Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 13, 2012, 11:09 AM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
6,812 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbstnp View Post
I'll get a sim to begin 3d training, which I suck badly at. Except some flips I can't do much, so the sim practice will help be get better over winter. It's a win-win, I get to fly and get better at it.
Come on!!!! Everyone starts somewhere. You can't just be good Practice is key. You'll enjoy the sim. Like you said, flying on rainy/snow/cold days is a plus. On top of that you can meet up with friends or people from here and fly online. I think it even has voice communication if you wanted to set it up and use it. Not a bad deal really for the price. If you think about how many people pay $60 a pop for a PS3 video game that they complete or are bored with in 2-3 days. So, when you think about it like that. Paying double for a sim is not so bad. Sure you could probably almost buy a new heli, but when when you realize it is a learning tool that will also let you do what you want, which is fly on days you will not be able to. Save money in crashes. Honestly the learning curve couldn't be shrunk any quicker any other way. You crash and a predetermined amount of time later a brand new heli is built for you! HELL, 20 years ago in the RC world people would have gone into shock and died if they were told such a device was available to them for so cheap. Thinking "You mean i could have learned on that, instead of spending thousands of dollars fixing my planes?".

Once you get it, just remember it will get boring quickly. So set yourself some lesson plans or at least set a goal and work on that one thing till you get bored. Or something. You'll kind of need to entertain yourself with it eventually. There are some training courses and thing you can do. Nothing spectacular. They are kind of like games. They even have a bomb drop! pretty cool! But you have to use a plane but hey you get that too. Learn to fly fixed wing also if you haven't already.

Oh yeah, the most annoying thing will be setting it up with your TX. I use a 2801-pro so i can't be much help. But the idea would be to set it up with it's own model data for the sim only. Then calibrate the sim to use all the TX's features. That is the complex part. Once it's done you should be able to use all channels/switches as controls in the sim. You will want to be able to do that too. Then hook your laptop up to the big screen with an hdmi and have fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotaryC View Post
I got them from WOW, they ship to the UK.
You guys might try helidirect.com too. I can't check because I'm not in the UK, however, based on my past experience with them. They probably will ship Int. They are pretty quick, have telephone support and everything. I trust them as much as wow, but wow sometimes ships/arrives quicker depending on when you place your order. I think wow will ship on weekends from time to time, especially during holidays when they might not be open the following monday. Where as helidirect, does not ever seem to ship on Sat and domestic shipping on bigger orders seems to be a few, as in 2 or 3, dollars cheaper with wow. Ebay is also always an option i would think for some things. But i find both of those sites to be very reliable. I have never had any "stocking" issues where i ordered something they did not have available or had any other issues like that with them.
IntegrityHndywrk is offline Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2012, 11:44 AM
United Kingdom
Joined Sep 2011
366 Posts
Buzzflyer are good for quick shipping (they're based in the UK), although they are a little pricey but if I need something fast, I use them (out of servo's at the moment though!)
RotaryC is offline Find More Posts by RotaryC
Old Oct 13, 2012, 12:43 PM
Joined Jun 2008
70 Posts
OK, I never ordered on WOW because I thought they would not ship int. I still believe it is hard to get the right info on their site:
http://www.wowhobbies.com/faq.aspx#1
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
You guys might try helidirect.com too. I can't check because I'm not in the UK, however, based on my past experience with them. They probably will ship Int.
By the way, I broke the small ball on the tail steering today. Would you think it is a good idea to upgrade it to a metal part? Not sure cuz it's 3 times more expensive that the genuine part, and it could eventually bend on crash ...
http://www.wowhobbies.com/hm-4g6-z-0...ovus125cp.aspx

By the way, did anyone do the mod to get the servo system under the boom instead of over it?
ju204 is offline Find More Posts by ju204
Old Oct 13, 2012, 01:12 PM
Brent 黑雁
Canada, AB, Ponoka
Joined Jan 2012
1,756 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ju204 View Post
OK, I never ordered on WOW because I thought they would not ship int. I still believe it is hard to get the right info on their site:

By the way, I broke the small ball on the tail steering today. Would you think it is a good idea to upgrade it to a metal part? Not sure cuz it's 3 times more expensive that the genuine part, and it could eventually bend on crash ...

By the way, did anyone do the mod to get the servo system under the boom instead of over it?
I was looking at doing it when I knocked the same ball off. I decided against it because the blades would spin the opposite direction. I thought the might create more issues than it was worth. I just added some deflectors to try and keep the blade from hitting the linkage.
BThirsk is offline Find More Posts by BThirsk
Old Oct 13, 2012, 03:27 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,812 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ju204 View Post

I just use a piece of very sticky electrical tape to hold the rod in, hopefully. I wouldn't spend the money on the CNC parts. I would use a little CA when you screw in the ball link though. The plastic is fine for this heli.

