HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 23, 2012, 11:52 AM
United States, OR, Vernonia
Joined Dec 2004
126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ju204 View Post
Both answers let me believe the problem is between the ground and the TX. I tried to check my movement on simu but nothing obvious. I tried to decrease expo on simu to see better little mistakes ...
I'll practice more!
EDIT: Today I tried some extra back flip (focusing on having the right hand move), and it was nothing better. I usually start a flip statio, so I tried to front flip with some forward speed, it was actually smoother since the heli was facing the right direction, so I tried some backflips going backward, and this was catastrophic (saved the heli twice and broke my paper clip main gear pin at 3rd try).
I find that it is easiest to flip foward to inverted and then flip backwards to upright. Also i find that if you tilt it opposite of the flip first it helps.
iflyrvs1 is offline Find More Posts by iflyrvs1
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 23, 2012, 06:24 PM
V120D02S, GCP
United States, CA, Pasadena
Joined Feb 2012
142 Posts
Everybody should check their travel adjust settings. Mine was set to 100% rudder and the linkage maxes out well before the sticks do. I set mine to 85% and now everything goes full travel at the same point. Elevator also bound up before the sticks do. Had to tweak those too. Piro is smoother after that. Maybe the linkage binding causes crazy stuff for some of you.

Just had to rotate gears in the aileron servo. Are there metal gear ones that swap?
LarsDennert is offline Find More Posts by LarsDennert
Old Nov 24, 2012, 07:00 AM
Joined Jun 2008
70 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsDennert View Post
Just had to rotate gears in the aileron servo. Are there metal gear ones that swap?
You can find very cheap plastic gears. Got mine from oomodel, but some users reported even cheaper prices (look back some pages).
Users reported that these gears are way more resistant than stock. I can't tell you because it's been only some days using it.
EDIT: There is a link: http://www.oomodel.com/v120d02s-serv...g-p-62638.html
ju204 is offline Find More Posts by ju204
Old Nov 24, 2012, 07:59 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,005 Posts
Quote:
You can find very cheap plastic gears. Got mine from oomodel, but some users reported even cheaper prices (look back some pages).
Users reported that these gears are way more resistant than stock. I can't tell you because it's been only some days using it.
EDIT: There is a link: http://www.oomodel.com/v120d02s-serv...g-p-62638.html
The main gear has a longer shaft for the servo arm. I suspect that the longer shaft dissipates some of the force in a crash. I have yet to strip a servo with those gears despite having had loads of crashes.
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw
Old Nov 24, 2012, 08:57 AM
OpenGL C/C++ programer
Israel
Joined Dec 2006
769 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zadaw View Post
The main gear has a longer shaft for the servo arm. I suspect that the longer shaft dissipates some of the force in a crash. I have yet to strip a servo with those gears despite having had loads of crashes.
are these good for the cylic servos or the tail servo ?

my tail servo needs new gears, but it is of different shape than
the cyclic ones (thinner)
axelen is offline Find More Posts by axelen
Old Nov 24, 2012, 09:08 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,005 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by axelen View Post
are these good for the cylic servos or the tail servo ?

my tail servo needs new gears, but it is of different shape than
the cyclic ones (thinner)
Cyclic servos only at the moment.
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw
Old Nov 25, 2012, 09:35 AM
Taiwan, Hsinchu City
Joined Nov 2011
36 Posts
Quote:
If anyone knows visible blades (preferred color would be orange or flashy yellow), that are a little bigger than stock one, I would be happy to give them a try.

Edit: Today I also tested the kbdd main blades. Tail was not holding. I really don't like them together with kbdd tail blades.
How about DIY tail blades, visibility is good and the size are bigger than stock ones. They are popular in Taiwan.
Grant Litmanen is offline Find More Posts by Grant Litmanen
Old Nov 25, 2012, 11:01 AM
Joined Jun 2008
70 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant Litmanen View Post
How about DIY tail blades, visibility is good and the size are bigger than stock ones. They are popular in Taiwan.
Looks very good. Could you provide a link to the way to DIY these blades?
ju204 is offline Find More Posts by ju204
Old Nov 25, 2012, 01:05 PM
Taiwan, Hsinchu City
Joined Nov 2011
36 Posts
Quote:
Looks very good. Could you provide a link to the way to DIY these blades?
It was firstly posted by gramps0922 on RCTW, which writen in Chinese. I describe that in my words. Find a plastic sheet, draw with tracing the stock tail blades on it, but slightly extending terminus. Cut the sheet and polish the boundary. If one wants perfection, he can polish it as streamline. I personally will further polish it with 1000# and 3000# sandpapers after shaping. The color could inherently be dyed in the plastic or be drawed afterward.
Grant Litmanen is offline Find More Posts by Grant Litmanen
Old Nov 25, 2012, 05:47 PM
Joined Apr 2010
758 Posts
Flipping the V120D02S

I have not really tried to move into mild 3d with my V120D02S as I really like a silky smooth vibe free heli, and that takes me a while to tune... only to be destroyed by a single crash.

