HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 16, 2012, 09:53 PM
Brent 黑雁
Canada, AB, Ponoka
Joined Jan 2012
1,772 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zadaw View Post
I have heard of the small Trex 250 tail blades being used but I don't have a set right now. If you want to try, be aware that there is a larger set of 250 tail blades that will probably not fit. If you are flying backwards, it doesn't necessarily mean that bigger tail blades will be better. So I would be inclined to try a selection of different sizes.
The V120 blades are 32.6mm from mount hole to tip. The 250 blades are 40mm.
They get very close to the ground. The root is 1.06mm on the V120 vs 1.60mm on the 250. The 250 blade is also .40mm thicker so the weight would be a lot more.
I didn't take them of to weigh though, I'm just going by extra size.

And I got my miniCP today and had a short flight indoors after setting up the TX.
It is just like flying a smaller V120. I was quite impressed so far.
BThirsk is online now Find More Posts by BThirsk
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 17, 2012, 02:24 AM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
7,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by candy76man View Post
lol, my wife gets irritated everytime I mention how something that happened reminds me of a southpark episode
That is because south park is actually very intelligent and also potty humor at the same time. They almost always use current events and major issues as a basis for their episodes. So, usually you can relate something they are doing because what they do, in reality, is take real life happening, things people really do, say or like i said, current events. Whatever it is, they exaggerate the hell out of it and in the process make you laugh. It's pretty genius i think. Laugh for laugh nothing i can imagine has caused more people to laugh for longer than south park. Family guy might be catching up now since they have been added to like 5 networks as reruns. But they are not quite as intelligent as South Park though. But just as funny, and in some cases, more so.

Walkera Says: Welcome to City Helicopters, how may i take you order prease.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfmateos View Post
Zadaw, what do you think about using the t-rex 250 tail blades on the v120d02s, in combination with the Solo Pro white blades? I've seen those tail blades here at this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_VztwefImU
The trex 250 tail blades come in 37, 39, and 42mm. Like BThirsk already said, the trex 250 tail blades are also thicker at the root. So just like the 130X tail blades, the tail grips will bend to accommodate, but only the one side will give way. That is causing the blades to tip at an angle making the tail rotor shaped like a boomerang as shown in the photo below. I think the 250 blades are thicker than these 130X blades also. So that would make the tilting effect shown in the photo below worse. I have been flying with them like this with no noticeable problems. Other than it looks funny and is just not proper.

Just FYI guys, for those that don't know. Blade length is measured from the tip of the trailing edge to the bottom point of the trailing edge. At least that is official size usually printed on the package. Of course the total length of the blade from the screw hole to the tip could be all different sizes also in contrast. Even though 2 different blades are, say 37mm, that does not mean their total length will be the same.
IntegrityHndywrk is offline Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Old Oct 17, 2012, 04:15 PM
United Kingdom
Joined Sep 2011
366 Posts
Hi all,

Has anyone on here got a 250 sized heli (sure plenty have!) - how to they compare to the V120 size heli's?
RotaryC is offline Find More Posts by RotaryC
Old Oct 17, 2012, 05:00 PM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,528 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotaryC View Post
Hi all,

Has anyone on here got a 250 sized heli (sure plenty have!) - how to they compare to the V120 size heli's?
I have some that I never fly any more.. They are older flybar ones and they are way to much of a pain to fix and re-setup right.. And I have to go to the flying field to fly them where the V120D02S fits on my driveway just fine.. Being a chicken poop and not liking to hurt myself or others due to my poor flying skills. I feel the V120D02S fits my needs as a some what safe heli for me..
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Old Oct 17, 2012, 05:25 PM
United Kingdom
Joined Sep 2011
366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by livonia bob View Post
I have some that I never fly any more.. They are older flybar ones and they are way to much of a pain to fix and re-setup right.. And I have to go to the flying field to fly them where the V120D02S fits on my driveway just fine.. Being a chicken poop and not liking to hurt myself or others due to my poor flying skills. I feel the V120D02S fits my needs as a some what safe heli for me..
I'm happy with the V120, its more then I need at the moment, was just curious
Old Oct 17, 2012, 05:33 PM
Spain, Madrid, M
Joined May 2012
87 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
The trex 250 tail blades come in 37, 39, and 42mm. Like BThirsk already said, the trex 250 tail blades are also thicker at the root. So just like the 130X tail blades, the tail grips will bend to accommodate, but only the one side will give way. That is causing the blades to tip at an angle making the tail rotor shaped like a boomerang as shown in the photo below. I think the 250 blades are thicker than these 130X blades also. So that would make the tilting effect shown in the photo below worse. I have been flying with them like this with no noticeable problems. Other than it looks funny and is just not proper.