For anyone who is using the extreme skids and wondered. Below is how i mount my ESC to the airframe/rx shelf. This also helps eliminate ESC vibes from effecting the gyro.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 08:36 PM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,522 Posts
Quote:
I just use a piece of very sticky electrical tape to hold the rod in, hopefully. I wouldn't spend the money on the CNC parts. I would use a little CA when you screw in the ball link though. The plastic is fine for this heli.

For anyone who is using the extreme skids and wondered. Below is how i mount my ESC to the airframe/rx shelf. This also helps eliminate ESC vibes from effecting the gyro.

Can't believe that you of all people haven't covered the bare tip of the antenna wire with something to make sure you don't get a short... I use a dab of hot glue but that electrical tape we know you have is better than nothing..
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Last edited by livonia bob; Oct 13, 2012 at 09:17 PM.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 09:34 PM
Deviant
Joined Jul 2012
1,161 Posts
Quote:
You crash and a predetermined amount of time later a brand new heli is built for you! HELL, 20 years ago in the RC world people would have gone into shock and died if they were told such a device was available to them for so cheap. Thinking "You mean i could have learned on that, instead of spending thousands of dollars fixing my planes?".
Haha I'd pay a lot just to be able to go back in time and snap some photos!!!

Quote:
Once you get it, just remember it will get boring quickly. So set yourself some lesson plans or at least set a goal and work on that one thing till you get bored. Or something. You'll kind of need to entertain yourself with it eventually. There are some training courses and thing you can do. Nothing spectacular. They are kind of like games. They even have a bomb drop! pretty cool! But you have to use a plane but hey you get that too. Learn to fly fixed wing also if you haven't already.
That's what I was afraid of, but again I never touched a sim before, so who knows. The goal thing is a nice idea, thanks for the tip.
sbstnp is offline Find More Posts by sbstnp
Old Oct 13, 2012, 09:58 PM
Joined Mar 2012
1,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by livonia bob View Post
Can't believe that you of all people haven't covered the bare tip of the antenna wire with something to make sure you don't get a short... I use a dab of hot glue but that electrical tape we know you have is better than nothing..

Bob,
Thanks for that one! Again something I never thought of but this time of year with dry air and an exposed antenna wire....ZAP...there goes an expensive RX.
I do remember your tip on glueing also...the bigger the glob...the better the job.
I might not put a big glob on my antenna wire tip ( I remember that was for landing gear repairs), but there will be enough there to protect from static shorts. The hot glue gun is heating up now.
Again Thanks!!

Viking
A VIKING is offline Find More Posts by A VIKING
Old Oct 13, 2012, 10:26 PM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbstnp View Post
Haha I'd pay a lot just to be able to go back in time and snap some photos!!!

That's what I was afraid of, but again I never touched a sim before, so who knows. The goal thing is a nice idea, thanks for the tip.
I take a break from flying heli's on the sim and fly my 200% size Beast with the turbine engine that weights just under a pound.. I fly at the lake side so I can stick the tail in the water while hoovering it.. Or go screaming around the sky in a jet..

It's fun being able to do stuff that I dreamed about doing 60 years ago..

But I still wish now that I had waited two more years before getting back into heli's.. As my shelf full of heli's shows, buying each new model (some times two of them) as they came out takes up a lot of space and money in spare parts for heli's that I don't fly any longer as each newer one has been easier to fly, breaks less and is easier to fix and that's just what I need....
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Old Oct 13, 2012, 11:38 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,812 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by livonia bob View Post
Honestly I've never found it in a position that would seem like it would short out. So i guess i just never thought to do it. It's actually usually tucked under kind of like in the battery tray. But i suppose your right. It's not like i can replace the RX either. So...
Old Oct 13, 2012, 11:40 PM
WIFE HAND LAUNCHED MY PLANES!
Joined Jun 2009
2,144 Posts
Quote:

