HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 18, 2012, 03:00 PM
United States, ND, Bismarck
Joined Mar 2012
304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xascent View Post
Anyone tried or know if the Rx/gyro of this thing can be used in bigger helis. I'm thinking 250 size as flybarless control unit.
There are a few problems with using this rx on anything else.

1. It is not meant to run at 5v, let alone 6v. You can use a diode to step the voltage down to 4.2 but it will hurt your servo performance a lot.
2. It is not designed for the amp draw of 9g servos
3. Range may become an issue on bigger helis.

Seems pretty risky to me. BThirst's suggestion is the best option, ZYX cost = rx2622v cost. Either that or Deviation w/ Spektrum stuff. ZYX-s using Spektrum sat is nice.
flint723 is offline Find More Posts by flint723
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:25 AM
Deviant
Joined Jul 2012
1,192 Posts
I'm reading the 130x forum on HF from time to time and this morning there was a thread which made my day. I'm still laughing.

http://helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=472453

You draw the conclusion.
sbstnp is online now Find More Posts by sbstnp
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:42 PM
Huntington Beach, CA
Joined Jan 2011
236 Posts
The link to the helifreak thread appears to be blocked unless you are registered. Any way you can paste the post here?
paul2pilot is offline Find More Posts by paul2pilot
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:00 PM
Joined Jan 2012
620 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul2pilot View Post
The link to the helifreak thread appears to be blocked unless you are registered. Any way you can paste the post here?
The owner definitely had it with the tail issues of the 130X

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=15gxNf7cXWM

Paul2Pilot - I'll be out your way on vacation next week. How are the winds in Huntington Beach? Will I be able to do any 3D without the winds blowing the V120 into the sand? I've thought about bringing the V200D03, but that will raise a lot more TSA eyebrows than the V120.
OrbitalGolem is online now Find More Posts by OrbitalGolem
Last edited by OrbitalGolem; Nov 19, 2012 at 02:05 PM.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:27 PM
RC Helis: My Healthy Obsession
The OC, California
Joined Feb 2007
3,159 Posts
One thing for sure, I won't be burning up my V120D02SV2. I like flying it too much. I do, however, have all 3 of my 130X's just sitting on the shelf. I am very disappointed with the maintenance factor on the heli. Don't get me wrong, when it is flying, it does fly really nice. It's just a lot of work (in my case) to keep them going.

I had a chance to fly over the weekend with Manny and watched him full 3D my new V120. I also flew her around and happened to fly inverted a little too low and clipped the curb with the heli in full flight. It was a really hard inverted hit since it broke the blade grip in half (main blade went flying off 15ft away) and whacked the tail blades (asphalt marks on the blades). I do have Benmlee's tail clutch installed and I am using the TA915 main motor as well. So there was a lot of HS and torque going on at the time of the crash. The total damage was the main blade grips and one of the swash plate balls. All I did was replace the grips and rotate the inner swash to use the other set of ball links. The tail was still intact and all shafts were still perfect. Nice.

This heli is definitely durable.
dkfuji is offline Find More Posts by dkfuji
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:44 PM
Joined Jan 2012
620 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkfuji View Post
One thing for sure, I won't be burning up my V120D02SV2. I like flying it too much. I do, however, have all 3 of my 130X's just sitting on the shelf. I am very disappointed with the maintenance factor on the heli. Don't get me wrong, when it is flying, it does fly really nice. It's just a lot of work (in my case) to keep them going.

I had a chance to fly over the weekend with Manny and watched him full 3D my new V120. I also flew her around and happened to fly inverted a little too low and clipped the curb with the heli in full flight. It was a really hard inverted hit since it broke the blade grip in half (main blade went flying off 15ft away) and whacked the tail blades (asphalt marks on the blades). I do have Benmlee's tail clutch installed and I am using the TA915 main motor as well. So there was a lot of HS and torque going on at the time of the crash. The total damage was the main blade grips and one of the swash plate balls. All I did was replace the grips and rotate the inner swash to use the other set of ball links. The tail was still intact and all shafts were still perfect. Nice.

