HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Sep 28, 2012, 05:13 PM
Registered User
United Kingdom
Joined Sep 2011
366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zadaw View Post
It is nice to hear this. I wonder if they have sent you a new one or a repaired one from another customer? Also are they charging you for shipping and handling?
+1 Service I had was really good, brilliant even! I for one will be using Helipal again.

EDIT:

I meant to the experience that alfmateos had, if its flying right, I don't think it matters if its a reconditioned unit or not, but it would be interesting to know what the shipping charges were!
RotaryC is offline Find More Posts by RotaryC
Last edited by RotaryC; Sep 28, 2012 at 05:21 PM.
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 28, 2012, 05:19 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotaryC View Post
+1 Service I had was really good, brilliant even! I for one will be using them again.
I know the owner of Helipal as he used to do 3D training near where I live. Their main business is not RC helicopters though. They are a manufacturer of accessories for the iPhone and iPad. "More" is their brand and this is their direct retail site.

www.more-thing.com
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2012, 05:24 PM
Registered User
United Kingdom
Joined Sep 2011
366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zadaw View Post
I know the owner of Helipal as he used to do 3D training near where I live. Their main business is not RC helicopters though. They are a manufacturer of accessories for the iPhone and iPad. This is their direct retail site.

www.more-thing.com
If this isn't their main business zadaw then I have to compliment them even more, compliments to the staff manning the packaging, support & email, my experience on my first order was very good.

By the sounds of it Helipal was set up due to the owner having an interest in the hobby, sounds like a good match to me!
RotaryC is offline Find More Posts by RotaryC
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2012, 05:34 PM
Brent 黑雁
BThirsk's Avatar
Canada, AB, Ponoka
Joined Jan 2012
1,781 Posts
I just got a set of these blades to try. They look like a foam material at the root.
http://www.helipal.com/v120dq02-z-01...or-blades.html
I don't know how durable the will be, but they definately make the heli more stable.
BThirsk is offline Find More Posts by BThirsk
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2012, 09:07 PM
IHW Heli Division
IntegrityHndywrk's Avatar
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
7,339 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotaryC View Post
If this isn't their main business zadaw then I have to compliment them even more, compliments to the staff manning the packaging, support & email, my experience on my first order was very good.

By the sounds of it Helipal was set up due to the owner having an interest in the hobby, sounds like a good match to me!
Oh yeah, they are great at shipping and even customer service, to a point. They can't seem to do inventory properly to save their life. But otherwise they are pretty good. They are certainly no Terence, that is for sure. I wouldn't trust that they actually test fly their helicopters. In fact I know i don't trust that they do. Because i got my V120D05 from them, which said in the listing that they are test flown. After ordering there was some rather suspicious behavior, in my opinion. It could be that it was either a legitimate stocking error, where they had possibly over sold the helicopter and they were passing the bad luck along my way. If that was the case, they could have just told me they over sold. But instead they magically found one after i told them to cancel the order when they said they could no longer fill the order and suggested i get something else. What ever the case was, they resisted selling me the helicopter because of some kind of stocking related excuse. Then ended up sending it to me anyway. Perhaps it was just that they knew that the helicopter was not actually "RTF" as it was, but i insisted though my wishes of cancellation, perhaps? Keeping in mind that the D05 is a problem heli in the first place. The helicopter i received was not able to hover. I realized the problem before lift off but the swash was not set in a way that would allow for actual flight. If i tried, it would have done a back flip right into the concrete.

Though, so i'm not just bashing them. They are a legit site. They do ship rather quickly compared to some. Usually i will get the items in no more than 15 days. The last order i placed with them took almost exactly that. Of course, weather it takes 7 or 15 days is out of their hands.

But, I ordered two V450D01 swash plates. They were the only ones that had the OLD style, all metal, better quality swash in stock still (discontinued, I'm sure). They STILL have them listed in stock. There is no way they restocked because everyone has been out of stock for weeks. What they sent to me was the MORE expensive, yet more cheaply made half plastic "New V450d01" swash. Which honestly costs about $10 more than the old ones used to cost, even though they make them out of cheaper materials now. So they are selling the "new" and old style swash for the same price, essentially. To me this is all kind of odd business practice. Not the type i prefer to interface with at any rate. It seems to me they would take down the old style swash listing or list it "out of stock" rather than lie to their customers. Lucky for me, this is exactly what i expected to happen, having known the old style has been out of stock everywhere else for nearly a month and a half or more.

