SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 26, 2012, 11:00 PM
Deviant
Joined Jul 2012
1,167 Posts
Just a heads up, Deviation 2.0 was released.

It includes support for Devo 10, too.

Grab it here:
http://www.deviationtx.com/repositor...viation-2.0.0/
sbstnp is offline Find More Posts by sbstnp
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 26, 2012, 11:06 PM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
6,978 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsDennert View Post
Hmm so my question might be a bit different. If you adjust the blades for no pitch at center of travel and then fly the heli, some pitch has to be added while flying to keep the heli from piro'ing. Then effectively you have less travel left on that side than the other. So it would seem that the max piro speed in one direction would be higher than the other. I was wondering if that has to be accounted for.

Maybe the geometry of the links as designed adds the right amount of pitch if the linkage is at 90 degrees as you stated.
Okay, the thing is, I think you are thinking of a mechanical heading hold where you set the blade pitch to mechanically counter torque the main rotor to prevent yaw/drift or violent piro. This is something you would do using revo mixing or rate mode gyro. But, The heading hold gyro on these helicopters will automatically induce the pitch needed to hold the tail. If you move the tail pitch to what would mechanically hold the tail you would be limiting the gyro's corrective abilities in one direction. Because the Gyro expects the tail pitch to be at zero. Unfortunately Walkera does not document much on the actual setup of this heli and gyro. Other then instructing the user to set the servo arm and rocker to 90°. Which, like i said. Seems to get the blades basically at zero pitch, more or less. Maybe a few degrees of pitch, it's kind of hard to gauge them, you know? So when you spool up your motor with the tail blades at zero pitch, the Heading hold gyro will begin to add pitch to the tail to hold the heading. As long as you have your gyro setting in the TX above 50% i think you stay in HH gyro mode(the led on the RX stays lit). Anything less is Rate mode(LED on rx goes out), in which you must set the tail up to have enough pitch to counter torque the main rotor. Since you can't adjust individual end point for the rudder on this Gyro, you can only give it a set range with the EXT pot. So yes, in a way you will likely have less pitch in one direction because of this. But because of the reasons below, you shouldn't need it to be even. But this heli has always given me problems with piro speed. I currently have my rudder set to 120% - 120% traveladj and 30% expo on the rudder. This helps speed the rotation response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by candy76man View Post
The heli will spin in one direction (opposite of the main blades) on it's own if the tail isn't holding it by pushing in the opposite direction. So you don't need near as much pitch in one direction as you do for the other to get the same speed piro in both directions if that makes sense.

Right. The main rotor torque speeds the heli in one direction more than the other. So you do not need as much tail pitch in one direction as the other to get to the same rate of rotation. A good gyro will compensate for this to some degree. But the V120 is a basic gyro. It works well for what it is, and it's size and all. It just does the basic correction based on input.
IntegrityHndywrk is online now Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Last edited by IntegrityHndywrk; Nov 26, 2012 at 11:15 PM.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:19 AM
Taiwan
Joined Oct 2007
123 Posts
Here's my recently flying style with fast rolling but smooth circuit.

V120D02S Xtreme Motor Agile Tuning (6 min 2 sec)
ej189 is online now Find More Posts by ej189
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:37 AM
Deviant
Joined Jul 2012
1,167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ej189 View Post
Here's my recently flying style with fast rolling but smooth circuit.
Great flying, I especially liked those tight flips and rolls. What motor is that? The Spin?

Edit: the inverted funnels and the slow tic-tocs near the end were amazing too. Plus the hand landing, I wouldn't dare do something like that.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 01:12 AM
Joined Oct 2010
1,231 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbstnp View Post
Great flying, I especially liked those tight flips and rolls. What motor is that? The Spin?

Edit: the inverted funnels and the slow tic-tocs near the end were amazing too. Plus the hand landing, I wouldn't dare do something like that.
looking at his video makes me think that there isn't much performance difference between the v120d02s and the 130X I truly wonder what a Bert or a Tariq could do with the v120. I guess we'll never know but i think it would be interesting. The thing I really hate though is how people actually attack you because you fly a Walkera heli. I think it's sad, i'm in the same hobby trying to progress my own way but because I don't have the same bird everyone else has i'm ridiculed. Funny thing is, with the Deviation releases I can do whatever I want. I can have the best of both world's if I so choose. nuff said....i'll leave it at that.
pmerritt is offline Find More Posts by pmerritt
Old Nov 27, 2012, 02:27 AM
Taiwan
Joined Oct 2007
123 Posts
Quote:

Yes, it's Xtreme Spin 1S 16300KV motor with my nearly one year old stock battery, but also has a lighting weight to fly easily.

