HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 29, 2012, 03:32 AM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
7,028 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotaryC View Post
I think I understand, I think were both on the same page but different paragraphs. You've kind of hit on the point mate, a lot of us wouldn't be hear if not for the entry level 'money pits', yourself included I'd assume. My first heli was an Esky Honey Bee v2, which I spent a lot of money in upgrading and repairing and I loved it, still do. That was and is an entry level bird for most people. Same as WK, although my CB100 has tons of flights and I love that also, as I do my V120 - They are not the best (V120 best 120 size though from what I'v read!), we all know that, but they do allow people to get into the hobby on a sensible budget (me and you included) so whilst the budget heli's can grate a little on more seasoned flyers, they have a lot of influence on newcomers (myself included) so we shouldn't be discouraging people, its all a learning curve and to be honest, if I had to spend £275 (my Tator built) plus a transmitter which came with the v120 (thus far), I wouldn't have got into the hobby - the budget helis allowed me dip my toe in, to see if it was for me, and besides, for what they cost, for the V120, worth every penny IMHO

Totally understand you not wanting people going down the same road, thats great, I agree with you, but for someone starting out, a quality bird is a big commitment if they're only in the hobby for 2 months. The cheaper heli's are more enticing, which is a good thing from my perspective, or I wouldn't be ordering parts to build my own 450 now!

*Thanks for the thumbs up on the Tarot, I'm really looking forward to building it!
I think your misunderstanding me. I think the V120d02S is GREAT for starters. Of course this is logical to start with. I would LOVE to fly a "New" one so i can give a honest experience review on the 6 axis. I'm just not going to pay for a Devo after i've been burned by so many Walkera heli and RX.

Your absolutely right. Walkera got me in this hobby, like many others. BUT, as people start in this hobby the natural progression is to get a bigger helicopter. The V200D03 is okay if your stuck with Walkera Already. But the Walkera 450s are a pile. I personally don't like align either. But, if your going to get a 450 or bigger. I think safety concerns are something to SERIOUSLY consider. I am just now of the opinion, after my experiences, that when you endeavor into a large heli and have 3D or LARGE scale flight in mind. You might want to splurge now and get the better stuff so that you do end up going though a V450D01 situation like i did that actually ended up costing me EVERY BIT the amount i paid for my new X5 and DX8 package with RX & telemetry by the end. After replacing servos and electronics and more servos, "Hey maybe it's the motor!"... Whatever, i should have just gave up after the ESC burned up on the second battery, or when the tail servo burned up on the 5th flight. Or when the next servo burned out on the 10th flight. OR... Well, you get the idea. It was a endless chain of good flights, then helicopter failures, then me thinking i finally fixed it, then another lock out or failure! So i just don't want people to go from the V120d02S, a decent little learner heli. To what i did. I'm still waiting to see Walkera release another heli, besides a FP or coax that is 6 axis and worth buying. The master CP looks good for what it is, but not for me.. Sure, Gaui is expensive, maybe even over priced. But like i said. Walkera has the ability to manufacture all of their products. From motors to RX and everything. The down fall is that they researched and developed the gyros and products their self. That spreads their resources thin and the result is obvious, to me anyway. Lower quality products with lots of features, but limited reliability and performance. Even Align does not make all of their parts. Their electronics are outsourced too. Savox makes their servos, for starters. That is why their servos are fairly well regarded, unlike the V450 servos. It's just that Gaui selects from a slightly higher quality/more expensive list of manufacturers for their compnents. So they are more expensive to get started in. Their spare parts are actually really cheap though.

I have not flown in days. Probably a little more than a week. My X5 is nearly done. The wind has stopped from the tropical storms. I might take the v120s out tomorrow and get some air time. I'm hoping my new 2702V replacement from wow hobbies, with the longer antenna wires to (hopefully) fix the lock out issue arrives tomorrow. If it does i might take the V450 up once again. This time hopefully the new RX does not lock me out and drop the heli (again)
IntegrityHndywrk is online now Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 29, 2012, 03:46 AM
Joined Sep 2009
11 Posts
Is better sliper clutch than metal tail pinions??

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53...84.m1497.l2649
planatlas is offline Find More Posts by planatlas
Old Oct 29, 2012, 05:16 AM
Joined Jun 2008
70 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by planatlas View Post
Is better sliper clutch than metal tail pinions??

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53...84.m1497.l2649
I tested none of them, but it seems to me that metal pinion is the best way to destroy the heli. Lot of soft parts in the tail that are not designed to support high pressure, imo it is better to let the pinion break or use a slipper.
Some users reported that the clutch might not be ideal for 3D (or at least invert), some users demonstrated the opposite (a video in the previous page I believe).
ju204 is offline Find More Posts by ju204
Old Oct 29, 2012, 06:52 AM
Joined Sep 2009
11 Posts
thanks.
planatlas is offline Find More Posts by planatlas
Old Oct 29, 2012, 08:42 AM
Deviant
Joined Jul 2012
1,172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
Oh man, scramble for some cash because i found a deal.
It's easier to fix than build.
Yeah looks nice but still 2 days left. Probably will go up to around $250, still a very good deal. Too bad I'm broke too. I have some collecting to do but it will happen in a month or so, so too late .
Maybe I'll get myself a canopy, to have something to drool at

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
The 915 does not compare to the 215's head speed. It's probably a good torquing motor though. The 215 is actually overkill for the stock pinion. So the 915 will probably ride in a little nicer with it's lower output. Either will be nice, but the superior motor, i think, is the HP08-S but it has to be the highest rated one at 16,500kv. Even the 16,300kv extreme motor is nothing compared to any of these motors. I own all of them except the 915. I have not put the hp08S on my v120d02S. It's output is absurdly high and it's much better for the V120d05CS. That heli needs the high head speed to up the tail rotor speed due to poor tail ratio. Both the 215 and the hp08 seem to be close contenders with the hp08 being just slightly higher rpm i think. I have not done any actual RPM testing or number crunching. But just in my experience of using them all.

