IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
6,645 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel07 View Post
here short video all trims in TX 0 and look heli go left how i corect this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yu08x...ature=youtu.be
That does not look so bad. if you find the "monitor" in your TX it might show that your ail is always pushing to the left. If that is the case you can try using subtrims to correct it. But what i did was very technical to fix my 2801-pro with this kind of issue. It involves opening the TX and resoldering or bending potentiometers into place so on the gimbals so that it will sit center. Otherwise I would just fly it like that. It's not that bad and you might be the one setting it in that direction when you lift off. Because a CP heli will not hover still without drifting. It will always start to drift on you! If you input a slight left before going into hover it will drift that way.

I don't know how well this workl but i'm trying google translate:
זה לא נראה כל כך רע. אם אתה מוצא את "צג" בטקסס שלך זה עשוי להראות שail תמיד דוחף לשמאל. אם זה מקרה אתה יכול לנסות להשתמש subtrims כדי לתקן אותו. אבל מה שאני עשיתי היה טכני מאוד לתקן 2801-pro שלי עם סוג זה של בעיה. היא כרוכה בפתיחת טקסס ופוטנציומטרים מלחים מחדש או כיפוף למקום כל כך על gimbals כך שהוא יושב במרכז. אחרת הייתי פשוט להטיס אותו ככה. זה לא שרע ואתה עלול להיות זה שמגדיר אותו בכיוון זה כאשר אתה להמריא. כי חלי CP לא מרחפים עדיין ללא נסחף. זה תמיד מתחיל להיסחף עליך! אם קלט שמאלי קלה לפני שנכנס לריחופו ייסחף בדרך זו.
IntegrityHndywrk is online now Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 09, 2012, 04:21 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,645 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotaryC View Post
Hi Samuel07,

All heli's pull to the left on take off, put a little right cyclic in on take off, get some height and see if it does the same thing (although I'd assume you've done that!). If it does, then the info you've been given so far should cure it :/
This is also sort of true, it's because of the tail thrust compensation.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 05:48 PM
OpenGL C/C++ programer
Israel
Joined Dec 2006
771 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel07 View Post
here short video all trims in TX 0 and look heli go left how i corect this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yu08x...ature=youtu.be
Hey Samuel, PM me with your question in hebrew.
axelen is offline Find More Posts by axelen
Old Oct 09, 2012, 07:14 PM
Joined Jun 2008
70 Posts
Thanks for your answers about blades.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
I use a reflective tape myself. I think it came from a automotive store or hardware store. It came with 3 different rolls.
I will try to get tape, short term it seems the best option.
Quote:
That being said. I just put in an order for the KDBB main and tail blades for the 130x. I'm hoping they perform better than the stock blades. I tried the 140mm CF blades again today and i just do not like them.
There is really a huge choice of colors. I am very interested in your feedback about the behavior of the V120 with these blades!
ju204 is offline Find More Posts by ju204
Old Oct 09, 2012, 08:03 PM
RC Reviews & Tx Setup Guides
United States
Joined Sep 2007
3,492 Posts
zadaw,

If you buy the V120D02S V2 and later on when you get good at 3D can you buy
and put on the RX-2622D for hard 3D or is this not a good RX and or helicopter for hard 3D?

Tom
Tom Z is offline Find More Posts by Tom Z
Old Oct 09, 2012, 08:59 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Z View Post
zadaw,

If you buy the V120D02S V2 and later on when you get good at 3D can you buy
and put on the RX-2622D for hard 3D or is this not a good RX and or helicopter for hard 3D?

Tom

Tom, I have been flying the 2622D and 2636H-D receivers side by side recently. The 2636H-D definitely flies smoother and the 2622D is rather jerky in comparison. For example, if you rolling upright to inverted or vice-versa during slow flight. The heli will lose much more height with the 2622D

In any case, the flips are quite skewered and non-axial with both the 2622 and 2636. That is why it is difficult to do continuous moves unless you are very experienced. You will probably need to upgrade the motor to do tick-tocs and other hard moves.
zadaw is offline Find More Posts by zadaw
Old Oct 09, 2012, 09:37 PM
United Kingdom
Joined Sep 2011
366 Posts
@IntegrityHndywrk, I notice below your name it has 'victim of V450...' I thought the v450 was a decent 450 for a RTF model looking at the reviews it got when it was released, is this not the case?