Hand landing is a habit keeping from the grass hurting bevel gears. But I don't worry any more now with a front metal bevel gear and the slipper clutch system . The video shows how durable it is.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 02:52 AM
Taiwan
Joined Oct 2007
123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmerritt View Post
looking at his video makes me think that there isn't much performance difference between the v120d02s and the 130X I truly wonder what a Bert or a Tariq could do with the v120. I guess we'll never know but i think it would be interesting. The thing I really hate though is how people actually attack you because you fly a Walkera heli. I think it's sad, i'm in the same hobby trying to progress my own way but because I don't have the same bird everyone else has i'm ridiculed. Funny thing is, with the Deviation releases I can do whatever I want. I can have the best of both world's if I so choose. nuff said....i'll leave it at that.
I'm trying to make V120 flying like such Blades helis, it need some effort but worth it.
A pro flyer definitely would fly far better than me cause I am still not good at detailed thumb work.
I think V120 is not as accurate as Blades helis though, but it can be so durable and easy maintenance that's irreplaceable.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 05:47 AM
Joined Jun 2008
70 Posts
Quote:
Just a heads up, Deviation 2.0 was released.

It includes support for Devo 10, too.

Grab it here:
http://www.deviationtx.com/repositor...viation-2.0.0/
Still not compatible with devo7
That s really too bad, because its really cheap, there are tonnes of them, and it would benefit a LOT from sharing configs with other TX (would be much easier to set it up and customize config)
ju204 is offline Find More Posts by ju204
Old Nov 27, 2012, 08:14 AM
hoten-x,master-cp,v120d02s,etc
Tampa,FL
Joined Dec 2003
1,193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ju204 View Post
That s really too bad, because its really cheap, there are tonnes of them, and it would benefit a LOT from sharing configs with other TX (would be much easier to set it up and customize config)
they say the lack of a usb input on the 7 and the display are the reasons they aren't bothering with the 7.
candy76man is offline Find More Posts by candy76man
Old Nov 27, 2012, 08:27 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ju204 View Post
They have tried and are still trying. But it is proving to be quite problematic, especially with the display.
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:45 AM
Heli Crash Survivor
United States, AR, North Little Rock
Joined Feb 2011
1,065 Posts
Heck I just realized I put my tail rotor blades on backwards for CW rotation not CCW. It flew fine like that. Switching back.
Crash Survivor is offline Find More Posts by Crash Survivor
Old Nov 27, 2012, 11:26 AM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
6,978 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmerritt View Post
Uhm... No, the v120 does not come out of the box flying like that. But the 130X does. The v120 flies nice for stock "out of the box" but it can't fly like in EJ's or my own videos without some serious tuning, lubrication and a better motor. The stock motor bogs out and just does not provide the 3d consistency of these upgraded motors or the 2S battery/motor configuration the 130X has. The KDBB 130X blades also lighten the load considerably and allow it to fly as good as you see. EJ also lightened his helicopters a lot so he can still get 5 minute flights out of a stock pack using an upgraded motor and the proper pinion. He also removed the CF tail fin which from what i can tell watching his videos is why he can fly in reverse without the heli spinning out. my V120s both drift erratically in reverse flight then spin around uncontrollable if you get into fast reverse like he was doing. So i always just avoid trying reverse flight because it never works out. In the end both helicopters require some modification to fly stable. The 130 only has a tail vibration problem. While the V120 requires a slipper clutch, new motor, new blades and... by now i wish the 130X was out when i bought my first heli this size. But at this point, with my experience, all the extra money i spent and upgrade parts. I suppose my V120 flies just as good, if not better than a 130X.

So while i will continue to say the V120D02S is one of the best helicopters in this size but Walkera makes the worst helicopters in the whole market if we are talking about helicopters above the 120 size. That is my experience and my opinion. Take it as a warning. But my helicopter as well as EJ's helicopter or any V120 you see flying like this. Doing 3D without bogging and doing full 3D maneuvers consistently one after the other. Typically it has an $50 upgraded motor in it at the least! So, all of a sudden your not saving any money going with Walkera.

Oh on top of that. I'd probably bet my whole heli that the Blade gyros work better. If they didn't there wouldn't be so many people asking if the Blade RX/gyro will fit and work in the V120. Which would be a cool little project. Spektrum compatible RX/gyro on the V120. Sounds good to me.

