediate level. I'm getting board. I think it might be time to hit the sim hard again and practice some new moves like piro flips! I'm sure that will keep me from getting bored.

Sucks that you have that injury. But i like the story. Persistence in the face of adversity. Human strength and endurance along will will power and the execution of it all. It's something that makes me feel good and inspires me in many ways. Not that your injured, thats horrible. But what you do with it. It's interesting what people do when you don't expect them to be able to. I was a DJ and producer for over 10 years. In the process i met some interesting people. Including 3 deaf DJs. One of them had a movie made about him called "It's all gone Pete Tong". It's actually a really good movie. But it's really interesting what some people can/will do when you count them out. From what it sounds like. Most people probably wouldn't expect you to be able to fly RC just by looking?

Look at the bright side. At least you can't feel your hand going numb from the cold anymore right? I was running for the car @ 50° because of the wind chill. Lucky for me i have all the way till Jan-Feb till i even see a frost at night. That might last a few weeks at most. Then it will be right back to 80° from 9am on till 5pm. Or at least in the 70s. We might get some crappy days where it's over cast and then it ends up being, at the coldest, 40-50° during the day. Yeah, we have nice weather. But everything else here sucks.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 08:27 PM
Heli Crash Survivor
Joined Feb 2011
1,053 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
Oh, come on. I'm not really that good. I'm sure if you got to fly every single day (before daylight savings time) you would be doing better too. I just do things like this. I go FULL OUT or i don't do it at all. The problem is, now that i'm at the very much intermediate level. I'm getting board. I think it might be time to hit the sim hard again and practice some new moves like piro flips! I'm sure that will keep me from getting bored.

Sucks that you have that injury. But i like the story. Persistence in the face of adversity. Human strength and endurance along will will power and the execution of it all. It's something that makes me feel good and inspires me in many ways. Not that your injured, thats horrible. But what you do with it. It's interesting what people do when you don't expect them to be able to. I was a DJ and producer for over 10 years. In the process i met some interesting people. Including 3 deaf DJs. One of them had a movie made about him called "It's all gone Pete Tong". It's actually a really good movie. But it's really interesting what some people can/will do when you count them out. From what it sounds like. Most people probably wouldn't expect you to be able to fly RC just by looking?

Look at the bright side. At least you can't feel your hand going numb from the cold anymore right? I was running for the car @ 50° because of the wind chill. Lucky for me i have all the way till Jan-Feb till i even see a frost at night. That might last a few weeks at most. Then it will be right back to 80° from 9am on till 5pm. Or at least in the 70s. We might get some crappy days where it's over cast and then it ends up being, at the coldest, 40-50° during the day. Yeah, we have nice weather. But everything else here sucks.
You one cool guy, thanks a lot. I kick my self in the butt for not trying flips & inverted sooner it's been a blast. Hey I'm 53 & got a 2 & 1/2 year old daughter, it's all good.My Son that's now 25 & at 7 flying my airplanes if I corrected him would throw the TX down & I would have to pick up to save the plane. Which now my Son & best friend, which I introduced to planes & helis are out flying me. But they did the cars also which I think makes there orientation better. RC has always been my longest lasting hobby/interest. Can't wait for better weather I'm getting there.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 08:55 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,856 Posts
Quote:
You one cool guy, thanks a lot. I kick my self in the butt for not trying flips & inverted sooner it's been a blast. Hey I'm 53 & got a 2 & 1/2 year old daughter, it's all good.My Son that's now 25 & at 7 flying my airplanes if I corrected him would throw the TX down & I would have to pick up to save the plane. Which now my Son & best friend, which I introduced to planes & helis are out flying me. But they did the cars also which I think makes there orientation better. RC has always been my longest lasting hobby/interest. Can't wait for better weather I'm getting there.
Thats awesome man. Nothing like having more kids to keep you young, or drive you into an early grave I'd probably have my own if i could find someone to put up with me long enough to have them. When i was about 12 years old or something like that. My dad got this old gas foam plane from someone, for some thing or another. He thought i would love it! It didn't work, but i spent HOURS working on it. Fixing the foam, getting all the parts together. Then it was time to get the motor running. Talk about frustrating. I don't even remember what kind of fuel it used but it had a glow plug. I finally managed to clean up the motor and get the thing started a year later or something. I just couldn't lock the motor in without a part i was missing. Back then, things were different. There was no "www" dot any god damn thing. LOL. Actually back then i was one of the only people i knew that even had an internet browser on my computer for windows 3.1. Because back then ISPs didn't even really exist. I think AOL was just rolling out and i hated it. I was hacking a connection via 1200bps modem though embry riddle university. I remember getting the root user name and pass word thinking. "Thats weird how easy it was for a 12 year old to do". I tried looking "online" for the part, but there were no online stores. Just information and hopefully some contact numbers or something. I tried finding a phone number to call to get the part. But nothing was helping me out back then. All of a sudden one day i went out to the garage and it was missing! My labor of love for over a year was just gone!!! My crackhead brother sold it on me! WTH MAN!!! That ended my endeavors into RC flight until last march. Don't worry, sounds messed up right? My brother has done much worse to me and my family. This was nothing. Still, i might have been flying this whole time if it wasn't for that.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 09:38 PM
Heli Crash Survivor
Joined Feb 2011
1,053 Posts
Quote:
Thats awesome man. Nothing like having more kids to keep you young, or drive you into an early grave I'd probably have my own if i could find someone to put up with me long enough to have them. When i was about 12 years old or something like that. My dad got this old gas foam plane from someone, for some thing or another. He thought i would love it! It didn't work, but i spent HOURS working on it. Fixing the foam, getting all the parts together. Then it was time to get the motor running. Talk about frustrating. I don't even remember what kind of fuel it used but it had a glow plug. I finally managed to clean up the motor and get the thing started a year later or something. I just couldn't lock the motor in without a part i was missing. Back then, things were different. There was no "www" dot any god damn thing. LOL. Actually back then i was one of the only people i knew that even had an internet browser on my computer for windows 3.1. Because back then ISPs didn't even really exist. I think AOL was just rolling out and i hated it. I was hacking a connection via 1200bps modem though embry riddle university. I remember getting the root user name and pass word thinking. "Thats weird how easy it was for a 12 year old to do". I tried looking "online" for the part, but there were no online stores. Just information and hopefully some contact numbers or something. I tried finding a phone number to call to get the part. But nothing was helping me out back then. All of a sudden one day i went out to the garage and it was missing! My labor of love for over a year was just gone!!! My crackhead brother sold it on me! WTH MAN!!! That ended my endeavors into RC flight until last march. Don't worry, sounds messed up right? My brother has done much worse to me and my family. This was nothing. Still, i might have been flying this whole time if it wasn't for that.
Only flying since last March, you have very good skills & ability good job. My older brother didn't really mess with me but did pawn my telescope, & later joined the Navy came back after Navy jail or something for hash & then went to Mexico for Cocaine got freaked out/Poisoned or something & hasn't spook a word since then. He is like a vegetable now.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 10:04 PM
Folding Spacetime
United States, CA, Fullerton
Joined Jul 2011
1,967 Posts
Quote:
My older brother didn't really mess with me but did pawn my telescope, & later joined the Navy came back after Navy jail or something for hash & then went to Mexico for Cocaine got freaked out/Poisoned or something & hasn't spook a word since then. He is like a vegetable now.
My younger brother also went to Mexico back in '07 for some sort of non-FDA approved cure for crack Cocaine--he had a pulmonary embolism and passed away down there at 33 years old, leaving behind two young children. Man, what's the deal with brothers anyway?

