SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 10, 2012, 02:57 AM
Mini CP - Nano CPX - Devo 6
Joined Nov 2010
199 Posts
Hey guys,

Just got my v120 today from Hobbyone. Haven't opened it yet, but I was wondering if you guys are doing the servo saver mod on these? I have it done on my micros but this one is a little bit bigger and I'm afraid of the arms slipping under sharp cyclic movements.
Couchking is offline Find More Posts by Couchking
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 10, 2012, 04:35 AM
Joined Jun 2011
567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Couchking View Post
Hey guys,

Just got my v120 today from Hobbyone. Haven't opened it yet, but I was wondering if you guys are doing the servo saver mod on these? I have it done on my micros but this one is a little bit bigger and I'm afraid of the arms slipping under sharp cyclic movements.
yeah...it has been discussed here before....i have no problem flying it with the servo saver mod and also u definately have to get one of bob's slipper clutch to avoid the tail from stripping....or one of benmlee's ...... =)
eugenechong is offline Find More Posts by eugenechong
Old Nov 10, 2012, 04:40 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,167 Posts
Quote:
Hey guys,

You can get replacement servo gears from oomodel and helipal. The oomodel main gear has a longer stalk which seems to prevent stripping.
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw
Old Nov 10, 2012, 09:44 AM
Joined Apr 2010
851 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
Yeah, I suppose your right. The 250 is a nice medium between the micro and 450 size. But the thing is going to be just as costly in a crash. Besides my 450 feels small to me now after flying the X5. I think i'll just stick with the 450 as my staple size for now while i recover from the X5 purchase and try to build batteries and parts supply up for the X5. I don't know what i was thinking wanting to get a 250 size. I should be looking for a used 300X because i can use that RX now. If the heli is no good i can at least review it and then use the RX with beastX anywhere i like. I don't think i'm looking to buy any new helicopters besides the nano any time soon. Though i might consider trading my custom upgraded D05 for something i need, like a AR7200BX or something like that. Otherwise i'm pretty much covered on heli for the time being:

Not only to they cost nearly as much, they take pretty much the same space to fly... (I got my gaui 200 thinking I could fly it in the backyard--- I can only really toss her around at the airfield).

Chief
BHChieftain is online now Find More Posts by BHChieftain
Old Nov 10, 2012, 02:51 PM
Joined Oct 2010
1,232 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHChieftain View Post
Not only to they cost nearly as much, they take pretty much the same space to fly... (I got my gaui 200 thinking I could fly it in the backyard--- I can only really toss her around at the airfield).

Chief
The nice thing about a 200 size is you can fly it at places like baseball diamonds and your smaller parks where no one really goes. You can literally carry it in your vehicle and fly it at basically any open spot. 450 and above just needs a lot more space.....unless you are just one of those fantastic pilots like Tariq who also seems to be fearless since he will fly a 700 3ft from himself.
pmerritt is offline Find More Posts by pmerritt
Old Nov 10, 2012, 11:41 PM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
6,982 Posts
The only reason i want a 250 is because it was looking to be my favorite size in comparison to the 450 i was more comfortable with it and it was safer in a smaller area. It didn't bog down and fight the wind like the 120s do. But after flying the X5 it's a whole new perspective. The 450 seems small and i'm way more comfortable on it now. But a 250 would be nice to fly over at the park, in public places, or when Embry Riddle has their little "fly in" that does not requite AMA but has to be 250 or below size heli for their indoor event.

