Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 06, 2012, 05:16 AM
United Kingdom
Joined Sep 2011
366 Posts
@IntegrityHndywrk, if you have a tail servo horn for this heli spare I'd be happy to pay the shipping and a little more to cover your costs, if you do can you PM me with your paypal details and how much you want, and I'll get it paid and PM you my address.

Thanks,

Carl.
RotaryC is offline Find More Posts by RotaryC
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 06, 2012, 11:10 AM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
6,505 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotaryC View Post
@IntegrityHndywrk, if you have a tail servo horn for this heli spare I'd be happy to pay the shipping and a little more to cover your costs, if you do can you PM me with your paypal details and how much you want, and I'll get it paid and PM you my address.

Thanks,

Carl.
I just went and looked. I do have an old servo horn left over. I just realized something though. In my head i was picturing the cyclic servo horns with holes in them. What i was talking about with the Tail rocker ball won't work because you can't screw into these servo horns But JUST FYI, you can do that if you ever are stuck buying V120d02 or V120D05 cyclic servos with the smaller ball links.

But, yes i do have one extra horn your welcome to. If you PM me your address i will only charge whatever shipping costs. I have a few shipping options i can check on but the cheapest will likely be USPS priority mail or possibly one of the flat rate envelops. Int. shipping might take a little while too. Hard to say how long. But if you PM me your address i'll get rate quotes and figure it out.
IntegrityHndywrk is online now Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Old Oct 06, 2012, 04:28 PM
If it Works, You Better Fix It
North Idaho
Joined Feb 2011
682 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHChieftain View Post
After inspecting the mech setup from stock, I saw a *lot* of binding points, and the servo arms at 50% were way off, so I decided to completely reset the mech setup. There is also wayyyy to much negative pitch which would result in boom strikes.

I found this video for M120D01 setup and applied it to this bird. Only difference is the swash moves in opposite direction due to the trailing edge bladegrips...

See post #3 in this thread:
http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=305064

Here's what I did:

1) Setup TH curve to be like an idle1 curve, enter TH
2) Turn off the flybar gyros at the RX
3) Reset the servo arms to be as close as possible to 90degrees at 50% throttle. Neat tip from the Helifreak video is you can actually use Pitch subtrim to finetune (no gyro control on colletive pitch). There still is no ability to adjust each servo independently, but if both arms are slightly low, you can use pitch subtrim to better level them, or make one a little low and one a little high vs. one dead on and 1 way off.
4) Reset the servo to swashplate links so the swash is level and in the middle of the mainshaft movement range
5) Reset the bladegrip links to relevel the blades to zero pitch at 50% throttle
6) Use TRAVELADJUST to reduce the max travel at Max Throttle and Min Throttle to ensure there is no binding when adding cyclic. I really needed to dial the range back to avoid all binding! Note that there is not only binding at the swash collars, but also at the bladegrip links (they can hit the followers), and also the antirotational pin when applying max forward elevator at max negative pitch. Note, only use Travel Adjust on the "PITCH" channel (which is collective) as there is no gyro control there. Back the swash away from the high and low points until there is no binding when also applying full cyclics.
7) Edit Throttle and pitch curves to be like a normally set up heli for Normal and Idle.

For Throttlehold and Idle 1, midstick pitch = 0, at low stick, -100=max neg pitch, +100 = max positive pitch.

For my normal pitch curve I make my low point (-100% input) = -40% output, which should be around -5% of pitch or so. Midpoint (0%input) = 50% output which is zero pitch. High point (+100% input) = 100% output which is 12degrees pitch (I'm eyeballing that-- I don't use a pitch gauge for these small birds).

