HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 19, 2012, 06:26 PM
United Kingdom
Joined Sep 2011
366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BThirsk View Post
For those of you with Devo TX who are like me and never remember to set your timer, I just ran accross someone who is way smarter than me who has instructons on how to link to your throttle so the timer starts at 1% throttle.
No more forgetting to turn it on.
http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=420971
I need to update my firmware, I'm currently on ver 0.6.0.2 which has the reverse affect apparently, starts the timer at zero stick and stops the countdown above that, which is kind off funny - Obviously have to update my firmware tomorrow! Still made me giggle though
RotaryC is offline Find More Posts by RotaryC
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 19, 2012, 08:11 PM
United Kingdom
Joined Sep 2011
366 Posts
Off topic, but I did say I wanted a build, which meant I wasn't much drawn to the combo kits, so I just pushed the button on a Tarot 450PRO V2 Flybarless Basic Kit / Silver, which came with free shipping from MM which was cool. Will probably still get a 250 for xmas but I just want to build a half decent 450, something to tinker with! Not going to order any parts until I receive it, then will order what I want and start the build.

Off topic I know, sorry guys!

EDIT: Anyone know any decent, active Tarot 450 FBL threads?
Last edited by RotaryC; Oct 19, 2012 at 08:28 PM.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 08:31 PM
RC Reviews & Tx Setup Guides
United States
Joined Sep 2007
3,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotaryC View Post
I need to update my firmware, I'm currently on ver 0.6.0.2 which has the reverse affect apparently, starts the timer at zero stick and stops the countdown above that, which is kind off funny - Obviously have to update my firmware tomorrow! Still made me giggle though
You can reverse this. Go into "Stick Postion Switch" and set "ON" to High.
I just tried this now before I posted this.

Tom
Tom Z is offline Find More Posts by Tom Z
Old Oct 19, 2012, 08:33 PM
United States
Joined Sep 2007
3,492 Posts
Quote:
You're welcome. Maybe you could add that link to you blog so others could find it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Z View Post
Thanks for posting this.
I just tried it on my Devo 10, works great!

Tom
Quote:
For those of you with Devo TX who are like me and never remember to set your timer, I just ran accross someone who is way smarter than me who has instructons on how to link to your throttle so the timer starts at 1% throttle.
No more forgetting to turn it on.
http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=420971

Good idea. I will add it to my blog and also to my reviews that use the Devo TX.

Tom
Old Oct 19, 2012, 08:40 PM
United Kingdom
Joined Sep 2011
366 Posts
Quote:
You can reverse this. Go into "Stick Postion Switch" and set "ON" to High.
I just tried this now before I posted this.

Tom
Thanks Tom, just tried it, works great Thank you (I wanted to try something like this earlier on but time was not permitting) - Your a star, thanks again
Old Oct 19, 2012, 08:49 PM
United States
Joined Sep 2007
3,492 Posts
Your welcome, glad I could help out!

I really like using the throttle stick to start and stop the timer.
I just did flight times for my Hoten X review and set my throttle stick for stopwatch.
This is much better than using my hand timer which I have to hit start and stop every minute to measure the battery voltage.

Tom
Old Oct 19, 2012, 08:59 PM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
6,978 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ej189 View Post
For a big heli there always be a BEC issue caused by high frequency of servo usage to over heated the BEC and going to protection sequence, that may cut off BEC power for seconds especially in 3-axis gyro systems and equipped with high speed digital servos. That may explain why ground test be fine but failed in air. Therefor using extra BEC rather than built-in BEC form ESC is safer for a large heli, IMO.