My first exposure to RC was actually those cheesy .049 motorized airplanes that are controlled by strings that are held in the hand. If everything worked correctly, you'd go in a circle keeping the airplane from going too high or low. Once I hit the ground so hard, the motor was ejected from the plane, flew a good 30 feet toward my house, flew within inches of my mother, and shattered a front window behind her. Needless to say, that particular motor never did work again.
navigator2011 is offline Find More Posts by navigator2011
Old Dec 09, 2012, 10:11 PM
Joined Jun 2011
567 Posts
Quote:
The motors will go bad if you don't keep them lubed. At least the internal bearings will. But yes, i have had 2 motors do this to me. One was the original stock motor after about 6 months or so. The other was a Turbo Ace 215, that was actually sent to me broken like this by a RCG member. I was able to fix the motor by using a little bit of thread lock (very CAREFULLY, so not to get it in the bearings). There is a little brass bushing that is pressed on the shaft under the pinion to hold the outrunner bell on the motor. It becomes worn and slips down the shaft.I had to use a brass tube that i had laying around to cut for bushings for other parts. It was just a little wider than the shaft so i could pull the pinion off and use the brass tube to push the bushing back down. I suppose forked object would work too. The tiny amount of thread lock i applied with a needle tip seems to have held it together pretty well. It worked well enough to fix the Turbo Ace. It did fix the shaft/bell on the stock motor too. But i had never oiled the stock motor bearings so they were really rough feeling and gritty. So i never tried using the motor again. I'm sure it will still run but with bearings like that, the performance couldn't have been great.
Hi integrity,

I do lube them every now and then.....the motor cap came out when i had a crash...not a big one though....so i put on some r48 thread lock and it helf it there for awhile but lost it again when i put on full throttle. i might just put it aside for now but just feel that it is wasted to chuck it away. =(
eugenechong is offline Find More Posts by eugenechong
Old Dec 09, 2012, 10:22 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,856 Posts
Quote:

This is what i use to oil all my bearings:

On servo gear replacements. Replace the gears for like $3. Gear sets available at different places for different prices. I ordered 10 sets from oomodel and i have not had to really replace them at all since. I replaced my CF canopy pin with a paper clip. It's a little bit too thin fitting the hole so i bent it in a curl bar like shape to hold it in place a little better. I then bend the tips a little bit with needle nose pliers to make a little L shape so the canopy doesn't pop off easily. In a crash the paper clip bends when the servos receive an impact and they pop right out of their, now looser servo brackets. I also loosen the inside screw for the elevator servo bracket just a little bit. Not enough that the elevator can wiggle, but just enough that there is a little slack so the plastic can flex a little more and give on the one side. So far i really don't ever replace servos or servo gears on this heli. Since march, maybe 2-3 total whole servos purchased. I still have about 7-8 sets of replacement gears out of the original 10. Maybe I'm just good at throttle cutting too and always fly over grass and sand.

Don't use cutters to pry out your pins. Use needle nose pliers. Instead of the regular pin for the main gear, using a sheer pin will prevent damage to the main gear and a lot of the rest of the heli too. There are lots of different materials people use to do this. I'm sure a quick search will find more than one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugenechong View Post
Hi integrity,

I do lube them every now and then.....the motor cap came out when i had a crash...not a big one though....so i put on some r48 thread lock and it helf it there for awhile but lost it again when i put on full throttle. i might just put it aside for now but just feel that it is wasted to chuck it away. =(
Yeah, pictures would be easier to evaluate. But I think it's toast.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 10:33 PM
Joined Oct 2010
1,204 Posts
Quote:

Here's a few....

piro circuits
inverted funnels
hurricanes...especially inverted reverse hurricanes (hehe hard)
4 point tic tocs

you'll be well on your way to being 'the man' if you can do all those.
pmerritt is offline Find More Posts by pmerritt