I used a file to reduce the thickness of the trex 250 tail blades just a little bit so that they fit inside the grips, and they did not look like a boomerang, and also, I think it's less probable that the grips break this way.
alfmateos is offline Find More Posts by alfmateos
Old Oct 17, 2012, 05:51 PM
Joined Nov 2011
776 Posts
Quote:
Hi all,

I've got a T-Rex 250 PRO DFC with the 3GX. There's really no comparison between the two, the 250 is a whole giant step up from the 120. Maybe the best way to put it is to say that the 250 is to the V120D02S as the D02S is to my M120 when it was on the RX2618 (lousy POS RX).

The 250 is really much much more precise, the pitch and roll rates make the 120 feel sluggish, it's also quite a bit more powerful. I suspect the 250 is a much less inherently stable heli and really shines because of the software (this isn't a bad thing, see the F-16 ) The 250 is also less tolerant of setup. My 120 will fly half broken and still do well. Definitely two different classes of heli.
TucsonFlyer is offline Find More Posts by TucsonFlyer
Old Oct 17, 2012, 06:06 PM
Brent 黑雁
Canada, AB, Ponoka
Joined Jan 2012
1,772 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TucsonFlyer View Post
I've got a T-Rex 250 PRO DFC with the 3GX. There's really no comparison between the two, the 250 is a whole giant step up from the 120. Maybe the best way to put it is to say that the 250 is to the V120D02S as the D02S is to my M120 when it was on the RX2618 (lousy POS RX).

The 250 is really much much more precise, the pitch and roll rates make the 120 feel sluggish, it's also quite a bit more powerful. I suspect the 250 is a much less inherently stable heli and really shines because of the software (this isn't a bad thing, see the F-16 ) The 250 is also less tolerant of setup. My 120 will fly half broken and still do well. Definitely two different classes of heli.
I agree.
I am still using the stock flybar on my HK250. When set up correctly, it is manageable but requires a lot more attention than the V120.
A good comparison the Phoenix Sim is a Blade SR and the Trex250. The Blade SR is the closest thing I could find to the V120.
BThirsk is online now Find More Posts by BThirsk
Old Oct 17, 2012, 06:11 PM
WarpQuad, Flip260FPV, etc.
Tampa,FL
Joined Dec 2003
1,337 Posts
I have changed my v120d02s to the devorx and am having a issue.

basically it starts getting very erratic when I get going fast, flaring up and fighting me. With the old rx (2801 compatible) I could fly as fast as the heli could move without issue in any direction.

My first instinct is that the gyro needs to be turned down but it's already at only about 25% open which is much lower than any of my other walkera rx gyros run at properly, usually around the 50% mark is about right.

I have heard the devo rx doesn't like ff flight as much due to the 6 axis but is it really this much worse than the old 2801 compatible rx I had?
candy76man is online now Find More Posts by candy76man
Old Oct 17, 2012, 06:38 PM
United Kingdom
Joined Sep 2011
366 Posts
Quote:

basically it starts getting very erratic when I get going fast, flaring up and fighting me. With the old rx (2801 compatible) I could fly as fast as the heli could move without issue in any direction.

My first instinct is that the gyro needs to be turned down but it's already at only about 25% open which is much lower than any of my other walkera rx gyros run at properly, usually around the 50% mark is about right.

I have heard the devo rx doesn't like ff flight as much due to the 6 axis but is it really this much worse than the old 2801 compatible rx I had?
Hi,

I can't speak from much experience but could that not be a vibration problem, when the motor/blade speed increases? Also, from what I've read, should this gyro not be a little higher than that to work correctly?
Old Oct 17, 2012, 06:41 PM
Joined Jun 2008
70 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
For anyone who is using the extreme skids and wondered. Below is how i mount my ESC to the airframe/rx shelf. This also helps eliminate ESC vibes from effecting the gyro.
That's very valuable information, since I am installing it right now and needed to figure out a way to fix it.
I also have 2 questions:
- What are the 2 ergots inside the battery mount doing there? It makes it hard to install the battery and scratch it. What did you guys do? Just cut it?
- What am I supposed to do with the 2 elastics included in the kit?
ju204 is offline Find More Posts by ju204
Old Oct 17, 2012, 06:47 PM
WarpQuad, Flip260FPV, etc.
Tampa,FL
Joined Dec 2003
1,337 Posts
Quote:
Hi,

I can't speak from much experience but could that not be a vibration problem, when the motor/blade speed increases? Also, from what I've read, should this gyro not be a little higher than that to work correctly?
No vibrations on it, it flies very smooth and stable at lower speeds (ground speed, not rotor speed) but it gets almost uncontrollable when I start moving fast.