I flew EP200 with 2702V but never got any blockout problem cause I don't use such powerful servos that may eat out the current form BEC. Also I had checked out there would not be any binding issue in any situation that may raise the current flow greatly.
Your input is appreciated. I agree about the BEC. Though there are many others flying these same servos/RX with the stock Walkera ESC and other ESC like Castle ICE 50A. Maybe not the same Hobbywing platinum ESC i use. My heli flew fine with the last RX for around 30 flights. Then i install this one new one, and an immediate repeat of the same issue which cost me hundreds of dollars with the last RX i had with this very same issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkfuji View Post
If I were you, I would request the Rx with the longer antennae leads as a replacement. There is a reason Walkera made the modification. Both Manny and myself experienced a lock out flying the short lead V2 Rx's on both the V450 and V500's. After our test flights, Walkera made the modication to the Rx leads. I do have a new V500 with the new Rx and it flies fine with no lock outs even in hard 3D. The firmware is just not that great for Manny's type of aggressive flying (and I don't like flying the big helis anymore) so she sits in my hobby room collecting dust. Its unfortunate that Walkera did not keep the firmware from V1 (which flew amazing) and flashed it into V3. Hopefully there is an update coming for the 2702 soon.
I greatly appreciate you chiming in on this. Sometimes i just get worked up. It's nice to know I'm not completely crazy sometimes. I know people flying big helis for months at a time with no crashes except dumb thumbs. I've only thumbed my v450 into the ground once, and it was recently. Otherwise every single crash has been failure related and i have rebuilt the V450 with all new electronics. My 4f200 required just as much replacement of parts. But after they flew great! Except the thes 2 particular 2702V. I have no doubt right now i could take my other v450 and fly it with the "good" RX. Then if i switched out the RX for either of these other two "bad" ones. I'd get a total black out in 30 or so seconds. I'm just not going to try it I hope wow can get them exchanged though Walkera. I was sooooooooo mad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ej189 View Post
That reminds me there also be a static electricity issue often seen in large heli.
In Florida, no static this time of year. Humidity is at 80%-100% until, well, always! But it's always a possibility, i suppose.

Thank you all for your help, comments or criticisms about my v450. I have not heard any stories like this when people use Spektrum TX with a RX and Microbeast or 7200BX on Gaui X5, X7 and other helis. Though in the manual for the AR7200BX it does mention that when using it on 500 and bigger size heli that a "satellite receiver" should be used. The idea is it adds antenna to compensate for "blind spots". So i plan on getting an X5 with BeastX. I'll definitely give my unbiased opinion after spending all the money on that German BeastX tech. Weather or not it's worth it, well, i'll let you know. I also plan on trying the 130X and nano out.

So far NO Walkera heli i have tried competes with the V120D02S right out of the box. I'd put my money on the V200D03 as being nearly as good right out of the box as well. Now with all the upgrades i put into the V120d02S i can do prolonged 3D, slow tick-tocks and all kinds of flipping and rolling all over the place. The 130X main blades really completed the performance with the heli. But those light blades do not play well with the gyros, especially in wind/gusts. One last thing, i took the 130X tail blades off. They were just horrible. They looked good but performed not so great. I am now back to the stock type blades. The heli is more stable now i think.
IntegrityHndywrk is offline Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Old Oct 19, 2012, 09:03 PM
United Kingdom
Joined Sep 2011
366 Posts
Quote:
Your welcome, glad I could help out!

I really like using the throttle stick to start and stop the timer.
I just did flight times for my Hoten X review and set my throttle stick for stopwatch.
This is much better than using my hand timer which I have to hit start and stop every minute to measure the battery voltage.

Tom
I had my timer set on the mix switch before this, but this is much better!
Old Oct 19, 2012, 09:12 PM
United Kingdom
Joined Sep 2011
366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
One last thing, i took the 130X tail blades off. They were just horrible. They looked good but performed not so great. I am now back to the stock type blades. The heli is more stable now i think.
Can't comment on the rest of the stuff mate, I don't know enough, but I know you like to see your blades (don't we all!) can you not use the V120D01 tail blades, if memory serves correct (and it rarely does) they have a spot of yellow on them and I would think would be a perfect fit?
Old Oct 19, 2012, 09:33 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,978 Posts
Quote:
Can't comment on the rest of the stuff mate, I don't know enough, but I know you like to see your blades (don't we all!) can you not use the V120D01 tail blades, if memory serves correct (and it rarely does) they have a spot of yellow on them and I would think would be a perfect fit?
Those are the very ones I installed tonight, yup Have not flown yet. Just test hovered using them in the drive way. It was pitch black out so i just wanted to see if it would hover and hold the tail right. The extra weight on the tail rotor seemed to smooth out the flight.