Anyway, for those who ever argue this is a dangerous hobby, your correct. It's very dangerous. A guy like Tariq, while you have to respect his ability. I'm also sure he very much trusts his heli and his build. But isn't it just stupid to fly a 700 heli 3 feet from your face? maybe it's not a big deal? I don't know. I feel like not enough safety precautions are stressed both here online, in videos and by the vendors and especially the manufacturers themselves. I am probably a little bit guilty of it myself, having done a few adventurous things in videos, i suppose. But take this into contrast. My cousin, a EMT/Firefighter who is a trained motor medic for Daytona beach fire department's Motorcycle medic team, for Bike Week, etc. They go though training on a motor cycle that the police go though. To handle the big bikes and do all the hair pin turns and all that. He was in a very bad motor cycle accident tonight. Someone pulled out in front of him and he laid the bike down and slid into the car. He said that was the last thing he remembers. He was just going for a ride on his personal bike. Which is his hobby. Because of family and work he never gets to ride, hardly ever. So his bike just sits in the garage and he basically washes it and stares at it when he comes home, or modifies it. Like I'm sure some of us do with our helis. So, with his wife and daughter out of town for the weekend he had some time to go for a ride. He was on his way to a friends house to meet up and go riding when this happened. He broke many ribs, femur, pelvis, and who knows what else. So, it's not always your fault when things go wrong. When it does, you might not have time to do anything about it either. I'm sure everyone can understand that current events have me thinking. Anything can happen at any time.
IntegrityHndywrk is offline Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Last edited by IntegrityHndywrk; Nov 10, 2012 at 11:47 PM.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 12:08 AM
Deviant
Joined Jul 2012
1,167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
He was in a very bad motor cycle accident tonight.
I hope your cousin gets better soon. I never been involved into any kind of accidents myself, not even broke an arm or leg in my whole 36 years, but I've seen it happen to other people and it's demoralizing and makes you see things in a different perspective.

Now I'm the kind of guy who takes risks and I'm not afraid of assuming blame, but still I always try to make sure that preventable things are prevented. I know you know what I mean. What happened to your cousin was probably unpreventable, he had no way to know in advance. So are many other things. But so many other things are preventable, like flying close to people, so we must make sure no preventable accidents happen. Or at least that 99%.

Again, I hope you cousing gets better soon. Stay safe.
sbstnp is online now Find More Posts by sbstnp
Old Nov 11, 2012, 01:22 AM
Joined Jun 2011
567 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about ur cousin mate...hope he gets well soon....

I have a trex 250 dfc and I'm in love with it. well of coz compare to the d02s it is not as durable....I've not really had a big crash so far.... just once when I got the gyro gain set up too low n it went spinning....

i reckon the 250 n 300 size is just the right size for the parks.... I will need to go to a big field when I'm flying the 450.....thats y when I asked if it is a bargain to get the 600efl I was in doubt to get it or not.... the size of it is just too big....
eugenechong is offline Find More Posts by eugenechong
Old Nov 11, 2012, 01:43 AM
Joined Dec 2011
3,204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eugenechong View Post
I'm sorry to hear about ur cousin mate...hope he gets well soon....

I have a trex 250 dfc and I'm in love with it. well of coz compare to the d02s it is not as durable....I've not really had a big crash so far.... just once when I got the gyro gain set up too low n it went spinning....

i reckon the 250 n 300 size is just the right size for the parks.... I will need to go to a big field when I'm flying the 450.....thats y when I asked if it is a bargain to get the 600efl I was in doubt to get it or not.... the size of it is just too big....
The 450 and 500 are both a park sized helicopters. You bring something that size to a large RC airfield and you're going to get dirty looks from people for tying up the field with something that small.

Even under the AMA's park flyer standards, the Trex 450 is considered "park sized" and the 500 only misses it by a hair.
Atomic Skull is offline Find More Posts by Atomic Skull
Old Nov 11, 2012, 03:53 AM
Mini CP - Nano CPX - Devo 6
Joined Nov 2010
199 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eugenechong View Post
yeah...it has been discussed here before....i have no problem flying it with the servo saver mod and also u definately have to get one of bob's slipper clutch to avoid the tail from stripping....or one of benmlee's ...... =)
Thanks, I tried looking but could find exact instructions on how to do it specifically for the V120D02S. Do I just make the cut through the entire horn opposite the arm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zadaw View Post
You can get replacement servo gears from oomodel and helipal. The oomodel main gear has a longer stalk which seems to prevent stripping.
I ordered 5 Airy gear sets from a seller on Ebay last week just incase, but I'd rather have the servo saver mod done instead so that I don't have to put the servo out and replace the gears. Thank you for the tip though.