This heli is definitely durable.
So you wouldn't recommend the 130X? Though I only have Walkera birds, I've considered the 130X because of the 2S battery and comments from owners saying that 3D is almost effortless with it.

Was Manny able to do any serious 3D with the stock motor? All I ever do are flips and rolls, but I can easily bog the stock motor and often need to let it regain headspeed before attempting the next manuever. I'd suspect Manny would have trouble also with the stock motor?
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:50 PM
The OC, California
Joined Feb 2007
3,159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalGolem View Post
So you wouldn't recommend the 130X? Though I only have Walkera birds, I've considered the 130X because of the 2S battery and comments from owners saying that 3D is almost effortless with it.

Was Manny able to do any serious 3D with the stock motor? All I ever do are flips and rolls, but I can easily bog the stock motor and often need to let it regain headspeed before attempting the next manuever. I'd suspect Manny would have trouble also with the stock motor?
I took 2 V120's on Sunday. One of them had the stock motor in it with the high speed 12a ESC and KBDD blades from Wow installed. He was able to do an entire 3D routine with her. Including piro flips, side tic-tocs, rainbows and inverted hurricanes and funnels. So the answer is yes the stock motor is very capable of full 3D. Collective management is the secret and he is very good at that. I modded another set of stock blades (by drilling holes in them) and they are working much better than the KBDD blades. Not only are the flip and roll rates better, but the heli still flies stable with no pitch up problems in FFF. IMO, the KBDD blades are good for flips, rolls, etc. but not as good for FFF and transition moves. Make sure your batteries are good as well. I am still using the stock 600mah's and they are performing great so far.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 06:17 PM
Joined Jan 2012
620 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkfuji View Post
I took 2 V120's on Sunday. One of them had the stock motor in it with the high speed 12a ESC and KBDD blades from Wow installed. He was able to do an entire 3D routine with her. Including piro flips, side tic-tocs, rainbows and inverted hurricanes and funnels. So the answer is yes the stock motor is very capable of full 3D. Collective management is the secret and he is very good at that. I modded another set of stock blades (by drilling holes in them) and they are working much better than the KBDD blades. Not only are the flip and roll rates better, but the heli still flies stable with no pitch up problems in FFF. IMO, the KBDD blades are good for flips, rolls, etc. but not as good for FFF and transition moves. Make sure your batteries are good as well. I am still using the stock 600mah's and they are performing great so far.
Does the high-speed 12A ESC make a significant difference with the stock batteries and motor in reducing bogging? Is this ESC listed on the WOW site?

I agree that the stock FullRiver batteries are fantastic. I'm using batteries with manufacture dates of 3/12 which are still as good as the ones with dates of 7/12 and 9/12. My 11/11 and 12/11 batteries are getting a little weak, but I can still eek three minutes of flips out of them.

You didn't mention in the last post if you recommend the 130X...
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:31 PM
The OC, California
Joined Feb 2007
3,159 Posts
Quote:
Does the high-speed 12A ESC make a significant difference with the stock batteries and motor in reducing bogging? Is this ESC listed on the WOW site?

I agree that the stock FullRiver batteries are fantastic. I'm using batteries with manufacture dates of 3/12 which are still as good as the ones with dates of 7/12 and 9/12. My 11/11 and 12/11 batteries are getting a little weak, but I can still eek three minutes of flips out of them.

