HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:03 AM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain4LA View Post
I emailed that dude and he never emailed me back. The slipper clutch is definitely my next step. (Although I haven't completely wrapped my head around the concept of how it works, I'm sure it will make more sense when I assemble it and see it for myself)

I'm only a caveman.
The version 1 doesn't require much and works - just you've got to adjust it right at the start since you cant adjust it afterwards - there's most definitely a link to it further back in this thread (but this thread is huge... )

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...h#post19907332
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=422
thwaitm is offline Find More Posts by thwaitm
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:05 AM
Deviant
Joined Jul 2012
1,192 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmerritt View Post
nope, only a link (again...it's expensive) i purchased it during a black friday sale.

http://fusuno.com/index.php?cPath=610_664_715

When you order one you get to specify how it is designed.
Oh great just my luck. I thought it was a personal design
sbstnp is online now Find More Posts by sbstnp
Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:05 AM
Joined Nov 2012
25 Posts
damage to head and swashplate

Oooops, my first crash with the v120. Broken rotor head and ball link snapped off the top of swashplate.

My question: top of swashplate has FOUR ball links. Do I just snap off the opposing ball link and connect the rods to the two "spares"?

Also, I am having a very hard time getting the pin out of the head and getting the screws out of the blade holders. Is there a smart way of doing this? I found posts were people hacksaw the top to get a better grip on the pin. I am just afraid to do more damage. And the screw in the blade holder is impossible to get out because the shaft turns... Even with two screw drivers in both holders it is near impossible. What do the pros do? Apart from not crashing in the first place!
torsten01 is offline Find More Posts by torsten01
Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:40 AM
V120D02S, GCP
United States, CA, Pasadena
Joined Feb 2012
142 Posts
Yes just use the spare swash balls. The feathering shaft in the head requires two screw drivers once you get the blades off. Get the right sized ones as you dont want to strip. Once one screw is loose, the shaft comes out. Note the washers have a lip that must face the bearing. I take the mainshaft pins out with needle nose pliers. Usually the grips break, not the head.

Oh btw I took some electrical tape and attached my 808 #16 cam with a D lens to the skids and hovered around. No jello and the heli lifts it easily. The hovering footage in a dark bedroom isnt too exciting. Have to get it outside.
LarsDennert is offline Find More Posts by LarsDennert
Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:03 AM
Heli Crash Survivor
United States, AR, North Little Rock
Joined Feb 2011
1,155 Posts
Quote:
I emailed that dude and he never emailed me back. The slipper clutch is definitely my next step. (Although I haven't completely wrapped my head around the concept of how it works, I'm sure it will make more sense when I assemble it and see it for myself)

I'm only a caveman.
Bob is up at his cottage for a few weeks. When he gets back I'm sure he will contact you on the slipper clutch.
Crash Survivor is online now Find More Posts by Crash Survivor
Old Nov 30, 2012, 09:07 AM
Heli Crash Survivor
United States, AR, North Little Rock
Joined Feb 2011
1,155 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by torsten01 View Post
Oooops, my first crash with the v120. Broken rotor head and ball link snapped off the top of swashplate.

My question: top of swashplate has FOUR ball links. Do I just snap off the opposing ball link and connect the rods to the two "spares"?

Also, I am having a very hard time getting the pin out of the head and getting the screws out of the blade holders. Is there a smart way of doing this? I found posts were people hacksaw the top to get a better grip on the pin. I am just afraid to do more damage. And the screw in the blade holder is impossible to get out because the shaft turns... Even with two screw drivers in both holders it is near impossible. What do the pros do? Apart from not crashing in the first place!
I broke a main blade grip once & ordered spares. When they arrived I proceeded on removing the blade grips. Walkera must have used red loctite on the feathering shaft screws & I snapped the head off of one screw. Ended up having to place another order for the feathering shaft. On tail & main blade grips always use locite, but blue not red. I had a tail blade grip fly off cause I didn't use blue/low strength. Thread locker 222 is what is on my low strength tube.
Crash Survivor is online now Find More Posts by Crash Survivor
Old Nov 30, 2012, 09:59 AM
Joined Apr 2010
873 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash Survivor View Post
Bob is up at his cottage for a few weeks. When he gets back I'm sure he will contact you on the slipper clutch.
That is what I heard as well.

Chief
BHChieftain is offline Find More Posts by BHChieftain
Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:58 PM
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Nov 2012
331 Posts
Hurry up. Bob!

I'm so frustrated.... I got it in it's first hover yesterday next to my garage (to block the wind) Take off was perfect, landing was perfect, I called it a day and was happy... Today is about as calm as it gets (gusts up to 3 mph) so I took it out in the field behind my house... Take-off: perfect. Forward flight about 50', then backing up and checking my Tx. This helicopter (I'm not exaggerating) "kissed" the grass with almost 0 forward or aft movement, when she suddenly when into a very familiar crazy spin, accompanied by the also familiar whirring of a "O'd" out "D" hole - which I'm O.D'd on.