I just got my bird in the air today and it flies great, very smooth and easy to control. I'm having two issues though, one of which I couldn't find an answer to when searching this thread.

1.) Tail twitching/vibrations - seems like a usual occurance, doesn't bother me too much so I guess it's alright.

2.) Motor seems to govern (not sure if this is the right word) itself at one consistant throttle percentage regardless of transmitter input. My current throttle curve is 0-25-50-100, but anything above 25% throttle feels/sounds exactly the same as 100% throttle input. Switching to idle up (100-95-100) makes no difference in the sound of the motor, and I can't perceive any change in head speed either. I'm not sure if this is normal, but the heli also bogs pretty badly whenever I pitch pump with only 50% pitch travel. Has anybody experienced this?
Couchking is offline Find More Posts by Couchking
Last edited by Couchking; Nov 11, 2012 at 04:00 AM.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 09:18 AM
Taiwan, Hsinchu City
Joined Nov 2011
36 Posts
My modified V120D02S only weighted 76g (without battery), with HP08 1S motor and 130X blades it can handle intense tic toc. Many ideas are from ej189, thanks him.
Walkera V120D02S tic toc practice II (1 min 42 sec)
Grant Litmanen is offline Find More Posts by Grant Litmanen
Old Nov 11, 2012, 02:21 PM
Heli Crash Survivor
United States, AR, North Little Rock
Joined Feb 2011
1,066 Posts
Quote:
Thanks, I tried looking but could find exact instructions on how to do it specifically for the V120D02S. Do I just make the cut through the entire horn opposite the arm?

I ordered 5 Airy gear sets from a seller on Ebay last week just incase, but I'd rather have the servo saver mod done instead so that I don't have to put the servo out and replace the gears. Thank you for the tip though.

I just got my bird in the air today and it flies great, very smooth and easy to control. I'm having two issues though, one of which I couldn't find an answer to when searching this thread.

1.) Tail twitching/vibrations - seems like a usual occurance, doesn't bother me too much so I guess it's alright.

2.) Motor seems to govern (not sure if this is the right word) itself at one consistant throttle percentage regardless of transmitter input. My current throttle curve is 0-25-50-100, but anything above 25% throttle feels/sounds exactly the same as 100% throttle input. Switching to idle up (100-95-100) makes no difference in the sound of the motor, and I can't perceive any change in head speed either. I'm not sure if this is normal, but the heli also bogs pretty badly whenever I pitch pump with only 50% pitch travel. Has anybody experienced this?
My 2 2801/walkera RX's 120D02S's tails are rock solid. My 2 Devo RX's 120D02S's are twitchy, well 1 I gave my Son the first one I bought. But I have a new 6 axis Devo version on the way & hope no tail issues with it. As far as your second problem may be a power issue. Try just unplugging your motor/ESC connector & plugging back, maybe it will clear a high resistance spot. Look for maybe bad/cold solider points on power/motor/ESC connectors & touch up with soldering iron & fresh solider.
Crash Survivor is online now Find More Posts by Crash Survivor
Old Nov 11, 2012, 05:32 PM
Brent 黑雁
Canada, AB, Ponoka
Joined Jan 2012
1,756 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant Litmanen View Post
My modified V120D02S only weighted 76g (without battery), with HP08 1S motor and 130X blades it can handle intense tic toc. Many ideas are from ej189, thanks him.
Very nice. You have very good control.
BThirsk is offline Find More Posts by BThirsk
Old Nov 11, 2012, 05:45 PM
United Kingdom
Joined Sep 2011
366 Posts
Sorry to hear about your cousin Integrity, not good to hear anyone getting hurt, hope he comes out the other side good and well.
RotaryC is offline Find More Posts by RotaryC
Old Nov 11, 2012, 07:44 PM
Brent 黑雁
Canada, AB, Ponoka
Joined Jan 2012
1,756 Posts
Quote:

What ever point you have about 18 to 20% pitch, you need the throttle curve to be at about 60% for hover. Any less and you will bog just hovering.
BThirsk is offline Find More Posts by BThirsk