HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 29, 2012, 05:56 PM
United Kingdom
Joined Sep 2011
366 Posts
Hi WEFlyer,

This was my first CP and I love it, its durable, brushless so no having to swap out motors and the geared tail is fine as long as you fit a slipper clutch, and it looks great. I got this with the Devo 10 and like them both. You can dial it down as well to make it fairly docile and increase its responsiveness as your flying progresses - I don't think you will be disappointed.
RotaryC is offline Find More Posts by RotaryC
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 29, 2012, 06:05 PM
Joined Nov 2011
776 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WEFlyer View Post
I haven't had time to read through all the posts but this thread seems like any other heli thread with various issues about the helicopter and various ways to upgrade. Working on a heli won't bother me as I like to see how things work anyway. I guess it boils down to how often you have to make repairs.

So I'm looking to switch from a co-axial helicopter to this one. Seems like I can get parts readily for it from visiting some online stores and I'd like to move to the next level in learning with a CP helicopter. I have Real Flight 6 that I have been practicing my hovering and forward flight. Still need more work in that area but the build on this model looks similar to the larger park flyers like the 250s and 450, which I hope to get in another year or two. So it seems like a good stepping stone but you can't always go by ads for products, which the ads I see for this one says is a good next step heli to get into CP helis.

After getting the basics down for real, I hoping this will be my practice heli down the road for aerobatics before I then try it out on a 250 or 450.

So what's some options as I like the size of the heli? Thank you in advance.
This is definitely a good CP to start with. If you're quick on the throttle hold and fly over grass most times you can just set it on the skids and it'll keep flying. It'll fly quite happily outdoors and is really too fast and powerful for indoor flying.

A 250 or 450 is really far less crashable. A 250 especially will be much more powerful and very very quick so not a beginner heli.
TucsonFlyer is offline Find More Posts by TucsonFlyer
Old Oct 29, 2012, 07:00 PM
Mini CP - Nano CPX - Devo 6
United States, CA, Laguna Niguel
Joined Nov 2010
204 Posts
Hey guys,

I read earlier in the thread that DS35's are the only other non-walkera option for servos. Has anybody sucessfully used the hobbyking 3.7g ones?
Couchking is online now Find More Posts by Couchking
Old Oct 29, 2012, 07:48 PM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
7,148 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbstnp View Post
Yeah looks nice but still 2 days left. Probably will go up to around $250, still a very good deal. Too bad I'm broke too. I have some collecting to do but it will happen in a month or so, so too late .
Maybe I'll get myself a canopy, to have something to drool at

Check this out, Manny flying it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SviEYzQb0dg

But, flight time seems to be short.
Hey man, my v120 would fly like that if i was as good as him. He could definitely fly my Heli like that with the 215 motor. My V120D05CS with the HP08 is capable as well. I'm just not quite there yet. I've only been flying 7 months. I think by this time next year, things will be different. For one i'll have a big fat Gaui Grin from ear to ear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iflyrvs1 View Post
Can someone on here comment and compare on their experiences between the 3 axis and the 6 axis V120D02s. It looks like we are going to be forced to eventually convert to the 6 axis. Thanks Mike
I'm still waiting to experience the 6 axis. But why is it Walkera is forcing you to convert to 6 axis? You know, if you live in the US. There are other brands with more support, local parts and better warranty. So what if the heli is a little crappy (as far as micros like the 130X). They will fix it for free or hand you parts to do so yourself. Not a bad deal, if you don't mind paying a little more so they can offset their losses on replacements. Unfortunately, people outside the US still get the same price tag and none of the support. You can decide for yourself. Try 6 axis and like it or don't. Mark my words, a new version 6 axis will be released soon and the cycle starts over. At least the 3 axis RX is available still.HEY! Maybe the next one will work right for EVERYONE that owns one, like the 3 axis V120D02S seemed to be. But maybe it's all about personal flight style and preference to begin with. Till i fly one, i can't say. But be sure, that the new RX version won't come on the V120d02S, it will be on their next heli release, or a release down the road. Maybe it will be the "New V120D02S V2", or "New, New V120D02S".. Yeah, i'll bet thats what they call it. They should just call it "Go buy the new one".

Quote:
Originally Posted by WEFlyer View Post
I haven't had time to read through all the posts but this thread seems like any other heli thread with various issues about the helicopter and various ways to upgrade. Working on a heli won't bother me as I like to see how things work anyway. I guess it boils down to how often you have to make repairs.

