HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 11, 2012, 10:30 PM
V120D02S, GCP
United States, CA, Pasadena
Joined Feb 2012
142 Posts
Safety is important. It is easy to be confident in your skills but you cant control some things. You cant control other drivers on the road for instance. I have a motorcycle license but don't ride much anymore. Im an avid scuba diver. I help run a club and a rescue diver too. Two months ago I hauled a drowned free diver who had been in the water a week out with the family on the beach. Following some rules she might still be alive.

If the head comes apart on your bird or the servos lock up you will just be a bystander. If you have prepared for that eventuality, likely all it will entail is yor credit card being a bit damaged. Know where the limits are and stay inside them. Our sport will be better for it. Otherwise someone is going to come along and regulate us.
LarsDennert is offline Find More Posts by LarsDennert
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 12, 2012, 02:49 AM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
6,634 Posts
Thanks everyone for your best wishes. I hope everyone is being safe, both on the roads and in the air.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant Litmanen View Post
My modified V120D02S only weighted 76g (without battery), with HP08 1S motor and 130X blades it can handle intense tic toc. Many ideas are from ej189, thanks him.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTt4jOZKMFc
Nice! i've been wanting to try tick tocks for a while now but unfortunately it's always too windy here. It's quite impossible to fight the wind and tick tock this thing at the same time. I mean, it can probably be done, but it's tricky. The wind will help to bog the motor pretty easily on this heli. So if you can't bring the head speed up your going down I do it all the time, this is why i've been leaning towards a 2S setup. Or just fly a 250 for my micro needs. I just don't know if it's going to be all that much of an improvement to go 2S.

Here is my latest vid of the V120D0202S with Turbo Ace 215 and KBDD blades:
V120D02S - Loops, Rolls, flips and crash - 11-11-12 (2 min 40 sec)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsDennert View Post
Safety is important. It is easy to be confident in your skills but you cant control some things. You cant control other drivers on the road for instance. I have a motorcycle license but don't ride much anymore. Im an avid scuba diver. I help run a club and a rescue diver too. Two months ago I hauled a drowned free diver who had been in the water a week out with the family on the beach. Following some rules she might still be alive.

If the head comes apart on your bird or the servos lock up you will just be a bystander. If you have prepared for that eventuality, likely all it will entail is yor credit card being a bit damaged. Know where the limits are and stay inside them. Our sport will be better for it. Otherwise someone is going to come along and regulate us.
I check over my stuff regular. But today a pitch link on my swash stripped it's way out of the hole. The link was tight, but i suppose it had worked it's self loose in the last flight and got ripped out doing these first flips at the beginning of this flight. It was probably damage from a recent crash. It really has not been a good weekend in any way.

V450D01 - Swash pitch ball failure (0 min 21 sec)
IntegrityHndywrk is offline Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Last edited by IntegrityHndywrk; Nov 12, 2012 at 03:03 AM.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 07:29 AM
Taiwan, Hsinchu City
Joined Nov 2011
36 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
Thanks everyone for your best wishes. I hope everyone is being safe, both on the roads and in the air.

Nice! i've been wanting to try tick tocks for a while now but unfortunately it's always too windy here. It's quite impossible to fight the wind and tick tock this thing at the same time. I mean, it can probably be done, but it's tricky. The wind will help to bog the motor pretty easily on this heli. So if you can't bring the head speed up your going down I do it all the time, this is why i've been leaning towards a 2S setup. Or just fly a 250 for my micro needs. I just don't know if it's going to be all that much of an improvement to go 2S.