I forgot to mention (I think) that my new landing gear arrived from WOW last week, credit where credits due, thanks WOW, decent delivery time considering I only had standard shipping, the TX battery arrived in good order and in good time also. No problems with using them again.
RotaryC is offline Find More Posts by RotaryC
Last edited by RotaryC; Oct 09, 2012 at 09:55 PM.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 10:37 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,645 Posts
Quote:
@IntegrityHndywrk, I notice below your name it has 'victim of V450...' I thought the v450 was a decent 450 for a RTF model looking at the reviews it got when it was released, is this not the case?
Well, This is the V120d02S thread but since you asked, and i feel it's important for people to understand these basic concerns. Here we go:

The v450 is pretty good, sort of... But not really. I've said it before. Walkera's motto should be "We make helis that fly, sort of!". If your goal is harder 3D moves than no, save your money and get something else. But it will flip and roll and fly inverted. All the basic stuff if your just looking for a cheap heli to do that with. The heli will fly normally "non 3d" quite well and it will handle fairly aggressive 3d pretty well too. More so with the upgrade servos. It has a VERY strong air frame. Believe me, i have smashed it and crashed it BUNCHES. The normal parts will always need to be replaced/fixed. Main shaft, FS, blades, main gear. Some times the swash or blade grips break and you have to replace those. So all in all. Durability wise, it's not that bad. I have managed, with upgrades and changes to my helicopter. To maintain an average repair cost in a crash of about $20-30. Not bad right? Except i recently found out, i think and am kind of hoping. That i am the victim of a bunk RX that was causing random brown/black outs on my heli. This caused me to replace all of the electronics multiple times before trying a new RX. Then when i used the new RX i had the ESC set wrong and it caused a issue. I figured it was just the RX and heli being horrible for maybe the last week now. Because i used 2 different RX and 3 different sets of motor/ESC. So today i actually reinstalled the new RX and flew 6 packs with absolutely no issue. However!!!!! The gyros in the 2702V just are not the best if your goal is hard 3D. Tick-tocks and things can be done but it requires much precision on your part to correct for drifts in the tail and banking on the aileron axis. So the gyros just don't hold as tight as say a 3gx or beastX. But they are good enough to learn on. EXCEPT FOR! Now this is the important part. There are MAJOR SAFETY concerns to be had with flying the V450 with stock servos/electronics. This can cost you major money in repairs, property damages, personal injury and worst of all. Some people might chalk it up as a random "oops" or just a single defective part and keep buying their servos over and over.

V450D01 Safety Concerns:

The servos! They are not Quality controlled well enough. The general design leads to regular failure via electrical short circuit. Below is an image of the internal 09-9 cyclic servos for the V450. You can see how the motor leads are left looped over the PCB and on top of the fet. The silicone jacket on the motor leads is not enough protection from the heat of this PCB and attached fet. So the jacket melts resulting in a short circuit premature to the fet actually going bad. Because when they start to run that hot, the fet is not going to last much longer anyway. Long story short, the service life on the V450 servos is probably only a few hours tops! On top of that there is no gear replacements or any type of repair parts for the servos. However they are pretty damn durable! But even new out of the package they have enough play or "slop" in the gears to oscillate the gyros. They are just horrible to fly with, and a huge safety concern!

Some people will reroute the wires and things. But in reality, it's just prolonging the inevitable. I have do so as well, with 3 sets of stock servos. They all send the bird to the ground with the same result each time.

So most people end up installing Align or Savox servos. But there is a further safety concern to be found in the ESC. The design of the ESC's PCB is rather ridiculous, IMO. I'm not even an electrical engineer and i know i would not lay thin silicone jacketed wires over internal components the way they seem to purposefully do. Check out how the Throttle wire from the ESC can melt also and short out just from tie wrapping to tightly at the factory or, yourself. In this photo i am pointing out the point where the jacket on the wires melted and made contact with the solder joint between the, what looks a transistor and the capacitor.

This was the result on the flip side:

Unfortunately I've had similar experiences with the 4f200 ESC too. The bigger helicopters that Walkera is making will fly. But they are not as quality as an Align or something else. In the end you will end up with as many spare parts as you will need to build a 2nd heli just because of the servos and things... Thats why i have 2 of them now. I figured maybe i can just sell the new one with all the upgrades already. As a learner, using something like the V120 is excellent. When your ready to move into a bigger helicopter. You should already have all your orientations down and everything before trying to fly a 450 or bigger. They are dangerous. So in my opinion, the way Walkera are targeting new pilots is fine, but their big helicopters should be more toward the intermediate/experienced side of things. So they simply must have a reliable, decent heli if it's that big. You can't just have it falling out of the sky every 2 hours of flight. They MUST change their servos and ESC. Otherwise though, in construction aspect. The heli has damn near Align V1 FBL clone mechanics with it's own unique air frame. So it's pretty good.