Here's a video showing some of the adjustments I made and the binding points to watch out for. Just did a test flight and all is well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Mto3uNkz1k

Cheers,
Chief
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHChieftain View Post
Ok, after mucking around for awhile I settled on some new pitch curves- I made my Normal curve an "S" to soften up the collective (kinda like exponential on the collective). Made Idle1 match this curve (that way I can switch between Normal and Idle1 without any hiccups) but continued it into the negative pitch range and made Idle2 pitch curve linear:

Normal Pitch
Point Input Output
L -100 -40
1 Inhibit
2 Inhibit
M 0 0
3 33 25
4 67 55
H 100 100

Normal Throttle:
Point Input Output
L 0 0
1 Inhibit
2 Inhibit
M 50 60 (I like a little more uumph at mid stick)
3 Inhibit
4 Inhibit
H 100 100

Idle 1 Pitch:
Point Input Output
L -100 -100
1 -67 -55
2 -33 -25
M 0 0
3 33 25
4 67 55
H 100 100

Idle1 Throttle:
Point Input Output
L 0 100
1 Inhibit
2 Inhibit
M 50 75
3 Inhibit
4 Inhibit
H 100 100

Idle2 Pitch:
Point Input Output
L -100 -100
1 Inhibit
2 Inhibit
M 0 0
3 Inhibit
4 Inhibit
H 100 100

Idle2 Throttle: Same as Idle1 Throttle

Your mileage may vary...

Chief
Hi Chief,

I know this is an old post and I getting through this thread. Were you using a Devo 7 or 8 TX and do you know if pitch subtrim is available on both model TX's.
I'm thinking about getting one of these for myself for X-MAS, most likely with a 7 TX unless I need an 8 to get full programming and setup functions.

Happy Flying !!!

Bill S.
VelocityRC is offline Find More Posts by VelocityRC
Last edited by VelocityRC; Oct 06, 2012 at 04:34 PM.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 04:03 AM
Joined Aug 2012
39 Posts
for all new boys with v120 i put here to gether all model tips and downloads i made in one file hope its help enjoy

http://wtrns.fr/B4gy_VTC1kHVnLT
Samuel07 is offline Find More Posts by Samuel07
Old Oct 07, 2012, 08:39 AM
Joined Jun 2008
70 Posts
Hello, I have some maintenance questions.
Do you oil some parts of the heli ? If yes, what parts and how often. My v120 is pretty new but gets 4 lipos a day, so it is almost 100 lipos cycle a month.

Do you change some parts that are not broken for maintenance?
I guess it is really hard to break the swatchplate, but I read some ppl change it on a regular basis.

Thanks for the help!
ju204 is offline Find More Posts by ju204
Old Oct 07, 2012, 09:12 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,505 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ju204 View Post
Hello, I have some maintenance questions.
Do you oil some parts of the heli ? If yes, what parts and how often. My v120 is pretty new but gets 4 lipos a day, so it is almost 100 lipos cycle a month.

Do you change some parts that are not broken for maintenance?
I guess it is really hard to break the swatchplate, but I read some ppl change it on a regular basis.

Thanks for the help!
You should oil all the bearings every 5-10 flights. Including the main shaft top bearing under the locking collar, Main shaft bottom bearing above the main gear, both internal motor shaft bearings, Both tail drive bearings, one under the main gear attached to the Torque tube. The other inside the back of the tail box. Also the step bearings for the tail rotor shaft in the tail box. IF you use bobs slipper clutch you must NOT get oil on your shaft or clutch. It will cause the clutch to slip excessively. You should also oil your blade grip bearings every once in a while. The v120d02s thrust bearings are actually packed bearings. So you can actually regrease them if you wanted to fuss with such small bearings.

Otherwise i'm still flying my stock swash. The center ball joint is a little hinky but its still working so i have not replaced it. You will need to replace your tail boom every once in a while from impact damage. The CF will split causing tail vibrations, tail wagging and loss of tail authority. As well as additional friction. You want to eliminate as much friction as possible in the drive train for the best performance and flight times. The only thing i regularly replace and maintenance is my copper sheer pin upgrade on the main gear. Otherwise it's lube and fly till something breaks or gets thrown off.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 09:38 AM
RC Reviews & Tx Setup Guides
United States
Joined Sep 2007
3,492 Posts
What type of oil is good to use?
Is Tri-flow good to use also? It is a dry oil lubricant.

Tom
Tom Z is offline Find More Posts by Tom Z
Old Oct 07, 2012, 10:24 AM
Heli Crash Survivor
United States, AR, North Little Rock
Joined Feb 2011
1,037 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Z View Post

Tom
I use Tuf-Glide. Link below describes the product. I been using it since my CB100 days. Works great. I found a pin shaped 1/4 oz./7.4ml. with the precision applicator like link also. Place I got mine from opiknife.com appears not to have it anymore.

http://www.cutleryshoppe.com/sentrys...pplicator.aspx
Crash Survivor is offline Find More Posts by Crash Survivor
Old Oct 07, 2012, 10:47 AM
United States
Joined Sep 2007
3,492 Posts
Thanks. That sounds pretty good and the precision applicator is nice to have.