Here is my latest vid of the V120D0202S with Turbo Ace 215 and KBDD blades:
Yeah your machanical power seems very sufficient but the wind also too strong. Whenever a windless day come I cant help rushing out to test new 3D tricks. It will always a trade off to choose between 1S light flight or 2S powerful head speed. But finally I found 1S power with KBDD blades is comparable to 2S and until now that stuff is satisfied for me.
Grant Litmanen is offline Find More Posts by Grant Litmanen
Old Nov 12, 2012, 09:28 AM
Joined Jan 2012
506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash Survivor View Post
My 2 2801/walkera RX's 120D02S's tails are rock solid. My 2 Devo RX's 120D02S's are twitchy, well 1 I gave my Son the first one I bought. But I have a new 6 axis Devo version on the way & hope no tail issues with it. As far as your second problem may be a power issue. Try just unplugging your motor/ESC connector & plugging back, maybe it will clear a high resistance spot. Look for maybe bad/cold solider points on power/motor/ESC connectors & touch up with soldering iron & fresh solider.
Agreed - the more 3D I do with both of my V120D02S (version 1, 3-axis, stock motor), the more tail wag I get further into the flight (with stock pitch settings from the manual). That's with stock batteries with manufacture dates of 1/12, 3/12, 7/12, and 9/12. It never ceases to amaze me, though, how much you can bog the stock motor and still get pretty decent flips out of it, even with distressed headspeeds. There's no way I could get tic-tocs out of the bogs though. Though I have a TA-215 on the shelf ready to go, I like the fact that I can squeeze a few more flips out of her at 4.5 minutes before the timer beeps at 5:30, with the stock motor. I've stopped obsessing about the tail wag on the V120 - as long as the flips and rolls are controllable, I'm happy.

When the motor bogs, I've noticed on mine that the rapid-oscillating tail wag increases for several moments until the headspeed stabilizes.

The latency of the 120's front flip rate annoys me though. Back flips are so much easier. The problem with the front flip rate is when you fly a 3S-battery bird like a V200D03 immediately after the V120. That bird's front flip rate is scary fast at times.
OrbitalGolem is online now Find More Posts by OrbitalGolem
Old Nov 12, 2012, 09:41 AM
Mini CP - Nano CPX - Devo 6
Joined Nov 2010
199 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash Survivor View Post
As far as your second problem may be a power issue. Try just unplugging your motor/ESC connector & plugging back, maybe it will clear a high resistance spot. Look for maybe bad/cold solider points on power/motor/ESC connectors & touch up with soldering iron & fresh solider.
I checked the solder joints and everything seems fine. Is the change in head speed and motor sound readily perceivable? I'm expecting something along the lines of what I hear when I throw my Brushless Mini CP w/ C05m from 70% throttle into a flat 100% idle up. Is this an unrealistic comparison?
Couchking is offline Find More Posts by Couchking
Old Nov 12, 2012, 12:03 PM
Heli Crash Survivor
United States, AR, North Little Rock
Joined Feb 2011
1,042 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Couchking View Post
I checked the solder joints and everything seems fine. Is the change in head speed and motor sound readily perceivable? I'm expecting something along the lines of what I hear when I throw my Brushless Mini CP w/ C05m from 70% throttle into a flat 100% idle up. Is this an unrealistic comparison?
No I can hear the difference on my stock V120D02S's & MCP with a HP05 when I switch to a higher throttle curve.
Crash Survivor is offline Find More Posts by Crash Survivor
Old Nov 12, 2012, 08:25 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,057 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
I check over my stuff regular. But today a pitch link on my swash stripped it's way out of the hole. The link was tight, but i suppose it had worked it's self loose in the last flight and got ripped out doing these first flips at the beginning of this flight. It was probably damage from a recent crash. It really has not been a good weekend in any way.
Something like that happened on my 500's maiden hover. I did a piro and on the stop the helicopter made a BRRRTTTTT! sound and flipped forward into the ground. I actually managed to hit throttle hold before it had even finished flipping over (it's just a reflex now). The elevator ball had unscrewed itself in spite of blue locktite. I always use green on swash balls now for this reason. There was no damage except for the bent tail boom, tail rotor shaft and destroyed tail blades (glad I used the cheap plastic ones I had and not the good CF ones that came with the kit) Somehow the main rotor blades survived with only a slight scuff on the tips.

This would be the first of two crashes I had during testing due to mechanical failures. 500 sized helicopters are on a whole different level than 450's when it comes to the possibility of things going wrong due to oversight on assembly and maintenance. In the second the helicopter started spinning uncontrollable at the bottom of a hard pitch pump. I never figured out for sure what caused that but I think one of the guides was either out of alignment to begin with or moved and when the pushrod flexed slightly under the increased resistance on the tail slider it got stuck. I replaced it with a CF one and the problem hasn't reoccurred.
Atomic Skull is offline Find More Posts by Atomic Skull
Last edited by Atomic Skull; Nov 12, 2012 at 08:48 PM.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 09:23 PM
Joined Jan 2012
506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Skull View Post
Something like that happened on my 500's maiden hover. I did a piro and on the stop the helicopter made a BRRRTTTTT! sound and flipped forward into the ground. I actually managed to hit throttle hold before it had even finished flipping over (it's just a reflex now). The elevator ball had unscrewed itself in spite of blue locktite. I always use green on swash balls now for this reason. There was no damage except for the bent tail boom, tail rotor shaft and destroyed tail blades (glad I used the cheap plastic ones I had and not the good CF ones that came with the kit) Somehow the main rotor blades survived with only a slight scuff on the tips.