It just seems crazy. I don't know how anyone has the patience for this amount of down time. That's just too freakin' fragile. But damn, that bird flies nice and stable. And she's pretty too. I'm just really frustrated.
Rain4LA is offline Find More Posts by Rain4LA
Old Nov 30, 2012, 02:43 PM
Brent 黑雁
Canada, AB, Ponoka
Joined Jan 2012
1,781 Posts
Quote:
Hurry up. Bob!

I'm so frustrated.... I got it in it's first hover yesterday next to my garage (to block the wind) Take off was perfect, landing was perfect, I called it a day and was happy... Today is about as calm as it gets (gusts up to 3 mph) so I took it out in the field behind my house... Take-off: perfect. Forward flight about 50', then backing up and checking my Tx. This helicopter (I'm not exaggerating) "kissed" the grass with almost 0 forward or aft movement, when she suddenly when into a very familiar crazy spin, accompanied by the also familiar whirring of a "O'd" out "D" hole - which I'm O.D'd on.

It just seems crazy. I don't know how anyone has the patience for this amount of down time. That's just too freakin' fragile. But damn, that bird flies nice and stable. And she's pretty too. I'm just really frustrated.
Get a small piece of puck board and use that for take off and landing. It wil save your gears. Sometimes, it is just an unlucky day when these break. I have only broken one and I have have about 10 minor crashes. As you get more experience, things don't break as often. TH helps as well.
BThirsk is offline Find More Posts by BThirsk
Old Nov 30, 2012, 03:07 PM
RC Helis: My Healthy Obsession
The OC, California
Joined Feb 2007
3,159 Posts
Quote:
Hurry up. Bob!

You could try using Ben's tail assy. I have it installed on my V120 and it works perfectly.

http://microlinehobbies.com/Tailgear.htm
dkfuji is offline Find More Posts by dkfuji
Old Nov 30, 2012, 03:52 PM
Joined Nov 2012
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BThirsk View Post
Get a small piece of puck board and use that for take off and landing. It wil save your gears. Sometimes, it is just an unlucky day when these break. I have only broken one and I have have about 10 minor crashes. As you get more experience, things don't break as often. TH helps as well.
Yeah, I've got a nice piece of smooth foam poster board that I use. When it touched the grass, it was maybe 25' in front of me. Thank you though!
Old Nov 30, 2012, 04:00 PM
Joined Nov 2012
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkfuji View Post
You could try using Ben's tail assy. I have it installed on my V120 and it works perfectly.

I haven't seen this one.... Anyone else use this? Jeez, it's worth a try. I just want to be able to fly for a while without having to work on this thing all the time.

By the way, it says on the diagram that the stock parts are grayed out, but it shows a little spacer between his gear shim and the B gear. I don't have that on mine.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 04:14 PM
Joined Jan 2012
620 Posts
Quote:
Hurry up. Bob!

Do what I did and buy two or three birds. Also, focus on hitting throttle hold if you think there will be a blade strike. I haven't stripped gears in ages (through many crashes) with no slipper clutch because of TH. The stock motor has a remarkable amount of torque - more so than the old V120D02. These days I only crunch through teeth on the main gear if I dump her into the ground.

Just keep practicing - your level of frustration is nowhere near how bad mine has been at times since I started flying the V120D02S back in March. Watch for V120D02S BNF sales at WOW and HeliRCStore. It really helps to bring several birds to the field, particularly when you start learning 3D.

Stocking up on spare parts is necessary. I'm sitting here in John Wayne Airport in Orange County at the end of vacation with a ton of V120D02S and V200D03 spares from WOW in the carry-on. I may never use them all, but that's what EBay is for when you move onto the next bird.

Are you in LA, based on your username? If so WOW should have the parts.
OrbitalGolem is online now Find More Posts by OrbitalGolem
Old Nov 30, 2012, 04:19 PM
RC Helis: My Healthy Obsession
The OC, California
Joined Feb 2007
3,159 Posts
Quote:
I haven't seen this one.... Anyone else use this? Jeez, it's worth a try. I just want to be able to fly for a while without having to work on this thing all the time.

By the way, it says on the diagram that the stock parts are grayed out, but it shows a little spacer between his gear shim and the B gear. I don't have that on mine.
The little gear shim comes with the clutch kit. TomZ also installed one on his V120 and tested its ability to take a hit by stopping the tail while the heli was spinning. Here is the vid.

Adjustable Tail Clutch by Microlinehobbies (2) (1 min 47 sec)

Not only does it work perfectly on my heli, it also stood up to full 3D stick banging by Manny at the field. IMO, its worth the money for sure.
dkfuji is offline Find More Posts by dkfuji
Old Nov 30, 2012, 05:21 PM
RC Reviews & Tx Setup Guides
United States
Joined Sep 2007
3,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkfuji View Post

Quote:

I did a review on the microlinehobbies tail clutch.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=10

Tom
Tom Z is offline Find More Posts by Tom Z