I believe in the business world, the above would be called a complement sandwich, only backwards.

Old swash:
http://www.helipal.com/hm-v450d01-z-05-swashplate.html


New swash:
http://www.helipal.com/hm-new-v450d0...washplate.html


The worst part about it is, if you examine the swash in the images above. The two are not the same. The servo linkages on the "New" version are a different size and shape. I believe they were meant to be longer, like the "new v450" blade grip linkages on the main rotor are, as well. Probably wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't so obvious that the "new" parts are marked way up! I suppose if they are still making money off doing this, it's kind of genius in a way. How many people you think couldn't find the old swash and ordered from them thinking they were going to get one, but didnt?
IntegrityHndywrk is online now Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Last edited by IntegrityHndywrk; Sep 28, 2012 at 09:20 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2012, 09:22 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotaryC View Post

By the sounds of it Helipal was set up due to the owner having an interest in the hobby, sounds like a good match to me!
I am not sure about this. As far as I know, the owner started having an interest in helicopters after Helipal was set up. Even now, he is not involved in the day to day running of Helipal. He leaves most of that to his younger brother Jacky who may have a stake in Helipal as well. He certainly flies much better than Jacky but is never involved in flying the helis in their videos. I only know him casually and I have never bought from them.
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2012, 09:24 PM
IHW Heli Division
IntegrityHndywrk's Avatar
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
7,339 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BThirsk View Post
I just got a set of these blades to try. They look like a foam material at the root.
http://www.helipal.com/v120dq02-z-01...or-blades.html
I don't know how durable the will be, but they definately make the heli more stable.
Meh, those are solid foamies with a CF rod in the leading edge side. They will be light, thats good. But they will also likely not be balanced well and might wobble around on you some. They are like the V120D02 and V120D05 stock blades. Not durable at all. First scrape or light clip on anything they will break. The 130X blades, reportedly, are some of the best non-stock blades available for the V120. For the cost and lack of durability, i would stick with the stock blades or try the 130x blades.
IntegrityHndywrk is online now Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2012, 12:22 AM
Registered User
Joined Sep 2012
17 Posts
Couple major negatives with my new d02s. Looks like I'll have to order a new elevator servo and servo mount, and the heli hasn't even been in the air yet. After going through a few setup steps (leveling the swash, etc...), I noticed (with motor unplugged) that the elevator servo would make a loud whirring noise at the max extent of it's travel, or just past the last notch on the throttle stick. I ran a few packs through it, holding the heli in my hand, and watching swash movement, etc... This "whirring noise" progressively made its way up the throttle scale until it started doing it just over halfway. It didnt sound like the gears were stripped, but rather like something was binding in the servo. Eventually it would randomly stop responding at some point in the servo travel, making the same noise.

I removed the servo, and in the process (didn't see the inside screw by the wire holder) broke the servo mount. I finally removed it, and moved the servo horn manually through the full range of travel and it seemed to free up. Maybe there was flashing, or a burr inside the servo causing it to bind.

Also, the very first time I unplugged the battery I exposed one of the wires at the battery connector. I had to disconnect it with pliers because it just wouldn't budge.

Anyway, not having much luck with my new V120D02S, my first collective pitch heli.

Something else of note... I thought there were only 2 versions of the D02S. An early version which was 3-axis, and a v2 which was 6-axis. Mine has the red canopy, but says 6-axis on the box, and on the canopy. Receiver is rx2636h-d
cam94z28 is offline Find More Posts by cam94z28
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2012, 12:39 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cam94z28 View Post
Couple major negatives with my new d02s. Looks like I'll have to order a new elevator servo and servo mount, and the heli hasn't even been in the air yet. After going through a few setup steps (leveling the swash, etc...), I noticed (with motor unplugged) that the elevator servo would make a loud whirring noise at the max extent of it's travel, or just past the last notch on the throttle stick. I ran a few packs through it, holding the heli in my hand, and watching swash movement, etc... This "whirring noise" progressively made its way up the throttle scale until it started doing it just over halfway. It didnt sound like the gears were stripped, but rather like something was binding in the servo. Eventually it would randomly stop responding at some point in the servo travel, making the same noise.

I removed the servo, and in the process (didn't see the inside screw by the wire holder) broke the servo mount. I finally removed it, and moved the servo horn manually through the full range of travel and it seemed to free up. Maybe there was flashing, or a burr inside the servo causing it to bind.

Also, the very first time I unplugged the battery I exposed one of the wires at the battery connector. I had to disconnect it with pliers because it just wouldn't budge.

Anyway, not having much luck with my new V120D02S, my first collective pitch heli.

Something else of note... I thought there were only 2 versions of the D02S. An early version which was 3-axis, and a v2 which was 6-axis. Mine has the red canopy, but says 6-axis on the box, and on the canopy. Receiver is rx2636h-d
I am sorry to hear about this, the stiffness of the JST connector is well known. It may be a good idea to use a pair of pliers to unplug the battery each time. Otherwise, the battery lead may be pulled out of the battery. The new 6 axis V120D02S comes in both red and green versions. You have got the new version.

Sometimes, I wonder whether some of problems seen are due to a too detailed examination of the heli out of the box. I only spend a few minutes each time looking at a new Walkera heli. With some of these helis, you can even strip a servo just by handling it. Almost all my purchases have flown out of the box. The noise on your elevator could have been due to a number of reasons but the chances are that you could still have flown it.
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2012, 12:49 AM
IHW Heli Division
IntegrityHndywrk's Avatar
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
7,339 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cam94z28 View Post
Couple major negatives with my new d02s. Looks like I'll have to order a new elevator servo and servo mount, and the heli hasn't even been in the air yet. After going through a few setup steps (leveling the swash, etc...), I noticed (with motor unplugged) that the elevator servo would make a loud whirring noise at the max extent of it's travel, or just past the last notch on the throttle stick. I ran a few packs through it, holding the heli in my hand, and watching swash movement, etc... This "whirring noise" progressively made its way up the throttle scale until it started doing it just over halfway. It didnt sound like the gears were stripped, but rather like something was binding in the servo. Eventually it would randomly stop responding at some point in the servo travel, making the same noise.

I removed the servo, and in the process (didn't see the inside screw by the wire holder) broke the servo mount. I finally removed it, and moved the servo horn manually through the full range of travel and it seemed to free up. Maybe there was flashing, or a burr inside the servo causing it to bind.

Also, the very first time I unplugged the battery I exposed one of the wires at the battery connector. I had to disconnect it with pliers because it just wouldn't budge.

Anyway, not having much luck with my new V120D02S, my first collective pitch heli.

Something else of note... I thought there were only 2 versions of the D02S. An early version which was 3-axis, and a v2 which was 6-axis. Mine has the red canopy, but says 6-axis on the box, and on the canopy. Receiver is rx2636h-d
There are 2 versions of the "new" D02S canopy. One is green. That is what is going on there. As far as the servo. It would appear that the back of the servo buckled loose on you, from your description. These servos don't always like to stay clicked together. If the back of the servo pops off, the motor inside can slide back, loosing grip of the servo gears. This can cause the motor to spin freely, which is likely the whirring noise you referenced. Unless the servo was actually binding up, that can make a noise as well.

Over all, I'm very sorry to hear about your first CP experience. Look at the bright side, at least it didn't happen in the air, costing you more money. I think once you get the heli setup you will enjoy it. This hobby takes lots of patients, something i don't have much of.
IntegrityHndywrk is online now Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2012, 03:31 AM
Registered User
Joined Sep 2012
17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zadaw View Post
I am sorry to hear about this, the stiffness of the JST connector is well known. It may be a good idea to use a pair of pliers to unplug the battery each time. Otherwise, the battery lead may be pulled out of the battery. The new 6 axis V120D02S comes in both red and green versions. You have got the new version.

Sometimes, I wonder whether some of problems seen are due to a too detailed examination of the heli out of the box. I only spend a few minutes each time looking at a new Walkera heli. With some of these helis, you can even strip a servo just by handling it. Almost all my purchases have flown out of the box. The noise on your elevator could have been due to a number of reasons but the chances are that you could still have flown it.
That's exactly what I did, though. I used pliers, thought I released them as soon as it unplugged but it had already yanked the positive out of the battery far enough to expose a piece of the wire. I think a wide flathead screwdriver against the lip of the connector might be a better option. The battery is still usable, but I have to watch it closely, If the negative becomes exposed, I could have a lipo fire on my hands.

I've heard your theory before, and I think I'm starting to believe it. If I had experience with CP before, I'm sure I could have got 2 or 3 flights out of it before the problem appeared. The servo is working now, and doesn't sound stripped, so I'm not sure what was causing it. I still have to check my blade tracking, and double check my swash is level before i even think about flying it

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
There are 2 versions of the "new" D02S canopy. One is green. That is what is going on there. As far as the servo. It would appear that the back of the servo buckled loose on you, from your description. These servos don't always like to stay clicked together. If the back of the servo pops off, the motor inside can slide back, loosing grip of the servo gears. This can cause the motor to spin freely, which is likely the whirring noise you referenced. Unless the servo was actually binding up, that can make a noise as well.

Over all, I'm very sorry to hear about your first CP experience. Look at the bright side, at least it didn't happen in the air, costing you more money. I think once you get the heli setup you will enjoy it. This hobby takes lots of patients, something i don't have much of.
I didn't realize they started making the red canopy in version 2. I'm glad because I was hoping to receive the 6-axis system. FWIR, 3-axis is harder to learn on.

When I removed the servo, it had dried glue oozing around the edges. I doubt it came apart on me. Something internal was probably causing it to bind. It sounds perfectly fine now, after I ran it through the range of travel a few times, and reinstalled. I'll order a few spares when I order the batteries.

Understanding the Devo 7 is my next challenge. There are menu's within menu's, and it's really confusing.
cam94z28 is offline Find More Posts by cam94z28
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2012, 04:54 AM
IHW Heli Division
IntegrityHndywrk's Avatar
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
7,339 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cam94z28 View Post
That's exactly what I did, though. I used pliers, thought I released them as soon as it unplugged but it had already yanked the positive out of the battery far enough to expose a piece of the wire. I think a wide flathead screwdriver against the lip of the connector might be a better option. The battery is still usable, but I have to watch it closely, If the negative becomes exposed, I could have a lipo fire on my hands.

I've heard your theory before, and I think I'm starting to believe it. If I had experience with CP before, I'm sure I could have got 2 or 3 flights out of it before the problem appeared. The servo is working now, and doesn't sound stripped, so I'm not sure what was causing it. I still have to check my blade tracking, and double check my swash is level before i even think about flying it



I didn't realize they started making the red canopy in version 2. I'm glad because I was hoping to receive the 6-axis system. FWIR, 3-axis is harder to learn on.

When I removed the servo, it had dried glue oozing around the edges. I doubt it came apart on me. Something internal was probably causing it to bind. It sounds perfectly fine now, after I ran it through the range of travel a few times, and reinstalled. I'll order a few spares when I order the batteries.

Understanding the Devo 7 is my next challenge. There are menu's within menu's, and it's really confusing.
The 6 axis v120 is probably you best bet for a driveway / field learner heli. Just try to fly above grass! Concrete is exponential damage!!!!

You may be right about the servo binding up. It could have even broken 1 single tooth and the broken part is floating around in there causing the bind. But i agree with Zadaw, the only walkera heli i have ever bought that didn't fly out of the box was my D05. I think that was for many combined reasons. But it is what it is. Usually these little ones will just fly, if anything crooked But trust me the back side of the servo where the electronics are likes to pop loose just enough for the motor's pinion to move. I have had to glue the damn things together because the servo torque would pop the back of the servo off from time to time. Just something to think about for the future. It's weird that it had glue around it. I don't think they get glued. /shrug.

If i'm not mistaken, because i don't own one. So don't take my word for it. I think the Devo 7 actually works different from the other Devo TX with pitch and throttle curves and things like that. I'm sure one of these guys here can clarify any of the differences between it and other Devo controllers. But i think it ends up being the most confusing of the bunch. But over all you want to learn about how pitch and throttle curves work and what Expo and DR do. Once you learn those basics any TX should work similar. It's just how it's programmed and how you have to access the menus and input the data that will be different. Like i said, i don't know a lot about it. But i know that the devo 7 was the original budget TX, before they released the Devo 10. Personally, i would prefer any of the Devo TX that does not have a touch screen.
IntegrityHndywrk is online now Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2012, 06:04 AM
Brent 黑雁
BThirsk's Avatar
Canada, AB, Ponoka
Joined Jan 2012
1,781 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
The 6 axis v120 is probably you best bet for a driveway / field learner heli. Just try to fly above grass! Concrete is exponential damage!!!!

You may be right about the servo binding up. It could have even broken 1 single tooth and the broken part is floating around in there causing the bind. But i agree with Zadaw, the only walkera heli i have ever bought that didn't fly out of the box was my D05. I think that was for many combined reasons. But it is what it is. Usually these little ones will just fly, if anything crooked But trust me the back side of the servo where the electronics are likes to pop loose just enough for the motor's pinion to move. I have had to glue the damn things together because the servo torque would pop the back of the servo off from time to time. Just something to think about for the future. It's weird that it had glue around it. I don't think they get glued. /shrug.

If i'm not mistaken, because i don't own one. So don't take my word for it. I think the Devo 7 actually works different from the other Devo TX with pitch and throttle curves and things like that. I'm sure one of these guys here can clarify any of the differences between it and other Devo controllers. But i think it ends up being the most confusing of the bunch. But over all you want to learn about how pitch and throttle curves work and what Expo and DR do. Once you learn those basics any TX should work similar. It's just how it's programmed and how you have to access the menus and input the data that will be different. Like i said, i don't know a lot about it. But i know that the devo 7 was the original budget TX, before they released the Devo 10. Personally, i would prefer any of the Devo TX that does not have a touch screen.
I have both a Devo 7 and a Devo8s. I used the Devo 7 for about 10 minutes be fore I decided it was not worth the effort. I now have all my models on the devo8.
The touch screen makes programming a complete set up a 10 minute job. That's what it took to have my MasterCP ready for test flight.
BThirsk is offline Find More Posts by BThirsk
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2012, 06:08 AM
Brent 黑雁
BThirsk's Avatar
Canada, AB, Ponoka
Joined Jan 2012
1,781 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
Meh, those are solid foamies with a CF rod in the leading edge side. They will be light, thats good. But they will also likely not be balanced well and might wobble around on you some. They are like the V120D02 and V120D05 stock blades. Not durable at all. First scrape or light clip on anything they will break. The 130X blades, reportedly, are some of the best non-stock blades available for the V120. For the cost and lack of durability, i would stick with the stock blades or try the 130x blades.
I have a set of orange and yellow 130x blades coming, but though I would try these as well. Didn't know they where flames when I ordered, but they sure make for stable flight. I guess just something different to try till the others arrive.
BThirsk is offline Find More Posts by BThirsk
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2012, 07:24 AM
Registered User
alfmateos's Avatar
Spain, Madrid, M
Joined May 2012
87 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zadaw View Post
It is nice to hear this. I wonder if they have sent you a new one or a repaired one from another customer? Also are they charging you for shipping and handling?
I don't have it here yet, so I'm wondering the same question also... I expect to receive it by next thursday, I'll post my feedback when I have it here ;-)
alfmateos is offline Find More Posts by alfmateos
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion new heli from walkera HIKO400? xyzy2 Micro Helis 15 Jan 12, 2012 12:16 PM
Sold Align 70A ESC W/BEC from 500/550 class Heli NEW! HD Hucker Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 3 Oct 13, 2011 01:37 PM
Discussion Ultra Durable Diamond Mini Gyro 3 Channel Indoor Ready to Fly RC Remote Control Heli LittleG Coaxial Helicopters 32 Jan 14, 2011 01:55 PM
Discussion Walker 4#3 throttle problem Ė new heli Ronon Micro Helis 2 Jan 24, 2009 05:22 PM