This would be the first of two crashes I had during testing due to mechanical failures. 500 sized helicopters are on a whole different level than 450's when it comes to the possibility of things going wrong due to oversight on assembly and maintenance. In the second the helicopter started spinning uncontrollable at the bottom of a hard pitch pump. I never figured out for sure what caused that but I think one of the guides was either out of alignment to begin with or moved and when the pushrod flexed slightly under the increased resistance on the tail slider it got stuck. I replaced it with a CF one and the problem hasn't reoccurred.
It's stories like your's that convince me that I'm not ready for a Goblin 700 (or 630 for that matter) yet. My biggest bird currently is a V200D03 and she's still a little intimidating at times, but not life-threatening so.

Still, when Goblin releases the 500 - that one will be hard to resist. It'll be interesting to see how it stacks up to the Gaui X5.

And I'm strangely tempted by WOW's current T-giving promotion on the V500D01. $200 off. $444 for a Devo-equipped, "RTF" 500-size bird. Definitely would need metal-geared servos for that one...
OrbitalGolem is online now Find More Posts by OrbitalGolem
Old Nov 12, 2012, 10:48 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,057 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalGolem View Post
It's stories like your's that convince me that I'm not ready for a Goblin 700 (or 630 for that matter) yet. My biggest bird currently is a V200D03 and she's still a little intimidating at times, but not life-threatening so.

Still, when Goblin releases the 500 - that one will be hard to resist. It'll be interesting to see how it stacks up to the Gaui X5.

And I'm strangely tempted by WOW's current T-giving promotion on the V500D01. $200 off. $444 for a Devo-equipped, "RTF" 500-size bird. Definitely would need metal-geared servos for that one...
The plastic geared Align servos work just fine in a Trex 500.

I do like the frame design on the V500D01, wish they sold it bare bones. Much better design than the Trex 500 which has a ton of empty space inside the frame behind the motor and under the maingear that isn't used for anything.

The Wfly Vortex 5 looked really good, I like the idea of using standard size cyclic servos in a 500 because it really expands your options and the frame was simple and well thought out. But it never came out and seems to have fallen off the radar.

Atomic Skull is offline Find More Posts by Atomic Skull
Last edited by Atomic Skull; Nov 12, 2012 at 10:54 PM.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:26 PM
Folding Spacetime
United States, CA, Fullerton
Joined Jul 2011
1,953 Posts
Hi guys, does anyone know the AWG size of the wires going from the battery to the stock ESC of the V120D02S? I want to extend the ESC wires a bit further, but I cannot read the wire size on the sides of the wires. All I can see is "Silicon Rubber."
navigator2011 is offline Find More Posts by navigator2011
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:33 PM
Joined Nov 2010
199 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by navigator2011 View Post
Hi guys, does anyone know the AWG size of the wires going from the battery to the stock ESC of the V120D02S? I want to extend the ESC wires a bit further, but I cannot read the wire size on the sides of the wires. All I can see is "Silicon Rubber."
22AWG on mine.
Couchking is offline Find More Posts by Couchking
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:50 PM
United Kingdom
Joined Sep 2011
366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Couchking View Post
22AWG on mine.
I can't see the rating on the esc wires but mine looks about the same. Similar to some spare 20 AWG I have.
RotaryC is offline Find More Posts by RotaryC
Old Nov 14, 2012, 02:01 PM
Folding Spacetime
United States, CA, Fullerton
Joined Jul 2011
1,953 Posts
Thanks guys, that helps me a lot.
navigator2011 is offline Find More Posts by navigator2011
Old Nov 14, 2012, 02:04 PM
Joined Nov 2010
199 Posts