Oh yeah. Flight times are short with the stock battery. But running the beefier hp08 on my D05 airframe is better with longer flights because the heavier tail on the D05 accommodates a bigger battery very nicely.
Check this out, Manny flying it:

Walkera V120D02 with Turbo Ace 915 motor from www.WowHobbies.com (2 min 50 sec)

But, flight time seems to be short.
sbstnp is offline Find More Posts by sbstnp
Last edited by sbstnp; Oct 29, 2012 at 08:53 AM.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 10:37 AM
United States, OR, Vernonia
Joined Dec 2004
126 Posts
120 versus 120 new

Can someone on here comment and compare on their experiences between the 3 axis and the 6 axis V120D02s. It looks like we are going to be forced to eventually convert to the 6 axis. Thanks Mike
iflyrvs1 is offline Find More Posts by iflyrvs1
Old Oct 29, 2012, 10:58 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iflyrvs1 View Post
Can someone on here comment and compare on their experiences between the 3 axis and the 6 axis V120D02s. It looks like we are going to be forced to eventually convert to the 6 axis. Thanks Mike
I am currently flying a 6 axis and 3 axis V120D02S and I prefer the 6 axis. It seems to provide a smoother and more precise flight. Flips and rolls are smoother and less jerky. Transitions from upright to inverted or vice versa are more predictable. However, there are many who complained of unwanted correction by the 6 axis gyro, especially during sports circuit flying. I haven't seen any of this correction with my V120D02S although I fly in a small field. However, I got quite a bit of correction with my Master CP whereas others are happy with theirs.
zadaw is offline Find More Posts by zadaw
Old Oct 29, 2012, 10:58 AM
Joined Jan 2012
556 Posts
Quote:
Plenty of reviews comparing the two previously in the thread - search back between 15-20 pages and you'll see comments about the two.

My $0.02 worth - stock up either on 3-axis receivers or V120D02S V1 birds. I like 3-axis better.
OrbitalGolem is offline Find More Posts by OrbitalGolem
Old Oct 29, 2012, 11:14 AM
Live to learn. . .
Austin, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,489 Posts
Quote:
I've been having a good time with the 6 axis. Seems like others haven't, and maybe it's a consistency in production thing, I don't know. I've flown a 3 axis version a few times, but not enought to be able to really compare. I can hover inverted, but it's not like I'm a 3D monster like Manny. Here's what Tom Z and I have to say about the 6 axis version, in case you haven't found these threads yet:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1689848
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1753742
Rafa's CB100 is offline Find More Posts by Rafa's CB100
Old Oct 29, 2012, 11:26 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,172 Posts
What I found was that there is little difference with stationary flips and rolls, inverted hovering and flight. The big difference is with moving transitions i.e. half-flips or rolls during forward flight. They were just much more hairy with the 3 axis gyro. I am trying to fly airplane style pattern aerobatics at the moment and the 6 axis gyro really helped.
zadaw is offline Find More Posts by zadaw
Last edited by zadaw; Oct 29, 2012 at 11:49 AM.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 12:00 PM
AKA Shane
Utica, MI
Joined Sep 2009
296 Posts
I've got both. Like zadaw says, it is all in moving transitions. I can do funnels with the 6 axis, I cannot get the 3 axis to do it - crashes every time. Flips and loops, better with the 6 axis too. I feel like the 6 axis just flies a little better, feels like a bigger helicopter.
hz6b9k is offline Find More Posts by hz6b9k
Old Oct 29, 2012, 12:50 PM
This is gonna hurt.........
USA, OR, Sandy
Joined Mar 2009
242 Posts
Man, I would love to see his tx settings he used for that video.
nwcudaman is offline Find More Posts by nwcudaman
Old Oct 29, 2012, 03:37 PM
United Kingdom, England
Joined Oct 2012
31 Posts
Mine flies nothing like that . . . there must be something wrong with it !
Xascent is offline Find More Posts by Xascent
Old Oct 29, 2012, 05:02 PM
Heli Crash Survivor
United States, AR, North Little Rock
Joined Feb 2011
1,069 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xascent View Post
Mine flies nothing like that . . . there must be something wrong with it !
Who ever you bought yours from must of sold you a lemon/dud. May want to see if you can RMA it. Just kidding, did you notice it was Manny flying it with a hotter motor & different main blades & who knows what else.
Crash Survivor is offline Find More Posts by Crash Survivor
Old Oct 29, 2012, 05:46 PM
Aspiring Weekend Flyer:-)
New Jersey
Joined Sep 2008
331 Posts
I haven't had time to read through all the posts but this thread seems like any other heli thread with various issues about the helicopter and various ways to upgrade. Working on a heli won't bother me as I like to see how things work anyway. I guess it boils down to how often you have to make repairs.

So I'm looking to switch from a co-axial helicopter to this one. Seems like I can get parts readily for it from visiting some online stores and I'd like to move to the next level in learning with a CP helicopter. I have Real Flight 6 that I have been practicing my hovering and forward flight. Still need more work in that area but the build on this model looks similar to the larger park flyers like the 250s and 450, which I hope to get in another year or two. So it seems like a good stepping stone but you can't always go by ads for products, which the ads I see for this one says is a good next step heli to get into CP helis.

After getting the basics down for real, I hoping this will be my practice heli down the road for aerobatics before I then try it out on a 250 or 450.

So what's some options as I like the size of the heli? Thank you in advance.
WEFlyer is offline Find More Posts by WEFlyer