You didn't mention in the last post if you recommend the 130X...
The high-speed ESC does add more HS and reduces the bogging with the stock motor. I highly recommend using it. Here is where it is listed:

http://www.wowhobbies.com/sale1299xp...blesc-3-1.aspx

I like the flying characteristics of the 130X. Yes it is a great little flyer. As long as you enjoy set-up, balancing and maintenance, it is a really solid performer. Once you have the tail vibration eliminated, the heli is a very good 3D flyer. Like any micro heli, it just has issues inherent in the design is all.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:26 PM
WarpQuad, Flip260FPV, etc.
Tampa,FL
Joined Dec 2003
1,403 Posts
Wish me luck, I just put a new 3 axis devo rx in my v120 (previously had 6 axis with fff problems)...everything spooled up fine tonight and I hovered it for a bit inside. Gonna try her outside tomorrow so hopefully she will fly like she did with the 3axis 2801 rx I used to use before converting to a devo system. If I have good results with the stock blades I may even try the kbdd blades again and see how that goes.
candy76man is offline Find More Posts by candy76man
Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:04 AM
Huntington Beach, CA
Joined Jan 2011
236 Posts
Quote:
The owner definitely had it with the tail issues of the 130X

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=15gxNf7cXWM

Paul2Pilot - I'll be out your way on vacation next week. How are the winds in Huntington Beach? Will I be able to do any 3D without the winds blowing the V120 into the sand? I've thought about bringing the V200D03, but that will raise a lot more TSA eyebrows than the V120.
Oh, man is that proof someone hates their 130x or what. In Huntington Beach on most days if you get out there before mid-morning, there's not much wind and the weather forecast for next week is sunshine on most days, so that's good. There's a little park in nearly every housing tract, so you have lots of parks to choose from. The nearest official RC park is across the Santa Ana river on the bluff in Fairview Park. Lots of geeks up there with all sorts of planes and there's a heli area, so some occasional big helis show up.

Let us know how it works out
paul2pilot is offline Find More Posts by paul2pilot
Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:11 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by candy76man View Post
Wish me luck, I just put a new 3 axis devo rx in my v120 (previously had 6 axis with fff problems)...everything spooled up fine tonight and I hovered it for a bit inside. Gonna try her outside tomorrow so hopefully she will fly like she did with the 3axis 2801 rx I used to use before converting to a devo system. If I have good results with the stock blades I may even try the kbdd blades again and see how that goes.
You may find the 3 axis devo version flies better than the 2801 pro version. There was some latency reported for the 2801 pro protocol. This lag in response is no longer seen with the Devo protocol and you should feel more connected with the heli.
zadaw is offline Find More Posts by zadaw
Old Nov 20, 2012, 09:29 AM
This is gonna hurt.........
USA, OR, Sandy
Joined Mar 2009
242 Posts
Man, I would love to see a video of this bird doing piro flips back to back just to give hope. I have thought about installing a new fbl controller in it, but at that point I would think weight would kill it. The Spektrum beast rx is not light at all!! On a 250 or larger its fine. Don't know much about the rondo fbl. Also, will these units work on 1s. I fly larger birds normally so I'm not sure what this bird will take without losing power. I have to say, with the ace motor and stock packs, I love this thing. I would like to try some carbon or wood blades off a 4g6 to see how they do, or even try to drill the stock ones, but would like a bit more info on how that was done without making the blades too weak.
Worse vase situation, guess with as popular as these micro birds are getting, I can hold hope that they will at some point put out a fbl unit with piro comp. I would buy it right away and solve the only issue I see with this bird. I

I also wonder if anyone has tried any program mixing from rudder to elevator to fake out and somewhat solve this bad issue.
nwcudaman is offline Find More Posts by nwcudaman
Old Nov 20, 2012, 10:49 AM
Joined Jun 2008
70 Posts
I happend to destroy 2 screw holes on my frame. Tried to glue the screws with blue loctite, but that was a bad idea, and both screws went out.
Anyone got an idea? I don't want to buy a frame just for that, and I have to screw / unscrew those a lot for maintenance.
ju204 is offline Find More Posts by ju204
Old Nov 20, 2012, 10:54 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ju204 View Post
I happend to destroy 2 screw holes on my frame. Tried to glue the screws with blue loctite, but that was a bad idea, and both screws went out.
Anyone got an idea? I don't want to buy a frame just for that, and I have to screw / unscrew those a lot for maintenance.
I would try using larger diameter screws.
zadaw is offline Find More Posts by zadaw