@amartolos - I don't think i would consider the Nano CPX as a replacement for the v120. More like a toy to use when you can't fly the v120 outside. The guys flying in that video you posted were very experienced. Don't forget you'll need to upgrade to BL motors or replace the motors every 50 or so flights. Plus the tail motor will hold MUCH worse than the d02s in reverse flight. So it would be cool for in the house without worry of breaking it or damaging your house. But for a replacement of the D02S look at the 130X. It looks like it's going to smack the v120 down. I need to fly one of these things. I wish some of you guys lived closer
@IntegrityHndywrk, The V120 is nowhere near the performance of the 130X. The 130X flies like a larger heli.
I'm very new to the hobby and can NOT do the all the tricks that you guys do with your 120s. I can 3D my 130X with great comfort but not with the V120. Stability and power plays a big role for me as a newbie. The V120 cost me more than my 130X due to mods, reapairs, & upgrades, forget about the repair time which is part of the hobby. The 130X's parts are very durable and I usually walk away with no broken parts, just as long as TH is toggled early enough. I have yet to strip any gear (tail/main/TT). I broke a blade grip on maiden when I smacked it to a building wall. It's got countless flights and bad crashes that the linear servo's worm gear shaft broke last Thursday. One great thing with linear servo, they can take crashes without stripping. Replacement servo won't be in 'till Tuesday. So the 300X & the V120 flew a lot today.
But I can't 3D them (300X & V120) low, unlike my 130X
After flying this morning, I just can't help it, so I stopped by at the LHS & ordered another/spare 130X. I don't want to have a "down time" again.
Yes, it has tail issues (vibration) but fix is now available for $4. Installing silicon O-rings on the 3 Swash ball links takes care of it.
- Spyro
Spyro37 is offline Find More Posts by Spyro37
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Spyro37; Oct 13, 2012 at 11:59 PM.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 12:29 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,812 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyro37 View Post
@IntegrityHndywrk, The V120 is nowhere near the performance of the 130X. The 130X flies like a larger heli.
I'm very new to the hobby and can NOT do the all the tricks that you guys do with your 120s. I can 3D my 130X with great comfort but not with the V120. Stability and power plays a big role for me as a newbie. The V120 cost me more than my 130X due to mods, reapairs, & upgrades, forget about the repair time which is part of the hobby. The 130X's parts are very durable and I usually walk away with no broken parts, just as long as TH is toggled early enough. I have yet to strip any gear (tail/main/TT). I broke a blade grip on maiden when I smacked it to a building wall. It's got countless flights and bad crashes that the linear servo's worm gear shaft broke last Thursday. One great thing with linear servo, they can take crashes without stripping. Replacement servo won't be in 'till Tuesday. So the 300X & the V120 flew a lot today.
But I can't 3D them (300X & V120) low, unlike my 130X
After flying this morning, I just can't help it, so I stopped by at the LHS & ordered another/spare 130X. I don't want to have a "down time" again.
Yes, it has tail issues (vibration) but fix is now available for $4. Installing silicon O-rings on the 3 Swash ball links takes care of it.
- Spyro
Yeah, It's way to windy here for the v120s. 30+ mph today. So i crashed again! The v120d05 custom with it's extra weight actually flies smoother in this weather and with these blades too i think. Still working on tuning for them. I've had to reduce throttle, DR and add some Expo. The heli is still way responsive. I just need to get used to it or slow it down a little more. It's really going to have some good flight times and extended 3d stamina from before. I don't like not having a heli to fly either. But it happens some times.

I don't think i've kept the D02 in the air for more than 30 seconds since getting these blades

V120D02S - Crash again with 130X blades! 30+ mph winds. (0 min 22 sec)

So since the wind is being so ruthless. I brought out the v450, which was more stable but still having some trouble.

V450D01 - 30+ Mph winds (5 min 29 sec)
Old Oct 14, 2012, 02:09 AM
WIFE HAND LAUNCHED MY PLANES!
Joined Jun 2009
2,144 Posts
When you see the grass dancing, that's definitely some crazy wind.
My morning flight today was just 5-8mph.

The 130X blades on the V120 makes the heli feel light and more responsive
Much be more obvious with your upgraded motor.
I tried going back to stock blades just for kicks, it felt weird like something is wrong .
Did not really noticed any difference with the flight times.
Spyro37 is offline Find More Posts by Spyro37
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 130X Build
Old Oct 14, 2012, 02:40 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,812 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyro37 View Post
When you see the grass dancing, that's definitely some crazy wind.
My morning flight today was just 5-8mph.

The 130X blades on the V120 makes the heli feel light and more responsive
Much be more obvious with your upgraded motor.
I tried going back to stock blades just for kicks, it felt weird like something is wrong .
Did not really noticed any difference with the flight times.
Yeah, i think the wind has really been messing with me. I just need to get used to the new extra light feel of the thing. Maybe tomorrow will work out better.

For me, the 215 motor eats the stock battery. I keep crashing so i'm not sure. But i'd think since i reduced the throttle so much for st-1, it's at like 50%-60% in the center now. So i'll probably get a little better flight times out of it. But the D05 with the 950 mAh 25C packs there is a little increase. I can get about 5 minutes of 3d now instead of 3-4 minutes. Hoping for the same result on the D02S.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 04:18 PM
Creator of the 1st 6S HT-Flip!
United States, TN, Clarksville
Joined Dec 2011
3,450 Posts
@ integrity I have realflight g5 with the controller and stuff I could sell you for $150 I've only used it maybe 20 times. The controller is in perfect physical and working condition. I just never use it. If $150 is to steep let ne know I just want to sell it for a fair price.
flohio117 is offline Find More Posts by flohio117