Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 14, 2012, 06:40 PM
Heli addicted.
Joined Jan 2012
232 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
So since the wind is being so ruthless. I brought out the v450, which was more stable but still having some trouble.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUv8QTiCrC8&feature=plcp
i would really scared to fly my 450 with this wind.

And by the way you were right(once more) >Benmlee's clutch didn't solved the tail drifting during inverted flight.I think i will keep my 120s though until a v2 130x will come out with all the issues solved.
amartolos is offline Find More Posts by amartolos
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 14, 2012, 07:08 PM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
6,492 Posts
If i'm not mistaken upgrade and replacement parts have been made to fix the issues with the 130x? Either way. With such a small heli, you never know. The 130X might have a reverse issue too. Just keep in mind that real helicopters cannot fly in reverse. At least not very fast. There are many cases of real helicopter crashes because of a very strong wind blown up the tail side too. Most helicopters just can't handle it. The physics of how the tail rotor works is to blame. Think about it like this. Flying in reverse the tail rotor is in front, so the lighter part of the heli is out in front. Physics alone will want to push the heavier part forward. Like throwing a dart backwards. It will always flip around. But then when you add in the wind factor. The slightest amount of change in the tail's angle while moving in reverse will account for much more drag in either direction, left or right. So the tail will grab the wind in which ever way it is strongest and be forced in that direction. The tail has to work very hard to hold! The gyro and servo needs to be very fast and have a superb control over the tail to hold it because of the constant and sometimes very fast changes needed. Having a faster tail servo with more torque would definitely help. But there is no way a heli with a tail motor like the nano can change speeds fast enough to hold the tail in reverse. At least not in fast reverse. Plus a tail motor can't change thrust directions. It can only spin up and counter torque the main rotor to turn one way or shut down the tail rotor to spin the other way. It can't push the tail both ways like a CP tail. I, for the life of me, don't know why they don't make a CP/direct drive tail. That seems like logical progression to me!

Anyway, even the best gyros have some trouble with reverse flight if things are not tuned. Bigger heli seem to have a better time with it.
IntegrityHndywrk is online now Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Old Oct 14, 2012, 07:24 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,126 Posts
I would try tail blades of different sizes to see whether it makes any difference with reverse flight.
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw
Old Oct 15, 2012, 12:13 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,492 Posts
Currently using the 130X tail blades. They are light and a little more narrow. They just don't fit properly. But they do work. Have not been able to test reverse yet. Too damn windy here. Plus i'm still re-tuning the v120 for the new blades. With the 130X blades, it's almost like i didn't even need an upgrade motor. Because i'm now running the 215 with a 10T pinion @ 45% throttle at neutral for stunt mode. It's got tons of power still and the head speed is of course ridiculous at 100% throttle. Once i get the overpowered pitch control and get used to the super sensitive cyclic now. I'm going to love these blades. The tail blades are till up in the air. Not sure if they will stay.

Unfortunately there are not many tail blades available that will fit the V120 without modification/grinding. I'm still looking for a wider tail blade for the D05.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 12:27 AM
V120D02S, GCP
United States, CA, Pasadena
Joined Feb 2012
142 Posts
I had a great time this weekend flying the d02 in a big field with a basketball court to land on. No crashes and it flew nicely after dialing a few things in. Not obvious to me was that you have to set the throttle trim all the way down or the blades dont stop at bottom stick. The t-hold doesnt function either unless it is set to about -15% throttle. I didnt try any stunts as there were people around and I would probably crash if I didnt hit them and ruin a satisfying weekend.
LarsDennert is offline Find More Posts by LarsDennert
Old Oct 15, 2012, 01:59 AM
RC Reviews & Tx Setup Guides
United States
Joined Sep 2007
3,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsDennert View Post
I had a great time this weekend flying the d02 in a big field with a basketball court to land on. No crashes and it flew nicely after dialing a few things in. Not obvious to me was that you have to set the throttle trim all the way down or the blades dont stop at bottom stick. The t-hold doesnt function either unless it is set to about -15% throttle. I didnt try any stunts as there were people around and I would probably crash if I didnt hit them and ruin a satisfying weekend.

Sounds like a setting in your TX is not correct.
Also you should have the throttle trim at center and TH hold at 0.0%.
What TX are you using?

I have TX setup guides here.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1325037

Tom
Tom Z is offline Find More Posts by Tom Z
Old Oct 15, 2012, 02:29 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotaryC View Post
Hi all,

Heli kept spinning, figured the servo might be bad after all so switched it out, also changed the push rod incase it was binding (as there were easier to do than the tail gears which I'd never messed with before) - still spinning, did some reading up and figured I'd rounded out one of the D holes, so decided to fit bobs clutch and replace all gears whilst I'm tinkering (why not!) 2 hours later of fiddling, taking things apart that I didn't have to and putting them back on mid clutch assembly and its sorted, slipper clutch works a treat! Only thing I did do was over tighten the outer collars screw and took the head of it, which should be fun when I come to do any work on the tail gear next time round

All in all, was a great learning curve, why it took me so long I'll never know other than I was checking and double checking everything as my other spares aint turned up yet

Can you get the outer tail collars on their own or do you have to order a tail shaft?

I found them, i think. At least this is what i saw previously. I don't know if they fit the D02S but they are from the V120d01.