Also, i feel this is why it's important to change the designation of your helicopter when you upgrade it. So people don't think the heli they see flying in the video is the stock heli and go out and buy one thinking that it will react like these modified versions.
IntegrityHndywrk is online now Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Last edited by IntegrityHndywrk; Nov 27, 2012 at 11:37 AM.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:10 PM
Deviant
Joined Jul 2012
1,167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
But the 130X does.
No it doesn't. A few days ago I had the chance to fly one around and I did some flips. It is more powerful than v120 but not by much. It also had some delays on cyclic, very small but I found them annoying. And the vibes were present on the one I tried, not enough to make me not fly it but they were there. Probably a better pilot would be hindered.

130x needs a lot of pimping just to get rid of some of the flaws, from what I read on HF, $220-$270 (yeah, full retail where I live) + another $200 (plus shipping) to make it fly. That's kinda much for ANY micro, that's 250DFC or Gaui X2 money. This friend of mine wanted to get rid of it.

The only Blade I'd buy now is the 300x: BeastX, good size. Probably cheaper in the end, and flies like a big heli.

Anyway, I won't get anything bigger than my v120 from Walkera either. I'll go 2s on the v120, but next spring and that's it.

Edit: You have a case of "the grass is greener on the other side". It will pass, trust me, been there a few times. Enjoy your X5.
Last edited by sbstnp; Nov 27, 2012 at 12:25 PM.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 01:58 PM
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Nov 2012
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash Survivor View Post
You must have the new V2 V120. This is what I found out. But first to fly worry free install livonia bob slipper clutch. Did my first flips & a few crashes still going stronge.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1577528
My first flight testing setup on rate mode 20% rudder mix it spun CCW & I crashed. Same problem you have now. Below is what I informed livonia bob about the new V2 V120D02s's after installing his great clutch.

I finally figured out why the tail was dragging so bad. The motor couldn't even spin the blades. I did make the mistake once & put another B gear on where the C gear went on a previous install, but even with that the motor could turn the blades on a V1 V120. Didn't want to post & say anything negative on your thread cause I love your clutch. But for your info the new gears have the same part number HM-V120D0S2-Z-11. Difference on package are V1 has 201205110012 & US1308, V2 has 226368500 & 201209110004 & HK2325. This is what I found the new V2 gear set B gear has a bigger tit on the tail boom side which makes it stick out farther up against the tail shaft against the fuel tubing & locking collar. By looking at V2 B gear on the tail drive shaft it doesn't flush up to the end of the D hole, thought I even got a defected tail drive shaft until I put a V1 B gear on it & it was flush which solved the problem. Everything spins great now. I figure for those who have a V2 V120 could sand the tit down some & make it work or put a V1 B gear on if they have one & if they don't it appears they are selling the new V2 cone gear set now & would be out of luck.

Since you more than likely don't have the V1 B gear just sand the tit down till the shaft is flush with the front of the gear if the D hole looks good towards the front or sand your spare until it does. The A gear under the main gear has a lot more meat on the D hole that the shaft goes threw which will make it strong enough.

You guys have been really helpful, and I appreciate it. I emailed Bob this morning and want to order his slipper clutch. I worked on this most of the night last night and found that the B gear - I think it's B (the one connected to the main shaft) was stripped inside. The "D" was an "O". I replaced it with the one that came in the box. But now it seems like there's either back and forth play in the main, or the gear just keeps popping up far enough after one turn that it's not getting the proper connection. You can see the space on the shaft below the gear. Does anyone see what the problem could be? I appreciate your patience. I'm new at this, and frustrated - but trying hard.
Rain4LA is offline Find More Posts by Rain4LA
Old Nov 27, 2012, 02:15 PM
Joined Nov 2011
771 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain4LA View Post

You guys have been really helpful, and I appreciate it. I emailed Bob this morning and want to order his slipper clutch. I worked on this most of the night last night and found that the B gear - I think it's B (the one connected to the main shaft) was stripped inside. The "D" was an "O". I replaced it with the one that came in the box. But now it seems like there's either back and forth play in the main, or the gear just keeps popping up far enough after one turn that it's not getting the proper connection. You can see the space on the shaft below the gear. Does anyone see what the problem could be? I appreciate your patience. I'm new at this, and frustrated - but trying hard.
It's hard to tell from the picture but I think you may have put a C gear on instead of a B gear... I think the B is thicker and wider than the C but I don't have mine infront of me to confirm.

BTW, Gears go in order of distance from the main shaft so Main, A, B and C.
TucsonFlyer is offline Find More Posts by TucsonFlyer