I have had pretty poor results flipping my old MCPx due to lack of power. Lately I have been working on flips and rolls with my Gaui 200 which has power to spare... and during that learning curve I discovered that less is more... meaning, the less positive/negative pitch used during the flip/roll maneuver, the better-- it keeps the headspeed up and the position more stationary.

I applied that lesson to my V120D02S, which does not have that much power stock (but certainly better than the MCPx), and the principal works very well-- I just finished 3 packs of tight flips and rolls. Normally I use my V120 as a trainer for my Gaui, but this time my Gaui was the the V120 trainer...

8^)

Chief
BHChieftain is online now Find More Posts by BHChieftain
Old Nov 26, 2012, 12:10 AM
V120D02S, GCP
Joined Feb 2012
142 Posts
Broke both main grips and the tail steering. Bent the main shaft I think. Thatll teach me do flips over concrete. shattered what was left of the canopy.

Bought red and white canopies from wow along with the immediate spares. Crap they charge a lot for shipping and they are across town $14. Bought some white blades and and replacement servo gears from helipal; only $5 shipping from hong kong.

That should make it more visible at distance.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 09:04 AM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
5,920 Posts
I only take my 2 V120 size heli out every once in a while anymore. But lately i try to throw the heli around too much or something and the battery just cant keep up. The motor bogs and i end up crashing every time. It's a good thing i never strip servos or break gears or typically damage anything other than the canopy. The way i'm set up it's been pretty lucky. But this time the V120D02S took a nose dive that broke the elevator link off the swash plate. The servo still didn't strip. I'm positive the replacement gears are stronger than the original now, at least i'm damn sure.

V120D02S-Pro - 3D Flight & crash - 11-25-12 (2 min 10 sec)

V120D05CS08 - 3D Flight & crash - 11-25-12 (1 min 37 sec)
IntegrityHndywrk is offline Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Last edited by IntegrityHndywrk; Nov 26, 2012 at 08:18 PM.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 09:28 AM
V120D02S, GCP
Joined Feb 2012
142 Posts
Those the Airy gears? Just ordered some.
Your just in time for the metal swash so something else more expensive will bust next time. Lol
Old Nov 26, 2012, 12:21 PM
United States, MA, Boston
Joined Oct 2011
798 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
I only take my 2 V120 size heli out every once in a while anymore. But lately i try to throw the heli around too much or something and the battery just cant keep up. The motor bogs and i end up crashing every time. It's a good thing i never strip servos or break gears or typically damage anything other than the canopy. The way i'm set up it's been pretty lucky. But this time the V120D02S took a nose dive that broke the elevator link off the swash plate. The servo still didn't strip. I'm positive the replacement gears are stronger than the original now, at least i'm damn sure.

http://youtu.be/zWLOdBtdqos

http://youtu.be/zWLOdBtdqos
My guessing is the link on the swash plate popped off first, and then heli took nose dive. This type of mechanical failure is very common if you have a worn/smaller ball on swash plate or enlarged link hole.
GTstrudl is online now Find More Posts by GTstrudl
Old Nov 26, 2012, 03:12 PM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
5,920 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsDennert View Post
Those the Airy gears? Just ordered some.
Your just in time for the metal swash so something else more expensive will bust next time. Lol
Airy gears are Helipal's rebranded BS. They are more expensive and are actually the the nine eagles 318A servo replacement gears. They just happen to be compatible. Other places sell the nine eagles 318A servo gears for a few dollars less per set. But the exposed spline is longer than stock so it throws off the swash geometry. Though, i bought 10 of them about 5 months ago and have not needed to replace them at all since installing the first 3 sets simultaneously. Though to be honest because of how my servos are loosely mounted, i hardly ever stripped gears anyway. And i crashed this heli HUNDREDS of times.

I would never waste my money on a CNC part for this heli. Total waste, especially since plastic has proven time and time again to be the superior material when your talking about parts this small. Walkera tried several times and it was always a problem with stripped threads and other nonsense. I'll stick with the plastic swash since this is the first once I've broken in 8 months. In fact i have not bent or broken anything on the heli since i installed a copper sheer pin and the KDBB 130X main blades. There simply is not enough mass on those blades to transfer damage. The blades actually absorb all the shock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTstrudl View Post
My guessing is the link on the swash plate popped off first, and then heli took nose dive. This type of mechanical failure is very common if you have a worn/smaller ball on swash plate or enlarged link hole.
Nope, the thing bounced off the ground. When i picked it up the elevator ball of the swash was broken clean off and still attached to the linkage, which was also still attached to the elevator servo. This is literally the only swash i have ever broken on this heli. It's about 8 months old and crashes literally every single day, every time i fly it. Because the batteries suck and the motor can't run full time. The battery can't keep up. Especially since the LOWEST wind speeds will ever be here, on a good day would be 10 mph gusting to 15. But honestly it's NEVER below 15 mph gusting to 22. I live right on the beach on the east coast. These little micros just can't handle the extra stress.

Videos from the same day:
Gaui X5 videos

Custom modified V450D01 videos
IntegrityHndywrk is offline Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk