Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 05, 2012, 07:24 PM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
6,642 Posts
Speaking of Walkera changing parts around without changing part numbers or telling anyone what they are doing. I almost forgot all about this. I received a new set of V120D02S tail drive gears in the mail the other day. They are now a gray color instead of black. The material might even be different since most plastics are naturally black to begin with. This newer gray gear may be a different material. I did a piercing test on them with a sharp pin. Both of them appear to resist piercing equally as well. So it might just be a color change. But i would like to think they are more durable now than before. I speculate that they tried to make them easier to break because of Bob's clutch But, honestly they seem closer to an ABS or some kind of thermoplastic now rather than the flat black plastic they used to be.

Here is a photo comparing the new gears i just received with one of my old sets that i had purchased around May or April. I doubt they are less durable. But they are definitely gray

IntegrityHndywrk is online now Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 05, 2012, 07:30 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,642 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotaryC View Post
I do understand what you mean, when I was shopping around for a tail servo, the part numbers were all different, some for the 4#6 that were being offered for the 02s (maybe they're the same?) I found the shipping cost's do differ depending on where your ordering from. I found Chinese Jades prices very high, maybe that's why his shipping costs are so low? I have learnt its not all about cost, as I mentioned previously, I don't mind paying a premium as long as the after sales support is there and the shipping is reasonable.

But I do get your frustration with part numbers, I had the same when ordering a new tail servo, I'm still not sure if the one I've ordered is a V120d02s servo (which is what was stated) or if it was for an earlier model (like 4#6), stated for 02s but the picture looked different, but I will be checking the part numbers when it arrives and if it's not, I won't ordering servos from them again and I will post my opinions on here!
I think the 4#6, 4G6, and all v120s use the same tail servo as well as the same cyclic servos. The difference will be the servos sold specifically for the V120D02S will have the larger D02s ball linkage. ALL of the other 120 size (including the 4g6) use a smaller ball on their servo horns and blade grips/swashplate. So you will be fine as long as you have your old D02S servo horn and ball link. Otherwise you need to buy a V120d02S tail steering rocker for $3 which comes with one of the balls to install on your new servo, if the one included is too small to fit the rudder linkage. This is likely what they expect you will do. I have not seen a v120d02S tail boom sold ANYWHERE for a while either. It's always labeled 4#6 tail boom, or when it arrives it says it on the package even if the web site said it was for the D02S. Which is fine because they are the same i think. At least thats what i have installed right now.
Old Oct 05, 2012, 07:41 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfmateos View Post
Hi again, folks! Today I just received my replacement receiver from Helipal, just a week later I sent my damaged one. It looks brand new, it's inside a walkera box, just as if I bought it in a rc shop. This weekend I will try to install it and to fly with it, let's see how it flies, but so far I have to say that Walkera and Helipal they have my confidence. I'm really happy for having bought it at helipal!
Congratulations on that. Walkera certainly won't give Helipal a new replacement. Therefore I am not sure whether Helipal can offer this indefinitely.
zadaw is offline Find More Posts by zadaw
Old Oct 05, 2012, 07:59 PM
United Kingdom
Joined Sep 2011
366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
I think the 4#6, 4G6, and all v120s use the same tail servo as well as the same cyclic servos. The difference will be the servos sold specifically for the V120D02S will have the larger D02s ball linkage. ALL of the other 120 size (including the 4g6) use a smaller ball on their servo horns and blade grips/swashplate. So you will be fine as long as you have your old D02S servo horn and ball link. Otherwise you need to buy a V120d02S tail steering rocker for $3 which comes with one of the balls to install on your new servo, if the one included is too small to fit the rudder linkage. This is likely what they expect you will do. I have not seen a v120d02S tail boom sold ANYWHERE for a while either. It's always labeled 4#6 tail boom, or when it arrives it says it on the package even if the web site said it was for the D02S. Which is fine because they are the same i think. At least thats what i have installed right now.
Well... The reason for me buying a new tail servo was because the tail servo horn broke (servo is fine), if it doesn't arrive with the correct horn I will want a refund and will be naming and shaming the vendor! Still loving this bird, but grounded until I get a new tail servo horn lol
RotaryC is offline Find More Posts by RotaryC
Old Oct 05, 2012, 08:02 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,642 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zadaw View Post
Congratulations on that. Walkera certainly won't give Helipal a new replacement. Therefore I am not sure whether Helipal can offer this indefinitely.
This was my basic understanding of how Walkera deals with distribution also. So kudos to them for helping people out. Why are they doing this? I think i missed something. Was the unit broken or just defective? Also, was it something they advertised?

Quote:
Well... The reason for me buying a new tail servo was because the tail servo horn broke (servo is fine), if it doesn't arrive with the correct horn I will want a refund ! Still loving this bird, but grounded until I get a new tail servo horn lol
Honestly, please prove me wrong!! PLEASE! I want you to be able to fly ASAP. So hopefully they send the right parts. If all else fails, i might have some extra links or something, if it gets you airborne any faster. Stuff like that only costs a stamp to mail too. So your welcome to it if i can find one.

It's amazing you broke the tail servo horn! I've never done that. In fact on 6 different helicopters over the last year. I have yet to strip or have to replace a tail servo for anything other than just wearing out. Man, do i ever crash a lot still too! So that must have been an impressive smack into concrete or something.
Old Oct 05, 2012, 08:08 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,136 Posts
Quote:
This was my basic understanding of how Walkera deals with distribution also. So kudos to them for helping people out. Why are they doing this? I think i missed something. Was the unit broken or just defective? Also, was it something they advertised?
His unit just suddenly stopped working and he could not do anything about it. It is possible that one of the reasons Helipal is doing it is because Walkera has changed to the new 6 axis receiver.

Many vendors will often go beyond what is required of them to retain customers. One major Walkera vendor here offers free lifetime repairs of all helis sold there. That was why I bought my 4F200 there because I knew there were problems with that heli. However, the problems with 4F200 were so profound that it proved difficult for them to handle it. Of course, they charge more for spare prices in order to cover their repair service.
zadaw is offline Find More Posts by zadaw
Old Oct 05, 2012, 08:17 PM
United Kingdom
Joined Sep 2011
366 Posts
Quote:

Honestly, please prove me wrong!! PLEASE! I want you to be able to fly ASAP. So hopefully they send the right parts. If all else fails, i might have some extra links or something, if it gets you airborne any faster. Stuff like that only costs a stamp to mail too. So your welcome to it if i can find one.

It's amazing you broke the tail servo horn! I've never done that. In fact on 6 different helicopters over the last year. I have yet to strip or have to replace a tail servo for anything other than just wearing out. Man, do i ever crash a lot still too! So that must have been an impressive smack into concrete or something.
Thanks IntegrityHndywrk, you should be careful as I might have to take you up on that if it doesn't turn up with the right servo horn! I really hope I get sent the right parts lol as for the crash, I backed (flying backwards) into a wooden decking post, the tail blades were willing but the wooden post wasn't moving lol and I wasn't experienced enough to hit TH (first CP) or to push forward on the cyclic (which would have been real easy), I kinda just stood and watched in slow motion, sure we've all been there! totally my own fault, dumb thumbs
Last edited by RotaryC; Oct 05, 2012 at 08:25 PM.
Old Oct 05, 2012, 08:34 PM
United Kingdom
Joined Sep 2011
366 Posts
Pretty sure I've done the gears where it meets the main gear, not sure what they're called, I have a spare set anyway, how vulnerable is the main gear where it meets the tail gearing? Should I order a main gear just in case?

*ordered a new one anyway, going to take the tail and boom apart, with it being grounded for about a week
Last edited by RotaryC; Oct 05, 2012 at 08:46 PM.
Old Oct 05, 2012, 09:11 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,642 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zadaw View Post
His unit just suddenly stopped working and he could not do anything about it. It is possible that one of the reasons Helipal is doing it is because Walkera has changed to the new 6 axis receiver.

Many vendors will often go beyond what is required of them to retain customers. One major Walkera vendor here offers free lifetime repairs of all helis sold there. That was why I bought my 4F200 there because I knew there were problems with that heli. However, the problems with 4F200 were so profound that it proved difficult for them to handle it. Of course, they charge more for spare prices in order to cover their repair service.
Oh well, Then major kudos to them for helping him out! This is just not what i would expect most of the time. But i suppose being so close to Walkera, they MIGHT be able to get return support. It would be easier than for wow hobbies anyway.

As for the 4f200, it would be nice to see it re-released with the very much known issues addressed. Setting the thread locking issue and servos aside for now. 90% of it's tip overs, crashes, brown outs and tail hold/wag issues really are related to the 2612V and the ESC. The motor was actually pretty damn strong for a 2S motor. I don't think the ESC liked it too much though. Once i changed the RX and ESC and used some red & blue thread lock on the tail and other parts, it really has been my most reliable and least problematic heli. As far as knowing the heli will fly every time i set it on the launch pad. As long as you don't crash it ever. Because it really needs to be tuned 100% true or screws fly off and all kinds of problems. I have really enjoyed mine, but i think it's time to sell it too.
Old Oct 05, 2012, 09:23 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,642 Posts
Quote:
Thanks IntegrityHndywrk, you should be careful as I might have to take you up on that if it doesn't turn up with the right servo horn! I really hope I get sent the right parts lol as for the crash, I backed (flying backwards) into a wooden decking post, the tail blades were willing but the wooden post wasn't moving lol and I wasn't experienced enough to hit TH (first CP) or to push forward on the cyclic (which would have been real easy), I kinda just stood and watched in slow motion, sure we've all been there! totally my own fault, dumb thumbs
Yeah, let me know. I still have to go look. I'm sure i have one laying somewhere. I just realized your in the UK though. Not a big deal, if you want i can still mail one, but it will cost more than i thought. I was just thinking though. For shipping times, you might be better off just ordering a $3 tail rocker. Your call. We'll both just hope they sent the right linkages for now But either way, if i can help, I'll try.

Quote:
Pretty sure I've done the gears where it meets the main gear, not sure what they're called, I have a spare set anyway, how vulnerable is the main gear where it meets the tail gearing? Should I order a main gear just in case?

*ordered a new one anyway, going to take the tail and boom apart, with it being grounded for about a week
Are you using a sheer pin replacement to hold your main gear in? If you are you should never hurt your main gear and are unlikely to hurt your tail gears. If you have a slipper clutch and a sheer pin on the main gear you are almost 100% GTD. you will never break any gears in a crash. But just the same, when you have extra cash on hand. I like to stock up on things. Just so i have them. So, you might want to grab a few tail drive gear sets and a spare main gear just to have. The thing that happens with the 100% stock setup is the "A" gear under the main gear will break and shred. Usually the main gear is fine, but it might wear the points on the teeth down some over time. It takes a pretty high HS impact to take a tooth off on the D02S main gear, but with a sheer pin you will never be paying MONEY for your gears. Just the TIME it takes to replace the pin when you crash.

Here is some info and photos out of my D05CS build log about the sheerpins i'm currently using. Honestly, i would prefer the wire to be a little thicker. Travis MCH is using 0.032 copper stock which should be slightly thicker. This is probably the optimal sheer pin to hold up to the torque of the upgrade motors and still sheer in a crash. Even though what i am using has not broken on me in flight. I would prefer a thicker wire to fill the space in the shaft and gear holes so there is not as much "play" in the mounting pin.

Sheer Pin - 22 AWG Copper solid conductor
Old Oct 05, 2012, 09:40 PM
United Kingdom
Joined Sep 2011
366 Posts
Quote:
Yeah, let me know. I still have to go look. I'm sure i have one laying somewhere. I just realized your in the UK though. Not a big deal, if you want i can still mail one, but it will cost more than i thought. I was just thinking though. For shipping times, you might be better off just ordering a $3 tail rocker. Your call. We'll both just hope they sent the right linkages for now But either way, if i can help, I'll try.

Are you using a sheer pin replacement to hold your main gear in? If you are you should never hurt your main gear and are unlikely to hurt your tail gears. If you have a slipper clutch and a sheer pin on the main gear you are almost 100% GTD. you will never break any gears in a crash. But just the same, when you have extra cash on hand. I like to stock up on things. Just so i have them. So, you might want to grab a few tail drive gear sets and a spare main gear just to have. The thing that happens with the 100% stock setup is the "A" gear under the main gear will break and shred. Usually the main gear is fine, but it might wear the points on the teeth down some over time. It takes a pretty high HS impact to take a tooth off on the D02S main gear, but with a sheer pin you will never be paying MONEY for your gears. Just the TIME it takes to replace the pin when you crash.

Here is some info and photos out of my D05CS build log about the sheerpins i'm currently using. Honestly, i would prefer the wire to be a little thicker. Travis MCH is using 0.032 copper stock which should be slightly thicker. This is probably the optimal sheer pin to hold up to the torque of the upgrade motors and still sheer in a crash. Even though what i am using has not broken on me in flight. I would prefer a thicker wire to fill the space in the shaft and gear holes so there is not as much "play" in the mounting pin.

Sheer Pin - 22 AWG Copper solid conductor
Dude! That was a way detailed reply, thank you. If you ever send me anything I can assure you, you wont be left out of pocket mate, I would never allow anyone to do that, but again, appreciate your help. I aint too clued up on wire gauges but I think I have something similar lying around, from what I've read I will destroy the main gear getting the stock pin out anyway so just as well I ordered a new one!

I have bobs clutch but aint fitted it yet, will do that when the other spares arrive.
Again, thanks for the advice IntegrityHndywrk, I am reading and learning mate although how I am going to get at that main gear where it meats the tail I don't know, will prob have to take it all apart. I seen the post on dropping the main gear, looked at that while I was replacing the landing gear, think I would have to take it all apart, bit of a perfectionist, so will no doubt spend half a day taking everything apart - Wish I wasn't but what can I say
Last edited by RotaryC; Oct 05, 2012 at 09:51 PM.
Old Oct 05, 2012, 09:49 PM
fernie bc canada
Joined Dec 2009
511 Posts
Hi all,
I got one of these 120D02S from a HF member and a Devo7E , nice small radio...

Just wondering what is a worth while upgrade for this heli ? to me maybe the head block made of Alu would be better ( just broke one in a crash)
Also I find the tail sort of flimsy ( side to side) it does hold surprisingly well ...

I was just playing with the setings and I still would llike it to be a bit more responssive or more connected if that's possible , any suggestions?
joliecoeur13 is offline Find More Posts by joliecoeur13
Old Oct 05, 2012, 10:09 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,642 Posts
Quote:
Dude! That was a way detailed reply, thank you. If you ever send me anything I can assure you, you wont be left out of pocket mate, I would never allow anyone to do that, but again, appreciate your help. I aint too clued up on wire gauges but I think I have something similar lying around, from what I've read I will destroy the main gear getting the stock pin out anyway so just as well I ordered a new one!

I have bobs clutch but aint fitted it yet, will do that when the other spares arrive.
Again, thanks for the advice IntegrityHndywrk, I am reading and learning mate although how I am going to get at that main gear where it meats the tail I don't know, will prob have to take it all apart. I seen the post on dropping the main gear, looked at that while I was replacing the landing gear, think I would have to take it all apart, bit of a perfectionist, so will no doubt spend half a day taking everything apart - Wish I wasn't but what can I say
Yeah, it seems like a lot at first, i know. But now i can tear apart the V120 and put it back together in like 15 minutes. What you will want to be doing is remove the landing gear's 4 screws. If your knightheads (stabilizer bars) are glued, and should be, IMO. They will be attached to the boom. Just fold them back, don't worry about removing them from the boom. Then you will need a nice set of needle nose pliers. Using those you can push the main gear's Jesus pin to one side so it is longer to grab on to. Use the pliers again to tightly squeeze the protruding pin and while holding the heli firmly pull straight backwards without wiggling the pin. Try twisting it if you still have trouble. Most people who have problems removing the pin are either using the wrong tools or have bent the Jesus pin badly, creating a bind in the center. Once you have the pin removed you can then access the 4 screws below that open up to remove the tail boom and torque tube "A" gear. Good luck, and try to enjoy it. It's an on going part of this hobby. I personally let the tiny screws and stupid crap get to me sometimes. But over all i do enjoy working on them. It's a good thing too, because my Walkeras always seem to need work done!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joliecoeur13 View Post
Hi all,
I got one of these 120D02S from a HF member and a Devo7E , nice small radio...

Just wondering what is a worth while upgrade for this heli ? to me maybe the head block made of Alu would be better ( just broke one in a crash)
Also I find the tail sort of flimsy ( side to side) it does hold surprisingly well ...

I was just playing with the setings and I still would llike it to be a bit more responssive or more connected if that's possible , any suggestions?
Hi! are you just learning or are you already flying 3d? Either way you will want to grab a slipper clutch from either Bob or off microline hobbies. Both work excellently, but the microline hobbies or "benmlee" slipper clutch is a little more engineered and addresses a few more small issues with the tail of the helicopter. Though it has a weak rotor shaft. Bob's clutch is cheaper, seemingly more durable, simple, easy to install and works! So you'll have to decide for yourself. Personally i love the microline one but am currently back using bob's clutch again. The microline tail shaft might be replaced more often if I keep using that one. Trying to save costs right now to get into an X5, sooooo. Thanks bob!

Otherwise check out the sheer pin mod i just posted 2-3 posts back. Get yourself some V120d02S/ 318A servo gear replacements from oomodel. Pick yourself up a few rudder control rods, tail drive gear sets and don't worry about changing the rotor head out. This design proves to be the best design for a FBL heli this size. I agree it breaks easily and could be improved. Let us know when you get some machined because the only other ones i know of have to be ordered from germany and the site is difficult to deal with. As well as VERY expensive. Just do what i do. Buy yourself 5x of the stock rotor head and throw them in your parts box. They only cost about $3 so this is not a huge loss. They don't break every crash either. I have only broken 3 or so in almost a year. With this heli, moving the throttle stick to CENTER immediately in a crash and hitting TH before you impact goes a LONG way in saving cost of repairs. But the mods i mentioned before will make this heli very durable compared to stock.