Maybe it is that the gyro is too low, I'll play around with it some more tomorrow and find out.
candy76man is online now Find More Posts by candy76man
Old Oct 17, 2012, 07:39 PM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
7,260 Posts
Quote:
Hi all,

The main difference between a 250 and a 120 is crash recovery. If you put a 250 into the dirt, it will go to the bench and probably cost you at least $20-40 depending on what you have to repair and what brand/model you have. It will fly much better and actually are more stable as they get bigger. So when your ready a trex 250 or clone is a good option. The Guai X2 is looking VERY attractive to me as well. It's a little bigger than the 250. Hell it's got to practically be a 300. It's pretty sweet, but the blades are expensive and hard to find sometimes. Like all gaui helis, i think. Excellent product, but they don't have mass production capabilities like some of the other brands. This is a good thing. As long as it stays that way, you can be sure quality probably won't slip.

Quote:

I run my 2622V (2801-pro) at like 1/8 to 1/4 turn from zero. It's even less than that on the same RX installed on my D05. But i'm using 130X blades, so i turned them down even more, actually. Anyway. Turn down the gyro, see if it helps. Turn it down more. You can play around with it. It's not going to break by adjusting the screw

Also, did you get the new 6 axis rx? If so, chances are that is your problem right off. The 6 axis RX will constantly try to level the helicopter out. So in extreme FFF the heli is tipped very far forward. Sometimes to the point of blades edge orientation. The 6 axis gyro will keep trying to correct that and the result will be a crash at some point banking a turn too fast and drifting out or whatever. If what you are experiencing is "feeling" like the gyro is fighting you. I'm guessing you have the 6 axis gyro RX. Otherwise the gyro being too high on the 3 axis will result in "wobbles" or servo oscillation from blade feedback being to sensitive. I actually have this reaction a lot on my D02S with the 130X blades because the blades are so light. 3 axis gyros prefer heavy blades for better feedback so the gyros know what is going on. Lighter blades tend to flail around a bit more and not pick up the more subtle changes in wind or the wind will just create oscillations. Which is why the stock D02S blades are the weight they are. I am uploading one of my best flights ever on the D02S right now. It shows the wobble effect. I'm sure what you are experiencing is the 6 axis gyro "fighting" you. It's possible you just need to update the RX too? I don't know how these things work. I'll stick with the 2801 till i can't any more then move on to something else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ju204 View Post
That's very valuable information, since I am installing it right now and needed to figure out a way to fix it.
I also have 2 questions:
- What are the 2 ergots inside the battery mount doing there? It makes it hard to install the battery and scratch it. What did you guys do? Just cut it?
- What am I supposed to do with the 2 elastics included in the kit?
Well, you would only use the elastics if you use a bigger battery like a 850 or 950 mAh pack. They are longer so you use them as straps. I pretty much leave those "ergots" there. Sure, the D02S battery kind of scrapes by. But my original D02S battery from all the way back when i got the heli in march is still flying strong. The pouch is pretty durable. Unless it's gouging badly, i wouldn't worry too much. You can sand them down if you really want to. I leave them because my 950 mAh packs are longer but thiner. I actually had to install a CF plate in shim the battery cage on my custom V120D05 "S" upgraded model. Take a look:
IntegrityHndywrk is offline Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Old Oct 17, 2012, 08:01 PM
Joined Jun 2008
70 Posts
Quote:

Did you try to reload default setup for your TX on v120d02s from walkera site?
I have been doing lot of ajustments, and at some point my heli became uncontrollable. Reloading default was a fresh new start with acceptable values.
Now I do backup my TX config just in case.

about you specific problem, you might take a look at your curves, specifically TH at mid and high and PITCRV.
Also make sure the servo extend is not to much which can make the heli really weird at the extrems.
My gyro is set at 50 / 70 / 85 (nevertheless I am really not the best expert here in terms of TX setup)
ju204 is offline Find More Posts by ju204
Old Oct 17, 2012, 08:28 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,295 Posts
Quote:

My 6 axis V120D02S flies very smooth and this is my pot settings. I suspect if your gyro gain is too low, the correction by the accelerometers become much more prominent. I prefer the 6 axis to the 3 axis as it provides a much smoother flight, especially when doing transitions while the heli is moving slowing in mild 3D flight. I have never seen the corrections that others talked about with the V120D02S. However, I have the problem with the Master CP whereas others do not.

zadaw is offline Find More Posts by zadaw
Last edited by zadaw; Oct 17, 2012 at 08:33 PM.