A V450 upgraded like mine will fly exceptionally nice. There is just some modification to be done to the servo horns and things like that after a crash if you have to replace them. The nice thing about the upgrade servos is that Savox/Align are the same brand. Savox makes the servos for them. So you can always find replacement servo horns. They make them brittle enough so that the horn breaks in a crash instead of your servo (hopefully). So over all the upgrade servos are smoother, more responsive and will flip the heli faster. But to buy a new heli and install the servos, replace the ESC and all of that you'd be in the $700 range. I think an Align or something would be better, easier to deal with and find parts at the LHS. But i'm not selling my new V450 build for that much either. Probably around $500 with a TX and batteries and some other stuff. You can see the build log here. It is a new heli, and i don't fly it. It does not actually have a RX attached at the moment either.

Honestly, at the moment the only heli walkera makes that i 100% trust as stock is the v120d02S. All others have needed modification. Even the slipper clutch is not absolutely needed. But the V200D02 is pretty nice too. Especially after changing the ESC out. They are great learner heli. The one nice thing about the V450 is that the parts are not that expensive and some are interchangeable with Align parts, that are actually cheaper and better made. If you can believe that. HA, Buying Align parts saves me money over buying Walkera parts. And everyone thinks Walkera is so cheap in comparison to better mfg. I just don't see it. They could afford to shave a little off their MSRP across the board and still make out at the end of the year. Believe it. I'd still love to see a profit report from them for 2011.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 11:04 PM
United Kingdom
Joined Sep 2011
366 Posts
All good info, thanks for explaining. I'm not looking to move up to a 450, although I was thinking of the future - still in love with the 120d02s, I can't praise it enough! its my first CP and I have banged it about a little and the only thing that got damaged is the tail servo horn,and tail ball linkage (that was a bad crash though) and the original landing skids which I was changing for xtreme anyway. Not fitted bobs clutch yet and even after going backwards tail first into a decking post, still no damage to the gears (although the clutch is getting fitted when the new servo horn arrives!

CB100 and this is enough for me at the moment, orientations are fine with the CB100 but with the faster v120, I need more practice I think! Only other thing I'm considering getting at the moment is a losi 1/24 sct for flirting round the carpet, and possible a 3ch champ trainer plane but not got the space for that really (heli's stop when you want them to haha)

V120d02 was definitely the right choice for the level I'm at. Very, very happy with it, and the DEVO 10 They both look cool as well! Always a bonus!
Old Oct 10, 2012, 02:10 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,645 Posts
Quote:
All good info, thanks for explaining. I'm not looking to move up to a 450, although I was thinking of the future - still in love with the 120d02s, I can't praise it enough! its my first CP and I have banged it about a little and the only thing that got damaged is the tail servo horn,and tail ball linkage (that was a bad crash though) and the original landing skids which I was changing for xtreme anyway. Not fitted bobs clutch yet and even after going backwards tail first into a decking post, still no damage to the gears (although the clutch is getting fitted when the new servo horn arrives!

CB100 and this is enough for me at the moment, orientations are fine with the CB100 but with the faster v120, I need more practice I think! Only other thing I'm considering getting at the moment is a losi 1/24 sct for flirting round the carpet, and possible a 3ch champ trainer plane but not got the space for that really (heli's stop when you want them to haha)

V120d02 was definitely the right choice for the level I'm at. Very, very happy with it, and the DEVO 10 They both look cool as well! Always a bonus!
Absolutely, the V120d02S is a great little heli! I love mine! I also love my v120d05. In many ways it's better than the D02S now with upgrades. But i'm thinking about selling that one too. But as far as micros go i really enjoy flying them both. They just struggle in the high winds here and prolonged 3d does not last very long with them. I just desperately need a better, bigger, quality heli like a Gaui. So if the price is right almost any of my current heli might get sold. Tough i will probably just battle these walkera things till i'm broke. At least the 450 is flying nice now, so, that will hold me over for now.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 02:33 AM
Deviant
Joined Jul 2012
1,142 Posts
Pff sometimes I am jealous on you 450+ size flyers. I don't have a field near by and I'm too lazy to drive for 1 hour just to go through some packs, so v120/130x is the biggest I can fly in my back yard. But I love my d02s.

And to stay on topic, I blew up my anto-rotation guide on the rotor head, clipped a tree branch. Lost a link too, but nothing else is broken (didn't check FS though, could be bent). The anti-rotation guide must've had some defect as it's the first I break, ever.

Now I'm kinda scared to break anything else on my v120, I absolutely love this heli and I want it pristine, am I mad ?
sbstnp is offline Find More Posts by sbstnp
Old Oct 10, 2012, 03:48 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,645 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbstnp View Post
Pff sometimes I am jealous on you 450+ size flyers. I don't have a field near by and I'm too lazy to drive for 1 hour just to go through some packs, so v120/130x is the biggest I can fly in my back yard. But I love my d02s.