So I'm looking to switch from a co-axial helicopter to this one. Seems like I can get parts readily for it from visiting some online stores and I'd like to move to the next level in learning with a CP helicopter. I have Real Flight 6 that I have been practicing my hovering and forward flight. Still need more work in that area but the build on this model looks similar to the larger park flyers like the 250s and 450, which I hope to get in another year or two. So it seems like a good stepping stone but you can't always go by ads for products, which the ads I see for this one says is a good next step heli to get into CP helis.

After getting the basics down for real, I hoping this will be my practice heli down the road for aerobatics before I then try it out on a 250 or 450.

So what's some options as I like the size of the heli? Thank you in advance.
I loved my v120d02S. Many love the new 6 axis gyro. There IS quality control issues with Walkera resulting in varying performance or defects in their RX units. I can say that 100% is my experience on multiple units. I've never had 2 walkera RX/gyro work exactly the same either. Even the same model number RX, just two different ones.

So again, i loved my V120D02S. I learned a lot on it. But my honest opinion, in retrospect. With only 7 months of flying heli under my belt and currently owning 7 different helicopters from the micro 100 size all the way up to 520 size heli. I have spent thousands of dollars since starting out. I have easily shadowed the $1500 i recently spent on a Gaui X5 3 times over buying Walkera helicopters and replacement parts. My only point here would be, when your ready to get a bigger heli than a 120 size. DON'T GET A WALKERA!!!!! Trust me! You won't regret it. But you might if you don't take my advise. I was too stubburn to accept my heli was most of the cause of alot of my crashes and other problems. This is in reference to my Walkera V450 and 4f200. The v200D03 is not horrible either though. Thats another pretty good one by Walkera, IMO. Otherwise the V120 is a good heli. But since you live in the US. I would have you consider my above comment to iflyrvs. Blade helicopers may not be great quality, but you will get local support and parts replacement and a WARRANTY if you have a good LHS near by, it's even more valuable to pay the extra bit. But you will enjoy the V120 too. If you already have a Devo, it's a obvious choice. But the only one in the Walkera fleet i would ever recommend to anyone as far as CP heli go. My recent experience with Horizon hobby was like a god send compared to the usual "in the dark" customer service you receive from Walkera vendors. If you get any replacement or support at all, it's because the vendor is good (Thanks again to wow hobbies for replacing my brand new defective 2702V) and it might be coming out of their pocket. If you live in the US, that is. Don't let me deter you. Like i said, the v120 is a good heli. Probably better than the 130X by blade in many ways. For learning the v120 might be better. But free parts and repair with Blade helicopters, and help with your heli, face to face, with someone that knows about the heli might go a long way too. It can be a hard decision.
IntegrityHndywrk is offline Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Last edited by IntegrityHndywrk; Oct 29, 2012 at 08:00 PM.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 07:58 PM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
7,148 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Couchking View Post
Hey guys,

I read earlier in the thread that DS35's are the only other non-walkera option for servos. Has anybody sucessfully used the hobbyking 3.7g ones?
You can use ANY servo that will fit and has the same pulse as the walkera servos. Basically if they move in the same direction, they will work. But you will have to work out mounting on your own. I've seen some use tie wraps to hold them together and strapped to the heli. But the other servos don't have the little pegs on the side to click into the Walkera servo brackets. I suppose you can try gluing them too. But again, they have to move in the same way as the WK ones.
IntegrityHndywrk is offline Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Old Oct 29, 2012, 09:16 PM
Joined Jun 2011
570 Posts
so i just came back from shenzhen 2 days ago n got my hand on 2 more of these v120d02s but 6 axis this time. Test flown it yesterday and to be honest the 6 axis is a little way too stable for me as compared to my other 2 3-axis v120d02s. I still like the 'old' d02s better as i think they are 'less sensitive' to mid-air wind.....

i also got a new 6-axis v450 and to be honest the 6-axis on the v450 is actually quite different from the one on d02s....probably it is bigger in size and handle winds better....not too sure how to describe it in words...but i do like the v450 very much....haven't got the chance to fly the 3-axis v450....so can't really compare them.....
eugenechong is offline Find More Posts by eugenechong
Old Oct 30, 2012, 12:36 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Couchking View Post
Hey guys,