Tom
Old Oct 07, 2012, 11:13 AM
Joined Aug 2012
39 Posts
some telemetry inside nice 2$ upgrade for see you motor heat and more important voltage

and one more idid with extreme skid just put it upside and its beter protect you main gear
Samuel07 is offline Find More Posts by Samuel07
Last edited by Samuel07; Oct 07, 2012 at 11:23 AM.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 12:00 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,505 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Z View Post

Tom
It's important to note that there are different kinds of tri-flo. I personally have had bad experience with Tri-Flow "Superior Dry" "Formulated with PTFE" when used on bearings. Once the stuff drys out it leaves the bearing gritty and hard to turn because it got mixed with the prepacked grease. I personally use Scorpion bearing oil with great success. Bearing oils usually come with a precision applicator.

There is also the Extreme bearing oil which i have not used, but i would assume works well too:

Over all, i would typically use a synthetic or petrol blended oil for your bearings. The tri flow that is NOT the Dry lube Or if they have a oil specifically for bearings, that would be best. It's never a good idea to mix the type of lubes in a bearing. Since these bearings are mostly "sealed" you can pretty much only add lube to them if it will seep though the bearing seal. Mixing the original and new lubes can actually ruin a bearing by making it gritty. Of course, some might have no issue with it at all. I only use Tri-Flow "Superior Dry" On my tail steering slider or other places that need lube and are exposed to dirt and dust. The "dry" lube goes on wet and then dries, so there is not a massive accumulation of grease and grit from the sand and dust.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 12:16 PM
United States
Joined Sep 2007
3,492 Posts
Good information, thanks for posting it!

Tom
Old Oct 07, 2012, 01:16 PM
Deviant
Joined Jul 2012
1,129 Posts
Scorpion bearing oil can be bought from different retailers like:

Miracle Mart (out of stock currently)
RC711
HobbyKing (cheapest)

Price is around $5-$6 before shipping so really affordable.
sbstnp is online now Find More Posts by sbstnp
Old Oct 07, 2012, 01:52 PM
United Kingdom
Joined Sep 2011
366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
I just went and looked. I do have an old servo horn left over. I just realized something though. In my head i was picturing the cyclic servo horns with holes in them. What i was talking about with the Tail rocker ball won't work because you can't screw into these servo horns But JUST FYI, you can do that if you ever are stuck buying V120d02 or V120D05 cyclic servos with the smaller ball links.

But, yes i do have one extra horn your welcome to. If you PM me your address i will only charge whatever shipping costs. I have a few shipping options i can check on but the cheapest will likely be USPS priority mail or possibly one of the flat rate envelops. Int. shipping might take a little while too. Hard to say how long. But if you PM me your address i'll get rate quotes and figure it out.
Your probably right IntegrityHndywrk about the time it will take to get here, the new servo will be here next week so may as well just wait for that. Thanks for the offer though its appreciated.
RotaryC is offline Find More Posts by RotaryC
Old Oct 07, 2012, 05:33 PM
Joined Jun 2008
70 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
You should oil all the bearings every 5-10 flights. Including the main shaft top bearing under the locking collar, Main shaft bottom bearing above the main gear, both internal motor shaft bearings, Both tail drive bearings, one under the main gear attached to the Torque tube. The other inside the back of the tail box. Also the step bearings for the tail rotor shaft in the tail box. IF you use bobs slipper clutch you must NOT get oil on your shaft or clutch. It will cause the clutch to slip excessively. You should also oil your blade grip bearings every once in a while. The v120d02s thrust bearings are actually packed bearings. So you can actually regrease them if you wanted to fuss with such small bearings.
Thanks, this is a perfect answer. I located all bearings with your infos.
Some answers warn against bad oil.
I usually use vaseline oil. Do you think there is any risk a bearing can get gritty because of the oil mix (original + vaseline oil)?
ju204 is offline Find More Posts by ju204