And to stay on topic, I blew up my anto-rotation guide on the rotor head, clipped a tree branch. Lost a link too, but nothing else is broken (didn't check FS though, could be bent). The anti-rotation guide must've had some defect as it's the first I break, ever.

Now I'm kinda scared to break anything else on my v120, I absolutely love this heli and I want it pristine, am I mad ?
In this hobby, i have one suggestion. Because I am the same way. When you order spare parts always order 2 or more. Especially because there are random defects and stripped parts sometimes. But for me, having the parts on hand and you can have your heli back together in 30 minutes or less. This heli is pretty easy to work on once you get used to it. At the moment i have my pick of 6 heli i could fly. But i only fly the v120s and just started flying the v450 again. I'm sure when your skill gets up to it, you will be able to fly a 200/250 around in your yard too. It's not too much bigger. I can but i can't even do 3d in my yard with the v120s. Maybe a flip or inverted hover but it's dangerous. I have oak tree canopy above and stuff all over my yard. I can't wait till this dude gets his mustang out of front yard too! But even with that gone i'm obstacle city over here. I just happen to be lucky to have a few places only 5-10 minutes away to fly at. Thats why i kind of want a nano, it seems safer for in the house.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 03:52 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,136 Posts
I am having a problem with recurrent burning out of the tail servo. It is associated with one particular Devo receiver and I must have burnt up to 5 in a row. Typically, the tail will no longer work after a small crash. Can anyone think of anything that can cause this?
zadaw is offline Find More Posts by zadaw
Old Oct 10, 2012, 04:13 AM
Deviant
Joined Jul 2012
1,142 Posts
Quote:
In this hobby, i have one suggestion. Because I am the same way. When you order spare parts always order 2 or more. Especially because there are random defects and stripped parts sometimes. But for me, having the parts on hand and you can have your heli back together in 30 minutes or less. This heli is pretty easy to work on once you get used to it. At the moment i have my pick of 6 heli i could fly. But i only fly the v120s and just started flying the v450 again. I'm sure when your skill gets up to it, you will be able to fly a 200/250 around in your yard too. It's not too much bigger. I can but i can't even do 3d in my yard with the v120s. Maybe a flip or inverted hover but it's dangerous. I have oak tree canopy above and stuff all over my yard. I can't wait till this dude gets his mustang out of front yard too! But even with that gone i'm obstacle city over here. I just happen to be lucky to have a few places only 5-10 minutes away to fly at. Thats why i kind of want a nano, it seems safer for in the house.
True and wise words.

I'm scared to do any 3d (not that I can do proper 3d lol) with the v120 yet, but I have a brushless Mini CP I bash around flipping and rolling and crashing, a lot. That thing is tough and what I love about these micros is they don't care much about mechanical perfection, I've flown my Mini with a bent feathering shaft for 2 weeks and it didn't seem to bother it. Unfortunately my LiPos are on their way out, unsurprinsingly though as I've been abusing them since I got them. Anyway at $2 pop it doesn't bother me much.
sbstnp is offline Find More Posts by sbstnp
Old Oct 10, 2012, 05:42 AM
United Kingdom
Joined Sep 2011
366 Posts
Quote:
Absolutely, the V120d02S is a great little heli! I love mine! I also love my v120d05. In many ways it's better than the D02S now with upgrades. But i'm thinking about selling that one too. But as far as micros go i really enjoy flying them both. They just struggle in the high winds here and prolonged 3d does not last very long with them. I just desperately need a better, bigger, quality heli like a Gaui. So if the price is right almost any of my current heli might get sold. Tough i will probably just battle these walkera things till i'm broke. At least the 450 is flying nice now, so, that will hold me over for now.
Not to go off topic (again!) but have you thought of the Tarot 450 FBL Pro for a larger heli http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1649545, from what I've read on here its Align quality and they look really good! You could probably use your FBL unit/receiver from one of your WK 450's to keep costs down, oomodels even do them complete with Devo TX's , or an Align 250 - both would handle the wind much better and with them being kit, you can spread the cost.

Sorry for going off topic! As soon as my new servo gets here (should be any day now!) can start flying again, the CB100 is a little tame by comparison but, I've just replaced the battery and its much more responsive, nowhere near the V120, but better than it was!

+1 to buying at least 2 of a replacement (something I'll be doing in the future), some of the smaller parts cost the same of the shipping costs so you'll be saving in the long run doing this anyway.
Last edited by RotaryC; Oct 10, 2012 at 05:59 AM.