You know. On my v450 i don't really care what color the blades are. The tail blades kind of look nice when they are yellow though. But you just don't need to see them as much. I don't actually ever look at the tail rotor for my orientation, so it's mostly just to make things match. Looks good on camera too. Showing off is fun if you can right?
Old Oct 19, 2012, 09:39 PM
United Kingdom
Joined Sep 2011
366 Posts
Quote:
Those are the very ones I installed tonight, yup Have not flown yet. Just test hovered using them in the drive way. It was pitch black out so i just wanted to see if it would hover and hold the tail right. The extra weight on the tail rotor seemed to smooth out the flight.

You know. On my v450 i don't really care what color the blades are. The tail blades kind of look nice when they are yellow though. But you just don't need to see them as much. I don't actually ever look at the tail rotor for my orientation, so it's mostly just to make things match. Looks good on camera too. Showing off is fun if you can right?
You aint wrong mate, its got to look good, thats part of the fun is it not Figured with the yellow on them they would look good with the yellow blades, I have the yellow blades en-route, so will probably fit the D01 blades as well if they fly ok on yours (I wont be doing any 3D obviously!) - but they will match, which is always cool aint it!
Old Oct 19, 2012, 10:13 PM
United States, ND, Bismarck
Joined Mar 2012
296 Posts
Quote:
. One last thing, i took the 130X tail blades off. They were just horrible. They looked good but performed not so great. I am now back to the stock type blades. The heli is more stable now i think.
I agree, I tried the kdbb 130x tail blades, they would not hold. What works for me is to take a toe nail clipper and cut about 1/8" off the stock tail blades. Then I can turn the gain up to like 78, which makes the tail hold much better. With regular stock tail blades I had to turn tail gain down to like 65, which makes the tail kind of sloppy on my setup (2s governed 4600 rpm).
flint723 is offline Find More Posts by flint723
Old Oct 19, 2012, 11:30 PM
This is gonna hurt.........
USA, OR, Sandy
Joined Mar 2009
242 Posts
Works great

Just did this timer setting on my 8S and it's working great!..too cool!!
nwcudaman is offline Find More Posts by nwcudaman
Old Oct 19, 2012, 11:38 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,978 Posts
Quote:
You aint wrong mate, its got to look good, thats part of the fun is it not Figured with the yellow on them they would look good with the yellow blades, I have the yellow blades en-route, so will probably fit the D01 blades as well if they fly ok on yours (I wont be doing any 3D obviously!) - but they will match, which is always cool aint it!
The D01 blades will work fine. Same type of blades on all these v120 sizes. Just different colors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flint723 View Post
I agree, I tried the kdbb 130x tail blades, they would not hold. What works for me is to take a toe nail clipper and cut about 1/8" off the stock tail blades. Then I can turn the gain up to like 78, which makes the tail hold much better. With regular stock tail blades I had to turn tail gain down to like 65, which makes the tail kind of sloppy on my setup (2s governed 4600 rpm).
Where did you get a Governor/Governed ESC for such a small heli? I'm fairly sure if i go 100% throttle on the 215 motor and 130X blades i'm at around 5k rpm. I'll have to tach it some time. I don't like to run at 100% i've settled around %70. Which is probably around 4600 rpm or so. Not sure, never really busted out a tach for these little ones. Just guessing. I'm not sure i would prefer a 2S setup. But a governor would be sweet if it actually kept the head speed steady and functioned properly.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 01:42 AM
Joined Dec 2011
3,204 Posts
Quote:
So i plan on getting an X5 with BeastX. I'll definitely give my unbiased opinion after spending all the money on that German BeastX tech
You know you can get a Gaui X5 super combo with a microbeast for $899, or is that what you're taking about?
Atomic Skull is offline Find More Posts by Atomic Skull