Honestly, I don't think it is worth it. You can get replacement servos gears for $2.99 free shipping at oomodel anyway. Strangely enough, I and a few others here have hardly stripped any servo since getting these gears. It is as if the servos know how to behave when replacement gears are available.
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw
Old Oct 30, 2012, 01:18 AM
Mini CP - Nano CPX - Devo 6
United States, CA, Laguna Niguel
Joined Nov 2010
204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
You can use ANY servo that will fit and has the same pulse as the walkera servos. Basically if they move in the same direction, they will work. But you will have to work out mounting on your own. I've seen some use tie wraps to hold them together and strapped to the heli. But the other servos don't have the little pegs on the side to click into the Walkera servo brackets. I suppose you can try gluing them too. But again, they have to move in the same way as the WK ones.
Thanks, I'm looking at picking up a few of the HK 3.7g ones just incase I need them, since Walkera ones are always out of stock at my preferred stores.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zadaw View Post
Honestly, I don't think it is worth it. You can get replacement servos gears for $2.99 free shipping at oomodel anyway. Strangely enough, I and a few others here have hardly stripped any servo since getting these gears. It is as if the servos know how to behave when replacement gears are available.
Are gears available for the tail servo also? I think I read somewhere in this thread that the gears sold by oomodel only fit the cyclics.
Couchking is online now Find More Posts by Couchking
Old Oct 30, 2012, 02:16 AM
Joined Jan 2012
566 Posts
Quote:
I've now used a few of the replacement gear sets from oomodel (with a few more spares on the way - can't have enough of these) and noticed that assembly on which the servo arm mounts is actually slightly longer than the original. There is the possibility that this adds some impact absorption capability to the gearset itself.
OrbitalGolem is offline Find More Posts by OrbitalGolem
Old Oct 30, 2012, 06:07 AM
Joined Jun 2008
70 Posts
Quote:
Could you point to the oomodel link, search servo gears does not return it and I can't find out where it is located on the site.
ju204 is offline Find More Posts by ju204
Old Oct 30, 2012, 06:14 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ju204 View Post
Could you point to the oomodel link, search servo gears does not return it and I can't find out where it is located on the site.
This is the link

http://www.oomodel.com/v120d02s-serv...g-p-62638.html

There are also similar replacement gears on the Helipal site as well. They do not have replacement gears for the tail servo. I agree that the fact that the servo shaft is longer may play a role in protecting the servo.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 07:42 AM
RC Reviews & Tx Setup Guides
United States
Joined Sep 2007
3,492 Posts
Quote:
The V120D02SV2 servos look like they are gluded shut. How do you open them to replace the gears?
Good price on the replacement servo gears!

Tom
Tom Z is offline Find More Posts by Tom Z
Old Oct 30, 2012, 07:49 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Z View Post
The V120D02SV2 servos look like they are gluded shut. How do you open them to replace the gears?
Good price on the replacement servo gears!

Tom
I wonder if the new servos are different from the old ones? I do not have a new V120D02S as I am only using the receiver.

With the old servos, I use a pair of pliers to do it. They are snapped rather than glued shut. As far as I know, only oomodel and helipal are selling them. I use the oomodel gears at $2,99 including shipping.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 01:46 PM
Aspiring Weekend Flyer:-)
New Jersey
Joined Sep 2008
331 Posts
Just getting back online since PSEG restored the power outage dealing with Hurricane Sandy. Thank don't live near the shore.

Thanks for the replies RotaryC, TusconFlyer and IntegrityHndywrk. Part of the issue I seem to being finding is that I have a very nice Futaba 7C to use with an extra receiver handy but everything seems to be BNF to that company's specific radios. Can't seem to find a small heli to add my own equipment. So looking at the Walkera, I was thinking justing going with their basic 6 channel transmitter. Probably my next heli after this purchase would be a 450 as the batteries are as the same ones I use on my Gemini Biplane. I don't have enough front or back space to fly as I live on lot with lots of trees. Room on the driveway to practice hovering but after that, will go to the local school's baseball field.

IntegrityHndywrk, understanding what you are saying about service and parts replacement. I haven't ruled a Blade heli out but I have to investigate the LHS. Most that carry RC equipment are about an hour drive to get, everything else closer have been closing up over the last ten years. I think mail order is driving them all out of business. So if I find my LHS doesn't carry Blade, then I guess I'll have to settle on mail order. Appreciate the information to think about!

Here is information on the HM V120DO2S V2 I am looking at purchasing. It is now a 6 axis gyro.
http://www.helipal.com/walkera-hm-v1...on-devo-7.html
WEFlyer is offline Find More Posts by WEFlyer
Last edited by WEFlyer; Oct 30, 2012 at 01:51 PM. Reason: Forgot link
Old Oct 30, 2012, 01:52 PM
Joined Jan 2012
566 Posts
Quote:
I wonder if the new servos are different from the old ones? I do not have a new V120D02S as I am only using the receiver.

With the old servos, I use a pair of pliers to do it. They are snapped rather than glued shut. As far as I know, only oomodel and helipal are selling them. I use the oomodel gears at $2,99 including shipping.
New razor blade works too. Separate at the top where the tabs are and work down the sides.
OrbitalGolem is offline Find More Posts by OrbitalGolem