I also recommend possibly a "servo saver mod" Though i don't use one. I simply use a small paper clip in place of the CF rod that is used to mount the canopy. The thinner metal rod will bend and allow the servos to pop loose in a crash. Thats my unintentional servo saver. The original intention was to stop breaking the brittle CF canopy mounting pin. Since the canopy i use does not come with a CF rod. This all works out for me. I also bend a little hook in the ends of the paperclip once installed to hold the canopy on better. But a lot of people have luck using the actual "servo saver mod". Check it out for yourself.
Last edited by IntegrityHndywrk; Oct 05, 2012 at 10:18 PM.
Old Oct 05, 2012, 10:18 PM
fernie bc canada
Joined Dec 2009
511 Posts
Quote:
Yeah, it seems like a lot at first, i know. But now i can tear apart the V120 and put it back together in like 15 minutes. What you will want to be doing is remove the landing gear's 4 screws. If your knightheads (stabilizer bars) are glued, and should be, IMO. They will be attached to the boom. Just fold them back, don't worry about removing them from the boom. Then you will need a nice set of needle nose pliers. Using those you can push the main gear's Jesus pin to one side so it is longer to grab on to. Use the pliers again to tightly squeeze the protruding pin and while holding the heli firmly pull straight backwards without wiggling the pin. Try twisting it if you still have trouble. Most people who have problems removing the pin are either using the wrong tools or have bent the Jesus pin badly, creating a bind in the center. Once you have the pin removed you can then access the 4 screws below that open up to remove the tail boom and torque tube "A" gear. Good luck, and try to enjoy it. It's an on going part of this hobby. I personally let the tiny screws and stupid crap get to me sometimes. But over all i do enjoy working on them. It's a good thing too, because my Walkeras always seem to need work done!

Hi! are you just learning or are you already flying 3d? Either way you will want to grab a slipper clutch from either Bob or off microline hobbies. Both work excellently, but the microline hobbies or "benmlee" slipper clutch is a little more engineered and addresses a few more small issues with the tail of the helicopter. Though it has a weak rotor shaft. Bob's clutch is cheaper, seemingly more durable, simple, easy to install and works! So you'll have to decide for yourself. Personally i love the microline one but am currently back using bob's clutch again. The microline tail shaft might be replaced more often if I keep using that one. Trying to save costs right now to get into an X5, sooooo. Thanks bob!

Otherwise check out the sheer pin mod i just posted 2-3 posts back. Get yourself some V120d02S/ 318A servo gear replacements from oomodel. Pick yourself up a few rudder control rods, tail drive gear sets and don't worry about changing the rotor head out. This design proves to be the best design for a FBL heli this size. I agree it breaks easily and could be improved. Let us know when you get some machined because the only other ones i know of have to be ordered from germany and the site is difficult to deal with. As well as VERY expensive. Just do what i do. Buy yourself 5x of the stock rotor head and throw them in your parts box. They only cost about $3 so this is not a huge loss. They don't break every crash either. I have only broken 3 or so in almost a year. With this heli, moving the throttle stick to CENTER immediately in a crash and hitting TH before you impact goes a LONG way in saving cost of repairs. But the mods i mentioned before will make this heli very durable compared to stock.

OK cool , I have been flying for a bit and have several big or very big helis
I was trying to hover inverted wich is way more difficult them my 700 !!
can you point me to where I can find thid "Bob design" ?
cheers
joliecoeur13 is offline Find More Posts by joliecoeur13
Old Oct 05, 2012, 10:24 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,642 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joliecoeur13 View Post
OK cool , I have been flying for a bit and have several big or very big helis
I was trying to hover inverted wich is way more difficult them my 700 !!
can you point me to where I can find thid "Bob design" ?
cheers
AWESOME, then you will also be wanting to upgrade your motor. I recommend the HP08-S but make sure it's the 16,500kv version. They are not all the same. Either that or the Turbo Ace 215. Both can be purchased at wow hobbies. The stock pinion can be used. But a 8 or 9T is probably preferable. Especially with the HP08-S. That is, now that i have tested all of the competing upgrade motors. Probably the best one is the HP08-s 16,500kv.

Go here, read up. Send him an email.

Slipper clutch for Walkera 4#6, 4G6, V120 size shaft driven tails