Old Oct 15, 2012, 03:30 AM
The Netherlands, NB, Eindhoven
Joined Aug 2009
291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsDennert View Post
Not obvious to me was that you have to set the throttle trim all the way down or the blades dont stop at bottom stick. The t-hold doesnt function either unless it is set to about -15% throttle.
That is actually a firmware v1.0 issue of the V120D02S RX, as stated on the Walkera website (you need to login to view this):

Quote:
2012-08-23 NEWV120D02S telemetry programe document v1.1 version released V1.1 Note:
1: Itís necessary to use the UP02 and UP02 adaptor for this upgrade steps.
2: The program provides improved throttle lock set a negative value appears related death, throttle BUG
2012-06-20 NEWV120D02S telemetry programe document Vv1.1 version released V1.0 Note:
1: Itís necessary to use the UP02 and UP02 adaptor for this upgrade steps.
2: This upgrade software support telemetry function , the radio can monitor batteryís voltage and temperature.(Itís necessary to install the temperature sensor in the helicopter)
I flashed mine to v1.1 and throttle is working nicely. You need the UP02 plus the adapter though.
j0bro is offline Find More Posts by j0bro
Last edited by j0bro; Oct 15, 2012 at 07:48 AM.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 06:45 AM
RC Reviews & Tx Setup Guides
United States
Joined Sep 2007
3,492 Posts
That is interesting. My V120D02S V2 RX must have had the new firmware version installed when I bought it as it was a fresh batch of them.
I flashed my RX anyway to make sure. When you flash the RX it will read v1.0 even after the firmware update.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...1&postcount=31

Tom
Tom Z is offline Find More Posts by Tom Z
Old Oct 15, 2012, 06:54 AM
Creator of the 1st 6S HT-Flip!
United States, TN, Clarksville
Joined Dec 2011
3,431 Posts
@ integrity I'm bot sure if you seen my post on the bottom if the last page bur if your not interested that's fine to. Just thought I'd offer since I don't use mine.
flohio117 is offline Find More Posts by flohio117
Old Oct 15, 2012, 08:25 AM
Joined Jun 2008
70 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by j0bro View Post
That is actually a firmware v1.0 issue of the V120D02S RX, as stated on the Walkera website (you need to login to view this):
I flashed mine to v1.1 and throttle is working nicely. You need the UP02 plus the adapter though.
I had this issue where the motor still turns sometimes at 0% throttle. It just happens from time to time (5% of the time I would say).
Thanks for this advice, I ll try the firmware 1.1 and see if this improves.
ju204 is offline Find More Posts by ju204
Old Oct 15, 2012, 09:21 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flohio117 View Post
@ integrity I'm bot sure if you seen my post on the bottom if the last page bur if your not interested that's fine to. Just thought I'd offer since I don't use mine.
I did actually miss it. But checked it out now. I already have a sim, thanks. I think someone else was asking which one to get though. Someone else might be interested. You should list it in the classifieds.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 03:00 PM
WIFE HAND LAUNCHED MY PLANES!
Joined Jun 2009
2,130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ju204 View Post
I had this issue where the motor still turns sometimes at 0% throttle. It just happens from time to time (5% of the time I would say).
Thanks for this advice, I ll try the firmware 1.1 and see if this improves.
1. - Someone here told me to bring the the throttle trim all the down ('till it stops).
2. - Then -12.5% TH setting.
3. - & on Normal mode throttle curve setting, "LOW" is also set all the way down ('till it stops).

& It solved the stupd throttle hold issue that makes both my 120 blades spin during TH & normal coming from stunt mode flight mode.
Imagine this happening (blades go ballistic), hitting TH to save the heli . oh, WACKera!
Using 8S,
- Spyro

* New firmware did not solve the issue to me with both V120D02S (6axis)
Spyro37 is offline Find More Posts by Spyro37
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Spyro37; Oct 15, 2012 at 04:00 PM.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 04:29 PM
Brent 黑雁
Canada, AB, Ponoka
Joined Jan 2012
1,744 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyro37 View Post
1. - Someone here told me to bring the the throttle trim all the down ('till it stops).
2. - Then -12.5% TH setting.
3. - & on Normal mode throttle curve setting, "LOW" is also set all the way down ('till it stops).

& It solved the stupd throttle hold issue that makes both my 120 blades spin during TH & normal coming from stunt mode flight mode.
Imagine this happening (blades go ballistic), hitting TH to save the heli . oh, WACKera!
Using 8S,
- Spyro

* New firmware did not solve the issue to me with both V120D02S (6axis)
Have you updated your 8S to the latest TX firmware. I think that is also suppose to have throttle postion fixes. I have it, but have not installed yet.
I have the same issue with my V400D02. I have to set -42 on the throttle subtrim to keep the rotors from spinning with or without TH. It's the only heli I have the issue with.
BThirsk is offline Find More Posts by BThirsk
Old Oct 15, 2012, 05:31 PM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
I found them, i think. At least this is what i saw previously. I don't know if they fit the D02S but they are from the V120d01.

The tail one will work on the S the main one will not.. These are what I buy to replace the tail collar ones that I screw up while drilling, tapping, screwing the set screw into them.. I have a lot of the main shaft 4#6/4G6 and all V120's but the "S" models size collars on hand... I even took one and drilled it out to the right shaft size for the S and installed set screws in it after I broke off one of the screws and had to cut the collar off with the Dremel tool. Must say that it sure locks the collar in place on the shaft now.. I was thinking of offering them as a upgrade for the S but it's very hard to drill out the shaft hole correctly every time..
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Last edited by livonia bob; Oct 15, 2012 at 07:05 PM.